Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,665 members, 7,930,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 02:31 PM

Diesel Vs Petrol Engine? [IMAGE] - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Diesel Vs Petrol Engine? [IMAGE] (4199 Views)

1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL / How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine / Diesel To Petrol Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diesel Vs Petrol Engine? [IMAGE] by AutosBay(m): 10:31pm On Oct 28, 2014
Which do you prefer?

(A) Diesel engine
(B) Petrol engine

Re: Diesel Vs Petrol Engine? [IMAGE] by Lexusgs430: 11:11pm On Oct 28, 2014
Petrol........... Diesel too heavy on the foot, noisy(regardless of what people say), smelly etc etc etc
Re: Diesel Vs Petrol Engine? [IMAGE] by sultaan(m): 1:33am On Oct 29, 2014
Lexusgs430:
Petrol........... Diesel too heavy on the foot, noisy(regardless of what people say), smelly etc etc etc

Old diesel my brother, the new ones are a lot better than petrol because they get better mileage and last longer on the average
Re: Diesel Vs Petrol Engine? [IMAGE] by lonelydora: 5:24am On Oct 29, 2014
I will go for Diesel if it is the newer versions.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Vs Petrol Engine? [IMAGE] by Lexusgs430: 9:24am On Oct 29, 2014
sultaan:

Old diesel my brother, the new ones are a lot better than petrol because they get better mileage and last longer on the average

Do not agree. Last longer true, but other negatives still applies. I have driven a 1999 diesel vehicle also 2014 diesel vehicle.
You can paint stripes on a donkey, it still would not become a zebra !!!!!!
Re: Diesel Vs Petrol Engine? [IMAGE] by Mlud: 11:55am On Nov 01, 2014
The benefits of modern diesels and the advent of technology from 1999 and 2014 are not comparable. The advantages far outweigh any perceived disadvantages. The performance torque and clean improvements over the years do go far beyong just painting stripes on a donkey.

I appreciate petrol engines and I have lived with them since I started driving. I love them as all supercars come with petrol engines. But I also have modern diesels in my stable and am in a good position to review them.

My wife prefers SUVs so we always have one. I certainly will not now invest in a petrol SUV (not again)knowing what I know about diesel performance. Still looking for a good diesel SUV for Naija.

I am experiencing 32-35 mpg against 17-20 mpg with higher torque figures (better aceleration) and more money in my pocket, yet enjoying the full benefits of a powerful 200bhp SUV.

I invite you to read the back to back road test performed by Top Gear of a BMW 535d Diesel and a BMW 535i Petrol and check out the real world performance and economy figures...whilst keeping an open mind. Jeremy Clarkson (though I rarely have time for him) was very surprised at the results.

I am not out to convert anyone who does not like diesels but you do need to approach them with an open mind. If you only jump into one infrequently and drive the car with the strong belief in the age old stereotypes then you will hardly enjoy the drive and still park the vehicle thinking that they are noisy slow smelly etc etc.

As long as it has a good turbo charger attached to it and it is a well sorted modern diesel, I'm game.

Modern diesels have moved on. Perhaps you should too.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Vs Petrol Engine? [IMAGE] by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 01, 2014
@ lonely Dora I agree with you.
Re: Diesel Vs Petrol Engine? [IMAGE] by Export1: 7:26pm On Nov 10, 2014
Petrol vs diesel. Factors to consider

Conventional wisdom says that petrol models tend to be faster, smoother and quieter than their diesel counterparts. However, diesel cars have become more refined, as carmakers have developed ways to mask the trademark signs - to the point where you may even struggle to tell the difference in some upmarket models. Often, the visible give away is the rev counter, which will have a much lower rev limit than one for a petrol car.
Diesel engines also offer increased torque (pulling power) from low revs, which is especially useful when towing or overtaking.
Diesel cars are more efficient, and so use less fuel for a given mileage, potentially causing less damage to the environment (especially if fitted with a diesel particulate filter to trap the nasty soot-like emissions many associate with diesels).

1 Like

Re: Diesel Vs Petrol Engine? [IMAGE] by omar22(m): 7:24am On Nov 11, 2014
Noise or no Noise I will go for Diesel, yes they are slow off the mark, on one full tank of Fuel I could drive from London to Liverpool and back and still have some fuel left.... you cant try that with petrol...

My Neighbour who bought my old 406 (diesel) drove it to Poland and back for xmas

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Football Stars And Their Cars (Pictures) / Between Matrix And Camry Sports 2008 / Nissan Maxima 2003: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (service Engine Soon Light)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.