Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,199 members, 7,913,407 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 06:05 AM

Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down (5205 Views)

Ongoing Biafra Protest In Alaba Market, Lagos (Pictures) / Ambode And Vice-president Elect Osinbajo Shut Down Alaba Market / Abuja Airport To Be Shut For Two Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Go Down)

Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by blokoncept(m): 1:11pm On Nov 24, 2008
Last week the almighty computer village was shut down b/c inefficiency to pay their tax rates. Behold the ALABA INT'L MARKET is the next. This has been passed in the bill this morning.

Two cases against ALABA MARKET:
a) PIRACY - NCC is about to invade the same market
b) LIRS - is about to invade the Market.

Nigeria people wetin we go do?
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by asha80(m): 1:49pm On Nov 24, 2008
Well if it is about piracy then something ought to be done to eradicate it but closing down the whole market shocked another mini civil war
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by Tonim(f): 2:07pm On Nov 24, 2008
If people cooperate with the lagos Internal Revenue Service (LIRS), then the market will not be shut down. The
computer village was shut down because the operators did not heed to the govt's warning.

Fashola is not bent on shutting down markets anyhow, he is asking these businesses to pay their taxes. It is
up to the alaba market business people to determine their fate.

Now to the piracy issue, well that's a different case.
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by lucabrasi(m): 2:16pm On Nov 24, 2008
rather than unnecessary sensationalism,it ll be beneficial to the alaba traders to select a representative and actually liase with the government on how to sort things out or el;se they will be closed down and nothing will happen
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by AmakaOne(f): 2:19pm On Nov 24, 2008
Tonim:

If people cooperate with the lagos Internal Revenue Service (LIRS), then the market will not be shut down. The
computer village was shut down because the operators did not heed to the govt's warning.

Fashola is not bent on shutting down markets anyhow, he is asking these businesses to pay their taxes. It is
up to the alaba market business people to determine their fate.

Now to the piracy issue, well that's a different case.

I concur.

If the traders at Alaba want to keep their businesses running and the market open, they know what they need to do to comply. Running helter skelter bemoaning the closure of the market will not help their cause.
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by blokoncept(m): 2:41pm On Nov 24, 2008
what of the ibo men wants to bribe their way thru, will this works

discover true leadership@
www.focusmindset(dot)(dot)com
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by hbrednic: 2:42pm On Nov 24, 2008
@poster,
tell them to do the right thing.
pay ur taxes or be shut down period.which kin help are you asking for?
i wonder why all this people find it too difficult to pay taxes  
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 24, 2008
lucabrasi:

rather than unnecessary sensationalism,it ll be beneficial to the alaba traders to select a representative and actually liase with the government on how to sort things out or el;se they will be closed down and nothing will happen

shikena! wink
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by edatika(m): 3:15pm On Nov 24, 2008
lucabrasi:

yes o
i concur,
absolutely nothing will happen neither will heaven fall
they 'd better wake up, and play their own role too
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by Sholeyb: 3:41pm On Nov 24, 2008
I am in total agreement with Fashola on this one; we all have to pay taxes. In other countries people are not only jailed for tax evasion, but their assets are frozen and sold off to set off against the tax and they are made bankrupt in extreme cases, there was a celebrity made bankrupt recently by HMRC in UK. Nobody is above the law and so it should be in Naija.

I just hope the taxes obtained will be used for the right purpose and will not end up in someone’s pocket.
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by waoosa(m): 3:48pm On Nov 24, 2008
@poster, you may want to ask, what do they do with the money. No good road, no light etc.

Pay ur tax first then we will all have mouth to challenge government. One step at a time. Europe and America that you people go to and claims everything works don't joke with tax.

For Piracy, Good riddance to bad rubbish. Do you think you think it is easy to produce music or film? Na so them take piracy kill BABASALA. Who knows him here? after the guy borrowed money from National bank to make the film and showed in Cinema. Before you say jack robinson the cassette is already everywhere . The man nearly die.
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by wunmilyn(f): 3:52pm On Nov 24, 2008
@ poster,
the best thing to do is to pay ur tax fee everybody has to pay their tax fees
and for piracy that too has to com to an end.
comply!!!!! or market shut down.

chikena
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by Kobojunkie: 4:06pm On Nov 24, 2008
waoosa:

@poster, you may want to ask, what do they do with the money. No good road, no light etc.

Pay ur tax first then we will all have mouth to challenge government. One step at a time. Europe and America that you people go to and claims everything works don't joke with tax.

For Piracy, Good riddance to bad rubbish. Do you think you think it is easy to produce music or film? Na so them take piracy kill BABASALA. Who knows him here? after the guy borrowed money from National bank to make the film and showed in Cinema. Before you say jack robinson the cassette is already everywhere . The man nearly die.

I like the way you think there!!! Pay BUT hold government accountable for every dime!!!
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by cabali(m): 4:20pm On Nov 24, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I like the way you think there!!! Pay and then hold government accountable for every dime!!!

Finally making sense; good!
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by otokx(m): 4:22pm On Nov 24, 2008
Let them pay their taxes but Fashola should do more, BRT is not the end of the road.
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by ayobase(m): 4:31pm On Nov 24, 2008
tax is the most paramount
and it has to be paid,
our revenue generation!!!!
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by cabali(m): 4:32pm On Nov 24, 2008
What I can say is that before it is too late, the marketers should put their books together, if they owe, they should go and pay up or else ikeja will repeat in alaba and all they can do is curse and complain but they will stay closed.

As for the piracy issue, it is about time cause you have all these artiste in the country do so well only to get robbed by piracy. So I am down with the curbbing of that!

Fashola is a lawyer and an intelligent one at that, he has his act together if not you will have people like Gani or Festus keyamo attack him.

I remember back then when he had TV and media commercials begging people to pay tax and the importance of it. He had Pastor Adeboye and an Imam speak in those TV commercials. what else do u want the man to do? go and knee down in front of these cats and beg  

NEVER!!!!!!
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by cabali(m): 4:44pm On Nov 24, 2008
Every year I calculate what I pay as tax and have been doing so for years. It is quite high but I pay that very well. If anyone should complain abt the misuse of tax then it should be us who pay so much to the government.

But even at that I will not complain cos fashola started well and is doing well so far; and I will gladly continue to pay tax to his administration afterall i have people doing the same in other states and there is no improvement of any sort. So yeah, I will keep paying and those that dont pay are cheats to us that pay and should be shut down with fat chains.
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by Uby40(m): 5:09pm On Nov 24, 2008
i believe its a great step ffwd in eradicating piracy from our country. cant we ever do something the right way for once?
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by redsun(m): 6:07pm On Nov 24, 2008
I wonder,the good way or no way at all.We should all reorientate to do the right thing.War against indiscipline.
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by DoubleN(m): 10:24pm On Nov 24, 2008
Its a good step against fighting piracy.Just think of all the talented artists that are going hungry all because this menace that has been plaguing the Entertainment Inddustry
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by lucabrasi(m): 10:38pm On Nov 24, 2008
having said all that,lets not forget te artistes will still suffer because the main marketers who pay i bulk to market their cds and dvds are the ones in alaba and if their distribution network is shut down then how r the likes of tuface and dbanj going to distribute their works
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by allboyz(m): 11:13pm On Nov 24, 2008
Hi all.

Nice posts here, let me add quickly that I'm not a Govt.official but I'm a patriotic Lagosian and Nigeria as well.

Poverty is not the lack to basic necessity,rather its the confession of inability, most Nigerians aren't thinking,,,,they just want things to be done.and they are not ready to take the sacrifice, at this point, i think 70% of Nigeria are stubborn and as a result,they should be treated in such condition,

Look,the way forward is for us to know what to do without been told and act to them quickly.

The govt. such as Lagos would have sent warnings or letters to those traders and besides,since they are trading and making money in this BELOVED CITY of Lagos,are they needed to be told before they pay their taxes? They go to China,USA,Japan to buy goods,ship them in and pay customs duties and courier charges,make profits and NOT willing to pay tax! common,this FASH man has a vision for Lagos,and he needs you and i,including our monies and his monies as well to turn this city into our "ever wanting paradise"

they had been advert on all local TV station such as LTV,AIT,TVC,MBI about taxes,where the GOVT even used KING SUNNY ADE to compose a song about PAYING TAXES,

Taxes are fundamentals, its worth jailing, we are all clamoring that USA is good,with roads,electricity and other fundamentals, its took them over 150Years to achieve those things,in the states,if you don't pay your tax on time -YOU WILL BE JAILED. and the GOVT. would seize you houses,cars and even auction them, if after sales,the money is still not up to,you will in debt.,, Now Nigeria is 48YRs,and there is a short Cut,we are all aware of tax now,abi? why not adhere and start from here so that before 70Yrs of Independent, 2020 = 2030 we are among the op 20 countries of the world,

TO ALL:::: If you are working or NOT,as long as you are transacting a business,and your making profit in this city,Lagos, pay your offerings and tithes in churches,and the calculate your taxes and pay at your local govt.

Lets make this city - Lagos the best<not abuja, Lagos is the centre of AFRICA, FASH have a vision,why not key into it

Best Regards Lagosian, lets go back to work now and make more money , EKO O NI BAJE O

UP NIGERIA!!!!!
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by MrCrackles(m): 2:33am On Nov 25, 2008
I hope they invade Alaba too grin
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by Mustay(m): 6:57am On Nov 25, 2008
If Computer Village was also closed for environmental reasons, I wonder why Alaba hasn't been closed since. Tax is a major source of revenue to any government and Lagos is no exception as long as govt is utilizing it for the betterment of the state and her people.
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by Mustay(m): 7:00am On Nov 25, 2008
The annoying aspect is that when these tax evaders take Nigeria's money abroad, they are heavily taxed! Pathetic!
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by adconline(m): 8:41am On Nov 25, 2008
Why does Fashola have to start his idiotic tax policies with computer village? simple answer weakest in the political chain and most likely to cave in on any shake down. As for folks saying pay up your taxes and hold the government accountable to every dime - it sounds like an American rhetoric- How could this work in Lagos? If you cannot hold the govt account on about $500 million it generates monthly from FG and local revenues how can you hold the govt accountable on 10k it collects from these traders?

Are the problems we have Nigeria as result of citizens not paying their taxes or the govt mismanaging the wealth? In Nigeria, we have folks who paid for elections and got selected asking people to pay taxes without giving an accurate account how they have spent all the money they have got in the last oil boom.

Taxation offers you a chance to sit at the table, this leads to a political representation in democratic countries. Taxation by political representation is what we should striving for not taxation by a political hegemony that has no regard for welfare of the people because in the first place masses did not have a say in the way they emerged as selected political jobbers. There can never be taxation without equal political representation.

A big question for all these pay all taxes advocates, why dont you ask the government to put basic amenities and ask for Lagosians to pay for taxes later. Its like your Landlord asking you to pay rent on a house that is not yet built or your mechanic charging for a repair that is not yet done. Its like buying a huge stake in a company where you don’t have any voting or controlling right.

Taxation does not come in anticipation of delivery of services, but rather comes as a price for providing good services.
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by Adexy001(f): 9:12am On Nov 25, 2008
@adconline,

, can you for once try to be reasonable? The issue is pay your tax. Why justify what is not? Must you see what it is used for before you pay?

Abeg no legalise illegality- no right way in doing a wrong thing bo!!
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by adconline(m): 9:58am On Nov 25, 2008
Adexy001

You dont understand what taxation means. If after paying taxes, you still have to take care of the amenities that govt is supposed to provide for , then folks should not be taxed. Govt is a social contract and the political class is reneging on that contract and you are asking the other party (weakest bargainer) to fulfill its obligation?. There is no govt in the lives of these traders. They built their shops, pay rents, paid custom and vat duties, provided security, provided electricity, paid for clean and trash pick up etc and the govt is asking for taxes. FOR WHAT services? Would Fashola go against Dangote or Shell if they owe Lagos govt?
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by Mustay(m): 10:25am On Nov 25, 2008
adconline:

Adexy001

You don't understand what taxation means. If after paying taxes, you still have to take care of the amenities that govt is supposed to provide for , then folks should not be taxed. Govt is a social contract and the political class is reneging on that contract and you are asking the other party (weakest bargainer) to fulfill its obligation?. There is no govt in the lives of these traders. They built their shops, pay rents, paid custom and vat duties, provided security, provided electricity, paid for clean and trash pick up etc and the govt is asking for taxes. FOR WHAT services? Would Fashola go against Dangote or Shell if they owe Lagos govt?

How do you know they pay VAt duties?

The trash they throw away, who disposes them off?

Pay your tax. services shall be provided.
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by angelina08(f): 1:01pm On Nov 25, 2008
Last week was computer village, shut down because inefficiency to pay their tax rates, Now it is the mighty market we have at Lagos State "Alaba Market".

What is going on, if there are any tax or rates to be paid, pls give them the time to pay it. Pls shuting down markets will not help.

All this markets are were peoples are hoping with in this Christmas time, to help there families needs. Pls so that we will not increase stilling in Lagos State. Pls, ooooo,
Re: Help! Alaba Market To Be Shut Down by dlox01(m): 1:10pm On Nov 25, 2008
adconline:

Adexy001

You don't understand what taxation means. If after paying taxes, you still have to take care of the amenities that govt is supposed to provide for , then folks should not be taxed. Govt is a social contract and the political class is reneging on that contract and you are asking the other party (weakest bargainer) to fulfill its obligation?. There is no govt in the lives of these traders. They built their shops, pay rents, paid custom and vat duties, provided security, provided electricity, paid for clean and trash pick up etc and the govt is asking for taxes. FOR WHAT services? Would Fashola go against Dangote or Shell if they owe Lagos govt?

lagos state that goes against federal govt, what is shell and dangote??abeg find something say.Everybody should pay thier taxes,u can see the improvments already n its not fiar on many coz they are paying then some computer village n alaba boys are not paying.its even easier self coz they are all in one geographical location so they can easily be aprehended grin

(1) (2) (3)

Police Seal Off Ogun State Governor’s Office, Assembly ! / WACL To Build $50m Ceramic Tile Factory / Imagine Nigeria Without Fuel Boasting To Engage South-east/south-south In War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.