Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,695 members, 7,945,131 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 11:42 AM

Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? (5044 Views)

Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? / Name One American Movie Without A Kiss In It? / Stephanie Okereke's New American Movie "through The Glass" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Rhema(f): 8:30pm On Aug 09, 2006
Good day to you all. I am new to this forum and do not know if this question has been asked already, though I've tried searching. Can a Nigerian who is resident here break into the American movie industry without his/her accent being a barrier. I watched Eddie Murphy's "Coming to America" and wondered why Nigerians or other authentic African Actors and Actresses were not cast in that movie rather than Americans with fake accents. I am talented and would like to feature in an African movie here in the USA. I just don't know how to go about it. Do Nigerian Directors set up auditions here when they come to film? I participate in my church drama which has always been a hit. I live in Houston, Texas. Any pointers? Thanking you in anticipation of your useful advice. God bless.
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by naijadiva2(f): 8:33pm On Aug 09, 2006
sure why not and by the welcome to NL
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by iice(f): 8:41pm On Aug 09, 2006
Sure you can it's just a long tough rough road getting there coz there's so many people wanting to breaking into hollywood. Good luck sha and by the way welcome to NL
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Rhema(f): 8:44pm On Aug 09, 2006
Thanks. But how? Do you know where they advertize?

Much love,
Rhema
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by dollypee1(f): 8:58pm On Aug 09, 2006
u mean a nigerian 4rm nigeria? d accent is first thing dats gon disqualify one.
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Rhema(f): 9:25pm On Aug 09, 2006
Dolly-Pee, you got my point! In which case one is confined to Nigerian Drama. That's even if the market is big enough here. I never see those Nigerian Directors here. Maybe some of us can participate in their movies. I mean quality ones like Mainframe, Tunde Kelani, Tade Ogidan etc.
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by needeeg(m): 9:27pm On Aug 09, 2006
gate intouch with Nollywood gurl!!
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Rhema(f): 10:08pm On Aug 09, 2006
Thanks Needegg. But do you have any contacts in Nollywood? Do you know of any Casting Director Like Zeb Ejiro or Lancelot Imasuen coming this way? Email addresses? cell phone numbers? Remember I reside in the U.S.

Cheers,
Rhema
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Raymand(m): 8:35am On Aug 10, 2006
I'd love to see a South African make it in Hollywood, at least they know when to shut up when they should!
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by dollypee1(f): 12:40pm On Aug 10, 2006
@ ray, do u no even Americans are queing for roles in d usa? d movie industry in SA is good too,sallywood? why wldnt she stay there and hope for a better future in d industry.
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by needeeg(m): 1:29pm On Aug 10, 2006
Rhema:

Thanks Needegg. But do you have any contacts in Nollywood? Do you know of any Casting Director Like Zeb Ejiro or Lancelot Imasuen coming this way? Email addresses? cell phone numbers? Remember I reside in the U.S.

Cheers,
Rhema
well i dont know any Directors Pohne or Email, but i have Emeka Enyochi's number is an Actor guess u know so u cant contact him by +2348023148556
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Rhema(f): 6:25pm On Aug 10, 2006
Thanks for that info Needegg. Though I don't know that Actor (Emeka Enyochi), I hope he wouldn't mind you giving out his number. Do you know any movies he featured in?

Cheers,
Rhema
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by needeeg(m): 8:33pm On Aug 11, 2006
Rhema:

Thanks for that info Needegg. Though I don't know that Actor (Emeka Enyochi), I hope he wouldn't mind you giving out his number. Do you know any movies he featured in?

Cheers,
Rhema
Big Brothers is a nice movie though!!
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by hayan(m): 2:33pm On Nov 15, 2007
I Strongly believe a Nigerian can break into it, provided you are very good and this takes years of training and my dear you can start from the nearest stage to you. I have come to realize that stage drama is the beginig of greatness in the movie industry. most people might disagree with this, but I tell you it is the truth. Do you know Olu Jacob or his wife, Joke? Even the great cinematographer Tunde Kelani will tell you to start their. So my advise is taht you should engage yourself with any drama troupe around their, develop your acting skill and write scripts if you can. Shakespear will tell you that a thousand miles journey begins with a step. You can contact me for adivise on acting and script writing.
hayanmehayan@yahoo.com wink
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Rhema(f): 7:46am On Nov 23, 2007
Thanks Hayan, I have actually been participating in  stage drama locally for about 6 months now.
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Seun(m): 8:21am On Nov 23, 2007
Why not attempt to "break into" other African or third world markets before aiming at the most challenging one?
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Rhema(f): 6:54am On Nov 24, 2007
Seun, but where are the African or third world markets we can "break into" here in the USA? We rarely see those directors. The US is a very large place. If you are aware of any, please point me in the right direction smiley.
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Seun(m): 8:46am On Nov 24, 2007
Oops, I guess I wasn't thinking about Nigerians in the US.
You'll probably have to emigrate to break into another movie market.
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by cr8tivei: 11:57am On Nov 27, 2007
Its not impossible for a Nigerian to break into the industry but he or she had better be dam good, professional and ready to play hard ball better still dine with the devil
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by datnigadaz(m): 4:59am On Nov 30, 2007
a hint,,,,chiwetel ejiofor, Oris erubhilo and many more big time Holly wood actors are nigerians.
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Rhema(f): 5:42am On Dec 03, 2007
@ cr8tive i  and  datnigadaz. You have points there o. I remember a  saying that; it's better to shoot at the sky and  fall because there's a probability that one might land among the stars, than not to try at all  cool   .
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by datnigadaz(m): 2:15pm On Dec 03, 2007
I was a casting agent in the nineties and early 2000. I worked on some hollywood blockbusters specifically casting ethnic actors for various minor roles and as extras. Movies are about stories, and modern hollwood and independent film producers have established a niche for various ethnicities, cultures and accents. Exotism sells and anything outside the fauna of typecast hollywood (white caucasian appeal) is considered exotic and highly saught in modern film. Your accent could and should be an asset, that said you should make effort to assimilate and intergrate the mainstream american lingo to your arsenal to avoid being typecast. If you find that daunting, then learn to be diligently pronounced and deliberate in your manner of speaking regardless of what accent you have. great African American actors like Roscoe lee brown, James earl jones and some that I cant think of right now are immensly admired and demanded in Hollywood for thier voices, Its resonance and depth, a specificity to the African manner of voicing words in english. These actors will be the first to tell you that they practiced long and hard to learn and adapt the "African accent".
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Rhema(f): 5:54am On Dec 05, 2007
datnigadaz , ummm,  Interesting. I hear you. Thanks a bunch!!! smiley

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Seun(m): 9:28am On Dec 05, 2007
Independent movie or video podcast production might be a more better way to break into Hollywood,
Because you would have some control? Otherwise, your fate as an actor will depend equally on luck and skill.
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Blackcat(f): 1:44pm On Dec 05, 2007
A Nigerian can break into the hollywood movie industry, if you happen to be at the right place at the right time, accent is not a barrier as some may think. (Arnold Schwarzenegger was able to break in even with his strange accent)

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Seun(m): 4:46pm On Dec 05, 2007
Instead of waiting for the "right place and right time" why not take a more active role in your fate? Pick up a cheap video camera, make a video showcasing your skills and post it on youtube. Start somewhere.
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Nobody: 4:18am On Mar 16, 2010
Absolutely infact if you check the "wikipedia" profiles of some of the best black actors you'd be surprised how many of them are actually African born or have direct parentage from the continent. Nigerian actors are also prevalent in America, as far as the major roles there are only 3 i can think of but Naija actors do exist here in the US. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje is my favorite I ADORE that guy. Another favorite of mine is Gbenga Akinnagbe (though like Adewale, hes always playing a thug lol).
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Mar 16, 2010
Rhema:

Good day to you all. I am new to this forum and do not know if this question has been asked already, though I've tried searching. Can a Nigerian who is resident here break into the American movie industry without his/her accent being a barrier. I watched Eddie Murphy's "Coming to America" and wondered why Nigerians or other authentic African Actors and Actresses were not cast in that movie rather than Americans with fake accents. I am talented and would like to feature in an African movie here in the USA. I just don't know how to go about it. Do Nigerian Directors set up auditions here when they come to film? I participate in my church drama which has always been a hit. I live in Houston, Texas. Any pointers? Thanking you in anticipation of your useful advice. God bless.

the actors in coming to america did a great job, and casting an african actor for the same role might have a different effect on the overall dynamics of the movie.

sometimes the directors have specific visions and feels for their movies. Its not always automatically about being pc, stiff and specific.

eddie murphy was an AA playing a first generation african who migrated to america. Very hilarious and in tune with the film's message.

The main thing I found disturbing in the movie was the extravagance typically associated with the african leaders- it was a bit too much like what actually happens in real life.

the woman handpicked for eddie murphy was also too zombielike- is that a reflection on us?

"I like whatever you like, your majesty" Is that really the ideal for an african woman?

anyway @ topic, nigerian actors have made inroads into hollywood even as we type. For films with a direct political message, maybe African actors could be used, but its up to the director,imo.
Re: Can A Nigerian Break Into The American Movie Industry? by obinna5000(m): 2:59pm On Mar 17, 2010
Olatunde Osunsanmi is a Nigerian-born director based in the United States. He has directed films like "The Cavern (2005)" & "The Fourth Kind (2009)".

(1) (Reply)

Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? / Suggest Me A Nigerian Movie Please / Tinsel Discussion Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.