Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,929 members, 7,872,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:11 AM

Should We Stop Giving Tithe? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should We Stop Giving Tithe? (20255 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / How Do We Stop Islam ? / Why I Will Not Stop Giving To The Work Of God (part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 5:18pm On Mar 02, 2009
cfaithtv:

Tithe is very important and we should not stop.
YES it is very important to these pastors how else would they fund their lavish and flamboyant lifestyle?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 7:30pm On Mar 02, 2009
kunle,these people have been brain washed by these so called pastors.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 10:09am On Mar 03, 2009
The brainwashing is so thorough they cannot be redeemed, i can't imagine people still defending tithing despite the overwhelming evidence from the bible that it is not meant for christians and the way it is being carried out today is completely unscriptural.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 12:29pm On Mar 03, 2009
that is the brain washing we are talking abou,they have realy worked on them to the extend that they dont read their bible anymore,they only depend on what the pastors says.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by PastorAIO: 12:39pm On Mar 03, 2009
I think it is a bit too damning to state that they cannot be redeemed. Yes, the situation looks daunting from our perspective, but it doesn't happen by our powers, no matter the strength of the arguments.

Perhaps we should stop relying on our own understanding and our abilities to argue. The Truth cannot be arrived at via rhetorical arguments. The important thing is that you say what you have been inspired to say. The job of convincing anyone is not ours.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by TV01(m): 1:55pm On Mar 03, 2009
Pastor AIO:

I think it is a bit too damning to state that they cannot be redeemed. Yes, the situation looks daunting from our perspective, but it doesn't happen by our powers, no matter the strength of the arguments.

Perhaps we should stop relying on our own understanding and our abilities to argue. The Truth cannot be arrived at via rhetorical arguments. The important thing is that you say what you have been inspired to say. The job of convincing anyone is not ours.

I agree with Pastor here.

I was once a fully paid up - rabid even - card carrying Pentecostal. But my heart was always to know God for myself. I believe Christ offers an intimacy with God that no other religion/philosophy or faith does, and I yearned and sought that with all my heart.

As I sought I saw and had to make some hard choices, the primary one being seek God or serve man. I thank God for His grace in leading me out of man-made religion, but 3 things;

1. When I was in the throes of organised religion, no one could - by argument or rhetoric - have forced me out. I was once the most fervent proponent of tithing. I even condemned those that practised it, but had the termerity to debate whether it was net or gross. But I sought God and He spoke to my about tithing when I wasn't even querying its validity. Tradition or Truth? That choice will have to be made at various points of one's journey. It was the start of a series of revelations that led me out of menc churches.

2. Having come out, I had a phase of exhorting everyone about the dangers and railing against religion. You know what? most people are exactly as I was in 1. above. For a while, I became almost religiously anti-religious. I see that as another phase I went through.

3. All I can say is that "The Lord knows those who are His" and they hear His voice and follow Him. God is way beyond. Anyone that truly seeks Him He will lead. But it can be a hard and lonely path. Being anti-religion does not in itself make you pro-God or to know Him.

There are lots of people out there who may not worship like we do, practise what we preach, but be fervently seeking God. I for one believe He will make a way even for those.

Lots to say, but it's more about seeking than speaking.

Pastor, Kunle et al, hope you are all well, if anyone has intimacy with God to share I'm all ears.

God bless
TV

1 Like

Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 3:54pm On Mar 03, 2009
@TV01
You have truly spoken with wisdom. What pains me is that some charlatans have hijacked the faith(christianity) established by teachings of our lord jesus christ and using his name to gain credibilty subverted his teachings. Even though i was born and bread as a christian and i also personally accepted christ as lord over my life as a teenager, i did not truly get to know him until several years later when i decided to seek him for myself as i wasn't getting the answers to my questions from the church, that aside a lot of church teachings and doctrine just don't add up. there is too much contradiction and discrepancy in the church. I decided to study the Gospels and the epistles to know what Jesus was really about and what i discovered was devine wisdom which could not have come out of a human mind. This deepened my faith, i also realized that there was a lot of things wrong with organized religion and that most of them were contrary to the teachings of christ. In summary i discovered that the teachings of christ had more to do with us living good lives and helping (loving) ourselves. His greatest commandments to us was to love one and other and to love God. He also demostrated that to show we love God we show love to our fellow men. So essenciatially christian ity is about loving and caring for our fellow men this emphasis as been lost in the churches today and most christians just pay a lip service to it.

Mark 12:28-31:

The Most Important Commandment
   28 One of the teachers of religious law was standing there listening to the debate. He realized that Jesus had answered well, so he asked, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”

29 Jesus replied, “The most important commandment is this: ‘Listen, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. 30 And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’ 31 The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.”
James 1:27:
27 Pure and genuine religion/worship in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.

Kindly note that the above two passages are central to the TRUE teachings of christ unfortunately tithing, offerings, first fruit, seed sowing, pledges, thanksgiving e.t.c is what is central  to the teachings of our mordern day pastors.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by marvisjoy: 4:35pm On Mar 04, 2009
kunle you have realy spoken well.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by kenny888: 5:20pm On Mar 04, 2009
if we stop giving Tithe,all these pastors business sorry church will run down,bicos that is the only reason why people goes into pastoring now.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 9:31pm On Mar 04, 2009
they will close shop oh sorry church
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by freelance(m): 4:03am On Mar 05, 2009
It's very important you pay your tithe.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by SirJohn(m): 4:23am On Mar 05, 2009
freelance:

And if I dont??
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by freelance(m): 4:29am On Mar 05, 2009
SirJohn:

And if I dont??

Things would be Tight grin grin grin
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by SirJohn(m): 4:41am On Mar 05, 2009
freelance:

Things would be Tight grin grin grin

well sorry to burst your bubble, but so many of us have been waiting for the 'devourer' to come and 'tighten' our finances; he sill hasnt showed up grin grin
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 9:16am On Mar 05, 2009
SirJohn:

well sorry to burst your bubble, but so many of us have been waiting for the 'devourer' to come and 'tighten' our finances; he sill hasnt showed up grin grin
On the contrary it is tithers that are having things tight for them grin grin grin
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Gamine(f): 2:33pm On Mar 05, 2009

1. When I was in the throes of organised religion, no one could - by argument or rhetoric - have forced me out. I was once the most fervent proponent of tithing. I even condemned those that practised it, but had the termerity to debate whether it was net or gross. But I sought God and He spoke to my about tithing when I wasn't even querying its validity. Tradition or Truth? That choice will have to be made at various points of one's journey. It was the start of a series of revelations that led me out of menc churches.

2. Having come out, I had a phase of exhorting everyone about the dangers and railing against religion. You know what? most people are exactly as I was in 1. above. For a while, I became almost religiously anti-religious. I see that as another phase I went through.

3. All I can say is that "The Lord knows those who are His" and they hear His voice and follow Him. God is way beyond. Anyone that truly seeks Him He will lead. But it can be a hard and lonely path. Being anti-religion does not in itself make you pro-God or to know Him.

There are lots of people out there who may not worship like we do, practise what we preach, but be fervently seeking God. I for one believe He will make a way even for those.

Lots to say, but it's more about seeking than speaking

I think im passing through the second stage,

Thanks TV01, true words.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by TV01(m): 9:39pm On Mar 05, 2009
Gamine:

I think im passing through the second stage,

Thanks TV01, true words.

Ey yah Sister Gamine,

It has been abundantly clear from a lot of your posts. I never commented as we'd never really talked and every walk is personal. I gaurd mine jealously, but if you ever want to talk or share your journey.

Is this familiar;

It's a wrench to come out of organised religion. It's comforting, one is validated, accepted, lauded even. You would have felt at home, spiritual and like you were truly serving God. For a while you'll be a little lost, but hopefully the clarity of truth you've understood will stop you going back. In fact the move out can be an epiphany - accompanied by a better understanding and more clarity of that truth you grasped - and a sense of release.

But the withdrawal can be painful and protracted. Exacerbated by the length of time it was so overwhelming a part of your very existence. Not to mention the realisation that having left what is wrong, doesn't immediately mean you have laid hold of, or even know what is the true path of righteousness. It can be a little like a bereavement. Patterns, habits and schedules all askew - Sunday mornings for starters! A sense of loss, anger, frustration, helplessness and it can be knackering.

The road is narrow and there are few that find it.

There may be ostracism and slander to deal with. Many of those you thought you had an unbreakable bond with not only have no time for you, they will have a combination of pity and disdain for you, if they don't openly revile you. Finding people of similar leaning can seem nigh on impossible. Close relationship can be changed. If you are lucky maybe those who love you unconditionally, will still do so, but not really understand. Some perhaps will appreciate your passion, even if they don't get it.

You'll want to share this with everyone, but they'll be few that see what you have, or understand what too you may seem be obvious truth. Trying to explain will be mostly fruitless and frustrating. You see, belongong to a cult - be it the largest denomination or the smallest sect - is accompanied by a degree and form of spiritual bondage, blindness and stupor.

Additionally, there's the fact that you have some truth - enough to see the falsehood of organised religion - but not all, or possibly not enough to determine what next. Please keep trusting Him.

Narrow, hard and lonley. I wish there was a roadmap, but I suspect not. At least not in anything but the very broadest sense. Salvation is personal, as is the walk. But if it's Him you are after, I trust you will rejoice in the end. I don't know how long it's been or how long you've journeyed, but I wish you Godspeed and may the Lord be with you.

TV
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by MrCrackles(m): 9:42pm On Mar 05, 2009
freelance:

Who said so?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 9:42am On Mar 06, 2009
@TV01
I feel you my brother, i have similar experiences to yours. as you said there is no road map. in my case i still attend church occassionally but i don't get any fufillment from there. And sometimes i even get upset with the sermons/ doctrines cause i can now discern which is required of us by God. i constantly pray that God would reveal his will to me, but in the interim i let The two great commandments of Jesus Christ guide my christian walk.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by PastorAIO: 9:48am On Mar 06, 2009
TV01:

It's a wrench to come out of organised religion. It's comforting, one is validated, accepted, lauded even. You would have felt at home, spiritual and like you were truly serving God. For a while you'll be a little lost, but hopefully the clarity of truth you've understood will stop you going back. In fact the move out can be an epiphany - accompanied by a better understanding and more clarity of that truth you grasped - and a sense of release.

But the withdrawal can be painful and protracted. Exacerbated by the length of time it was so overwhelming a part of your very existence. Not to mention the realisation that having left what is wrong, doesn't immediately mean you have laid hold of, or even know what is the true path of righteousness. It can be a little like a bereavement. Patterns, habits and schedules all askew - Sunday mornings for starters! A sense of loss, anger, frustration, helplessness and it can be knackering.

There may be ostracism and slander to deal with. Many of those you thought you had an unbreakable bond with not only have no time for you, they will have a combination of pity and disdain for you, if they don't openly revile you. Finding people of similar leaning can seem nigh on impossible. Close relationship can be changed. If you are lucky maybe those who love you unconditionally, will still do so, but not really understand. Some perhaps will appreciate your passion, even if they don't get it.

You'll want to share this with everyone, but they'll be few that see what you have, or understand what too you may seem be obvious truth. Trying to explain will be mostly fruitless and frustrating. You see, belongong to a cult - be it the largest denomination or the smallest sect - is accompanied by a degree and form of spiritual bondage, blindness and stupor.

Additionally, there's the fact that you have some truth - enough to see the falsehood of organised religion - but not all, or possibly not enough to determine what next. Please keep trusting Him.

Narrow, hard and lonley. I wish there was a roadmap, but I suspect not. At least not in anything but the very broadest sense. Salvation is personal, as is the walk. But if it's Him you are after, I trust you will rejoice in the end. I don't know how long it's been or how long you've journeyed, but I wish you Godspeed and may the Lord be with you.

TV

Moving. And True.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Gamine(f): 5:17pm On Mar 06, 2009

is this familiar;

TV

It is familiar, All so true.

I tell people, its much harder to unlearn than to learn. .

I just cant believe it sometimes, i have been angry, confused, riddled with unbelief. .most of the people around me

have either lapsed into Agnosticism, some even Atheism, the other ones are still firmly grounded in this emptiness.

When i posted the thread about not going to church, i wanted to believe there was something wrong with me, not the things id believed in,

its just so hard most times now, ive had major drama with my parents because of this,

Still, im happy my eyes are opening and i can only pray theirs open too.

Thanks for the encouragement . .

Blessings to you also

i constantly pray that God would reveal his will to me, but in the interim i let The two great commandments of Jesus Christ guide my christian walk.

Exactly!

smiley
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 8:16pm On Mar 09, 2009
i dont understand this?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by REALTRUTH1: 4:20am On Mar 10, 2009
@TV01:Your posts are quite inspiring,,God bless you man.Nevertheless lets keep seek God via His words irrespective of the fact that men(Pastors or Bishops) seems to be failing us.
You might want to check out this link and see the new height or levels of what our tithes,seed sowing etc are doing.To the point that some are even having 2 private Jets,,,common man!!
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=137736
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by dejiariyo: 10:02am On Mar 10, 2009
yall need to pay ur tithe, jesus is coming very soon.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 10:27am On Mar 10, 2009
dejiariyo:

yall need to pay ur tithe, jesus is coming very soon.
Will you stop using Jesus name to spread lies and deception Jesus NEVER requested his followers to pay tithe. Tithing is contrary to christian beliefs and the teachings of the Jesus and the Apostles.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 12:30pm On Mar 10, 2009
dejiariyo,do you read your bible at all?what can you tell us about paying of tithes and back it up with scriptures from the new testament,dont come and spread what you dont know on this forum.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by seyenko(m): 1:18pm On Mar 10, 2009
Why wont you pay tithe or where will the money come from. Even Fela Kuti said 'na pastor's house na im they fine pass and na dem dey do bad things pass thru Jesus Christ our Lord Amen ! Amen! Amen'

Redeemed Church Acquires N4bn Aircraft

The Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) has acquired a new aircraft for N4 billion ($28 million).
The aircraft, a Gulfstream 4XP, with number 707EA, arrived Lagos from Bahamas last Sunday.
Industry insiders said the Gulfstream 4XP is a transatlantic aircraft that has the capacity of about 15 passengers depending on the configuration.
The church acquired the aircraft years after the General Overseer of Living Faith Worldwide, a.k.a. Winners Chapel, Bishop David Oyedepo, acquired a Challenger aircraft, with number D6640, which was parked a few meters away from Adeboye’s Gulfstream when THISDAY visited the airside of General Aviation Terminal (GAT) yesterday.
A pilot told THISDAY that the aircraft and many others privately owned by Nigerians are not registered with Nigerian code “N” because “they usually say that they chattered it for a while whenever they are questioned. You know Bishop Oyedepo of Winners has been operating this aircraft (pointing to the Challenger) for some time, but it has remained in foreign registration number.”
THIDAY also learnt that Oyedepo has ordered for another aircraft bigger than the one acquired by Adeboye.
By 2.00 pm yesterday, officials who looked like engineers were seen inspecting the aircraft, which was allowed to rev for hours.
Besides buying the aircraft, a lot of money would be spent in maintaining it and paying the crew, in addition to the landing and parking charges.
Unlike a commercial aircraft which is always in the air, the private jet will spend more time on the ground and must be checked before taking off.
An aeronautical engineer with one of the airlines said besides the mandatory checks, much money would not be spent on its maintenance for now “because it is a new aircraft, but you know that there are rotables which are time-bound parts which are changed regularly.
“The same with refitting parts. These are parts that are changed after every 12 or 15 calendar months whether you are flying or not. So, acquiring a private aircraft means that you are ready to be spending money to keep it going.”
Expressing surprise on the purchase, a former official of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), who craved anonymity, said with the present global economic recession, it was shocking that anyone, even a business man could spend such money on a private aircraft.
He said: “This is unbelievable. You know the amount of poverty in this land, which I know is widespread. How can he acquire such aircraft when he knows that members of his church are suffering?
“Look, even the Pope does not have a private jet. I am a Catholic. It is true that Catholic is the richest church in the world in terms of artefacts but the Pope flies Alitalia. How can the Pope tell the church that he wants a private jet?”
Since 1999, many Nigerians have acquired private aircraft.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 1:19pm On Mar 10, 2009
God dey
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by marvisjoy: 7:13pm On Mar 10, 2009
we should stop giving tithes,shikena
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by arowolo888: 8:59pm On Mar 10, 2009
all i know is that tithing is not Biblical period.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 9:22pm On Mar 14, 2009
correct
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by marvisjoy: 8:42pm On Mar 15, 2009
Tithing is not biblical

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Who Is The Founder Of Jehovah’s Witnesses Organization / Join Whatsapp Group Where Latest Gospel Music Is Shared / Video Recording With 2 JW Elders After WT Child Sexual Abuse Studies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.