Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,132 members, 7,880,550 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 08:53 PM

Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) - Poems For Review (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) (72615 Views)

NPC End Of The Year Thanksgiving Cypher. / NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / 6 Memorable Poetry Collections By Nairaland Poets For 2014 - NPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by JigsawKillah(m): 9:03pm On Mar 12, 2015
Signing In as VP

cc
Gloriaz
Cisse7575
gladyys
Gottoboy
firestar
Texanomaly
Oma4u
et al
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Gladyys(f): 9:07pm On Mar 12, 2015
JigsawKillah:
Signing In as VP

cc
Gloriaz
Cisse7575
gladyys
Gottoboy
firestar
Texanomaly
Oma4u
et al
Seen,in .. Laykorn where at thou?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:07pm On Mar 12, 2015
[b] Enter the class, my eyes, searching for Everest, Donifez, Jig, and others, couldnt find any one.

Good evening class! Hoping to hear the students response. None, nothing, no one in the class. What should I do? I should start my class since we have lots of invisible students.

Articles Of Faith - Using Objects in Poetry.

'It (poetry) creates anew the universe, after it has been annihilated in our minds by the recurrence of impressions blunted by reiteration.'

'Description is itself a kind of travel.'

Tonight, I will start with doubting Thomas. In the New Testament, Thomas is famous as the disciple who is only convinced in the risen Christ when he sees the crucifixion wounds for himself, when his fingers can actually touch them. Christ's riposte is to tell him 'blessed are they that have not see, yet have believed'.

This is all very well for a religion. Religions require faith. Poetry is not a religion. Let's imagine that doubting Thomas is reading our poems. He is not prepared to take anything on faith; so what if you are happy or sad or angry, why should he believe you? The only way you can convince him of the truth of what you are saying is by making him feel it; with his eyes, his ears abf , yes, his fingers.

I have founded that using objects early on in a poetry course helps students to begging writing in a way that will satisfy the most doubting of Thomases. Focusing on an object sensitizes us again to the physical world, an alertness that tends to finish once we've left childhood behind. By using objects I am trying to help us recapture a sense of wonder, which in turn helps us rediscover or strengthens an excitement in the possibilities of language. The two are closely connected; just as we tend to use language in a formulaic way in ordinary life, so we can be lazy in the way we encounter the world physically. We spend a great deal of time editing out our environment, not noticing its richness as we tick off our tasks for the day.

There are other reasons, too, which make working with objects of particular value in writing of poetry. One of the differences between poetry and prose is, I think, a question of focus. Whilst acknowledging that there are areas where the two genres do overlap, in general, poetry is more tightly and intensely focused than prose. Reading prose is like walking into a room and switching on an overhead light: you can see everything in the room at once. Poetry on the other hand, is more like walking into the same room and switching on a torch: although you don't srr all that's there, what you do see appears with greater intensity by virtue of that single beam.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Qaisar1: 9:12pm On Mar 12, 2015
EverestdeBliu:
Nine on the dot...
Me don show class o...are my the only one here?
No sir
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by yuzjet(m): 9:14pm On Mar 12, 2015
Am here too... Sorry for coming late, it was due to my lithium source.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by donifez(m): 9:18pm On Mar 12, 2015
Am here.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Gladyys(f): 9:19pm On Mar 12, 2015
MY FIRST CLASS THO.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harlos: 9:19pm On Mar 12, 2015
M here
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by yuzjet(m): 9:20pm On Mar 12, 2015
Gladyys:
MY FIRST CLASS THO.

Not really my first though, but the first I'll be a loo in!
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:20pm On Mar 12, 2015
The first exercise that I bring to the class tonight is designed, therefore, with two aims in view: to encourage this intensity of focus and to bring the senses back into writing.

Tonight, let's forget about the meaning and messages, and to become like children again, exploring the world with a child's curiosity and immediacy.

Here is selection of household objects which include light bulb, scarf, spoon, pepper grinder... Etc. Each student is to explore his or chosen object further using his or her other senses, making notes on the appearance of his or her object, any sound it might make, taste, smell, etc. Each student should widen his or her writing to include any memories or other thoughts triggered by the object.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Qaisar1: 9:21pm On Mar 12, 2015
Gladyys:
MY FIRST CLASS THO.
Welcome
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Gladyys(f): 9:24pm On Mar 12, 2015
yuzjet:

Not really my first though, but the first I'll be a loo in!
WHATS TODAY'S LECTURES ABOUT?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Gladyys(f): 9:25pm On Mar 12, 2015
Qaisar1:

Welcome
Thank you
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:25pm On Mar 12, 2015
I hope you all enjoy the class tonight, I'm not as good as other teachers, I'm learning from you guys all. Once again, thank you all for coming into the class, Donifez, Yuzjet and others.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:26pm On Mar 12, 2015
Gladyys:
MY FIRST CLASS THO.
Ekabo!
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by yuzjet(m): 9:26pm On Mar 12, 2015
Gladyys:

Can u scroll up on the page please?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harlos: 9:27pm On Mar 12, 2015
cisse7575:
The first exercise that I bring to the class tonight is designed, therefore, with two aims in view: to encourage this intensity of focus and to bring the senses back into writing.

Tonight, let's forget about the meaning and messages, and to become like children again, exploring the world with a child's curiosity and immediacy.

Here is selection of household objects which include light bulb, scary, spoon, pepper grinder... Etc. Each student is to explore his or chosen object further using his or her other senses, making notes on the appearance of his or her object, any sound it might make, taste, Snell, etc. Each student should widen his or her writing to include any memories or other thoughts triggered by the object.
My mother's spoon for example?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:27pm On Mar 12, 2015
Gladyys:

Articles Of Faith - Using Objects in Poetry.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:30pm On Mar 12, 2015
Sir Cisse,pls proof-read your post
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:32pm On Mar 12, 2015
harlos:

My mother's spoon for example?
Fantastic! But what about "My Mother's Cooking Spoon"? That will make it more interesting... People will like to know what you want say about your moms spoon, her cooking? What is the job of the spoon when she cooked... Etc
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by JigsawKillah(m): 9:32pm On Mar 12, 2015
the King's spoon, as we called it
the one that causes commotion at the dining
made of pure silver, with a long handle
at the top of it, is engraved a crown
then came fights, till none gets to use it
we were kids, and didn't find it amusing
mom placed a law, first person to reach there
gets to use it, but we didn't care
we played the rugby game for its cause
only to wake up and find it gone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Qaisar1: 9:35pm On Mar 12, 2015
The heavy beams of light bulbs
Chimes of clinging spoons
Unending rollercoaster of the fan blades
Flaming taste of "Apkoko"
Gyrating standing fan

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:39pm On Mar 12, 2015
EverestdeBliu:
Sir Cisse,pls proof-read your post
thanks, I will always like to learn from you sir,
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:44pm On Mar 12, 2015
JigsawKillah:
this is great brother. But you never tell us why you like it as a kid, how it felt in your hands etc
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harlos: 9:47pm On Mar 12, 2015
Its scary look is frightening
as we move closer in evening
our neighbour's crooked door
made from a woody stem
joined with patches to keep it firm
makes their house look dull
the color is blurry
because there was no paint to furnish
the door makes excessive sound
as he bangs with full force
we laugh and joke at it
in the morning as we go to school
we dare not do such on our way back at noon
our mother warned against our act
as our neighbour is a nice man.

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by JigsawKillah(m): 9:52pm On Mar 12, 2015
JigsawKillah:
it weighs like 2 karats gold
solid, like the treasures of old
the kings feeling is natural
that spoon came from somewhere supernatural

modified

cc
Cisse
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by yuzjet(m): 10:00pm On Mar 12, 2015
The light bulb

"As the darkness flow into the world
For the disappearance of a fount wide ray
With my eyes becomes dysfunctional
With life metamorphose widely dark
Like the inside grave of hell bound sinner
Show courtesy to science.
Incandescence with tungsten
Slaughter the darkness
For the beautiful light has come".
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Gladyys(f): 10:06pm On Mar 12, 2015
I get the chills at night wen it drones,
i'l ask who sang wen its dawn,
held up by its feet,
with 3 kiths n kin dat neva meet,
it fiercely works,
it weapons clearly talks,
while cuttin round circles with its blade,
and when it blows the signs of heat on my skin quickly fade
i feel like a star
each time i stare at the fans....
ehm! hws this?(cover face).
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 10:39pm On Mar 12, 2015
JigsawKillah:

modified

cc
Cisse
fantastically written.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 10:43pm On Mar 12, 2015
harlos:
Its scary look is frighten
as we move closer in evening
our neighbour's crooked door
makes their house look dull
we laugh and joke at it
in the morning as we go to school
we dare not do such on our way back at noon
our mother warned against our act
as our neighbour is a nice man.
this is good objects, but you are not making use of most of what you have.
Make us see the door. The color of the door.
What sound did the door make when opened or closed? Was it openable by kids or too Harvey for kids..etc
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 10:46pm On Mar 12, 2015
yuzjet:
The light bulb

"As the darkness flow into the world
For the disappearance of a fount wide ray
With my eyes becomes dysfunctional
With life metamorphose widely dark
Like the inside grave of hell bound sinner
Show courtesy to science.
Incandescence with tungsten
Slaughter the darkness
For the beautiful light has come".
perfectly written, write up bros.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 10:48pm On Mar 12, 2015
Gladyys:
I get the chills at night wen it drones,
i'l ask who sang wen its dawn,
held up by its feet,
with 3 kiths n kin dat neva meet,
it fiercely works,
it weapons clearly talks,
while cuttin round circles with its blade,
and when it blows the signs of heat on my skin quickly fade
i feel like a star
each time i stare at the fans....
ehm! hws this?(cover face).
what or where is the object here? Please explain

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (61) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.