Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,140 members, 7,973,846 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 08:47 AM

Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) (18490 Views)

30 Facts About Owners Of Nigeria’s Richest Oil Blocks In The Midst Of Poverty / Chimamanda Adichie's NYTimes Article On Nigeria's Epileptic Power Supply / US: Boko Haram A Franchise Hired By North & South, Alike – Nytimes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by felifeli: 12:20am On Dec 11, 2008
@tpia
You will be crazy to post any more responses. Like I previously mentioned you are just being baited and I'm sure you have better things to do with your life than feeding swines.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 12:22am On Dec 11, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Cayon(f): 2:05am On Dec 11, 2008
@debosky

TITUS!! to all your responses especially #85 on page 3

Peace

Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by dremoney(m): 4:27am On Dec 11, 2008
I'm still trying to figure the cause of argument and insults here,

bottom line of the story is 'Lagos is messed up' (watever ur class) which is true,

Suffering and Smiling ( with due respect to Abami-Eda) - Fela Anikulapo Kuti
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Cayon(f): 5:02am On Dec 11, 2008
dremoney:

I'm still trying to figure the cause of argument and insults here,

bottom line of the story is 'Lagos is messed up' (watever ur class) which is true,

Suffering and Smiling ( with due respect to Abami-Eda) - Fela Anikulapo Kuti
re the highlight. yea, a de same ting me a say

Peace

Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Jakumo(m): 6:32am On Dec 11, 2008
Cayon:

@debosky

TITUS!! to all your responses especially #85 on page 3

Peace

Canyon I would recognise that furry face anywhere.  Why, that is Sargent Mumuni of the " Wettin you carry" fame, and he looks none too happy in this newly released picture.  Why has been stripped of his uniform, and why is he behind bars ?    It is really a sad day for Nigeria when one of our illustrious sons can be humiliated in this way.  How can Nigerian civilians expect justice and equity when this demeaning treatment is being meted out to members of our gallant mobile police force ?

Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by thetruth90: 8:46am On Dec 11, 2008
Muza:

this is lagos

shut up! lipsrsealed the dirt in lagos is still better than the illiterate islamist extremists in northern nigeria. it is dirty, but inhabited by human beings and not the indigenous animals that inhabit northern nigeria.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by AlamTara: 9:45am On Dec 11, 2008
The bible says as a man thinketh in his heart so is he.
Your outer reality is a reflection of your inner being. Did you see the picture? That is the true state of Nigeria. That is you and me. Lets not run away from it!Nigerians are a dirty, corrupt, ill-mannered and ill-bred group of people.
Who is responsible for making Nigeria a better place?
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by AlamTara: 9:55am On Dec 11, 2008
Canyon I would recognise that furry face anywhere.  Why, that is Sargent Mumuni of the " Wettin you carry" fame, and he looks none too happy in this newly released picture. 
Why has been stripped of his uniform, and why is he behind bars ?    It is really a sad day for Nigeria when one of our illustrious sons can be humiliated in this way. 
How can Nigerian civilians expect justice and equity when this demeaning treatment is being meted out to members of our gallant mobile police force ?

Jakumo I feel you.Tell it as it is.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by felifeli: 9:57am On Dec 11, 2008
Alam-Tara:

The bible says as a man thinketh in his heart so is he.
Your outer reality is a reflection of your inner being. Did you see the picture? That is the true state of Nigeria. That is you and me. Lets not run away from it!Nigerians are a dirty, corrupt, ill-mannered and ill-bred group of people.
Who is responsible for making Nigeria a better place?

Speak for yourself Oga . The bible didn't say this about me , and i am definitely none of these. Good luck to you in your self-confessions cheesy cheesy.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by DejiYesufu(m): 1:32pm On Dec 11, 2008
Nice write up! For those ready to crucify the writer they should understand that it isn't normal in civilized countries to have such wide gap btw the rich and the poor. Lagos is a perfect example of this and no matter what Fashola does armed bandits will always find Lagos lucrative to invade.
God forbid we get used to the abnormal in this country!
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by AngieFan(f): 3:27pm On Dec 11, 2008
LOL@ this entire thread. Tipsy, Foolifeli and the like trying to defend the indefensible. . .that is the hellhole that Nigeria is for tens of millions of Nigerians today.

You guys want more pics? tongue

Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 3:45pm On Dec 11, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by JustGood(m): 4:43pm On Dec 11, 2008
where una dey see these pics? me I no know these places o
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by dremoney(m): 5:04pm On Dec 11, 2008
tpia:

angiefan is still posting pictures of her neighborhood where she was born and bred in Nigeria?

na wa for these gutter sniffers o! The gutter fumes are so addictive- you just can't quit, can you!!

carry on! We like seeing where you grew up! Helps us understand you better!

i take that to be your sense of humour, because what you're looking at is real and extremely bad

AngieFan:

LOL@ this entire thread. Tipsy, Foolifeli and the like trying to defend the indefensiblethat is the hellhole that Nigeria is for tens of millions of Nigerians today.

You guys want more pics? tongue

tnx bro, church don close!!!!!
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by babadee(m): 5:10pm On Dec 11, 2008
posting pics aint gonna change anything,
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by babadee(m): 5:17pm On Dec 11, 2008
Until something gives,
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 5:17pm On Dec 11, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Jakumo(m): 5:24pm On Dec 11, 2008
babadee:

posting pics aint going to change anything,

Pictures talk and bullchit walks. Lagos is the local branch-office of hell, where souls are processed for onward dispatch. Check out these pictures, if you STILL need further proof of the reality in Lagos
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 5:26pm On Dec 11, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by felifeli: 5:30pm On Dec 11, 2008
Hey Angiemonkey , I missed you honey !! You escaped from the mental hospital at last ? Wow ok let's rockand roll and boogie once more baby  grin grin

These pictures of ya papa office wowo o , abeg do something for the poor man now  cheesy cheesy

@ Jakumo
FYI the pictures are from Onitsha not Lagos, git ?

I changed my ind Angiejunkie , I won't deal with you this time, you are a hopeless liar-confirmed. peace
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 5:44pm On Dec 11, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by AngieFan(f): 5:46pm On Dec 11, 2008
@ Tilapia and fooliFeli

You don't know your Lagos? This particular set of pics are from Oshodi Market and beyond but all in Lagos. Prove me wrong or shut the hell up and deal with it!!!  grin grin grin grin grin Nonsense upon ingredience  cool

I admire your patriotism though but please be real if only for the Nigerians who have to deal with living in this hellhole that is Nigeria.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Ibime(m): 5:52pm On Dec 11, 2008
Tpia is one of those Nigerians who like to engage in self delusion and walk around with an air of superiority still believing that Nigeria is the giant of Africa. . . . when countries like Ghana and Angola are enjoying 24 hr electricity and countries like Uganda and even Rwanda are enjoying peace and relative wealth, much less Botswana, Namibia and South Africa. . . . . . whilst Nigeria is sinking faster than all except Ivory Coast, Congo and Zimbabwe.

Yet Nigerians still sniff their noses at other Africans. Bush people!
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by AngieFan(f): 5:53pm On Dec 11, 2008
tpia:

this is what happens when you ignore an ignoramus. They start considering themselves informed. undecided

Muza, this picture is of day laborers hanging around waiting for employment (right?). Is that a Nigerian phenomenon? You tell me.

My cousin used to live in Lanham, Maryland, USA. Go there and you'll see people hanging around in this exact same manner, waiting for an employer to show up and give them work. Mainly Hispanics and most not even speaking English. They should still be there if immigration hasnt scared them away.

and last time I checked, construction laborers arent peculiar to lagos alone? I don't know, maybe in your hometown, its the medical doctors and business executives who do construction/menial/blue collar jobs?

Since you're trying to imply the concept is strange to you. undecided I know you'd like people to believe you've never been a bricklayer or bus conductor.

Denial is a muthaf***ka! grin grin grin
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Ibime(m): 6:02pm On Dec 11, 2008
AngieFan:

And they wonder why we Nigerians don't like our meat medium rare. When I go for dinner, they always ask if I want my beef medium rare, and I say I like it burnt please!
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by dremoney(m): 6:07pm On Dec 11, 2008
tpia:

I think you were smoking ganja when you logged on nairaland.

Yes, but shey you know your father gave me the ganja?

mamaf****r, Thunder fire you!!!!!!!

AngieFan:

@ Tilapia and fooliFeli

You don't know your Lagos? This particular set of pics are from Oshodi Market and beyond but all in Lagos. Prove me wrong or shut the hell up and deal with it!!! grin grin grin grin grin Nonsense upon ingredience cool

I admire your patriotism though but please be real if only for the Nigerians who have to deal with living in this hellhole that is Nigeria.

lol, bros u dey vex o!!! Those area boyz no see you collect your camera?
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by felifeli: 6:09pm On Dec 11, 2008
This will surely make me feel very angry with myself Angiefan , but I must give this to you and accept that you are a very persistent person . Shame this persistence is not being put to constructive use.

I acknowledge the pictures are from Nigeria and will not again be drawn into another tit for tat with you . Yes they are horrid picures , but if you see them as the empty glass , some of us see them as a glass waiting to be filled .  Why don't you put your energy for the constructive use of these communities which you love so much as to dedicate so much time in  creating  photo albums for ? Then you will begin to earn respect as a human being . As the bible says , if you know what needs to be done and you refuse to do it, then you are the guiltiest sinner of all . No hard feeling . Over and out .
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 6:11pm On Dec 11, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 6:14pm On Dec 11, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by dremoney(m): 6:17pm On Dec 11, 2008
tpia:

thunder fire your mama, papa and your entire ancestry wey dey do sperm donor without taking care to hide the ganja wey them smoke, from you.

rolling on the floor dint realise i was dealing with a mad man!!!!! pele o

u don take your drugs today? lol
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 6:21pm On Dec 11, 2008

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Peter Obi Celebrates His 60th Birthday Today / Full Resolutions Of The National Economic Council Meeting Of 20/07/2023 / Organisers Seek ₦4 Billio‎n Donation As Protest Enters Day 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.