Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,552 members, 7,978,826 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 03:00 PM

Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) (18492 Views)

30 Facts About Owners Of Nigeria’s Richest Oil Blocks In The Midst Of Poverty / Chimamanda Adichie's NYTimes Article On Nigeria's Epileptic Power Supply / US: Boko Haram A Franchise Hired By North & South, Alike – Nytimes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Nobody: 10:55pm On Dec 11, 2008
Muza:

militant david,not near as much as your leaders hav stolen grin

At least they steal what belongs to them.

If your leaders only stole cows and groundnuts i wont even bat an eyelid.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 10:58pm On Dec 11, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Jakumo(m): 11:02pm On Dec 11, 2008
Ok then. No more pressure. Just think it over and let your PATRIOTISM guide your deliberations. Lagos needs tour guides so that we can get past the shame and come to regard those open sewers as assets rather than obscenities.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 11:08pm On Dec 11, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Jakumo(m): 11:15pm On Dec 11, 2008
I will have you know that I recently purchased several Lagos chieftaincy titles by mail order, and those honors authorize me to seek new avenues of revenue generation for my adopted home.

To prove my loyalty to Lagos, I will soon post pictures of yours truly doing the back-stroke in a genuine green-water sewer canal, and preparing to beach myself on a pristine flotsam island.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 11:32pm On Dec 11, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by earTHMama: 12:01am On Dec 12, 2008
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Eziachi: 12:20am On Dec 12, 2008
Ibime:

And they wonder why we Nigerians don't like our meat medium rare. When I go for dinner, they always ask if I want my beef medium rare, and I say I like it burnt please!

Please is that meat normal meat or something else, I can see a human hand sticking out.
Ha ha ha ha!
Well, still Nigerians still delude themselves, Zimbabawe is far better than what you are seeing in this pictures.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Eziachi: 12:28am On Dec 12, 2008
felifeli:

Now how many of the people who can do anything about the situation do you think reads Nairaland ?
How does what you are posting then affect them if they don't  read Nairaland ?
How can merely recirculating pictures which are already "all over the internet"  have any use or effect other than stirring ridicule ?
And can you honestly with hand to your heart say that all these pictures are from Lagos ?

You will be surprise, how many of those wasters read what you write here, my uncle was governor in the south east for 8 years, I can confirm to you that he read so many of this threats and at one time he writes in Nigerian world with a fictitious name.
But he is interseted only in what is been said against him rather than doing something in response.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Cayon(f): 12:56am On Dec 12, 2008
@Muza, Earthmama, Jakuma et al:

Its so sad that in this day and age some of us still suffer from that "crab in a barrel" mentality. Its so true, you put a bunch of crabs in a barrel.  When  one reach to the top of his barrel, nearing his escape, one of the other crabs would reach up and pull his fellow crab back down.  Another one goes up, another one comes down - I swear you three suffer from that syndrome. 

Who doesn't know about poverty in Nigeria?  Y'all should be extending a helping hand to help rid poverty and make Nigeria a better place - instead y'all here posting pictures upon pictures to satisfy y'all evil egos.  however, suffice to say, your obsession of making Nigeria look "bad" only remind us that resentment and self-victimization still continue to condemn some of us.  In this festive season i strongly suggest that y'all make some kind of contribution to help who is in need. I for one is looking forward to help.

Get well soon!!!
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Jakumo(m): 1:08am On Dec 12, 2008
Those pictures were posted to disprove the lie peddled by some writers here that the poverty and filth of Lagos is no more shocking than it is anywhere else, and to this end I feel the point has been made, leaving all the PATRIOTS with no leg to stand on.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by earTHMama: 1:16am On Dec 12, 2008
@Muza, [b]Earthmam[/b]a, Jakuma et al:
shocked shocked
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 2:18am On Dec 12, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 2:19am On Dec 12, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Kobojunkie: 3:22am On Dec 12, 2008
lol . .  . This has been extremely entertaining!
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Tatase(f): 5:05am On Dec 12, 2008
@ original article post:

While i think there's a lot of truth to what the NY Times guy wrote about Lagos, I'm tired of these foreigners coming and being surprised that people can have bentleys in nigeria, or that people can drink Henessey or go to nightclubs.

It's like when they think Africa they think people are so busy being poor and hungry that they don't do anything else but manage on their $2 a day or what? I'm not saying that there isn't a lot of poverty or anything because there is, but if for example you go to the village, lots of people are living on $2 a day but they also own their family house, and have a farm and some goats and chickens etc, so while they are not raking it in, they have capital and are not necessarily starving.

And by the way did Kelloggs tell him that they have a factory in Lagos? If he wants to eat (illegal) Kelloggs cornflakes as opposed to Tropical (naija made) brand cornflakes then he should be ready to pay the import costs. And if he wants to drink Henessey and drive Bentleys, why would he think those things would be cheaper in Nigeria, do they make it here? Is it not imported? Is it not already expensive in the country they're importing it from? Or is he saying that Nigeria is a poor country so how dare we have the kind of people that can afford such?

Many people have said that there are levels and it's true. I know people of all classes that enjoy weekend nightlife and it doesn't necessarily cost the amounts Mr. man is quoting. I've lived in Lagos all my life and I for a fact know that at least as at August o, you can go out to lunch for way way under $200. He goes around to exclusive places and wants them to be cheap. So so very cheeky. If I go to an exclusive restaurant in another country is it every likely to be cheap?

It's not that I don't think the contrasts he brought forward are true, its just that for some reason in the article he appeared to be shocked that in a poor country such as Nigeria, there are super wealthy people. Well me too very soon I'll write my own article. I go to uni in New Orleans and I'm surprised that in a rich country like the US, they have so many people sleeping under the bridge while there are rich people in the town driving around in limos and having tea at the Ritz before going to their multi-million dollar homes. As though poverty is a new thing.

If he wants to talk about traffic fine, even that Lagos is expensive, ok, if he wants to talk about corruption,whatever (although wiith US politics he has things to write about too) but I can do without the amazement that there are rich people in Lagos. There are rich people everywhere even in countries that are in war and whatnot, there are rich people.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Jakumo(m): 5:45am On Dec 12, 2008
tpia:

once again, the poverty and filth of your hometown is what you should try to tackle, instead of attacking lagos for no good reason.

What you've seen in those pictures you call lagos is nothing compared to what lies in your backyard at home.

But   but   but    I have earned the exalted status of an HONORARY Lagos resident and High Chief At Large, so why won't you concede that I am thus eligible to comment on the tourist potential of Nigeria's showcase city, particularly with respect to the water-skiing opportunities of OUR fabled green gutters, and of course the mountaineering challenges offered by OUR majestic and aromatic trash mountain ranges that touch the very heavens   ?

Cayon:

@Muza, Earthmama, Jakuma et al:

Its so sad that in this day and age some of us still suffer from that "crab in a barrel" mentality. Its so true, you put a bunch of crabs in a barrel.  When  one reach to the top of his barrel, nearing his escape, one of the other crabs would reach up and pull his fellow crab back down.  Another one goes up, another one comes down - I swear you three suffer from that syndrome. 
Get well soon!!!

Canyon you may call me a crab if you wish, but if you accuse me of having crabs, I reserve the right to report the matter to my stable of attorneys.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by bawomolo(m): 6:29am On Dec 12, 2008
blind patriotism is not good for your health. Tpia's comments about power generation is very ignorant. do you know how much pollution these generators cause. why is the ethnicity of the journalist a big deal. demand change if you don't want whites to write such things about us.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by bawomolo(m): 6:36am On Dec 12, 2008
Who doesn't know about poverty in Nigeria? Instead of extending a helping hand to help rid poverty and make Nigeria a better place - here y'all posting pictures upon pictures to satisfy y'all evil egos. however, suffice to say, your obsession of making Nigeria look "bad" only remind us that resentment and self-victimization still continue to condemn some of us. In this festive season i strongly suggest that y'all make some kind of contribution to help who is in need. I for one is looking forward to help.

the truth won't come out until people are exposed to gruesome images. The west didn't believe the holocaust was real until pictures were smuggled out of concentration camps. The Nigerian government spends more time attacking BBC,CNN et al than it spends trying to improve the social welfare of it's citizens. Nigeria is already bad so the observations of "UNPATRIOTIC COONS" doesn't matter. all you need to do is read a human rights watch or UN report on Nigeria and you would realize more pressure needs to be put on the country rather than given it a fraudulent image.

why should an hungry man be patriotic?
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 7:02am On Dec 12, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Jakumo(m): 7:10am On Dec 12, 2008
At last we are zeroing in on the meat and potatoes of your core philosophy, TProll, and from what I can discern, any person observed covering their nose while strolling the fetid, open sewer-lined streets of Lagos is in your assessment an IDIOT for failing to appreciate the finer things in life as you do with pride.

I am more determined than ever to be just like you when I grow up.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 7:14am On Dec 12, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Jakumo(m): 7:17am On Dec 12, 2008
Reflecting on the pearls of wisdom you have shared in this thread, I would consider it a great honor to sleep under a bridge in beautiful downtown Lagos, PROVIDED that the residence can boast of easy gutter access for my recreational activities.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by bawomolo(m): 7:18am On Dec 12, 2008
tpia:

gosh, not another idiot.

Nigeria, why are you breeding so many retards?

this is worrying and no wonder the country has a bad reputation.

just look at the type of people saying they're Nigerians.

na wa oh.

I think most of you need to claim some other country for real and stop giving Nigeria a bad name.

I hope you people arent the products of any of the major Nigerian universities? I'd hate to think UI, Unilag, OAU, Uniport, Unical,ABU, UNN, etc, would produce this kind of ignorant mentality.

throwing out insults as a sign of rebuttal is definitely not a good look.   your core obsession with defending your Yoruba or Nigerian identity is alarming.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 7:19am On Dec 12, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 7:21am On Dec 12, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Jakumo(m): 7:24am On Dec 12, 2008
tpia:

don't rely on the internet for your life philosophy.

get out more and interact with real life people.

it's one step towards curing your paranoia.

Where can we meet so I can quickly sign the property deeds before someone else beats me to the punch ?

I REFUSE to waste a minute longer before embarking on this quest you have assigned me, to become one , at last, with the refuse.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 7:27am On Dec 12, 2008
**yawn**
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by bawomolo(m): 7:36am On Dec 12, 2008
tpia:

um, there's a gay thread in the religious section you may want to have a look at?

and where do you see the word Yoruba on this thread before you brought in this tribal factor?

i hope you're not a product of one of the universities I mentioned. It would be too embarassing.

as the Yoruba say- a bastard points at his father's compound with his left hand.

imagine this wholesale ass kisser of jamaicans saying someone is obsessed. Some types of Nigerians disgust me.

God bless the Queen. you are definitely worthy of a PHD in sociology from Harvard or Princeton. The way you analyze retards, idiots, ass kissers left and right would make Sigmund Freud proud. You my friend, are a honorary defender of the Nigerian Republic
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Jakumo(m): 7:41am On Dec 12, 2008
And I will drink to that, from the gutter.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 7:45am On Dec 12, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by angelina08(f): 8:33am On Dec 12, 2008
It is to early to face this, all in now is that poverty is a cream.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Jonathan, Alison-Madueke Named In Abuja Land Grab / 2019: No Automatic Ticket For Atiku, Says PDP / 2023: Nobody Wants You At Federal Level – Primate Ayodele Warns Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.