Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,211 members, 7,887,556 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 10:34 AM

Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. (11306 Views)

Nigerians React To Martin Onovo's Interview On Channels Today - Video / APC Discusses Power Struggle Between Yemi Osinbajo And Nasir El-rufai TODAY / Rotimi Amaechi And Fani-Kayode On Politics Today On Channels TV. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by hisableplc(m): 12:48pm On Dec 26, 2014
it should have, bt am looking at having an online poll pre debate n election it can giv a clue of wat feb result might look like
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 26, 2014
Good sha
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 26, 2014
diluminati:
please stop these "i am a nairalander this and that", would you call yourself "i'm a facebooker"

Nairaland Belongs To Us Because It Was Established By One Of Our Own.

Plus --- the term "Nairalander" has differnt meanings, depending on the perspective you look at it from.

Owh, and Yes, I - am a Naira-Lander wink

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by Agimor(m): 12:50pm On Dec 26, 2014
Medicine after death
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by victorazy(m): 12:53pm On Dec 26, 2014
I was one of the correspondents too
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by buoye1(m): 1:06pm On Dec 26, 2014
Seun.......Congrats
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by bdchange(m): 1:12pm On Dec 26, 2014
Sorry I couldnt watch d video due to the device i am using. But speaking on the issue i will say it has its positive and negative influences.

One positive thing is that it provides room for the public to know more about who is who and what they stand to offer if elected in public offices.

But the negative part of the media propagation is becoming a steep mountain for a climber to aspire on especially in Nigeria. The media promotes politicians irrespective of their perceived works in their respective port-folios being it good or bad as long as you have the resources to carry it out.

What i am saying is this: If a politician in Nigeria should steal billions of dollars or naira and even get convicted in the court of law will still recieve praises from the media if he chooses to. The media in naija promotes more bad than good and only let you see what they want you to see.

Yet we cant do without them except you want a voiceless nation.

#mycharitycomment
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by Orikinla(m): 1:12pm On Dec 26, 2014
Since the popularity of social media in the nomination and election of President Barack Obama, the power of social media has been proved and also effective in the Tunisian revolution.
See “Tweeting Out a Tyrant:” Social Media and the Tunisian Revolution by Mariam Esseghaier
http://wi.mobilities.ca/tweeting-out-a-tyrant-social-media-and-the-tunisian-revolution/

With over 67 million Nigerians on the internet and more than 127 million users of GSM phones, social media will play an influential part in dictating public opinion on Nigerian politics and politicians and should influence the 2015 elections, because the youths who are the most active users of social media are the largest voting bloc. But with majority of the youths unemployed, they will be willing pawns of the desperate political contestants who are ready to pay for their votes and in fact are already recruiting many jobless youths as "internet warriors" as reported in the international news media on the BBC and CBC.
Letter from Africa: Nigeria's internet warriors
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29237507
Internet warriors: Fight for political sway in Nigeria goes digital
http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2014/10/07/nigeria-online-political-thuggery/

Some internet warriors of the ruling People's Democratic Party (PDP) are earning as much as N100, 000 - N250, 000 monthly per person to attack and malign Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd), the presidential candidate of the opposing All Progressives Congress (APC) on Facebook, Twitter and popular Nigerian newspapers' websites like The Punch and Vanguard.

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by Nobody: 1:16pm On Dec 26, 2014
diluminati:
Did you expose reno omokri and this ochejoseph paid hack for build up nigeria? If you have to talk about social media and politics and you did not mention these nuisance then your interview is just as useless. This reno omokri (sincere9gerian) and ochejoseph spreading propaganda on nairaland, facebook, buildupnigeria and with the extended 40 laptop crew is the highlight of regressive social media and politics in 2014.

nice one! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by duni04(m): 1:17pm On Dec 26, 2014
Social media in Nigeria is not deep or widespread enough to influence politics. Let's talk internet penetration in Nigeria before we start discussing how much social media can influence politics.

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by colossus2: 1:24pm On Dec 26, 2014
tellwisdom:
Op, u never talk with microphone before?? sad

Where have you been bro cheesy
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by deife(m): 1:30pm On Dec 26, 2014
DaLexyAnn:

Nairaland Belongs To Us Because It Was Established By One Of Our Own.

Plus --- the term "Nairalander" has differnt meanings, depending on the perspective you look at it from.

Owh, and Yes, I - am a Naira-Lander wink

Well said, DaLexyAnn.smiley
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by badex11: 1:31pm On Dec 26, 2014
Please follow this link to vote for me by liking my picture https://cussonsbabymoments.com/details.php?ref=276 Thank you.
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by Nobody: 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2014
smiley
deife:

Well said, DaLexyAnn.smiley
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by ogaofficer(m): 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2014
badex11:
Please follow this link to vote for me by liking my picture https://cussonsbabymoments.com/details.php?ref=276 Thank you.
madam how do i like your pix because i cnt see the LIKE BUTTON. are you deborah anjola...
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by Greatomotoy: 2:27pm On Dec 26, 2014
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by oseiwe(m): 2:34pm On Dec 26, 2014
nex:
@OgaOfficer

The program was LIVE a few days ago. This is not a live stream, but a Youtube upload of the video.

now I know bar baric!

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by inalegwu99(m): 2:50pm On Dec 26, 2014
we GMBites are increasing by the minutes

Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by Reference(m): 2:51pm On Dec 26, 2014
nex:
Fellow Nairalanders, please share your opinions on the topic O! Not whether I truly am a Nairalander or not. It's not even possible for me to share this here if I were not. Anyhow, do you think using Social Media to campaign for political office in Nigeria will hae any influence on the February 14th elections?

Very little. Social media in politics is over-rated.

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by Reference(m): 2:54pm On Dec 26, 2014
nex:
Fellow Nairalanders, please share your opinions on the topic O! Not whether I truly am a Nairalander or not. It's not even possible for me to share this here if I were not. Anyhow, do you think using Social Media to campaign for political office in Nigeria will hae any influence on the February 14th elections?

Very little. Social media in politics is over-rated. Politics in Nigeria is all about personal interests making the players unlikely to project participants, strategies and competencies to the public. The often want to shock and awe and often do so.

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by drey076(m): 2:57pm On Dec 26, 2014
watin concern me

Sai buhari
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by DNBCrew: 3:24pm On Dec 26, 2014
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by Solobenny(m): 3:32pm On Dec 26, 2014
Unibenstudent:
Everybody na nairalander! Vote buhari .he may be old but nigeria need an elder to put all his wealth of wisdom into nigerias sucess
bro i pity ur level of sentiment and political calculation... Imagine George Bush coming for another office in America.. For crying out loud we need a new generation President And neither Gej nor GMB has that.... I feel the youth of this country play with their future..... Next 40 years Fashola or Ameachi will still come out for President
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by john6006: 3:33pm On Dec 26, 2014
Election cancelled....after two days of voting....typical june 12 result......
watch out......
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 26, 2014
nex:
@UnibenStudent

Yes, I am a Nairalander, as you can see, in fact, an Admin for that matter, and I believe all of us in Nigeria should be Nairalanders. Funny thing is, I am ex-UNIBEN also.

So do let us know what your opinions are on the effect of social media and political campaigns.
you be nairalander? And na im you come fat like this? Nna mehn! Dia riz God o

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by Chuksemi(m): 3:57pm On Dec 26, 2014
The Social Media Is A Ripe Platform. Politicians Are Already Using It. During The Last U.S.A General Elections, The Contestants Made Use Of The Social Media And It Paid Of
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by RebelLeader15(m): 4:06pm On Dec 26, 2014
nex:
I pray say e work oooo! Go ask Fayemi when he was Ekiti state Governor. He was busy chanting, shouting, making hell of noise and dancing skelewu in shoki style on television,facebook,twitter,2go,whatsapp,bbm,migg33,queep etc. To God be the glory, it was Fayose who was busy trekking the "koros" and "corner corner" of inside Ekiti state campaigning from doors-window from Ido to Efon Alaaye that won the election.

If Oga Jonah like make e employ Seun(Nairaland) and Makind(Naijaloaded) or even DarryRobor (Jam9ja.com) he nor go fit communicate to those area boys, Mama and Baba Arugbos, the illiterates and semi-illitrates on the street through social media.

Apart from that, some of the voters don't even know who to vote for until they get to the polling unit where they will vote. I was an INEC agent in Ondo state when the Governorship election took place. I was surprise when some certain persons or people told me I should just pick one party for them so they can vote. Social media is good but at the same time, it can only pass information to those who are using it not those who didn't know anything about it.

The Iyalaje's and Iyaloja's for instance are not used to social medias. It is only few of them who are expose to it that can make use of it.

#na my own view be that

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by RebelLeader15(m): 4:13pm On Dec 26, 2014
Chuksemi:
The Social Media Is A Ripe Platform. Politicians Are Already Using It. During The Last U.S.A General Elections, The Contestants Made Use Of The Social Media And It Paid Of
Na wetin dey tire me for unna own be dis. We dey talk of Lagos, u dey mention sapele. Is Nigeria and USA the same?

Abeg go buy 1 bottle of common sense make u drink jaree

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by duni04(m): 4:35pm On Dec 26, 2014
Chuksemi:
And exactly what percentage of the electorate is influenced or can be swayed by the social media commentary of any of the contestants in next years general elections, in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by Chuksemi(m): 5:00pm On Dec 26, 2014
duni04:

And exactly what percentage of the electorate is influenced or can be swayed by the social media commentary of any of the contestants in next years general elections, in Nigeria?
Whatever Percentage That Is Actively Involved On The Internet Can Be Affected. It Is Just A Matter Of Your Interest In Politics. The Internet Is Becoming A Nation. Views Can Be Changed By A Single Tweet, Post Or Even A Video.
Re: Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. by duni04(m): 5:04pm On Dec 26, 2014
Chuksemi:
Whatever Percentage That Is Actively Involved On The Internet Can Be Affected. It Is Just A Matter Of Your Interest In Politics. The Internet Is Becoming A Nation. Views Can Be Changed By A Single Tweet, Post Or Even A Video.
Yea I agree. Anthony Weiner comes to mind. But not in Nigeria though. How many people in Benue, Taraba or even Lagos can be swayed by what they read online about politicians? Very few IMO.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jimi Agbaje Turns 58 Today. / Fayose Withdraws Murder Case Against APC Jide Awe, Others / South-West PDP Crisis: Ladoja To Wade Into Makinde, Fayose Rift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.