Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,453 members, 7,881,595 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 01:34 AM

In Sympathy For The Fleeing Soldiers Of Baga, Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Sympathy For The Fleeing Soldiers Of Baga, Nigeria (686 Views)

2 Persons Trek To Kaduna In Sympathy With Gov. Yero Over His Defeat / Nigerian Soldiers Drive Boko Haram Fighters Out Of Baga In Just 3 Hours / We Killed The People Of Baga, As Our Lord Instructed Us In His Book – Shekau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

In Sympathy For The Fleeing Soldiers Of Baga, Nigeria by Litmus: 1:20pm On Jan 08, 2015
Imagine you're a Nigerian soldier part of a contingent at Baga bordering NIGER. You share the base with contingent of soldiers from other nations;specifically Niger and Chad. You've been brought up on a diet of constant moaning by Nigerians that Nigeria does not care for her nationals - you remember reading that Nigeria supposedly abandoned citizens in Libya, Central African Republic; did nothing to protect her Nationals in India, South Africa, Guinea, Malaysia and so on. You have access to discussions on Social Media were Nigerians constantly bash Nigeria and make it seem that they have no responsibility only government has responsibility. And sometimes, Amongst all of these self-recriminations, you unknowingly read messages by those foreigners paid to brainwash the citizens of poor dumb African citizens. These ones, whose remit is Nigeria often saying things like, "Nigeria is not worth dying for" etc etc.

So, one day you're moseying around in Baga -you young Nigerian soldier when you hear word that something big is coming. You rob your hands together excitedly, thinking- 'wow, at last, time to kick some Boko ass'. However, when you return to barracks, the place is abuzz with your Nigerian comrades in lots of hurdled little groups conversing in hushed tones. You chook your head into one of the groups and soon learn that Niger and Chad are pulling out their contingent of soldiers from BAGA.

How likely would you be to stand your ground and Fight thousands of terrorists when , part of you mind is echoing the words of Nigerians, since you where born and online latterly, "Nigeria abandons her citizens, Nigeria abandons her citizens, Nigeria abandons her citizens" you remember that Niger and Chad has pulled out but you're still there. The psychology of the brainwashing probably wouldn't let you remember in the heat of battle that, actually Nigeria is your country, and that however reprehensible, Niger and Chadian soldiers are not obliged to die for Nigerian citizens. All you'd be thinking is, "Nigeria abandons her citizens and, look, Nigeria has indeed abandoned us while Niger and Chad has removed their citizens. At this point that other refrains begins echoing in your head, 'Nigeria is not worth dying for.......

Moral of tale, we all bare some responsibility for how the soldiers are performing

Just saying lipsrsealed

Pertinent questions:

Why did CHAD and NIGER withdraw their soldiers?
Was it a coincident that BOKOHARAM attacked Baga after they had pulled out? If indeed this was what happened.
Re: In Sympathy For The Fleeing Soldiers Of Baga, Nigeria by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jan 08, 2015
Nice read but the sentiment remains true hence its constant repetition "Nigeria does not care for her citizens".
Re: In Sympathy For The Fleeing Soldiers Of Baga, Nigeria by Litmus: 11:53am On Jan 09, 2015
charix:
Nice read but the sentiment remains true hence its constant repetition "Nigeria does not care for her citizens".

Charix, when i was in Nigeria, and i know the Nation intimately, i was surrounded by nothing but love. The people are generous and don't shy away from showing it wherever i traveled and lived, from North, West, South and East. Therefor in the truest sense of all Nigeria cares for her citizens i don't need to believe this only when government bestows pension, security or argue with foreign nations on my behalf. For the people of Nigeria i would give my life - these are not just words.

I am persuaded that a part of the problem concerning our soldiers in the North East has much to do with having been imbued with a sense or righteousness by individuals gifted with sweet mouth fighting for political interests as well as half understood online polemics, which their comparatively immature minds cannot absorb critically or judiciously.

One reads daily messages sent by Privates in the Nigerian army comparing their situation to that of Generals and Majors in Abuja. Imagin! soldiers such as these have their heads swelled by unrealistic and, actually, counterproductive goals by the online community. A private surrounded by relative luxury is defeated long before battle. Sure one might argue that all that the Nigerian soldier wants is the basics -however that is construed. The fact however remains that if he has no Nation to return to because of his pathetic performance at the war-front, he'll not, in his lifetime have even a chance at attaining those basics.

(1) (Reply)

APC's Economic Agenda & Contribution To The Current Nigeria's Economic Crisis? / Corruption: FG Can’t Account For $14.6bn Oil Money – Aregbesola / Jonathan Knew Of Henry Okah's Plan To Kill Him Since 2007 - Asari-dokubo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.