Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,865 members, 7,872,873 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:17 AM

The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) (120384 Views)

The Humans Of Ogun State (street Photography) / 5 People You Will Find On Any Lagos Street / Monday Morning Inspiration From The Humans Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 11:25pm On Jun 22, 2015
"I think it's pride that stops so many people from getting rich, lots of people don't want to get their hands dirty and work or the fear of what people will say stops them from doing things that will better their life. It's even in the Bible that pride goes before a fall. During my school days, I survived by packing sand from gutters whenever it rains and sold them from that I went into diving. I would go to Onne and join the stockfish divers. It wasn't an easy job but I was making my money and payed my way through school from that. If I didn't get my hand dirty and did these things, I wouldn't have been where I am today."

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by grandx88: 12:08am On Jun 23, 2015
"I think it's pride that stops so many people from getting rich, lots of people don't want to get their hands dirty and work or the fear of what people will say stops them from doing things that will better their life. It's even in the Bible that pride goes before a fall. . If I didn't get my hand dirty and did these things, I wouldn't have been where I am today."

Lots of wisdom from this former hustler... Stockfish diving is a hustle not for the faint-hearted. Kudos Toochi, this project should be gearing up for the next level. U can do it bro.

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 11:25pm On Jun 24, 2015
We are deeply saddened to inform you that Vivian has passed away. She died Saturday evening after complaining of severe stomach pain. Her death came as a shock to her family and everyone involved, she has been feeling a lot better recently and was strong enough to attend school on Friday.
Before her untimely death, arrangements were still going on to find a hospital that would agree to do the surgery as all the others reached out before said it was rather too late to perform a curative surgery.
She was strong till the end and always excitedly talked about how she can't wait to 'enter' a plane and see white people. Her teary mum told us how she kept asking when they would go to Church for her testimony and thanks giving. Her 'Mummy when are we going for testimony?' became more frequent this past week and like Vivian, we all looked forward to that special day we would put up a post, her surgery success story and gladly tell ourselves we did it, gladly tell ourselves we rallied around and helped save little Vivian.
It's been so hard to accept that she is gone but knowing that she is now in a better place and would never know pain again makes it easier. May God be with her family and give them the strength to bear. May Vivian's gentle soul rest in peace Amen.

The $12,113 raised for her surgery was not used and we will leave our followers to suggest what should be done with the money, we will also send an email to the 315 people that donated, inform them about this development and ask if they would like a refund or let the money be used for what our followers suggest.
Thanks to each and everyone that contributed in one way or the other. God bless you all.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jun 24, 2015
TochiPhotos:
We are deeply saddened to inform you that Vivian has passed away. She died Saturday evening after complaining of severe stomach pain. Her death came as a shock to her family and everyone involved, she has been feeling a lot better recently and was strong enough to attend school on Friday.
Before her untimely death, arrangements were still going on to find a hospital that would agree to do the surgery as all the others reached out before said it was rather too late to perform a curative surgery.
She was strong till the end and always excitedly talked about how she can't wait to 'enter' a plane and see white people. Her teary mum told us how she kept asking when they would go to Church for her testimony and thanks giving. Her 'Mummy when are we going for testimony?' became more frequent this past week and like Vivian, we all looked forward to that special day we would put up a post, her surgery success story and gladly tell ourselves we did it, gladly tell ourselves we rallied around and helped save little Vivian.
It's been so hard to accept that she is gone but knowing that she is now in a better place and would never know pain again makes it easier. May God be with her family and give them the strength to bear. May Vivian's gentle soul rest in peace Amen.

The $12,113 raised for her surgery was not used and we will leave our followers to suggest what should be done with the money, we will also send an email to the 315 people that donated, inform them about this development and ask if they would like a refund or let the money be used for what our followers suggest.
Thanks to each and everyone that contributed in one way or the other. God bless you all.

May her soul rest in peace; God will bless you for all the good job, brother.
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Pukka36(f): 11:59pm On Jun 24, 2015
T'is so painful that Vivian eventually diedsad

Adieu Viv....Even in death U r a fighter

May God grant Her family the fortitude to bear the loss!
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by sholay2011(m): 12:04am On Jun 25, 2015
Heartbreaking. ..
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by justi4jesu(f): 8:01am On Jun 25, 2015
cry cry cry cry
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by ijbeauty(f): 8:12am On Jun 25, 2015
Sooo sad cry cry I was actually waiting on the goodnews about her surgery..
May God give the family the fortitude to bear the loss..

Adieu pretty Vivian, till we meet to part no more. Rest in the Lords bossom.. We the Nairaland family love you.

#sosad cry cry
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Dgunnerz(m): 9:18pm On Jun 25, 2015
#sad.....Rest in the bosom of our Lord Jesus Christ,Vivian!!!
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by adanduka: 9:28pm On Jun 25, 2015
Sad news indeed.
Our consolation is that there is life after death.
Vivian is in a better place where pain and sadness cannot exist.
May God console the family.
Heartbreaking cry cry
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by pryd(m): 10:54am On Jun 26, 2015
Sad news about Vivian.
Rest In Peace Child.. sad
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 5:52am On Jun 27, 2015
May her soul rest in perfect peace cry
May her family have the fortitude to bear the loss bearing in mind that they did their best
Theres a Being that reigns supreme and knows whats best for the family..

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by trevolady(f): 7:55pm On Jun 27, 2015
RIP vivian cry
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Raxxye(m): 11:15am On Jun 28, 2015
So sad!
May little Vivian's beautiful soul rest in her Lord and Maker's bossom!
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by abbeyberry(m): 5:45pm On Jun 28, 2015
May her gentle soul rest in peace.
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 3:54pm On Jun 29, 2015
Last week, we asked our instagram and Facebook followers to advise on what HOL should do with the money raised for the late Vivian’s surgery so we can curate the responses and make a decision. Majority suggested the money be given to her family while some others wanted the money be used to save other kids with similar conditions. Keiskwerd’s comment made lot of sense and we totally agree with her but the idea was to go with what the majority of our followers advised. Before we put up the post, we met her parents and told them the decision would be based on what of our followers suggested and now that they want the money given to the family, we can’t go back and tell them our followers want the money to go to you guys but we can’t give it to you. We agree with all the other suggestions but can only let the family in on them and leave it to them to decide if they want to donate it to others but it has to be their decision now.

In the past few days, we received lots of messages from people that need help with various medical conditions and we are really sorry we cannot do much for them now. We hope they understand the page is not primarily about raising funds and if we start doing that daily, it would defeat the whole purpose. The page is about telling people’s stories and once in a while we might run into cases like this but it’s supposed to be a random act of kindness and not pre-arranged. We hope as the page continues to evolve, we would be able to help and change as many lives as possible. Thanks for your understanding and thanks to everyone that contributed.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jun 29, 2015
@TochiPhotos,good work and kudos to you.

Rip Vivian... embarassed
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Pukka36(f): 10:06pm On Jun 29, 2015
When U talk about selfless service,U talk about HOL by Tochi...

May God's blessings overwhelm U!!!cheesy

4 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 10:08pm On Jun 29, 2015
sexydivaomalich:
@TochiPhotos,good work and kudos to you.

Rip Vivian... embarassed
Thanks.
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 10:09pm On Jun 29, 2015
"My favourite pass time as a kid was to disassemble and rebuild toy cars so when I finished my O’level I naturally wanted to become an engineer but due to some setbacks I couldn’t start uni with my peers. After months of staying at home, I went to a nearby mechanic’s shop and told him I want to be his apprentice, he agreed and I started working with him. It’s been 3 years and I’m getting better each day. The first car I fixed was a Toyota Camry and it was the best day of my life even though it led to me spoiling other cars cos I thought I was now good enough to fix anything.
Been a mechanic in this Nigeria is not is easy at all, people look down on you and see it as a ‘dirty’ job but I don’t even let that bother me. I started this work for a reason and I know my plans and where I’m headed to and I believe I will get there one day. In the next 5 years, I want to have learnt enough to actualise my childhood dream of building cars."

19 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Dekatron(m): 10:45pm On Jun 29, 2015
go live your dream boy

you should however try to go back to school to really live it. I see people like hm building our own Bentley

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:02pm On Jun 30, 2015
Pukka36:
When U talk about selfless service,U talk about HOL by Tochi...

May God's blessings overwhelm U!!!cheesy
Thanks smiley
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:03pm On Jun 30, 2015
"My dad doesn't like my choice of career, he thinks nothing good can come out of modeling. I don't let that bother me instead it motivates me to work extra hard, become successful and prove him wrong."

6 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Joboms(m): 1:27pm On Jul 02, 2015
R.I.P. Vivi
So Sad cry
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 02, 2015
Chaaiii, RIP Vivian. . It's well...

So the money, over 2mil will go to Vivian's family? Have you asked those that donated what they wish the money to be used for? Asides your instagram followers. .

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 10:09pm On Jul 02, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Chaaiii, RIP Vivian. . It's well...

So the money, over 2mil will go to Vivian's family? Have you asked those that donated what they wish the money to be used for? Asides your instagram followers. .
60 out of the 80 donors contacted so far agree to that while some want refunds and others want it to be giving to another child with similiar condition. still remaining about 290 donors to be contacted.
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 10:10pm On Jul 02, 2015
"I feel really happy when people tell me they like my my physique , they might not be giving me money but the happiness that makes me feel is worth more to me than money.
I actually started bodybuilding because I wanted to be a powerlifter. I went as far as representing Nigeria in the all Africa games but here if it's not football then you are on your own. No form of support from the Government. I opened a small backyard gym so I can help mentor boys who want to become power lifters."

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 02, 2015
TochiPhotos:

60 out of the 80 donors contacted so far agree to that while some want refunds and others want it to be giving to another child with similiar condition. still remaining about 290 donors to be contacted.
Alright. I feel the money should be used to help other people since the original purpose of the donation is now invalid. A portion could be given to her family as condolence.. More power to your elbow..

2 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:59pm On Jul 04, 2015
“My son doesn’t help me in the shop; he acts as if he is ashamed to be seen here. He doesn't even know how much I sell anything and would rather stay in the house from morning till night watching movies.
I remember how hard it was for my wife to conceive again after we had our daughter, we had to wait for 15 years after that first issue before we were finally blessed again, 15 tough years of going from one church to the other looking for a solution.
He is my only son and I want the best for him, I did not go to school but I want him to go to university, everything I’m doing I’m doing it for him but I don’t think he understands this.
He has been staying at home from morning till night since he finished his WAEC exam, I’m not even sure he has a friend, he is always by himself. I’m really worried about him and I just need someone to help me talk some sense into him. Please help me talk to him maybe he will listen to you. “

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 05, 2015
TochiPhotos:

“My son doesn’t help me in the shop; he acts as if he is ashamed to be seen here. He doesn't even know how much I sell anything and would rather stay in the house from morning till night watching movies.
I remember how hard it was for my wife to conceive again after we had our daughter, we had to wait for 15 years after that first issue before we were finally blessed again, 15 tough years of going from one church to the other looking for a solution.
He is my only son and I want the best for him, I did not go to school but I want him to go to university, everything I’m doing I’m doing it for him but I don’t think he understands this.
He has been staying at home from morning till night since he finished his WAEC exam, I’m not even sure he has a friend, he is always by himself. I’m really worried about him and I just need someone to help me talk some sense into him. Please help me talk to him maybe he will listen to you. “

Hey yaaa
Touching post
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Pukka36(f): 4:31pm On Jul 05, 2015
U dnt know tha value of what U have until U lose it!sad

I pray this boy begin to appreciate His father while He is still alive.

5 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by DeCritique(m): 7:26am On Jul 06, 2015
TochiPhotos:

Tochi, I hope you do something about this... You can arrange for a weekend, take the boy out to watch a match or sight seeing or to any place of interest. From there, you start talking to him, tell him about Dangote and the rest of our rich men that came up from dust to riches.

Make him understand that if he wants to be useful, he should start now and limit too much TV time. His father's plea was one that came from the depth of his heart and I would like to see some changes.

Thanks boss

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (31) (Reply)

Lions Nap On Road In South Africa During Lockdown (Photos) / I Just Got A 3-Month Visa To Dubai, I Need Your Suggestions Please!!! / 10 Years Ban For Overstaying In The UK. And Migrants Coming To The UK.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.