Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,066 members, 7,899,816 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 08:23 PM

Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home (15559 Views)

US Forces Locate Chibok Girls-New York Times / It Is PDP Loyalists That Are Complaining Of Hardship Not Nigerians - Ngige / ISIS: US Forces Kill Senior IS Leader Abu Sayyaf, Capture His Wife Umm Sayyaf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by AloyEmeka9: 8:57am On Mar 29, 2009
This guys no dey come home again? wey dem dey na? grin grin grin
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by oderemo(m): 9:01am On Mar 29, 2009
old boy its called credit crunch cool shocked
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by blackspade(m): 9:36am On Mar 29, 2009
I ain't goin nowhere! cheesy
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by AloyEmeka9: 9:46am On Mar 29, 2009
I ain't goin nowhere!

Come home now wey your dollar still get value. Jobs dey brekete for here, every Nigerian citizen now is on middle class economic status. Come home and swim in this boom before it slips by you. Dollar will change at 60 Naira by April 20.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by tpia: 1:55pm On Mar 29, 2009
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by slimfine(f): 4:26pm On Mar 29, 2009
why the insult now tpia?
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Lax75(m): 8:49pm On Mar 29, 2009
To all of una "Andrews" = Brothers/Sisters in diaspora (including myself grin), Let's learn from the generation before us.

Remember when our parents all studied abroad and decided to move back home during the oil boom of the 70's? Well back then the naira had power and to them they were wasting away in another man's land. So what did they do? They up and left, thinking that Nigeria was only going to continue an upward trend in development. Look at Nigeria today and see how those who gave birth to their kids abroad before moving back were able to send their kids to school abroad w/out having to deal with the obstacles of visas or out of state tuition rates.

What I'm trying to get at here is that we the younger generation need to learn from the mistakes of our parents. If you plan on moving home, don't just up and leave. Those with green cards try and make sure you get that blue passport first. Try and hold onto your investments here in the US if you plan on moving back, don't plant all yr seeds in one basket, diversify. Imagine if our parents had held onto their properties back in the 70's when they were abroad. Think of what those properties would be worth today?

I'm not against moving back home. There is no place like home even with all its challenges. But I just ask that we bear in mind the mistakes our parents made and do it with wisdom. Thats the golden opportunity we have as Africans that many people dont have over here. We have Nigeria and we have the US. Two options. I say take advantage of both rather than just up and leave the States.

My two cents.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by tpia: 8:53pm On Mar 29, 2009
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by tpia: 8:54pm On Mar 29, 2009
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Lax75(m): 9:15pm On Mar 29, 2009
@Tpia

Thank you. I just want us to move away from this "now-minded" culture which has been killing us for so long. God brought us to the US and wherever else we are to learn, take notes, develop ourselves and plant our seeds back home. Nigeria is an emerging market and we need to be smart like the Chinese. We need to be visionaries and take advantage of our options, while developing our God-given country. Take for instance my sister who just up and left a few years back, and said to hell with the States and even didnt give a damn about her credit. She moved back to Nigeria and now she has to come once in 6 months to maintain her greencard status. I had to sit her down and listen to her tell me about all the business opportunities in Nigeria specifically in the areas of fashion apparel and all. Well, if she wasnt so "now-minded" she could've maintained good credit before leaving, but more importantly made sure she became a citizen first. Had she done this, she wouldnt have to spend her money travelling back and forth to maintain her green card, and she could have access to loans with good credit to buy whatever merchandise she feels would sell like hotcake in Nigeria.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by tpia: 10:23pm On Mar 29, 2009
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by MandingoII(m): 11:01pm On Mar 29, 2009
The people known for working "menial" jobs are Hispanics/Latinos. Africans especially Nigerians here in the US are known for being nurses (with their own home health agencies), doctors, biochemical engineers, lawyers, professors etc. I do not see anything "menial" in those jobs.

Really?

I see more cab drivers than anything.

Certainly you can become a nurse. Which is funny ass hell to see this big black arse man as a nurse. But, hey, it pays the bills, Yet, for natural born Americans, they only stay in that profession for 3 years tops. They MAX out because of the stress.

Actually, its bad everywhere and folks are LYING when they say they are not petrified of the current job market.

If they got a job - they are getting more assignments.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by whatawhat: 10:28pm On Dec 20, 2010
game_rod-lol i agree with u
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Nobody: 10:41pm On Dec 20, 2010
Mandingo said:

The people known for working "menial" jobs are Hispanics/Latinos. Africans especially Nigerians here in the US are known for being nurses (with their own home health agencies), doctors, biochemical engineers, lawyers, professors etc. I do not see anything "menial" in those jobs.

Really?

I see more cab drivers than anything.

That's because you spend more time on the street than in high profile establishments like universities, law firms and science laboratories.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by invisible2(m): 10:54pm On Dec 20, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Mandingo said:

That's because you spend more time on the street than in high profile establishments like universities, law firms and science laboratories.

Please tell them, Nigerians can never do menial jobs for anybody. The only place Nigerians work is as army generals in the pentagon, congress men and women, university dons and as atomic bomb pilots!
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by redsun(m): 11:18pm On Dec 20, 2010
Africa is a virgin land full of adventures.Who wouldn't want to be there at d right time?And this is d right time.Western economy has reached its peak,it can't go any further.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by tubolancer(m): 11:34pm On Dec 20, 2010
It so sad for the returnee,most of them will not last in nigeria,they will die it happened to my uncles and his friend they are late now.Nigeria cannot absorb them,most them will get frustrated,suffer hypertension e.t.c Nigeria will not absorb them.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by invisible2(m): 12:16am On Dec 21, 2010
tubolancer:

It so sad for the returnee,most of them will not last in nigeria,they will die it happened to my uncles and his friend they are late now.Nigeria cannot absorb them,most them will get frustrated,suffer hypertension e.t.c Nigeria will not absorb them.

Except they come back and appease the spirits of their fore fathers for abandoning their shrines and oracles and desecrating the land and sleeping with foreign, strange, long haired witches and doing yahoo-yahoo. Nigeria will absorb anyone who can do the right sacrifice for proper cleansing.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Blazay(m): 12:35am On Dec 21, 2010
Hell no.
I'd rather relocate to a homeless shelter before I move back to Nigeria.
Heavens forbid.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by invisible2(m): 1:05am On Dec 21, 2010
Blazay:

Hell no.
Heavens forbid.

Or you could relocate to Dafur, I hear the widows there needs husbands, its better than Nigeria you know?
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Ndipe(m): 1:48am On Dec 21, 2010
Blazay:

Hell no.
Heavens forbid.

You are not serious!
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Blazay(m): 2:06am On Dec 21, 2010
invisible!:

Or you could relocate to[b] Dafur[/b], I hear the widows there needs husbands, its better than Nigeria you know?

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Mu he he he he. . . of all places.

Ndipe:

You are not serious!

Very serious.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by buzugee(m): 4:50pm On Dec 21, 2010
yall aint said nothing but a word grin fork naija. fork america. matta fact fork canada. london is where its at grin cheers mate
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by invisible2(m): 6:30pm On Dec 21, 2010
buzugee:

yall aint said nothing but a word grin fork naija. fork america. matta fact fork canada. london is where its at grin cheers mate

You mean they should not go back to naija but move to London? What about the riots we saw on telly, dunno if it was caused by too much money?
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by buzugee(m): 6:38pm On Dec 21, 2010
invisible!:

You mean they should not go back to naija but move to London? What about the riots we saw on telly, dunno if it was caused by too much money?
i was just joking when i made that statement. wink you know me personally i think nigeria is heaven but you have to arrange your life in a certain way for you to experience that heaven.
1, make sure you live a couple of streets from where you work to avoid traffic and police harrasment
2, make sure that your local pub or nightclub is just a few blocks away so that you can walk there and back (this makes you avoid police checkpoints )
3, make sure your kids school is a few blocks away so you can walk there
4, and if you have to travel out of your locality, use a cab.
5, own a gun
6, make sure your house is paid for
7, make sure you have enough liquid cash in the bank
8 and lastly cut your coat according to your size
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Kobojunkie: 10:50pm On Dec 21, 2010
[b] 9. [/b]Make sure to shelter yourself from the chaos( the hardship/poverty, the stupidity of the leaders,Corruption, low quality of living which is the reality of life for over 80% of the population) that is the daily life of over 90% of the population, and then you can come on Nairaland to tell everyone that Nigeria is heaven.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by tck2000(m): 2:29pm On Jul 16, 2020
scottN:
No matter where u r, there's no place like home, besides y stuck up as a 2nd class citizen?
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Cholls(m): 11:09pm On Apr 08, 2022
My brother for real

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? / Gov. Otti Unveils Digital Tax Collection System For Transporters, Traders / Soalabo West Challenges Wike For PDP Governorship Ticket In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.