Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,811 members, 7,872,698 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 08:02 PM

Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? (26810 Views)

Military Officer Kneels Down To Propose To His Fiancee At Shoprite (Video, Pics) / I Am Scared, My Fiancee And Her Mum Treats Her Father Like A Houseboy / My Brother's Fiancee Is An Ex-prostitute Have Slept With. Should I Tell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 13, 2015
It is not wrong, not at all. I can not allow my sister or daughter to marry someone that is not financially okay. You can preach about humble beginnings for all you care, but na money dem dey take live life, not sex. Go and make money first, poor people like to fight their wives cos of poverty synchronized with roughened emotion.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 13, 2015
freecocoa:
Lol, thanks, just saying it as it is.

Good morning cocoa.. smiley
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by freecocoa(f): 8:47am On Jan 13, 2015
VickyyB:

It depends on the kind of family he wants to marry their daughter.
If you earn 20k, you can't expect a man that earns more than the amount to be happy giving you his daughter.
More like handing his daughter to a pauper(from grace to grass)
Why shouldn't he be happy if the man asking to marry his daughter is responsible and loves her? No condition is permanent.

Jonathan once had no shoes.
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by msdos1(m): 8:47am On Jan 13, 2015
omo na to just reduce wateva i earn by 50% ni o.
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Missmossy(f): 8:48am On Jan 13, 2015
Its somehow though.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Nobody: 8:48am On Jan 13, 2015
verygudbadguy:
It is wrong but you know in-laws can be very funny when it comes to conversation with their "soon to be" son-in-law. They ask so many shocking questions. All you need to say is "I earn enough to take care of my wife and our future babies with God on our side". Trust me, they would back off.

Thats a very wise answer...perhaps the best so far

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by GenOrumov: 8:49am On Jan 13, 2015
That's how you guys miss your helpers! Simple question, how much do you earn (so that we may help you earn more)? You are forming proud. Okay o..

I see nothing wrong in the question because I'm most likely going to ask when I'm giving out my daughter in marriage. It all depends on how I perceived the guy to be.
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by justi4jesu(f): 8:49am On Jan 13, 2015
freecocoa:
Why shouldn't he be happy if the man asking to marry his daughter is responsible and loves her? No condition is permanent.

Hmmmmmm are you kidding me, like seriously!

20k Salary for whatttttttt! he should go and get a berra job before he thinks of getting married. No offense angry angry
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Elinob(m): 8:50am On Jan 13, 2015
Vry.......... Bad of it and by the how will u feel when them ask you that kind of question?
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by bynat(f): 8:50am On Jan 13, 2015
Na wa to the parents oooo grin
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Nobody: 8:50am On Jan 13, 2015
woky:
no be small thing..
Ur signature shaa wink
tongue
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Nobody: 8:51am On Jan 13, 2015
Billyonaire:
It is not wrong, not at all. I can not allow my sister or daughter to marry someone that is not financially okay. You can preach about humble beginnings for all you care, but na money dem dey take live life, not sex. Go and make money first, poor people like to fight their wives cos of poverty synchronized with roughened emotion.

Chai I pity you oh....what if they face a financial crisis during marital life...or you find out the guy had been pretending to be a rich guy...will you collect back your sister?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by daey118(m): 8:51am On Jan 13, 2015
freecocoa:
What is wrong with people for crying out loud?

My answer would be "with all due respect, that's none of your business"

What rubbish.
talk about ..bullets to the leg..
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by tomzman: 8:51am On Jan 13, 2015
The question might be if he has a job with good pay but asking for the exact amount is not proper.
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by blakky97(m): 8:51am On Jan 13, 2015
eph12:
What's wrong with the question? Assuming its your daughter won't you be interested in if the guy your daughter brings home can take care of her?
I can know without asking. at least a rough guess
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Nobody: 8:52am On Jan 13, 2015
freecocoa:

Some conditions are really permanent.
Life is not Nollywood/Jonathan.

#justsaying
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by dljbd1(m): 8:54am On Jan 13, 2015
I've been asked questions like,

....: "Are you still in school or you are working?"
Me: "I'm a graduate sir" wink

....: "Ok, where do you work?"
Me: "Lagos sir" grin

Never give a direct answer...they seem to just blend along with whatever answer they hear. cool

4 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by woky: 8:55am On Jan 13, 2015
VickyyB:

tongue
Can I send a PM??..

..Dnt mind my PP wink
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Lantean(m): 8:56am On Jan 13, 2015
bunmioguns:
I want to ask if it is wrong for your fiancee's parents to ask how much you earn as salary , month

It's not wrong. It's just rude.
Yes... he can ask such a question considering it's you who's asking for the girl's hand in marriage. And he has a right to know if you can take care of his daughter(Even though it's a shallow thought).
But it's rude cos anyone being asked such will feel very uncomfortable right then and after.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by bobchigar(m): 8:56am On Jan 13, 2015
It is not bad, atleast for them to know if you can afford to take care of the necessities. If they consider it not sufficient enough they can be of assist to you depending on how you present yourself to command respect from them.
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by kevoh(m): 8:56am On Jan 13, 2015
Times are changing, some things that were deemed unnecessary 20 years ago might be necessary these days.

Won't blame the parents except when it's done to fleece the potential suitor!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Nobody: 8:56am On Jan 13, 2015
crazysaint:
Very very very wrong. Why must the even asked me? Na them put me for that job. The dare not
If they do, what u gonna do?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by freecocoa(f): 8:57am On Jan 13, 2015
justi4jesu:

Hmmmmmm are you kidding me, like seriously!

20k Salary for whatttttttt! he should go and get a berra job before he thinks of getting married. No offense angry angry
Do you know Boskel Nig Ltd? It's owned by a family friend, his wife owns one of the leading schools in PH and a church in Jerusalem, they got married on his NYSC allowance, go figure.
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Nobody: 8:57am On Jan 13, 2015
chaircover:
It depends . . . cheesy
If you said you are a bank cashier, you dont come from a rich family but you drive 3 Range Rover sports and drink Moet like water, then I will ask you o!
So you dont get us all in trouble with EFCC grin

On a serious note, in an ideal situation, you shouldnt ask such a direct and specific question .. its rude
I will however have a general idea of the salary/job/qualifications of the man/lady that wants to marry my son/daughter. Its common sense.
Your Last paragraph is very correct. .. Every parent loves to have an idea of what their prospective in law earns.. but asking it so direct is wrong. ... They should hv found out from their daughter instead.. And the answer wouldn't be specific, maybe a close range...
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Nobody: 8:58am On Jan 13, 2015
It's no big deal, afterall you are marrying their child. They want to know if you can shoulder the responsibility.
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Horllarmy: 8:59am On Jan 13, 2015
D only tin they can ask s if d guy as a job ad d kind of he s doing
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by cozy7(m): 8:59am On Jan 13, 2015
That's rubbish! Just for d sake of bring polite, just tell them u earn enough to take care of yourself n their daughter as well as whatever will come out of this. In addition, u may smile n tell them u prepared for this journey!
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by freecocoa(f): 9:00am On Jan 13, 2015
VickyyB:

Some conditions are really permanent.
Life is not Nollywood/Jonathan.

#justsaying
How do you determine that a 20k salary earner's condition will be permanent? Or that someone with 1 million Naira as salary will not go broke tomorrow?

I'm too enlightened to be talking based on Nollywood so please take note, what matters is knowing who you are marrying and his potentials, money can come and go.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Nobody: 9:00am On Jan 13, 2015
aanikky:

If they do, what u gonna do?
one sound dirty slap will follow
Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by msdos1(m): 9:00am On Jan 13, 2015
na to just turn to my fiancee and ask... Darling, are your parents okay?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question? by Melahou(m): 9:01am On Jan 13, 2015
its wrong but if they insist then answer "technically"
that you earn enough to take care of their daughter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ex-Husband Drags Kafayat Adedoyin Oyetunji To Court Over Paternity Right / My Marriage Finally Collapses / Child Abuse And Street Hawking In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.