Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,734 members, 7,969,129 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 08:28 PM

Welcome To My Office - Career (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office (150561 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry. / I Rejected A 2 Year Bond By My Office Sending Me On A One Week Course To Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (77) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 8:35pm On Nov 30, 2010
Una dey enjoy oh. . . .wetin be 13th month for here? Just work your butt off, overspend over Christmas and start avoiding calls from credit card companies and looking for balance transfer deals come January. grin grin

I heard a saying that you spend the first half of your career trying to get into meetings (to find out how things work and meet people) and you spend the second half trying to get out of them.

I think I've crossed that halfway point already. angry

Naija passport is really dulling me sha. . . .can you imagine that it's easier to get a visa to an African country for a European than for a Nigerian?

I just can't be bothered anymore. . . .they have virtually 'seized' my kpali indefinitely so I'm stuck here for Christmas. sad
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 9:11am On Dec 02, 2010
@topic
As usual, my annual globe trotting to ease off has begun and presently, I'm fighting some ice. Lol

I shd be back b4 xmas to hit Calabar for the annual carnival so for me, no more work oh

@debosky
For how long will they hold ur kpali?
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 12:20pm On Dec 02, 2010
^^
Hmm,
Same here, though I leave town after 25th.
Not going anywhere near ice though grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 2:03pm On Dec 02, 2010
tkb417:

@debosky
For how long will they hold your kpali?

Do I know?

Went to ask the visa guys today and they say they don't even have a clue about when they will release my kpali. It's not as if I have Israeli stamps in my passport that they will be checking to see if I'm going to be spying on them. grin

Abeg if anyone knows any oyinbo looking for arrangee marriage just let me know. grin

@ topic
Spent the whole of yesterday looking for a village on google maps. . . . no I'm being serious. The boss wants to know if there's a good chance of blowing them up by 'mistake' because of a nearby gas pipeline. grin

I hope the visa officer is from that village. . . .once I get my visa I will make sure the mistake happens soon. angry grin

Office is half empty today because of some tiny snow. . . . I still remember the Russians I worked with in Canada who would be walking around in t-shirts in -10C weather with snow everywhere. Lazy arse Brits.
Re: Welcome To My Office by yodiyokun(f): 3:24pm On Dec 02, 2010
debosky:

Office is half empty today because of some tiny snow. . . . I still remember the Russians I worked with in Canada who would be walking around in t-shirts in -10C weather with snow everywhere. Lazy arse Brits.

lazy arse brits indeed, always whinning at the sight of little snow, lol!. Infact its a disgrace to call it snow, anything less than 5cm is flurries. When you start having 10-15cm, hen hen you dey talk.

I no fit wear t-shirt for -10 ooo that na craze, but after you get -25 constantly and it rises to -10 all of a sudden a winter jacket may feel too much. I have personally experienced that.

I love this weather though - freezing cold and snowing. I hate freezing rain that is a no no, it's worse than snow and I dislike the early sunsets.

I hope we get a white christmas this year.
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 3:38pm On Dec 02, 2010
^^

I remember one day I thought I was going to die in Ottawa. I left my lunch at home and was walking to work. . . . -20C, with wind chill of like -10 in addition. I got halfway to work before I remembered, but I knew that if I turned back, there would be news reports on CBC saying 'black man dies beside Rideau River because of food.' grin grin grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by yodiyokun(f): 4:02pm On Dec 02, 2010
debosky:

^^

I remember one day I thought I was going to die in Ottawa. I left my lunch at home and was walking to work. . . . -20C, with wind chill of like -10 in addition. I got halfway to work before I remembered, but I knew that if I turned back, there would be news reports on CBC saying 'black man dies beside Rideau River because of food.' grin grin grin

lol ! grin grin Ottawa, Thats why I live in GTA jejeli.

I was in Ottawa few days before xmas last year, their was already knee deep snow on the curbs! Thank God for winter boots and winter tires.
It never too cold as long as you dress appropriately. Yet to meet anyone that like the windchills. -30 without the wind is way better than -20 with -10 windchill factor!.
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 4:25pm On Dec 02, 2010
debosky:

^^

Lol. Debo, you mean you take home made lunch to work?
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 4:29pm On Dec 02, 2010
^^
Why should I be donating money to buy some yeye sandwiches that cost more than two whole loaves of bread for each one?

Mama didn't raise no fool. cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by candylips(m): 4:31pm On Dec 02, 2010
damn so some people like winter and snow.

i have been grounded working from home for the past three days because of small snow in london. i don tire for this people   angry
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 4:52pm On Dec 02, 2010
debosky:

^^
Why should I be donating money to buy some yeye sandwiches that cost more than two whole loaves of bread for each one?

Oh, that one na snacks nah. thought it's amala and ewedu you dey arrange grin   grin  grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by yodiyokun(f): 5:27pm On Dec 02, 2010
cecegorz:

Oh, that one na snacks nah. thought it's amala and ewedu you dey arrange grin grin grin

Is your plan to torture us, cry Ewedu and gbegiri) I need to make that one of these days.

Yep some people like snow, this is Canada remember, we are winter sports crazy. Besides there is an outdoor rink outside my house!

Any half brained smart person in the west brown bags for lunch at least 75% of the time , If I wan donate my money I'll give it to charity instead.
Re: Welcome To My Office by dayokanu(m): 5:30pm On Dec 02, 2010
debosky:

Abeg if anyone knows any oyinbo looking for arrangee marriage just let me know. grin

I know one. For my mind she be Oyinbo but people say na Albino, She dey sell Jedijedi for Iyana Ipaja bus stop.

Alternatively, Hope say you no mind Oyinbo guy? You can marry in California and enjoy conjugal benefits legally!!! cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by dayokanu(m): 5:33pm On Dec 02, 2010
debosky:

^^ Why should I be donating money to buy some yeye sandwiches that cost more than two whole loaves of bread for each one?

Leave all those people. Dey use $10-$15 chop something wey be like Holy communion for Deli.

Me I go arrange Lafun or Fufu and draw soup atimes Ofensala go work dey lick my fingers for lunch room

Dem never jam!!!
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 6:03am On Dec 03, 2010
@ajanlekoko
Where are u going? Brasil?

Mehnnnnnn, 9ja weather is the 'bestest'

I nor fit live abroaddd oh.

So, how are we sharing our bonuses and 13th month this December, This is the best of d year, small work, plenty money. Not looking forward to January at all all.

@debosky
I don't know about UK but what u want can be arranged in the States sharp sharp. How much is your budget? Lolol
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 12:13pm On Dec 03, 2010
Na wa o. . .er'one seems to be having a blast('cept for the people snowed in. . .lol)

I've been spending a lot of time out of the office on personal biz. . . grin, seems like it's paying sha, i have to wait till later this year to be sure.

I've been hearing rumours of a 13th month here as well, but seeing as i've been working for only 6 months(shocked seems like forever though) prolly wont be able to do a whole lot. . .but still, it's extra cash grin

@the a' la rin ka's(tkb and Ajanlekoko)
E ku'se o. . .y'all missed the queues, they're gone now sha. . .i'm still wondering what other xmas present govt has in store for us
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 12:19pm On Dec 03, 2010
tkb417:

@ajanlekoko
Where are u going? Brasil?

I no know yet. Was looking eastwards. Just somewhere to get away.
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 3:44pm On Dec 03, 2010
@AJ and TKB, the globe-trotters.

I will like to be like una when i grow up ooo  grin  grin  grin

You work hard, you play hard. I love that philosophy  cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 4:26pm On Dec 03, 2010
@Ajanlekoko
could you explain how the interconnection charges in telcos are handled?

logically, it seems the best thing to do would be to get the total duration of calls that emanate from a particular network and multiply it by the interconnection rate to get the charges.

or

is it calculated on a case by case basis? as in, for a 1minute call you charge 10.62(or whatever it is), for a 30 second call half of that, etc etc.

I'm trying to wrap my head about the airtel 9 naira rumours(i suspect it'll be only airtel to airtel sha).
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 5:07pm On Dec 03, 2010
netotse:

@Ajanlekoko
could you explain how the interconnection charges in telcos are handled?

logically, it seems the best thing to do would be to get the total duration of calls that emanate from a particular network and multiply it by the interconnection rate to get the charges.

or

is it calculated on a case by case basis? as in, for a 1minute call you charge 10.62(or whatever it is), for a 30 second call half of that, etc etc.

I'm trying to wrap my head about the airtel 9 naira rumours(i suspect it'll be only airtel to airtel sha).

You're right. Essentially it is the total number of seconds multiplied by the interconnect rate of N10.62 or thereabouts.
Airtel is offering 20k per second (12 naira per minute), but you must first have called at 60k per second for 90 seconds, essentially 54 naira, before you get the 20 kobo.

Not a bad offer, but 12 naira is walking a fine line on the net margins for any operator, after interconnect and all the costs are taken out. Though the Indian operating model is not based on average revenue per user. They work based on bulk volume of minutes, e.g. if they expect to generate 500 million minutes at 12 naira, and then take out their OPEX, leaving the net as EBITDA. Oops, too much jargon.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Wallie(m): 5:09pm On Dec 03, 2010
@ the Canadian dwellers

I used to think Boston was cold until I started visiting Montreal around Dec/Jan. You guys are on a different level. It gets so cold that your car heater feels like it has been switched to a slightly warm AC. Another thing, your gas is expensive but I guess you make up for it with your healthcare cost.

@ netotse
Yeah, I’m looking for someone with cocoa/objective C experience.

@ Topic
IP litigation is only glamorous when you see it on TV. It is the most boring paper intensive job ever! It is no surprise that the cost of litigation is in the millions because you have a bunch of attorneys that are charging about $400 per hour (firm rates) reviewing gazillions of boxes containing irrelevant documents!
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 8:47am On Dec 04, 2010
Okay guys.
Time for you all to haul azz angry to the Poster of the year thread, and nominate this year's Career section poster of the thread.
Else I will start charging for you to post in this thread grin
Thanks guys.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Tmoni(m): 6:39pm On Dec 05, 2010
@tkb and all 13 month peeps, do not forget us ooo

@debosky, we still never arrange our outing oo, make we chop Dudley money small

@AJ, oga, dnt forget us in your travels,

@topic,
I am working this weekend as usual sad
but i just recently recruited an assistant, first time for me to be on the other side of the recruitment wall ie The Interviewer,
A naija came and i felt for him because he did not answer any of the questions properly and at some point had to ask me if i was listening to him (confession, i was thinking of naija and the mrs and he was talking beans)

so to cut the long story, i have settled for a lady who has 15 years experience and she will be my assistant, (i got about 5)
it makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable but i hope it works and i also learn from her

I am going to naija soon and no work for a whole month
I also want to go to the calabar carnival maybe on the 26 or 27,

whats the best network to use in naija, mtn or vmobile (dat was the name i knew) or glo,
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 10:59am On Dec 06, 2010
@wallie
this is his profile. . .

@thread
apologies to economists and all, econs is a very boring subject o. . .i was forming versatile this weekend so i decided to read a world bank report titled Putting Nigeria to Work:A Strategy for Employment and Growth and mennnn the thing was enlightening but i must confess, it was a tedious read o. . .how person go dey read/write stuff like that for a living? una no dey tire? cheesy. . .

from reading it, i have a sense of where we're headed now sha. . .it isn't going to be easy.

as per office sturvs

my boss is caught up in his 'big contract' doesn't seem to have time for much else, still renegotiating responsibilities with the JV partner. . .i just hope this mood will continue till it's time to pay xmas bonus o. . .planning a surprise for them in my office cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by Wallie(m): 3:51pm On Dec 06, 2010
@netotse
Thanks for the link to the detailed World Bank report. It makes for an interesting read.

I probably can’t use the services of your friend this go-around because he’s on a different platform (freelancer) but I will keep him in mind for future projects.
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 4:38pm On Dec 06, 2010
@Tmoni
Get an etisalat line tho I have an mtn and I've been using it for many years. If not for that, woulda switched to etisalat
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 4:49pm On Dec 06, 2010
Wallie:

@netotse
Thanks for the link to the detailed World Bank report. It makes for an interesting read.

I probably can’t use the services of your friend this go-around because he’s on a different platform (freelancer) but I will keep him in mind for future projects.
no bigge, no worries. . .the report is really cool o, it's given me an idea of what direction i need to be facing

@thread
there's another scam afoot, they want to set up a transformer repair plant in nigeria along with some chinkos like this(diff from the big contract) my boss is going to ask me if i'm willing to stay for five years in return for being trained in china. . .rather than give him my church-mind answer (I'd rather die), i'm going to be nice and say I need to think it over. . .

this one seems more serious than the last one they tried to pull on boys, be trained in france and stay for 2 years(earning peanuts of course. . .i nearly chopped that one, na God deliver me o), the chinese people are already on ground for preliminary sturvs but knowing my boss, na slave labour you go dey sign up for. . .them no fit catch me, i get odeshi!
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 5:38pm On Dec 06, 2010
^^^^

the glories of the one man biz - u must be a real star if oga is trying to rope you in wink wink
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 6:19pm On Dec 06, 2010
My former oga is throwing us a big bash at the Imperial this wkend.
Dude stepped up big time into Executive Mgt. so he decides to spoil us a little.

Make we go chop chinese frog and lizard now  grin  grin 

@Neto you and this your oga eh, laff wan finish me here, thought people rejoice at abroad trainings grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 9:36pm On Dec 06, 2010
@oyb
na cheap labour im dey find jo, he's told all three engineers(we're all under 30 sha, i'm the youngest though). . .i wont lie, if not for the fact say i get tendencies myself, i for don fall for the guy's yarns o. . .the guy knows how to appear sensible. He know messed up when he spoke about the company recouping it's 'investment'. . .as if i didn't know the trainings are free(remember when i mentioned how we shafted some indians? it was them we did it for so they're very grateful).

@cecegorz
omo, i don sabi the guy's MO, if there's anything worse than a greek gift this is it. . .3months in china then sell your soul for 5 years(it's not as if your package'll improve o) the opportunity cost is too high.
Re: Welcome To My Office by diggler(m): 10:27pm On Dec 06, 2010
Sup folks.

Its been a bit.
Tho i've been following the thread sorta. Had a real laugh with the 13th month topic.

@Office
December is usually a 3 quarter month (usually is the operative here'). with my holiday kicking off on the 24th when markets close and we start attending trad weddings, white weddings, house warmings, Chieftaincy, thanksgiving, etc etc (so much free booze in the name of Rship mgt) for the next week till new Year.
Its works like so, Most of my trader customers wire funds all year round with the textile/holiday season products boys peaking sometime between July and Sept .

Then when December comes by we are drowned out in cash as the containers come in, they offload, make sales and fund their accounts ensuring i close the year with 200-300% target achievement on deposits.
Also on the Risk side, those OD accounts that have been in debit since July and hardly cleaned up bounce back into the black, sometimes in excess of 400% the facility amount granted.

Now GEJ in his desperate bid to occupy the villa has turned S#!t to S#!t.
the ink on the import reversals never dry meanwhile men dem have Billions worth of containers being loaded in the ports of Guangzhou, Zheijang and all em Chinko places.

This one dude has 150 containers (i kid you not) 150 containers of assorted items (mostly FMCGs and other holiday items) worth in excess of N2billion on the way. He has cleaned out my USD quota for the week and as we speak even the mallams in Lasgidi are scampering to meet demand.

I just pray suckers dont get burned (too badly cos the most definitely will) when this policy is once again reversed as is typical in our musical chair style of governance.

God bless Naija (Dora can go hug a transformer or use some 'high voltage' love machine if she desires)

peace
Re: Welcome To My Office by Tolulop001(f): 8:53am On Dec 07, 2010
u guys are cracking me up bigtyme!

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (77) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.