Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,705 members, 7,969,068 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 06:37 PM

Welcome To My Office - Career (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office (150559 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry. / I Rejected A 2 Year Bond By My Office Sending Me On A One Week Course To Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (77) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office by yodiyokun(f): 5:08pm On Dec 20, 2010
cecegorz:

Now tell me why somebody will be opposing an idea to light up this country in a 21st century, 100 years after the invention of electricity if that person is not the author of darkness angry angry angry

Basically, they are devil incarnate you seem to be saying, grin grin.

many of the Nepa folks will disagree with you vehemently, I dare say!. tongue tongue
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 10:19am On Dec 21, 2010
^^^
Whether they agree is not the issue, the issue is that i am tired of this kind of existence and somebody is coming up with a workable plan to move us forward while someone else wants to be a clog in the wheel.

They simply can't see beyond the few illicit money they make from hapless citizens by climbing up and down the ladder, collecting money for unsupplied units.

Shey na like this we go dey dey  grin  grin  grin

@office
There are talks of more pepper coming in from mgt, boyz are keeping our fingers crossed for the naira rain sha.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 10:51am On Dec 21, 2010
cecegorz:

^^^
Whether they agree is not the issue, the issue is that i am tired of this kind of existence and somebody is coming up with a workable plan to move us forward while someone else wants to be a clog in the wheel.

They simply can't see beyond the few illicit money they make from hapless citizens by climbing up and down the ladder, collecting money for unsupplied units.

This last weekend I was in Ayobo area. I saw some really terrible roads there.
Someone told me the community started an initiative to build drainage and roads, but the locals kicked against it, because they didn't want their kids to fall into gutters shocked

Illiteracy is Nigeria's real problem. undecided
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 11:05am On Dec 21, 2010
cecegorz:

^^^

They simply can't see beyond the few[b] illicit money they make from hapless citizens by climbing up and down the ladder, collecting money for unsupplied units.[/b]

@office
There are talks of more pepper coming in from mgt, boyz are keeping our fingers crossed for the naira rain sha.

that's a misconception that most people have about PHCN, there's more to PHCN than the distribution people(admittedly they make up the bulk of PHCN workers sha, so it's understandable)

An analogy, Generation is the federal govt, Transmission is like the state govt and distribution is the local govt. The local govt is the arm of govt closest to the people so it has the most employees(are they civil servants), however, they are not as highly trained as the state and federal civil servants with the federal civil servants being the best trained(in nigeria). Although in practice generation staff and transmission staff tend to be pretty much on the same level.

most of my PHCN time has been in transmission and we DO not deal with customers(meaning the general public). It's the old/inefficient/unqualified* transmission staff that are against privatization the competent ones(i've come across quite a number of these) wholly support it.

i quickly got tired of people asking me if i used to carry ladders around when they heard i worked with PHCN back in them days. . .not every PHCN worker climbs poles. There are doctors, accountants, teachers etc working there (PHCN is second only to the NPF in terms of workforce strength)

*usually union members too cheesy

BTW, an engineer in transmission can work in distribution, but a distribution engineer cant work in transmission, he wont measure up to standard.
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 11:08am On Dec 21, 2010
AjanleKoko:

This last weekend I was in Ayobo area. I saw some really terrible roads there.
Someone told me the community started an initiative to build drainage and roads, but the locals kicked against it, because they didn't want their kids to fall into gutters shocked

Illiteracy is Nigeria's real problem. undecided
i feel you on that. . .when shiroro was built, FGN offered to tar the roads and what-have-you in the relocated community but the locals declined, their reason: they didn't want cars to be knocking down their children

and now they periodically prevent workers from going to work because of govt neglect
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 11:22am On Dec 21, 2010
You know, Milton Friedman (the economist) once caused a lot of ruckus by saying Africans were better off by interacting with the white man.
Sometimes it is hard to disagree with his assertion.
Re: Welcome To My Office by axeman85(m): 11:30am On Dec 21, 2010
FELLOW BANKERS IN THE HOUSE. PLS HELP.

I AM CURRENTLY LOOKING TO DO MY NYSC IN 9JA COME FEB2011 BUT I AM DOING IT IN LAGOS AS A FOREIGN TRAINED GRADUTE. HOWEVER I HAVE WORK EXPERIENCE WORKING IN THE UK FOR AT LEAST 2YRS IN THE BANKING INDUSTRY IN UK.

PLS HOW DO I GO ABOUT DOING MY SERVICE YEAR IN A BANK AND ALSO HOW MUCH DO THESE BANKS PAYS CORPERS. ? as the probability of them hiring me as an experienced staff without nysc is qite slim.

PLS DONT YAB ME, AS I SAID. I AM ALREADY AN EXPERIENCED WORKER IN THE UK BUT BECOS I WANT TO RELOCATE BACK TO 9JA NYSC IS A MUST SO I HAVE NO OPTION THAN TO DO IT, HENCE MY QUESTIONS. ANYBODY WITH INFO CAN DROP ME A MAIL IN MY BOX OR LEAVE IT ON HERE. #THANKS
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 11:37am On Dec 21, 2010
@Neto,

You know quite well we ain't that naive when it comes to the job segmentation within the monolithic power player.
But honestly, we have come to that level where we don't care where the lag is coming from , all we know is that NUEE which comprises of all the divisions (i suppose) is breathing fire and brimstone against the power reform program.

You may want to defend some departments but i dare you that the status quo madness feeds all the unscrupulous benefactors across board.

Meanwhile @AJ, i strongly agree with Friedman.
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 11:41am On Dec 21, 2010
cecegorz:

@Neto,

You know quite well we ain't that naive when it comes to the job segmentation within the monolithic power player.
But honestly, we have come to that level where we don't care where the lag is coming from , all we know is that NUEE which comprises of all the divisions (i suppose) is breathing fire and brimstone against the power reform program.

You may want to defend some departments but i dare you that the status quo madness feeds all the unscrupulous benefactors across board.

Meanwhile @AJ, i strongly agree with Friedman.
actually, it's only junior workers that are there, the senior ones are in SSAEC or something equally funny.

as per the bolded, i must confess you're right, yesterday it was at after 9.00 that majority of the workers started trooping in(a couple didn't even show at all sef), me i just dey wonder which private companies will allow it's workers to be lounging like that and still be collecting full salary at the end of the month.
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 11:45am On Dec 21, 2010
axeman85:

FELLOW BANKERS IN THE HOUSE. PLS HELP.

I AM CURRENTLY LOOKING TO DO MY NYSC IN 9JA COME FEB2011 BUT I AM DOING IT IN LAGOS AS A FOREIGN TRAINED GRADUTE. HOWEVER I HAVE WORK EXPERIENCE WORKING IN THE UK FOR AT LEAST 2YRS IN THE BANKING INDUSTRY IN UK.

PLS HOW DO I GO ABOUT DOING MY SERVICE YEAR IN A BANK AND ALSO HOW MUCH DO THESE BANKS PAYS CORPERS. ? as the probability of them hiring me as an experienced staff without nysc is qite slim.

PLS DONT YAB ME, AS I SAID. I AM ALREADY AN EXPERIENCED WORKER IN THE UK BUT BECOS I WANT TO RELOCATE BACK TO 9JA NYSC IS A MUST SO I HAVE NO OPTION THAN TO DO IT, HENCE MY QUESTIONS. ANYBODY WITH INFO CAN DROP ME A MAIL IN MY BOX OR LEAVE IT ON HERE. #THANKS

Welcome home, boy. I hope your own axeman is not the type that carry a miniature pick axe in your trousers  grin  grin

Any way, there is one general way of doing Youth service in banks/big corporations in Naija. And that is by writing the aptitude tests they normaly conduct for Corp members, if you pass, you still get interviewed and that determines your fate.
But then, if you are well heeled, i know there might still be other ways wink  wink
Re: Welcome To My Office by axeman85(m): 12:14pm On Dec 21, 2010
cecegorz:

Welcome home, boy. I hope your own axeman is not the type that carry a miniature pick axe in your trousers  grin  grin

Any way, there is one general way of doing Youth service in banks/big corporations in Naija. And that is by writing the aptitude tests they normaly conduct for Corp members, if you pass, you still get interviewed and that determines your fate.
But then, if you are well heeled, i know there might still be other ways wink  wink

na wao thanks for the insight, BUT how will i know when these test is being conducted and besides i thought this test is usually for entry level staffs or newbies from university. BUT i have got work experience of which 2yrs till present is with a bank in the uk.

so ow will i know when these tests are being conducted or should i just go to these bank head offices and drop my cv there ? also wots deir pay like
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 12:34pm On Dec 21, 2010
^^^
Adverts are normally circulated within the camp, you can as well network with fellow corp members to get tips of test dates.
Ermmm, sorry your 2yrs experience can only add value after you have passed the written test, and are seated before the oral panel, some organizations even do aptitude tests for experienced hires grin

If you understand that virtually all the corp members want to 'serve' in the banks, you will understand why the need for the aptitude test.
Re: Welcome To My Office by axeman85(m): 12:55pm On Dec 21, 2010
cecegorz:

^^^
Adverts are normally circulated within the camp, you can as well network with fellow corp members to get tips of test dates.
Ermmm, sorry your 2yrs experience can only add value after you have passed the written test, and are seated before the oral panel, some organizations even do aptitude tests for experienced hires grin

If you understand that virtually all the corp members want to 'serve' in the banks, you will understand why the need for the aptitude test.

yes ur correct i know stanbic conduct test for experienced hires. so what is the salary range for corpers if u av a clue and also could it be increased based on my experience ? jst asking cos if no be say this nysc dey compulsory b4 person fit get jb for 9ja i for no worry.
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 1:11pm On Dec 21, 2010
^^^
Dude, you better get your arse down and serve your fatherland  grin

I earned five thousand naira (5,000) not quite long ago in the North, some folks in the govt schools/ ministry were earning 2k, serving the fatherland with pride cool  cool

Its not about what you get paid, though you might get up to 40-80k in Lagos anyway, depending on the bank. Truth is that without that discharge certificate, nobody will touch your CV.
Re: Welcome To My Office by axeman85(m): 1:33pm On Dec 21, 2010
cecegorz:

^^^
Dude, you better get your arse down and serve your fatherland  grin

I earned five thousand naira (5,000) not quite long ago in the North, some folks in the govt schools/ ministry were earning 2k, serving the fatherland with pride cool  cool

Its not about what you get paid, though you might get up to 40-80k in Lagos anyway, depending on the bank. Truth is that without that discharge certificate, nobody will touch your CV.

kai siddon dere jare. wich kain fatherland. father land wey force me go spend thousands of ££££££££ to get good quality education. well dem suppose dey priviledge say i wan bring my talent and experience wey oyinbo give me come work for dem sef or serve wth dem. lol grin

its about what you get paid for me wen u get a home to run and house rent to pay ooo. so dat 2k or 5k no go reach anywia but 50k or 25 or more , i fit manage .lol

yes your correct about the discharge certificate thats why i am looking to do it and jst close eye struggle for the 1yr.

chief abeg if there dem accept corpers for ur side u fit help a fellow Nlander ooo.

others as well wey dey this section make una helep me ooo. i no dey do shakara oo na beg i dey beg
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 2:06pm On Dec 21, 2010
axeman85:

kai siddon dere jare. wich kain fatherland. father land wey force me go spend thousands of ££££££££ to get good quality education. well dem suppose dey priviledge say i wan bring my talent and experience wey oyinbo give me come work for dem sef or serve wth dem. lol grin

its about what you get paid for me wen u get a home to run and house rent to pay ooo. so dat 2k or 5k no go reach anywia but 50k or 25 or more , i fit manage .lol

yes your correct about the discharge certificate thats why i am looking to do it and jst close eye struggle for the 1yr.

chief abeg if there dem accept corpers for your side u fit help a fellow Nlander ooo.

others as well wey dey this section make una helep me ooo. i no dey do shakara oo na beg i dey beg
@axeman
if you go before a panel and mention 2 years experience, you're likely to get a bored look. . .it isn't exactly a long time, career-wise.
Re: Welcome To My Office by axeman85(m): 2:21pm On Dec 21, 2010
netotse:

@axeman
if you go before a panel and mention 2 years experience, you're likely to get a bored look. . .it isn't exactly a long time, career-wise.

2yrs as a banker, 2yrs as a financial advisor. = 4yrs professional work experience.
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 3:21pm On Dec 21, 2010
^that's more like it. . .
Re: Welcome To My Office by yodiyokun(f): 3:27pm On Dec 21, 2010
cecegorz:

^^^
Dude, you better get your arse down and serve your fatherland grin

I earned five thousand naira (5,000) not quite long ago in the North, some folks in the govt schools/ ministry were earning 2k, serving the fatherland with pride cool cool

Shoot, I don't have an idea where mine is, I got to go serach my files when I get home.

My journey in Isiala Ngwa cannot go up in smoke like that!.
Re: Welcome To My Office by yodiyokun(f): 3:30pm On Dec 21, 2010
netotse:

@axeman

Do organizatiosn still conduct panel interviews.

Interviews are a funny thing, In my 10+ years of working, I dont think I have attended up to 15 interviews.
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 3:51pm On Dec 21, 2010
yodiyokun:

Do organizatiosn still conduct panel interviews.

Interviews are a funny thing, In my 10+ years of working, I dont think I have attended up to 15 interviews.

me i've attended two. . .in naija, the latest is general test, occupational test then interview in fact sef, some coys organize essay writing competition before interview sef. . .cheesy(i gather PZ cussons recently invited successful applicants to a venue to 'write a letter to your president telling him what you think are the problems of nigeria')
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 4:24pm On Dec 21, 2010
axeman85:

May be we need to create a seperate thread and trash this out , honestly i no longer believe this mantra of abroad education better than Nigeria's.
Until you guys start coming back with business ideas to start-up and create small jobs instead of coming to huzzle for the few existence jobs, its all the same. UK or US or Naija. cool  cool
Re: Welcome To My Office by Wallie(m): 5:22pm On Dec 21, 2010
cecegorz:

Until you guys start coming back with business ideas to start-up and create small jobs instead of coming to huzzle for the few existence jobs, its all the same. UK or US or Naija. cool cool

You are probably right in terms of societal benefit from foreign trained graduates. What good is the purportedly better and more expensive degree if it doesn’t create any societal benefit but takes away from it? On the other hand, it is extremely difficult to come up with a viable biz plan that is relevant to the Nigerian market without having strong ties or competent partners back there.

I have even thought of going through the NYSC just to better understand the Nigerian economy but the possibility of being sent anywhere else apart from Lagos terrifies me. Another alternative will be to take an extended vacation for like 3 months but I can’t seem to make it past week 3 before having enough.

@Topic
Waiting for the week to end before taking off up north for vacation and winter sports. I also got a Dremel rotary tool as xmas gift from my firm. I now have enough tools to rival most well equipped mechanics cool The only thing I need now is a car lift in my garage!
Re: Welcome To My Office by dayokanu(m): 7:29pm On Dec 21, 2010
My Oga just bought a Harley Davidson bike and he took us all to wash it.

While I am on Nairaland looking for Arsenal fans to abuse or single girls to flirt with.
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 10:14pm On Dec 21, 2010
Those who study abroad usually (99.9%) get Lagos or Abuja. Except you have other preferences like someone who I know was recruited from UK and she had to resume @ P n G Ibadan so she opted for Ibadan

All other UK/US returnees are always in Lagos and Abuja camps

If you haven't done nysc, then its best u do it or u regret it many years after
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 10:52pm On Dec 21, 2010
tkb417:

Those who study abroad usually (99.9%) get Lagos or Abuja. Except you have other preferences like someone who I know was recruited from UK and she had to resume @ P n G Ibadan so she opted for Ibadan

True dat. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, returnees can choose where they wanna go.

@Topic,
In ABJ on a work trip.

Rockview sucks sha . . . I just dey reminisce on the good old days when it was Transcorp Hilton or nowhere else sad
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jcob(m): 10:57pm On Dec 21, 2010
AjanleKoko:

True dat. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, returnees can choose where they wanna go.

@Topic,
In ABJ on a work trip.

Rockview sucks sha . . . I just dey reminisce on the good old days when it was Transcorp Hilton or nowhere else sad

tkb417:

That was back in the days  o o o . Used to have a friend that we served together in Yobe, He returned from Uk, Chose to serve in Lagos, ended up getting posted to the Sahel, all means of redeploying proved abortive. Probably rubbing of palms is part of the deal.
Re: Welcome To My Office by medjai(m): 10:40am On Dec 22, 2010
yodiyokun:

Shoot, I don't have an idea where mine is, I got to go serach my files when I get home.

My journey in Isiala Ngwa cannot go up in smoke like that!.
My God! Isiala Ngwa, Abia state, I served there too. 2008 Batch B.
They obviously didn't "eat you" - remember the popular legend? LOL
@op: we are closing for the year, today. It's been a wonderful year
Re: Welcome To My Office by axeman85(m): 10:41am On Dec 22, 2010
@jcob

maybe ur friend was jst unlucky as the last person i communicated with who is currently servng wth the last batch that went to camp in october 2010 was also given the option of lagos or abuja. however they usually say there is no option but in truth there is option and i also thinki coke money is involved as those officers can sometimes be callous. thanks

guys nobody still dn aswer myc question oooooo.
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 11:44am On Dec 22, 2010
Talk about jumbo hampers, guys!!!

5 units of LG 32'' LCD screens landed in the office for d boyz cool  cool  cool

E no reach me ooo sad
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 1:48pm On Dec 22, 2010
dayokanu:

My Oga just bought a Harley Davidson bike and he took us all to wash it.

While I am on Nairaland looking for Arsenal fans to abuse or single girls to flirt with.

You should be ashamed of yourself. grin

Work is boring, so I've decided to have 'coffee' with one French chick to spice things up. grin Finally got my leave approved. . . .tomorrow is my last day. The next time I'll be here is the 10th of Jan. cool cool
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 2:05pm On Dec 22, 2010
hey ppl,

Ok, so after 6 months of mixed experiences, i just turned in my resignation grin the man is too caught up with his new contracts to really bother sha, he just said ok. . .(the evil fella wants to hold me to the one months notice or in lieu a months salary thingy in my contract. . .na God go deal with am for me. . .lol)

I'm going to be moving south in the new year(not oil and gas though), this time i'll be more involved with machines sha. . .

things i'll miss from this current job:

Knowing what's going on in abj, i'm around some really connected people, gist dey fly wella.

Lau lau. . .i rarely get to work before 9, and it's a pretty laid back atmosphere.

My boss trying to code stuff from me(the man dey always fail. . .lol)

My colleagues. . .i've become attached to these folks  cry

All the Mind games sha. . .i had fun.

etc etc.

things i wont miss.

Earning peanuts(sometimes i wonder how i even came to accept the darn offer sef. . .lol)

Being treated as if i didn't go to school. . .(all the assignments i dubbed cant be in vain now. . .haba!)

Being passed up for field trips.(what am i an engineer for if i dont get to go to the field? )

P.S.
I'll gist you guys about my new job when i resume(jan 10th). . .but till then, i'm blissfully unemployed. . .lol.

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (77) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.