Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,975 members, 7,873,136 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:32 AM

T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) (56360 Views)

Oguntoye, Overall Best In NDA 60RC Killed By Boko Haram (Photos) / Profile Of Colonel Muhammad Ali Who Was Killed By Boko Haram (photos) / Troops Destroy Boko Haram Spiritual Base At Alagarno Forest,Borno. Graphic Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by Senjuchiha: 4:44pm On Feb 05, 2015
akajos4real:
Another lie, that is not a Nigerian Airport.
The originator of that picture should tell Nigerians which airport in Nigeria that picture was taken.
Lets not mis-inform Nigerians
wt is wrong wif ds 1 sef...na everybody nl dy accept nwadys again? Weda na 4 9ja airport or not rnt u hapi dt d military gadgets wld b used by d NA 2 kill dose bastards 1ce n 4 all.......u r a real 'progressive indeed'
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by simdam500(m): 4:55pm On Feb 05, 2015
Muhylonaire: this should help....except they dont use it well and except boko dey use juju

Lol funny... u mean boko haram will use incantation to tell the pilot to vamouseeeeeee the plane for them use... grin grin
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by Nobody: 5:06pm On Feb 05, 2015
inalegwu99:
hapy BUHALENTINE in AVDVANCE......acquiring tanks wen it is few days to election just to make nigerians feel this clueless ambasador is workin?? lie lie CHANGE!!!
is he gay?
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by bigdot1759(m): 5:25pm On Feb 05, 2015
P D P ................ Say BUHARI Say BABA................
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by SenatorJames(m): 6:22pm On Feb 05, 2015
I pray with this Boko haram will be a thing of the past in the country.

I pray there will be political will to end them, so that all these ammunition will not just be a cosmetics to please the media.

1 Like

Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by adob16(f): 6:33pm On Feb 05, 2015
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by rhames(m): 6:34pm On Feb 05, 2015
iiichidodo:
Forget the T-72s,pretty much old school but the best battle tank of its generation,its ancestors T-50s are judged to be operationally better than the American Shermans and the legendary Nazi Panzerfaust king tigers in range,speed and armour..the T-72s are devastatingly efficient..the BMPs, my dear people of Nigeria, are the sh**t..coming with 30 mm autocannons,mortar launchers,portals for easy and quick fire suppression by all occupants, diesel engines, high tensile front,side armour,subwoofer sleek internal environment..we are talking about 300 horses of pure russian muscle and firepower.I'd kill to be part of its crew..We will give the American Bradleys a run for their money..Kudos to Daddy Goodluck for these toys..

Thanks for the analysis. I am better educated on what these tanks can do now compared to what we used to have.
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by ElekeNtioba: 6:46pm On Feb 05, 2015
iiichidodo:
Forget the T-72s,pretty much old school but the best battle tank of its generation,its ancestors T-50s are judged to be operationally better than the American Shermans and the legendary Nazi Panzerfaust king tigers in range,speed and armour..the T-72s are devastatingly efficient..the BMPs, my dear people of Nigeria, are the sh**t..coming with 30 mm autocannons,mortar launchers,portals for easy and quick fire suppression by all occupants, diesel engines, high tensile front,side armour,subwoofer sleek internal environment..we are talking about 300 horses of pure russian muscle and firepower.I'd kill to be part of its crew..We will give the American Bradleys a run for their money..Kudos to Daddy Goodluck for these toys..

war is not a video game
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by iiichidodo: 6:59pm On Feb 05, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

war is not a video game
It was an analysis boy not a bucketlist...some people don't understand a good exposé even though it smacks them in the face..i blame the educational system.
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by Nobody: 7:43pm On Feb 05, 2015
T-72
For the videogame, see T-72: Balkans On Fire! .
T-72
T-72B3
Type Main battle tank
Place of
origin
Soviet Union
Service history
In service 1973–present
Used by See Operators
Wars See Combat History
Production history
Designer Leonid Kartsev-Valeri Venediktov
Designed 1967–1973
Manufact
urer Uralvagonzavod
Unit cost 0.5-1.2 in 1994-1996, [1] 30,962,000–
61,924,000 rubles (US$1–2 million) (in
2009) [2]
Produced 1973–present
Number
built
25,000+
Specifications (T-72A [5][4] )
Weight 41.5 tonnes (45.7 short tons )
Length 9.53 m (31 ft 3 in) gun forward
6.95 m (22 ft 10 in) hull
Width 3.59 m (11 ft 9 in)
Height 2.23 m (7 ft 4 in)
Crew 3
Armour steel and composite armour
Main
armamen
t
125 mm 2A46M /2A46M-5 [3] smoothbore
gun
Secondar
y
armamen
t
7.62 mm PKT coax machine gun
12.7 mm NSVT antiaircraft machine gun
Engine V-12 diesel
780 hp (582 kw)
Power/
weight 18.8 hp/t
Transmis
sion
Synchromesh , hydraulically assisted, with 7
forward and 1 reverse gears.
Suspensi
on
Torsion bar
Ground
clearance
0.49 m (19 in)
Fuel
capacity
1,200 L (320 U.S. gal; 260 imp gal)
Operation
al
range
460 km (290 mi), 700 km (430 mi) with fuel
drums
Speed 60 km/h (37 mph) [4]
The T-72 is a Soviet second-generation main battle tank
that entered production in 1971. [6] About 20,000 T-72
tanks were built, [7] making it one of the most widely
produced post–World War II tanks, second only to the
T-54/55 family. The T-72 was widely exported and saw
service in 40 countries and in numerous conflicts. Improved
variants are still being built for export customers.
Development
T-64
The development of the T-72 was a direct result of the
introduction of the T-64 tank. The T-64 (Object 432) was a
very ambitious project to build a competitive tank with a
weight of not more than 36 tonnes under the direction of
Alexander Morosov in Kharkov. [8] To achieve that goal the
crew was reduced to three soldiers, saving the loader by
introducing an automated loading system. This and other
steps allowed a reduced weight, but caused problems when
looking for a reliable engine to fit in the smaller hull. [9]
The production of the T-64 with a 115-mm gun began in
1964, but plans to build the T-64A with a more powerful
125-mm gun had already been made back in 1963. [10]
Problems with the first batch of T-64 tanks were centred
around the 5TDF 700 hp engine and the auto loading
mechanism. The engine was unreliable, [11] difficult to
mend and only had a guaranteed life span of a World War 2
era tank engine. [12]
A strong lobby around designer Morosov advocated for the
T-64 in Moscow, preventing rivalling developments and
ideas to be discussed. [13][14]
Detour: mobilization model
A mobilisation model of the T-64 with the cheaper and
much more reliable V-45 engine (780 hp) was to be
developed by Uralvagonzavod , since the Malyshev Factory
in Kharkov could not provide a sufficient amount of 5TDF
engines for all Soviet tank factories in wartime. [15]
The 5TDF was too complex and its production twice as
costly as the V-45 engine. [16] In 1967 the Uralvagonzavod
formed "Section 520", which was to prepare the serial
production of the T-64 for 1970. [17] The team soon found
out that the more powerful V-45 engine put a lot of stress
on the fragile T-64 hull, so that after some time cracks
started to materialize. A more stable solution had to be
found. [15]
Finally, an idea from 1960 was used, when a modification
of the T-62 had been discussed: In 1961 two prototypes of
"Object 167" had been built by Uralvagonzavod to test a
more powerful hull and running gear combination for that
tank. Under influence from Kharkov the idea had been
turned down by Moscow. [18] But this construction, with its
big, rubbercoated roadwheels now formed the basis for the
"mobilisation model" of the T-64. [19]
Additional changes were made to the automatic loading
system, which also was taken from an earlier project,
originally intended for a T-62 upgrade. Ammunition ,
consisting of a separate projectile and a propellant charge
was now stored horizontally on two levels, not vertically on
one level like in the T-64. [20] It was said to be more
reliable than the T-64 autoloader. [19] In 1964 two 125-mm
guns of the D-81 type had been used to test their
installation in the T-62, so the Ural plant was ready for
adopting the 125-mm calibre for the T-64A as well. [21]
T-72
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by tit(f): 7:48pm On Feb 05, 2015
iiichidodo:

bmps are ifv.
the t-72 is a mbt.
a mbt firepower overwhelms any ifv.
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by Adminisher: 8:01pm On Feb 05, 2015
pupsyd:
YES! GEJ IS WORKING!

Yes GEJ is losing.
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by ElekeNtioba: 8:06pm On Feb 05, 2015
iiichidodo:
It was an analysis boy not a bucketlist...some people don't understand a good exposé even though it smacks them in the face..i blame the educational system.

silly kid, comparing a main battle tank to an infantry fighting vehicle. FYI, the BMPs dont carry "mortars launchers".

you are right to blame d educational system....for spurning pple like u who make hollow exposé and are proud of it.

Go back to ur video games and leave a topic u know nothing abt.
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by iiichidodo: 8:12pm On Feb 05, 2015
tit:

bmps are ifv.
the t-72 is a mbt.
a mbt firepower overwhelms any ifv.
MBTs aren't as mobile as IFVs thus they are prone to be isolated and overran.Little reason why they are used as mobile artillery units in specific battle scenarios...but an IFV especially a BMP is well suited to a mobile war which aptly connotes this current insurgency..it combines the speed and agility of a race car to the armour and fire power of a Tank although not completely(BMPs now come issued with standard ATGMs and TOWs).
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by iiichidodo: 8:15pm On Feb 05, 2015
ElekeNtioba:
[s]

silly kid, comparing a main battle tank to an infantry fighting vehicle. FYI, the BMPs dont carry "mortars launchers".

you are right to blame d educational system....for spurning pple like u who make hollow exposé and are proud of it.

Go back to ur video games and leave a topic u know nothing abt.[/s]

We understand your pain and jealousy little man....now shove your sour grapes elsewhere.
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by pupsyd: 8:41pm On Feb 05, 2015
Adminisher:

Yes GEJ is Seriously Working Ooo Kudos To Him!
gringringrin
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by borntosave: 9:25pm On Feb 05, 2015
Nice
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by ommo(m): 9:28pm On Feb 05, 2015
GreenWhiteGreen:
GEJ Till every Muslim becomes christian.

And the foolish GOAT just showed its true self. A MUGGINS
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by ommo(m): 9:36pm On Feb 05, 2015
[quote author=Rikidony post=30444751][/quote]

I seriously wish this is TRUE, but, the AIRPORT does not look NIGERIA. I may be mistaken, can someone tell me which Nigeria airport is that. And can we see actual pictures of the tanks being use by our military men.

I'm SUSPICIOUS OOOOOO!!!!!!
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by Nobody: 11:01pm On Feb 05, 2015
Bad belly wey full for inside this nairaland like ants, make una go join boko haram nw so that the bomb wey government the bring go smash una join,

Nonsense ppl wey no the appreciate gud thing for their lives,

I no say sm of una self wey de here nah una brothers be de boko haram wey de finish una own blood.

President is back again no shaking***
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by Wuna(m): 5:36am On Feb 06, 2015
See this huge amount of money being spent just because some people called islamists from islam want to islamise Nigeria..................
I pray for Nigeria my country, to be trasformed and united not changed to islam.

1 Like

Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by 9jagoodman: 10:44am On Feb 06, 2015
inalegwu99:
hapy BUHALENTINE in AVDVANCE......acquiring tanks wen it is few days to election just to make nigerians feel this clueless ambasador is workin?? lie lie CHANGE!!!

NA BUHARI, una de paint like this I dey laugh
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by revolt(m): 10:58am On Feb 06, 2015
iiichidodo:
all these would have been beautiful if our engineers built a piece of it.
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by LANREFORWA: 12:41am On Feb 07, 2015
I blame pple who put their faith on buhari as if he is their messaiah is a man like u who need to cater for his family and re pay his sponsus. Better look unto God and work smart cos u are not part of his plan
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by hidee20(m): 11:30pm On Mar 13, 2015
pupsyd:
after all GEJ is not an angel, he his also a human being like you!

I guess if you were the one, you will not do quarter of what he has done!

abi no be so grin

pls,can u lecture does dat lost one or two relatives about this? undecided
He is the commander-in-chief for crying out loud,if u cant cope with d heat while wanna stay in d kitchen.
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by Nobody: 11:36pm On Mar 13, 2015
GreenWhiteGreen:
GEJ Till every Muslim becomes christian.

very silly of you
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by Adminisher: 11:38pm On Mar 13, 2015
Obascoetubi:
SAI GEJ-2019
SAI PDP ARMIES

This is extremely idiotic to an extremely high degree.
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by Ajjubhai(m): 3:31pm On Sep 13, 2016
how far na brother...i hope u are coping?
bcomputer101:
Here is my Pledge on the ELECTION day!

I pledge to Nigeria my country.
To remove Jonathan and Sambo,
To be gentle, loyal on election day,
To vote BUHARI and OSINBAJO with all my strength,
To protect my vote and uphold no violence and trouble.
So help me God!
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by TheAviator: 7:08am On Feb 03, 2020

Hello Mr Rikidony, please to which Nigerian company did the Army award the contract to supply these T-72 Tanks? I am aware that they were procured from Excalibur Army in Czech Republic, however, I am sure that the Nigerian Army wouldn't award the contract directly to Excalibur Army in Europe. They would have awarded the contract to a Nigerian company, which then contracted with Excalibur Army for the supply. Please, do you know the Nigerian company?
Re: T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) by TheAviator: 7:10am On Feb 03, 2020

Hello, Mr Rikidony. Please to which Nigerian company did the Army award the contract to supply these T-72 Tanks? I am aware that they were procured from Excalibur Army in Czech Republic, however, I am sure that the Nigerian Army wouldn't award the contract directly to Excalibur Army in Europe. They would have awarded the contract to a Nigerian company, which then contracted with Excalibur Army for the supply. Please, do you know the Nigerian company?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Governor Collected N500m New Notes From One Bank – El-rufai / Why Elections May Not Hold In Some Areas —INEC / Snubbed By Tinubu In London, Osinbajo Ready For Presidential Fight Of His Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.