Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,109 members, 7,890,689 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 06:15 PM

Is INEC Really Independent? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is INEC Really Independent? (1843 Views)

Punch Is INEC Result Media. / 2015 Elections: Is INEC Using Card Readers Or Not? Read What INEC Has Concluded / Feb 14; Is INEC Really Ready For This Election? Who Is Fooling Who? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is INEC Really Independent? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Feb 09, 2015
Mixed reactions continue to trail the postponement of the general elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission(INEC), which according to the INEC chairman, Prof. Jega, is due to issues relating to the insecurity in certain parts of the country as well as a letter received by the commission from the security chiefs that they can't guarantee the security of the whole election process if it were to go on as earlier scheduled.
This brings up the questions;
- Is INEC really independent seeing that the service chiefs all answer to the President of the country?
- Should INEC should be renamed NNEC (Nigeria National Electoral Commission) so that we would know they are directly dependent on the Nigerian government?

1 Like

Re: Is INEC Really Independent? by mysyto(m): 2:17pm On Feb 09, 2015
It didnt dawn on me that election postponement is a big issue until my inbox was jammed and my phone didnt stop ringing all night. Three people said they vomitted. Well, let me tell you that this is just the beginning, get yourself ready for more setbacks!

The following message has been going round, no smoke without fire!

"Gov Mimiko's brother Prof Mimiko the Vice Chancellor of Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba in Ondo State has been penciled down by the presidency to take over from Prof Jega if he is frustrated out of office as inec boss. Professor Mimiko is ready to play ball in favour of PDP whichever way the election may go. Nigerians, be vigilant you are duly informed and warned accordingly"!
Re: Is INEC Really Independent? by Nairalane: 2:17pm On Feb 09, 2015
Taking It From The Security Argument, The Role Of The Nigerian Soldiers Is Not For Internal Security Operations But Mainly For External Defence Of National Integrity. So, Is The Election A Battle. Why Do We Need The Soldiers Mainly. What Are The Police, Nscdc And Para Military For. Theoretically The Inec Is, But Practically Not. Front Page Jor

3 Likes

Re: Is INEC Really Independent? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Feb 09, 2015
At least Buhari is learning something about constitutional democracy.

The days of animalistic military rulers are over.

Vote GEJ abeg

Re: Is INEC Really Independent? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Feb 09, 2015
mysyto:
"Gov Mimiko's brother Prof Mimiko the Vice Chancellor of Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba in Ondo State has been penciled down by the presidency to take over from Prof Jega if he is frustrated out of office as inec boss. Professor Mimiko is ready to play ball in favour of PDP whichever way the election may go. Nigerians, be vigilant you are duly informed and warned accordingly"!
I have always thought these were mere speculations.
Jega, I believe is a fighter. To conduct a relatively fair election in a corruption riddled country like Nigeria can't be beans.
Nevertheless, Nigeria & the international community must keep watching closely.

1 Like

Re: Is INEC Really Independent? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Feb 09, 2015
Nairalane:
Taking It From The Security Argument, The Role Of The Nigerian Soldiers Is Not For Internal Security Operations But Mainly For External Defence Of National Integrity. So, Is The Election A Battle. Why Do We Need The Soldiers Mainly. What Are The Police, Nscdc And Para Military For. Theoretically The Inec Is, But Practically Not. Front Page Jor
Good points. I personally don't believe the watery security argument as a basis for postponing the elections.
Re: Is INEC Really Independent? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Feb 09, 2015
quid:
At least Buhari is learning something about constitutional democracy.

The days of animalistic military rulers are over.

Vote GEJ abeg
GEJ has tried his best for the country. But why does it look like he is manipulating INEC discretely? If the victory is his, nothing can change it.
Re: Is INEC Really Independent? by Twingles(f): 2:45pm On Feb 09, 2015
Nah!! I doubt dere's any organization established by govt dat is independent. I tynk d independence of any org or commission is relative.

1 Like

Re: Is INEC Really Independent? by menix(m): 2:47pm On Feb 09, 2015
Before asking if INEC is indepedent, y not ask urself this; nigeria got its independent in 1960, re we truly independent.

Maybe d vote to recognise Palestine wuld help u answer that question..

1 Like

Re: Is INEC Really Independent? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Feb 09, 2015
0rex:

GEJ has tried his best for the country. But why manipulate INEC discretely? If the victory is his, nothing can change it.
Nobody is manipulating INEC.
Re: Is INEC Really Independent? by raumdeuter: 2:53pm On Feb 09, 2015
Dependent Nigerian electoral commission

DNEC

1 Like

Re: Is INEC Really Independent? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 09, 2015
quid:

Nobody is manipulating INEC.
I meant to say 'seem to be'.

How come the service chiefs suddenly realize that they can't secure the elections a week to it?

What is the place of the police, Civil defense & other paramilitary units in our security?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How I Killed, Drained Teenager’s Blood For Money Ritual – Suspect / THE HIDDEN TRUTH ON FIGHT AGAINST BOKO HARAM / Jos Bomb Blasts: Angry Protesters Burn Churches — Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.