Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,420 members, 7,881,542 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:22 PM

Teething In Children, What You Should Know ..... - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Teething In Children, What You Should Know ..... (5152 Views)

8 Things Every Man Should Know How To Do / Is Your Baby Teething? / Teething In Children...pls Help With Info... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teething In Children, What You Should Know ..... by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 12, 2015
I choose to post this in family section (not health) because my target for this publication, is mothers and parents in general, to appropriately inform the misconception that abound, when handling their children , of which they tend to ascribe everything to teething in children.... I'll take my time to deal incisively with teething while addressing those misconceptions. It is going to be succinct and concise....

What is Teething?
Teething is the process by which, an infant grows teeth through the gum, it is a natural process that occurs in children and in a vast majority of the cases comes with very mild symptoms or no symptoms at all.As we all know, children first develop the temporary teeth (milk teeth), before the permanent start surfacing later in life,, when some of the milk teeth would have been lost.

Time line for teething.

In children , the first set of teeth to appear, are the lower front teeth (mandibular central incisor )This is usually between 6 - 9 months , afterwards others fellow, usually closely, the first set of permanent teeth to appear, is at about 6 yr , which is the first molar teeth ...

Symptoms of teething

This is the bane of our discussion and where most of the misconception(s) emanate. Just like I wrote earlier, teething in children develops very mild symptoms or no symptoms at all, . These symptoms include

*itching gums - because of the discomfort, at this stage, u observe the child, biting anything they come in contact with, or chewing any object they manage to grab

*dribbling more than usual - dribbling simply put is saliva Oozing out of the mouth, so you could observe this more

*rubbing of the chick on the side growing teeth and the ear on that same side.

very rarely (I mean very rarely), symptoms may be worse, with swelling of the gums and pain

THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THAT TEETHING CAUSES FEVER (Temperature rise) AND DIARRHOEA IN CHILDREN - these are the misconceptions with mothers and parents in general; please if your child develops fever / Diarrhoea within this time, please take the child to the hospital for proper assessment and care .....
I should also add, children are prone to becoming ill more around this same time frame (at about 6-7 months), because of some changes that occur in their biological makeup (that is a discussion for another day), but please it not a consequent of teething as it a physiologic (natural )process...

care /management....

just as was earlier stated, teething in children is usually very mild, and in most cases, treatments are not required.... but in those very rare cases where the symptoms becomes very inconveniencing and children becomes restless... then some of this could be implored.

* gentle rubbing over the affected chick, or gum (with ur CLEAN hands), many children could also find biting a cool and clean object soothing....
*in those severe cases of pain , pain killers like paracetamol or NSAIDs (e.g ibuprofen) could also be implored
*teething gels - teething gels (e.g bonjela )are antiseptic gels, that contain some local anaesthetic, they could be applied to cause relieve....

Thank you.....

https://raymedicalworld./

I choose to post this here, because I have witnessed cases, where the ignorance of mothers caused them to lose their baby, following the child developing fever, and diarrhoea, and the mother was foolishly dissuaded from going to the hospital by neighbours as she was told it was teething and would resolve, unfortunately the resolution was the death that followed, and she finally rushed down to the clinic when the child was breathing her last.....

2 Likes

Re: Teething In Children, What You Should Know ..... by Nobody: 7:48am On Feb 14, 2015
embarassedTt
Re: Teething In Children, What You Should Know ..... by GalaxyBlends(f): 8:17am On Feb 14, 2015
Thanks OP.
Re: Teething In Children, What You Should Know ..... by Nobody: 8:30am On Feb 14, 2015
GalaxyBlends:
Thanks OP.
u welcome....
Re: Teething In Children, What You Should Know ..... by Nobody: 11:06am On Feb 14, 2015
Aii, aii, sire

1 Like

Re: Teething In Children, What You Should Know ..... by ayufun: 6:20am On May 21, 2017
Everything about teething is covered here >> http://www.healthriskfood.com/2016/12/baby-teething-signs-and-remedies.html from myths, facts, symptoms and remedies

(1) (Reply)

Teaching Your Wife How To Drive! / Is It Right For A Wife And Mother To Work? / My Mom's Elder Sister Is Threathening To Throw My Family Out Of Her House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.