Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,107 members, 7,910,006 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 05:10 PM

FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification (21182 Views)

Degree As Minimum Teaching Qualification. - FG / Education Stakeholders Divided Over Minimum Teaching Qualification / FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by Nobody: 11:53am On Feb 20, 2015
This is the best news have heard on education in a long time. Kids don't need half baked teachers teaching them. #Amaproudteacher.
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by yaksm(m): 11:54am On Feb 20, 2015
well gud but, long process. advantage 2 sme but disadvantage 2 odas
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by kingjohnny(m): 11:55am On Feb 20, 2015
we are moving to that in the future
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by Nobody: 12:23pm On Feb 20, 2015
Am sure this shekarau cousin of shekau dey craze!!!!!
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by wordcat(m): 12:23pm On Feb 20, 2015
No educational System will rise above the quality of its teachers

And

No Nation will rise above the quality of its Educational system.

Nigeria is a very good example, a country where the leaders are approving Life pension for themselves while they can't pass any Bill that will favour a common man like PIB.

Is that not a lack of Quality and Qualitative Education?
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by Tekzyflex(m): 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2015
Since teaching is a profession, government should endeavour to increase teachers salary jst like other professional jobs.
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by andass(m): 12:42pm On Feb 20, 2015
but SSCE or even its equivalent is minimum to be a president, gov, senator etc. greedy politicians wit their needless policy
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by Nobody: 1:00pm On Feb 20, 2015
[quote author=Akbee post=30901947][/quote]
Good one for degree holders who majored in education but not good for NCE holders. Where will NCE holders work now? That is a question begging for an answer.
I'm a fervid supporter of education reform in Nigeria but I don't support the idea of ruining people's career. NCE is a three to four-year course depending on the mode of education. So it is not justified to sweep such efforts under the carpet.
I would like NCE holders to be in charge of primary schools. B.Ed holders to be in charge of secondary schools and even college of education. M.Ed holders should be in college of education also and polytechnic. The rest should be in universities. This is my conjecture
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by Originalsly: 1:01pm On Feb 20, 2015
Why the fuss?.....if the Finnish guy said that about the Finnish educational system must he remain silent?...,,he had to say something to show that the FG is on that same path and also serious about giving quality education.
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by Bluffly: 1:06pm On Feb 20, 2015
[quote author=Akbee post=30901947][/quote]

This is a good development, but it yet does not guarantee quality Education because of the crop of graduates Nigerian Universities turn out. Secondly, its likely they won't be commensurably compensated. A lot needs to be done in addition.

Meanwhile, Reading University visits Abuja on 18th March 2015 for those that are interested in studying in the UK for their First Degree and Masters degree. Call 08058356774 to indicate your interest.
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by slap1(m): 1:15pm On Feb 20, 2015
Omexonomy:
Will that make a better teacher? What about those people who never attended class rather block/bribe thier way till they graduate?
Teaching is a practical field. Such people will be embarrassed in due time.
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by realmindz: 1:15pm On Feb 20, 2015
graduates teaching primary schools, is that not an under-utilisation of skilled labour.

when many other necessary sectors of the economy are being controlled by riff raffs.

nigeria jst like copy and paste.....the countries he's comparing nigeria to have well qualified professionals handling the other major sectors.
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by slap1(m): 1:18pm On Feb 20, 2015
NCE should be the minimum. Are our colleges of education going to be closed down or 'upgraded '? NCE holders nko? Do you just render them jobless overnight?
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by slap1(m): 1:19pm On Feb 20, 2015
realmindz:
graduates teaching primary schools, is that not an under-utilisation of skilled labour.

when the necessary parts of the economy are being controlled by rift rafts
Valid point. NCE holders should at least teach at the primary school level.
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by utytill(m): 1:20pm On Feb 20, 2015
And person wan be president without waec.
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by SKORROR(m): 1:22pm On Feb 20, 2015
Thank you sir..... but why this time after all you dented the dreams of some Nigerian students years ago
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by Eluwilussit(m): 1:30pm On Feb 20, 2015
Degree is minimum for teachers and FSLC or WASC for presidency and all political positions. Lol. In the legend's voice: wonder wonder wonder wonder, wonder wonder wonder wonder, you go turn to wanderer! IDIOTS.
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by bbjummy: 1:36pm On Feb 20, 2015
Just take action that's all
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by tartar9(m): 2:07pm On Feb 20, 2015
and later get 10 thaaasand as salary.God forbid!
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by Kunle106(m): 2:20pm On Feb 20, 2015
The NCE should be left to teach the primary school, what will be the faith of NCE holders who are in service and those in training..
Better still the government shd increase the standard of living for the teachers.
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by jurist21(m): 2:54pm On Feb 20, 2015
To Me Personally I Find this Step a very brilliant step in the Roadmap to the Advancement of our educational section, it takes the highest level of commitment, unbreakable resistance, and unstoppable dedication to make a first class, although our institutions had so long violated this code of conduct, as they seek to celebrAte failure, in as much as there are advantages to this proposal I still think there are lapse, in an institution that rates success base on some many other factors, I believe this won't be the best, I had a 2.2 lecturer in my ND but he was far better than D PHD holders, I think teaching is a calling, and not everyone is gifted, in a population of over 6000 convocating only bare 20 makes First class, if this idea scales through, Nigeria will be short of Manpower in the Teaching sector as it will do more harm than Good. Nice one all through
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by Mars88(m): 2:57pm On Feb 20, 2015
They should raise the bar for admission into B,ed programes and not make them the runt of the litter by transfering folks who couldn't meet cut-offs for other courses to the faculties of Education.
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by bedfordng(m): 3:50pm On Feb 20, 2015
hope it would improve the educational sector
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by Nobody: 4:07pm On Feb 20, 2015
Thank you very much thou I'll still add that not up to 50% of NCE holders are qualified to teach just as not up to 70% of degree holders except those who passed through NCE,can teach.
It is not just about the knowledge but the attitude towards teaching. In NCE we don't just give the knowledge but skills,attitude and qualities that will make one a good teacher. Remember NCE graduates are meant to teach only in the pre-primary and primary schools and that's a very sensitive stage where the pupils require proper handling and care....thou you still find some intelligent ones especially guys who read Biology,Mathematics,Physics,Chemistry and some social science courses doing better in secondary school during teaching practice than the so called University student teachers..
I think the standard of Colleges of Education should be upgraded,strictly for teachers,those who have the passion to teach and the entrance qualification should be same as that of the university not giving admission to a block head who can't write his name or speak English. With just two credit and all the P's and F9's in WAEC and NECO sorry to say majority are northerners and how they get the admission and keep passing even when you the lecturer knows he had series of carryover,only God knows. Catch them with exhibit under their hijab during exam and try to tell her to raise it up,the boys will gather and scream 'haram' and before you know it,the Muslim lecturers who were invigilating in that same hall will disappear leaving you there,looking stupid in the midst of students who are ready to beat you up and those are the same people we send out as teachers. May God help us.

Yomieluv:
If minimum qualification is Bsc,then what's the purpose of a college of education?

Qualification doesn't guarantee quality teaching,but the zeal,and commitment to work..

Teaching is an aptitude,if you don't have it,you can't fake it.
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by GboyegaD(m): 5:21pm On Feb 20, 2015
Another misplaced priority. What then will be the use of NCE?
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by persius555(m): 9:20pm On Feb 20, 2015
Some days ago, i was pleading to school leavers to take a shot at enroling for jamb polytechnics since university admission is hard to come by these days. They simply didnt buy the idea as they replied me saying polytechnic education is a waste of time and resources. This policy has corrobated the youths decision not to enrol for polytechnic or NCE education as they are neither ready to play second fiddle,misplaced priority by our govt knows no boundary. God save this country.
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by markbutcher: 10:17pm On Feb 20, 2015
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by DukeNija(m): 12:51pm On Apr 09, 2015
damimola:
The Nigerian education ministry need to seat down and re-evaluate our educational system,make necessary adjustment before they take steps with no consideration.Most countries have a practical based B.ed program for all education courses and you cant just wake up one day and say you want to start teaching.We have universities,universities of Education and college of education all issuing different degrees.What becomes of NCE,Bsc holders. I believe it is simple, we don't believe in the degrees or graduates we produce. A situation where there are less B.ed graduate in the education sector compare to the B.sc etc or more Banking and finance graduates outside the bank or not employed by the banks.
We should get it right,first we should stop duplicating degrees and programmes in higher institutions,then the studies should be more practical than theoretical and every other thing taken seriously.

Hello Dami, my young brother got an invite from a company called Lorache consulting for a sales job. I did a nairaland search and found a thread where you commented that you attended their interview. So I need your honest opinion, what do you personally think of them? And why did you have a problem with them taking the first 20% of your salary. Thanks. Pls reply Asap
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by damimola(m): 8:43am On Apr 11, 2015
DukeNija:

Hello Dami, my young brother got an invite from a company called Lorache consulting for a sales job. I did a nairaland search and found a thread where you commented that you attended their interview. So I need your honest opinion, what do you personally think of them? And why did you have a problem with them taking the first 20% of your salary. Thanks. Pls reply Asap

Hi bro,
I think lorache may be good for someone with no work experience.my problem was not with the 20% but what they offer was less for my experience and what i was earning then.Also two of the job offers were a one man business which is against my expectation of a big coy or conglomerate.
Let your bro give it a trial if he is not presently working.atleast he would make some experience from it
Re: FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification by DukeNija(m): 1:37pm On Apr 11, 2015
damimola:

Hi bro,
I think lorache may be good for someone with no work experience.my problem was not with the 20% but what they offer was less for my experience and what i was earning then.Also two of the job offers were a one man business which is against my expectation of a big coy or conglomerate.
Let your bro give it a trial if he is not presently working.atleast he would make some experience from it

Thanks man

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"It’s Islamic" – Kwara Cleric Justifies Brutalisation Of Arabic Students / Study And Earn With SIIT Corporate Training / 22-Year Old Earns First Class, Wins Six Prizes In Law School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.