Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,990 members, 7,873,186 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:29 AM

Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University (31702 Views)

University Of Nigeria, Nsukka Student Shot Dead (Photo) / Nigerian Man Bags First Class In Engineering From London University. Photos / Have U Cried Because Of This Before? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Bayswater: 1:09pm On Mar 04, 2015
lovat:
look at my tenant that has not pay his Nepa bill making noise online. Don't come back house today without your Nepa bill or else I ll give you that quit notice I've typed out for you.

Really?
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Jasperwhizz(m): 1:09pm On Mar 04, 2015
Kola4uniadgog:
by Chibuike Ugwuoke

As a youngster, I had a dream to study abroad but the truth is, dreams are luxuries that can only be accessed when there is money.

My name is Chibuike Ugwuoke was born and bred in Enugu State twenty-something years ago to a very modest family. Even though I wouldn’t say we were poor because we had neighbours that prayed to live in our condition, I knew schooling abroad was reaching for the stars. We simply couldn’t afford it.

I gained admission to study Computer Science at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 2007 and by God’s grace, graduated in 2011 with First Class Honours. It was a challenging experience but helped me become the man I am today.

Last year, I left Nigeria for the first time – to begin my Masters of Science (MSc) program in Information Security at the University College, London (UCL). It wasn’t because my parents had become overnight millionaires but because I was one of two hundred and five (205) graduate students to benefit from the PRESSID (Presidential Scholarship Scheme for Innovation and Development) awardees in 2014.

A senior lecturer at the university informed me about it but I felt it was one of those 419 wayo-wayo scholarship schemes that has become a norm in Universities. Besides, I did not expect the final selection process to be credible. In previous regimes, such things are only awarded to people who are related to a prominent person in the government. Somehow I decided to try my luck and apply but even when I was going for the final test phase in Abuja, a part of me felt I was wasting my time.

I’m here in London, but neither the cold nor the fact that I am again the class representative as I was throughout my undergraduate days has made me fully believe that I am not in dreamland.

Hardwork, determination and resilience helped me graduate with first class honours from the university. My classmates who fondly nicknamed me ‘Modulus’ and other schoolmates I met form part of my network of friends today, as do some of my lecturers. There is no point in criticizing the academic structure of most tertiary institutions in Nigeria because the more we complain and point fingers, the more time we give for the system to decay. Personally, I have decided to be part of the needed change and will become a lecturer when I return.

It is imperative to note that this would not have been possible without God and the Goodluck Jonathan administration that initiated this scheme in 2012. I cannot thank you enough, Mr. President especially for lifting a burden from my parents’ shoulders and for fulfilling the dream of a nobody.

When I was notified that I had gotten the scholarship, the first thing I did was to call my elderly mother and tell her. She cried on the phone and I cried along with her. There are few things in this world that beat the tears of joy of a happy woman. Thank you, Mr. President.

http://newswirengr.com/2015/03/03/she-cried-on-the-phone-i-cried-along-with-her-chibuike-ugwuoke-writes-from-london-university/
THANK GOD!!! CONGRATS BRO! I DREAM THIS I KNOW GOD WOULD HELP ME TO FULFIL IT IJN AMEN

3 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Lushka(m): 1:10pm On Mar 04, 2015
Smartresult:
An msc holder in information security from University college london on nairaland. Kai this is a scam. It is part of the tactics used by pdp to deceive nigerians.
If not why will a govt. That send uni 6month strike and poly to 11month strike will boast of improving the education sector.
There is something fishy.

Goats reared in Jigawa get sense pass u. Anyone can post comment even with chinko fone.

2 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by kingthreat(m): 1:10pm On Mar 04, 2015
hamilton62:

Why are some Nigerians like you ungrateful and envious without limits...? You first learn from a master before seeking independence, China did it, Indians too, the Koreans, the Malaysians.
Having these guys come back to in turn invest into our education and civilisation with their acquire knowledge will do this for mine and your children.
Please, be grateful I beg you!
What do you think if the previous governments did things like this, by now we, our education would have been better because quality lecturers ask for state of the art laboratories and apparatus or machines with conducive learning environment.
Thanks and God bless you!
Viva Nigeria!!

Stop talking foolishly. Nigeria is a country of 180million people. You give presidential scholarship to just 200. How does that make Nigeria better? How will just 200 people better Nigeria. But if 20,000 benefit quality education in Nigeria like it ia abroad, won't it make more impact?

If this makes no sense to you, then your reasoning is to the likes of Patience Jonathan. So don't quote me again.
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by kingthreat(m): 1:12pm On Mar 04, 2015
lovat:
every country has scholarship for sending their students to study abroad. I don't think your comment is relevant here

Just 200 people on scholarship and that is a great achievement? Sorry, you don't know what good leadership is.

1 Like

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Bayswater: 1:13pm On Mar 04, 2015
olapluto:
Nigerians have been getting scholarship to study in the UK long before GEJ came on. PTDF sends many many graduates (I think 5 per state) yearly. Kini Big deal?

But he did this in addition to PTDF.

Are you even talking about PTDF scholarship that only the sons and daughters of the highly connected get?

For the first time in a long while, scholarships were awarded transparently without 'the man know man' abracadabra and you say we should not give GEJ kudos for this?
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by amakenny: 1:13pm On Mar 04, 2015
felifeli:
[size=18pt]Nairaland is full of school dropouts and third class graduates busy telling the world that Nigeria is a failure. You are wrong. Work hard and like this guy the sky may not even limit you instead of using 5k chinko phone to abuse GEJ and all your other imaginary enemies everyday. O su mi o.[/size]

I read some APcheats abusing one person who said that the House of Representative is part of the federal government. APCheats told the person to go back to school, called him/her ignoramus, rained all sorts of insults on the fellow; they said that the House of Representatives was not part of the federal government, and that the House was an independent body.

They were protecting APC House Speaker Tambuwa who warned the federal government to be careful on how it treats the Jega matter.

2 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by scholarosisi(f): 1:14pm On Mar 04, 2015
pendy79:

Trust me I will sponsor every soul in your lineage a 2 year sponsorship to any university in the world if they so wish it.

Tell your father to apply too, education has no time limit. Modafucker.

Send pm to me if you need more modality on how to apply.
the rant of a poor man that is all I see. If u can afford 3 square meal comfortable u will not boast like this. I don't like people like u

2 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by kingthreat(m): 1:14pm On Mar 04, 2015
ceejayluv:

Rewarding excellence ain't no crime . more universities have been built but "they" say its nothing... These guys going to world class universities are mandated to return and lecture in our federal institutions and transfer the knowledge here... Let's criticise constructively.

Lol universities that produce illiterate graduates like your first lady. Mandated indeed. Will you dictate their lives?
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by chrisoge1(m): 1:15pm On Mar 04, 2015
Am happy for you
GEJ fowardever

2 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Bayswater: 1:16pm On Mar 04, 2015
scholarosisi:
the rant of a poor man that is all I see. If u can afford 3 square meal comfortable u will not boast like this. I don't like people like u

You dey mind the Osogbo rat? Dude once claimed he owns a ship lol
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by AK481(m): 1:20pm On Mar 04, 2015
Smartresult:
An msc holder in information security from University college london on nairaland. Kai this is a scam. It is part of the tactics used by pdp to deceive nigerians.
If not why will a govt. That send uni 6month strike and poly to 11month strike will boast of improving the education sector.

idiot it s not A SCAM,I KNOW HIM VERY MUCH.HE WAS THE CLASS REP OF COMP.SCI ,A FRIEND TO ONE EUCHARIA AMADI.

check this pics,the guys coloured are those i know personally.like i said i wont reveal my identity there.MODULUS CHIBUIKE IS @ THE FAR RIGHT BACK.

GEJ IS WORKING LETS GIVE HIM ANOTHER 4 MORE YEARS AND WATCH NIGERIA TURN TO SINGAPORE.

1 Like

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by AONO: 1:20pm On Mar 04, 2015
pendy79:

Trust me I will sponsor every soul in your lineage a 2 year sponsorship to any university in the world if they so wish it.

Tell your father to apply too, education has no time limit. Modafucker.

Send pm to me if you need more modality on how to apply.
Pleas I want to apply for scholarship to study abroad I will be glad if u can give me more details or help me with it. Thanks in anticipation for your candid help

3 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 04, 2015
dustydee:
Previous governments sent hundreds on scholarships ( I am one of them) and they didn't make noise about it. While I commend the initiative, lets not blow it out of proportion, we should instead concentrate on what effect it has had on our educational system.
If brother A doesn't give his testimony in church,.should that stop sister B from giving her 'less fancied' testimony? "and they overcame him by the testimony of their mouth "

3 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Arysexy(m): 1:23pm On Mar 04, 2015
So touchy.

GEJ u have my vote no matter what

2 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by ceejayluv(m): 1:26pm On Mar 04, 2015
kingthreat:

Lol universities that produce illiterate graduates like your first lady. Mandated indeed. Will you dictate their lives?
Same universities that produced the like of Fashola that you're currently licking their "progressive" putrid butt$...
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by lovat(m): 1:27pm On Mar 04, 2015
AONO:

Pleas I want to apply for scholarship to study abroad I will be glad if u can give me more details or help me with it. Thanks in anticipation for your candid help
pend79 is my tenant, don't allow him to scam you he has not paid his NEPA bill for 2months now.
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Bayswater: 1:27pm On Mar 04, 2015
AONO:

The 419 will ask you to pay for application form first lol

My bro, flee from all appearances of 'one chance', you have been warned. Lol
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by itetemi: 1:29pm On Mar 04, 2015
sponsored post.

what about those that applied for the immigration scam
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by OXLANDOWN: 1:29pm On Mar 04, 2015
Thank you Mr President
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by itetemi: 1:30pm On Mar 04, 2015
Kola4uniadgog:
by Chibuike Ugwuoke

As a youngster, I had a dream to study abroad but the truth is, dreams are luxuries that can only be accessed when there is money.

My name is Chibuike Ugwuoke was born and bred in Enugu State twenty-something years ago to a very modest family. Even though I wouldn’t say we were poor because we had neighbours that prayed to live in our condition, I knew schooling abroad was reaching for the stars. We simply couldn’t afford it.

I gained admission to study Computer Science at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 2007 and by God’s grace, graduated in 2011 with First Class Honours. It was a challenging experience but helped me become the man I am today.

Last year, I left Nigeria for the first time – to begin my Masters of Science (MSc) program in Information Security at the University College, London (UCL). It wasn’t because my parents had become overnight millionaires but because I was one of two hundred and five (205) graduate students to benefit from the PRESSID (Presidential Scholarship Scheme for Innovation and Development) awardees in 2014.

A senior lecturer at the university informed me about it but I felt it was one of those 419 wayo-wayo scholarship schemes that has become a norm in Universities. Besides, I did not expect the final selection process to be credible. In previous regimes, such things are only awarded to people who are related to a prominent person in the government. Somehow I decided to try my luck and apply but even when I was going for the final test phase in Abuja, a part of me felt I was wasting my time.

I’m here in London, but neither the cold nor the fact that I am again the class representative as I was throughout my undergraduate days has made me fully believe that I am not in dreamland.

Hardwork, determination and resilience helped me graduate with first class honours from the university. My classmates who fondly nicknamed me ‘Modulus’ and other schoolmates I met form part of my network of friends today, as do some of my lecturers. There is no point in criticizing the academic structure of most tertiary institutions in Nigeria because the more we complain and point fingers, the more time we give for the system to decay. Personally, I have decided to be part of the needed change and will become a lecturer when I return.

It is imperative to note that this would not have been possible without God and the Goodluck Jonathan administration that initiated this scheme in 2012. I cannot thank you enough, Mr. President especially for lifting a burden from my parents’ shoulders and for fulfilling the dream of a nobody.

When I was notified that I had gotten the scholarship, the first thing I did was to call my elderly mother and tell her. She cried on the phone and I cried along with her. There are few things in this world that beat the tears of joy of a happy woman. Thank you, Mr. President.

http://newswirengr.com/2015/03/03/she-cried-on-the-phone-i-cried-along-with-her-chibuike-ugwuoke-writes-from-london-university/

sponsored post.

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by lovat(m): 1:31pm On Mar 04, 2015
kingthreat:

*e dey pain u gan gan* 98% of NLanders including seun osewa are products of nigeria tertiary institutions so Suck your ass MINOR

2 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by lovat(m): 1:32pm On Mar 04, 2015
itetemi:

sponsored post.

kindly go back to Auto section and continue to talk about how to wash Car. numbskull
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by AK481(m): 1:32pm On Mar 04, 2015
agabaI23:
It is one of the scams of GEJ's administration
Rubbish! How much did they pay you to write this?

Just mere money you have sold away your future
A clueless president like GEJ cannot do this kind of thing

FireFire,Obiagelli, ellechrystal,

GEJ, this scam must not stop

PICTURES DONT LIE,MODULUS IS MARKED AT THE FAR RIGHT BACK

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by itetemi: 1:33pm On Mar 04, 2015
lovat:
kindly go back to Auto section and continue to talk about how to wash Car. numbskull

u dey cry..................pele, take handkerchief ooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by ceejayluv(m): 1:33pm On Mar 04, 2015
AK481:

idiot it s not A SCAM,I KNOW HIM VERY MUCH.HE WAS THE CLASS REP OF COMP.SCI ,A FRIEND TO ONE EUCHARIA AMADI.

check this pics,the guys coloured are those i know personally.like i said i wont reveal my identity there.

GEJ IS WORKING LETS GIVE HIM ANOTHER 4 MORE YEARS AND WATCH NIGERIA TURN TO SINGAPORE.
No mind the ode... Thinks everyone on NL is his fellow lowlife..
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Nobody: 1:34pm On Mar 04, 2015
Praise the 'good' deeds and condemn the 'bad' ones... Jonathan did a great job on this so called scholarship scheme. Even when it was almost hijacked from it being a merit based award to a zonal ish, he took his stand on it... I want it as a merit based award!

#Not viewing this from a political point of view but as a Nigerian who wants the best for all Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by 2muchopoTBdope(m): 1:36pm On Mar 04, 2015
Kngrats bro,lucky U or rather favour U. The last picture reminds of the famous NSLT,I read dere too Buh I didn't graduate with first class sha,lol. DAT building has been brought down.I wish U all the best. Just finished from dere.
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by phlamesG: 1:38pm On Mar 04, 2015
Ogbuefienubiaka:

if it is bad it is GEJ that cause but when it is for good then it is GOD. your are displaying your stupidity everyday.
is dis 1 insane? what do u knw about me dnt quote me again o! angry
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by stanisbaratheon: 1:40pm On Mar 04, 2015
Kola4uniadgog:
I have decided to be part of the needed change and will become a lecturer when I return.

this alone has made me believe there's still hope for this country. More ink to your pen OP.

1 Like

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by tolutweety(m): 1:41pm On Mar 04, 2015
I know the dude.
I met modulus during my service year in calabar, and we both worked at the information desk in camp.
The guy was a real talent n this news doesn't come as a surprise.

@modulus.good one! Sail on friend..

3 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by ekolina(m): 1:49pm On Mar 04, 2015
Stop saying what you don't known. Six of ma mates in school are in various universities in the UK and American studying for Msc and Phd all due to Presside
Smartresult:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FUNAAB Student Hospitalised After A ₦5k Bet To Drink A Bottle Of Gin (photos) / Olusegun Kayode Bello: "My Rejoinder To The Nigerian Law School's Statement" / Both Real & Fake 2023 UTME Top Scores Are From Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.