Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,014 members, 7,876,803 topics. Date: Monday, 01 July 2024 at 07:14 AM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (1128) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3088664 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1125) (1126) (1127) (1128) (1129) (1130) (1131) ... (2205) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 2:04pm On Apr 12, 2020
BlackBaron:

OMG
Who be this, So destroying a technical with an AA gun that'll otherwise kill and maim valuable officers and soldiers needed on the battlefield 'doesn't make sense'?. How about the many hundreds of thousands/millions (dollars) invested in training, courses abroad, field experience that would be snuffed out if one technical isn't stopped or destroyed?

Guy, be honest, who do you work for?

You have a superficial view and not one with any depth. Your question depicts your limitations. As a result i take no offence. It's not your fault,l will explain.

The core subject is best value and most effective use of scarce resources and most cost effective alternative solutions.

A Chinese HJ-12 ATGM will cost us at least $35k per unit could be up to $75k. We may be the first export customer for this weapons system and l hope we got it on the cheap.
If you retrofit a RWS and or upgrade the turret on our S. African Marauder with FLIR, target acquisition soft Ware, lazer pointing system, etc. How much will it cost? Procuring independent component from multiple sources. They already have HGM 20-30mm. My guess putting it all together per unit less than $35k.

RWS has multiple alternative uses, comms with air assets and lazer pointing targets, takin out enemy troops and can be used time and time over and over for the next 10/15 years.

In addition you develop your Iocal capacity and can retrofit all your MRAP's, APC, LAV, and even have them as part of defence for NA bases with high elevation.

You can only use the ATGM once. How many are we prepared to buy and how many do we need.

With the RWS that means target acquisition range 4km at least, which would mean 100% hit rate at 1.5 km.

How many rounds to finish off a rusty run down Boko pick up gun truck negligible, costs very minimal to negligible.

I expected our Engineers should be able to this it's not that difficult. I liken it being similar in principle to building your own desk top PC with multiple component sources as we used to do before laptops became so cheap.

I am thinking long term STRATEGIC with the underpinning quest for best value and most effective use of resources.

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidex111: 2:28pm On Apr 12, 2020

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by phazotron(m): 2:46pm On Apr 12, 2020
Texman21:
I think u should be the one to understand what u wrote.Afghanistan is part of middle east(greater middle east).

Afghanistan isn't Middle east. They're not even Arabs. Afghanistan as well as the other stans are in central Asia.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by phazotron(m): 2:47pm On Apr 12, 2020
ugo4u:
I saw a video on twitter today showing the COAS leading operations in the NE(that's what it was tagged) mere looking at the convoy, the type of vehicles used(Hilux)and the way they were advancing my heart was just beating. Many things went through my mind, it's very easy to lay ambush on our troops walai! Just one land mine/ IED will wreck havoc. I don't know why I am just irritated seeing those Innoson pickup/Toyota Hilux as our primary patrol vehicles, our guys are just too exposed, and genuinely feel for them putting into Cognizance the fact that just one bullet within the kill zone of the body is enough. I still insist we if possible sign a bond with Proforce for continuous production of Mraps infact we can help them expand production line by giving them necessary support (loans) same for NA's Ezugwu Mraps, if Innoson can manufacture APCs/Mraps they too should be given massive contracts, we need to relegate the Hilux for transport of logistics in other part of the country that are peaceful not a hot zone like NE.

This among others Is why we keep losing soldiers.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Texman21: 2:52pm On Apr 12, 2020
phazotron:

Afghanistan isn't Middle east. They're not even Arabs. Afghanistan as well as the other stans are in central Asia.

1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by phazotron(m): 3:03pm On Apr 12, 2020
komekn:

What does it take to CO-ORDINATE a mission it requires 100% connectivity of all combatants to ensure command and control.

Coordination of air assets to ground targets after being painted with lazer for precision strikes is what gives you overriding advantage.

What do you notice about modern armies every combatant is linked in.That gives complete spatial awareness and the ability engagements to be directed and positioned for the best advantage. Making it possible for a unit of 12/15 men to engage 100 create confusion and overcome them.

Are all our combatants linked in with individual comms for control and command, NO.

How much will it cost to do that and effectively increase efficiency by near 100%

This is what gave the us the upper hand against Taliban in Afghanistan.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by phazotron(m): 3:07pm On Apr 12, 2020
komekn:

For me the A-29 Super Tucano is a poor marketing strategy for a plane that has limited functionality but is being presented as a game changer to gullible unimportant 3rd world nations that are not considered strategic to USA interests.

The term COIN is one of these buzz word used in contemporary times to address the issues of counter-insurgency strategy in war against insurgency. It means everything but nothing specifically its ambiguous and fluid. As a consequence how do you measure its success

So when somebody carries a megaphone and says it is the best aircraft for fighting COIN in the world what does that mean what is the unit of measurement, historical deployment, battle records, delivery impact , etc, etc. In actual fact it means NOTHING, its just noise.

But the USA have said so, then it must be true according to a few. If somebody says that the food in his Mums restaurant is the best in the city, but he never eats there, Eeeeee get as he be wink wink wink Will you believe him.

Lets look at Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan and ask to what percentage of USA aircraft deployed over the past 5,7,10 years in these atypical COIN war settings were the A-29 Super Tucano. If you look at the % US flight hours for this the best COIN attack aircraft in the world across all locations the US has been engaged in COIN, how many flight hours has the A-29 Super Tucano in combat So how do you underpin the efficacy of an an attack aircraft without an experiential historical base line to make a deduction from. By presumption and or imagination.

Second observation, the USA has allies and partners, number 1 is probably UK or Israel, and NATO in the Middle east its Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Turkey, Iraq, Qatar, Pakistan, Morocco, Jordan all these countries are having issues with insurgency some to greater extent than others. They are either major partner or minor partners with the USA. Africa i really cant see a major strategic partner, or please correct me.

Now considering the relationship of these major partners and or minor partners and the need for COIN attack aircraft, how many of them have procured the A-29 Super Tucano in their inventory of their air forces The answer is a very loud resounding NONE not even ONE, I wonder why

So how did anybody conclude this A-29 Super Tucano is the "Creme de la creme of COIN attack fighter aircraft " This to me is an elaborate marketing ploy given to insignificant and inconsequential poor third world associates not partners.

Using a Yahoo boy term please correct me if i get it wrong, "Guy man chop, Moogo fall"

There is nothing to compare, one is battle tested proven, reliable, rugged ,resilient, bigger payload (triple the A29) and established with stupendous survival under fire, well over four decades, and can even run on poor grade fuel including petrol doesn't need complicated ground control avionics to get airborne.

They are two totally different aircraft so its a failed comparison.

But the crucial issue is we need aircraft in the NE, RIGHT NOW like yesterday not in 4 years time.

If I had $100 million, we could have 12 Sukhoi Su-25 within two week operational and 24 in 4/5 weeks all turning Boko to dust, that would be a complete game changer.

IMO not just my opinion, I know this war is very political and the fifth columnist are not in the rank and file of Nigerian armed forces but somewhere way higher up.

my two pennies , NUFF SAID

Yes, We could do so much better than the tucano.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by SamuelAnyawu(m): 3:09pm On Apr 12, 2020
BORNO STATE
MONGUNO LGA
12 APRIL 2020

Information received from sources revealed that BH - ISWAP were seen gathering at Jumma Kuwon Village, which borders between Mafa and Monguno LGA.
Their likely intention is to attack military and civilian targets at Gajiganna or Monguno.

Tho I doubt if ISWAP will dare Monguno.

Gajiram and Gajiganna Military should be on red alert cool

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by QuietMynd: 3:27pm On Apr 12, 2020
komekn:

I am sorely disappointed, you have been a contributor here for a very long time.

My approach was methodological and substantive and quite specific, but you have not addressed one question or observation i made, you have just EVADED.

Its your choice.

You even go on to make future projections but founded on nothing, let me burst your future projections.

THE FUTURE in the Middle east is UAV that can give special forces Over-watch with 48 hour endurance and still deliver precision ordinances. Not the outdated A29, not even one USA Middle east partner has procured it. That should tell you something.
Wat , u jst call tucano outdated

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by rka2: 3:27pm On Apr 12, 2020
As this Chad nonsense won't stop, I would like to point out that no other country would have survived BH/ISWAP in West Africa and environs the way Nigeria has without outside help. Where would Chad, Mali, Niger, Burkina-Faso etc. be without France & the US? Probably safe havens for jihadists.

Nigeria is where the insurgency started and the country has been fighting on multiple fronts for years. Chad was saved by the French Airforce when rebels where advancing from the North not too long ago.

BH has been attacking Nigeria from Chad as well and running back to their islands for years, but Chad did nothing. They can afford to carry out one operation to clear their islands but they are not like Nigeria that has to continually fight, as I have said, from multiple fronts. Even when Chad came into Nigeria in that 2014 period onwards, they were there for a specific mission before returning to Chad. NA would have been superstars if all they had to do from time to time is assist another country for a specific raid and then return to Nigeria.

There are many people on this forum who believe they know better than people who have been fighting for years and know the limitations that exist.

For many years Nigerians were complaining we don't make military hardware and criticised what was bought. The country decided to invest in its defence industry to start producing MRAPS etc. Next thing it is, we are not buying what we need from Russia etc or not buying second hand stuff from whatever country even though in the past, it has been a disaster without any maintenance agreements or spare parts.

Now the country in buying from China government to government through an open tendering process and the narrative changes to we are not buying the right equipment. As if you know better than the people that need the equipment and requested for it.

I tire for una. I have never seen a country that hates its military the way some Nigerians do. The closest I have come to seeing this is with the Scottish Nationalists. When will people learn that the national interest is above what political party you support, religion you follow, tribe you come from etc. I know some people won't agree with this because they think things will be different if every state or local government is a country. You forget that they will also be occupied by the same people, ex Nigerians.

There are things that are wrong, yes, but do you think joining the narrative to paint your country in a bad light will further whatever cause you think you have.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by rka2: 3:29pm On Apr 12, 2020
QuietMynd:

Don't even bother. This is from someone, if my memory serves me right, said he was an ex British Para.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidex111: 3:53pm On Apr 12, 2020
QuietMynd:

The matter weak me.... lipsrsealed
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by kabe1: 4:16pm On Apr 12, 2020
QuietMynd:

As Komken continues to pass his usual misinformation, here attached is an aircraft similar in role US allies in the middle-east operate.

This Air Tractor although inferior in capabilities to the A-29 Super Tucano, is used by UAE and Egypt.

Also remember US special forces are going to get 76 units of Super Tucano.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 12, 2020
Toju200:
all our drones are active and still used for combat..
The three JF17 is first batch we are acquiring 25-40 of it I'll provide u Link
We bought 5 UCAV
We are developing our own combat drone the Ichoku UAV
We are also considering acquiring MIG and yak 130 I'll still provide link.
Don't say what u don't know
which of the MIG's?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 4:43pm On Apr 12, 2020
BabaOwen:
which of the MIG's?
it wasn't stated that's what is keeping me in suspense..
The defense minister just said Nigeria may acquire THE MIG,Yak130 and artillery from Russia..
That was around 2018
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 4:45pm On Apr 12, 2020
BabaOwen:
which of the MIG's?
here is the link
Nigeria to buy Russian MiG, Yak- 130 fighters, artillery equipment ...
https://nationalaccordnewspaper.com › ni...
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 4:51pm On Apr 12, 2020
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidex111: 4:54pm On Apr 12, 2020
Toju200:
here is the link
Nigeria to buy Russian MiG, Yak- 130 fighters, artillery equipment ...
https://nationalaccordnewspaper.com › ni...

https://www.independent.ng/nigeria-to-buy-russian-mig-yak-130-fighters-artillery-equipment/
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Sizzorkay: 5:00pm On Apr 12, 2020
grin grin grin
Hope you aren't falling for that lol. Trump? ha, you know what the West does best? They patronize you to your face while trashing you behind closed doors. What expertise.
The article is full of history but short on current reality, and that reality is, too many errors and setbacks in the North East
Toju200:
Here is something for y'all to read: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/04/x-raying-nigerian-armys-unmatched-record-in-counter-terrorism/
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 5:10pm On Apr 12, 2020
Sizzorkay:
grin grin grin
Hope you aren't falling for that lol. Trump? ha, you know what the West does best? They patronize you to your face while trashing you behind closed doors. What expertise.
The article is full of history but short on current reality, and that reality is, too many errors and setbacks in the North East
yeah I know say u go confront me grin grin
I wan find trouble
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Sizzorkay: 5:18pm On Apr 12, 2020
Haha, you be my guy bro, no hard feelings here. Your enthusiasm on here is impressive, I'm on your side grin grin
It's just painful how much our soldiers have been let down by the higher ups, it's upsetting.
Toju200:
yeah I know say u go confront me grin grin
I wan find trouble

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 5:23pm On Apr 12, 2020
QuietMynd:

It's pertinent to keep my comments in context.

The context was "Future projected" aircraft that will dominate in near future. I was contending the view given by Bidexiii that the A29 is the future of COIN.

I gave a projection where future UAV will dominate with 40 hr coverage, to do over watch and other mission support duties for ground troops.

I was totally wrong in my futuristic assumptions.

That future is already here and exceeded .
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by rka2: 5:44pm On Apr 12, 2020
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 6:02pm On Apr 12, 2020
Sizzorkay:
Haha, you be my guy bro, no hard feelings here. Your enthusiasm on here is impressive, I'm on your side grin grin
It's just painful how much our soldiers have been let down by the higher ups, it's upsetting.
True talk bro
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:27pm On Apr 12, 2020
Toju200:
the russkies with their Sukhois are they winning in Syria..
ISIS destroyed three yesterday in Syria I'm case u don't know
Are you saying the Russians and Syrians are losing in Syria or is a draw match between Russians/Syrians versus IS/rebels/USA/Turkey grin

You must be a joker grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 6:36pm On Apr 12, 2020
BabaOwen:
Are you saying the Russians and Syrians are losing in Syria or is a draw match between Russians/Syrians versus IS/rebels/USA/Turkey grin

You must be a joker grin
grin grin the truth is the war against Insurgents Don turn another thing
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 6:38pm On Apr 12, 2020
bidex111:

Sorry your approach is far from been methodological. It’s not my choice, the Super Tucano is the best COIN air assets we’ve got in the world . Soon in the Middle East the tucanos will take of the skies.
Now kindly give me just two drones you know that would stay in the air for over 24hours and with payloads to carry out precision strikes, you just show you don’t know what you’re talking about.
If there is any future, it’s with the Super Tucano which can carry out ISR missions of over 10 hours and variety of payload of precision strikes which the drones can’t carry.
Dude don’t be disappointed in me cause am human, you’ll disappointed yourself already with your comments.

I apologise in giving you misleading information.

Particularly in the context of " The future of COIN aircraft is the A29" which you claimed is the way forward.

My assertion was that the future for COIN is going to be UAV's that can give you 40 hour coverage and overwatch with ability to drop precision ordinances and smart weapons. I reiterate I said that's the future.

I was sorely wrong.

Because that assumption of future projection is already HERE

A quick look at a few defence resources and l was quite shocked at the speed of R%D that had now gone forward into production and actual deployment.

The one that shocked me the most was the UAE Adcom Systems, Yabhon United 40. The figures are 1000kg payload and 100 hours flytime with 26k ceiling, endurance that's crazy stupendous to me. Algerian airforce has two.

However, l don't think the UAE had the command and control infrastructural technology for long distance control. So it may be control within a 400-600km limit.

There are quite a few UAV's that carry huge payloads and exceed the 40 hr coverage. I've done two screenshot for your info.

What we don't know is how much they cost.

The now battle tested and proven Turkish Anka has a 24hr endurance and 500kg payload. Tunisia just signed a contract last month. For 6 Anka attack drones and 3 ground control stations which amounts to $240 million, the infrastructure for a ground control station will be millions. The UAV's were about $4 million each, but now battle tested and proven they can probably double that to $8-10 million.

The British Skyguardian has some very impressive attributes as well. 40 hour endurance but a shocking payload of near 2000kg of smart weapon and precision ordinances.

Your question ❓ prompted me to take a deeper look, thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 6:43pm On Apr 12, 2020
kabe1:

As Komken continues to pass his usual misinformation
, here attached is an aircraft similar in role US allies in the middle-east operate.

This Air Tractor although inferior in capabilities to the A-29 Super Tucano, is used by UAE and Egypt.

Also remember US special forces are going to get 76 units of Super Tucano.

Considering the bold, can you give specific clarity on the actual items of MISINFORMATION.

That way l can correct the errors and even apologise.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:44pm On Apr 12, 2020
jpphilips:

You are the only person that came close to understanding what the US went to do in Afghanistan, the rest were busy saying what they think, not uncommon here though.

US went to Afghanistan to degrade the Taliban, ensure their Alqaeda allies no longer have the capability to pull a hit on US soil after 9/11.
You can go back and listen to George bush address to the nation in 2001.

The last time I checked, that Objective was met with minimal casualties, one of the least in modern history, reason some keyboard warriors are struggling to pull out a better stats.

Haven met the primary Objective, there was global pressure to stabilize & rebuild Afghanistan, that gave birth to a secondary Objective which the likes of former US defense secretary Jim Mattis believe will not be achieved with the barrel.

It is irritating to read from comedians here that the US primary Objective wasn't met with overwhelming firepower.
Even the Taliban themselves have forgotten their terror projection agenda, they are now interested in local politics to control provinces & earn seats in Parliament, that's how useless they have become, thanks to the US "flawed strategy" according to some women here.

You're wrong about this.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:55pm On Apr 12, 2020
ugo4u:

Had it being I hadn't seen things myself prolly one would have believed the garbage you've being typing since.
Once again you're very very ignorant, any senior Airforce officer that was incharge of procurements reads these your post they'll not only be stunned at the confidence in ignorance but also you're knack for stupidity & puerility.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 7:53pm On Apr 12, 2020
komekn:

It's pertinent to keep my comments in context.

The context was "Future projected" aircraft that will dominate in near future. I was contending the view given by Bidexiii that the A29 is the future of COIN.

I gave a projection where future UAV will dominate with 40 hr coverage, to do over watch and other mission support duties for ground troops.

I was totally wrong in my futuristic assumptions.

That future is already here and exceeded .
How many countries live in this "future" you're talking of..

If you still compare a CAS plane (built from ground up with that in mind) to UAVs, I don't know what to say anymore. The US still uses its Fixed Wing fighters and Bombers for CAS —at exorbitant cost than UAVs.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 7:55pm On Apr 12, 2020
komekn:

I apologise in giving you misleading information.

Particularly in the context of " The future of COIN aircraft is the A29" which you claimed is the way forward.

My assertion was that the future for COIN is going to be UAV's that can give you 40 hour coverage and overwatch with ability to drop precision ordinances and smart weapons. I reiterate I said that's the future.

I was sorely wrong.

Because that assumption of future projection is already HERE

A quick look at a few defence resources and l was quite shocked at the speed of R%D that had now gone forward into production and actual deployment.

The one that shocked me the most was the UAE Adcom Systems, Yabhon United 40. The figures are 1000kg payload and 100 hours flytime with 26k ceiling, endurance that's crazy stupendous to me. Algerian airforce has two.

However, l don't think the UAE had the command and control infrastructural technology for long distance control. So it may be control within a 400-600km limit.

There are quite a few UAV's that carry huge payloads and exceed the 40 hr coverage. I've done two screenshot for your info.

What we don't know is how much they cost.

The now battle tested and proven Turkish Anka has a 24hr endurance and 500kg payload. Tunisia just signed a contract last month. For 6 Anka attack drones and 3 ground control stations which amounts to $240 million, the infrastructure for a ground control station will be millions. The UAV's were about $4 million each, but now battle tested and proven they can probably double that to $8-10 million.

The British Skyguardian has some very impressive attributes as well. 40 hour endurance but a shocking payload of near 2000kg of smart weapon and precision ordinances.

Your question ❓ prompted me to take a deeper look, thank you.

You're reading producer's manual and regurgitating here. Anyone can do that.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1125) (1126) (1127) (1128) (1129) (1130) (1131) ... (2205) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.