Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,634 members, 7,901,951 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 06:10 PM

Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? (5572 Views)

Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? / Are Ijaws Related To Igbos ? / Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by earTHMama: 7:43am On Jan 27, 2009
Some relatives of hers speak igbo. Her only brother met his wife in Nigeria. Could she be Nigerian?

For well over two centuries, the United States has been vastly more diverse than its ruling families. Now the Obama family has flipped that around, with a Technicolor cast that looks almost nothing like their overwhelmingly white, overwhelmingly Protestant predecessors in the role. [size=14pt]The family that produced Barack and Michelle Obama is black and white and Asian, Christian, Muslim and Jewish. They speak English; Indonesian; French; Cantonese; German; Hebrew; African languages including Swahili, Luo and Igbo;[/size] and even a few phrases of Gullah, the Creole dialect of the South Carolina Lowcountry. Very few are wealthy, and some — like Sarah Obama, the stepgrandmother who only recently got electricity and running water in her metal-roofed shack — are quite poor.

“Our family is new in terms of the White House, but I don’t think it’s new in terms of the country,” Maya Soetoro-Ng, the president’s younger half-sister, said last week. “I don’t think the White House has always reflected the textures and flavors of this country.”

The families also share a kind of adventurous self-determination. In the standard telling, the Obama side is the one that bent the rules of geography and ethnicity. Yet the first lady’s family, the supposed South Side traditionalists, includes several members who literally or figuratively ventured far from home. Nomenee Robinson was an early participant in the Peace Corps, serving in India for two years; later, he moved to Nigeria, where he met his wife; the couple now live in Chicago. Capers Funnye Jr., a cousin of Mrs. Obama’s and a rabbi, was brought up in the black church, he said, but as a young man, he felt a calling to Judaism he could not ignore

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/us/politics/21family.html?pagewanted=all
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by earTHMama: 7:47am On Jan 27, 2009
Lol, is that why she has hairs all over her body? j/k
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by egheleghe(m): 8:44am On Jan 27, 2009
FUNNY ENOUGH I DID NOT SEE YORUBA THERE.but that does not mean there isnt trace of it in that family.The bolded part is not aimed at yorubas but becomerich.he claims to see everything via satelite including that michelle obama is yoruba.
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by Laurnetta(f): 10:14am On Jan 27, 2009
You all fucking wish!
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by Jarus(m): 10:21am On Jan 27, 2009
I also read this in THISDAY two days ago, and wondered who in the Obama family is connected to Igbo.
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by Jarus(m): 10:23am On Jan 27, 2009
egheleghe:

FUNNY ENOUGH I DID NOT SEE YORUBA THERE.but that does not mean there isnt trace of it in that family.The bolded part is not aimed at yorubas but becomerich.he claims to see everything via satelite including that michelle obama is yoruba.
ROFLMAO grin grin grin You people won't kill me ooo
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by ikeyman00(m): 11:38am On Jan 27, 2009
zulu lady

nigeria cant be touch by your whitey-south! carry style de look for someone we go bazuka u! hmmm not lookin bad at all

brainless zulus mind me the nigerian, be royal as a servant to your white oga!
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by toluwalomo(m): 12:41pm On Jan 27, 2009
Hmmmmm, una don start.

I thought L.L. Cool J was the igbo boy? grin
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by semid4lyfe(m): 1:49pm On Jan 27, 2009
earTHMama:

Whether she has hairs all over her body or not,Obama loves her and she's his 1st lady and America's 1st lady.Stop hating,jare.
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by temi4rea(f): 4:03pm On Jan 27, 2009
earTHMama:

cheesy cheesy

semid4lyfe:

Whether she has hairs all over her body or not,Obama loves her and she's his 1st lady and America's 1st lady.Stop hating,jare.

Whats hating here,it doesnt sound hating atall.

Just funny u knw.
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by osisi2(f): 4:17pm On Jan 27, 2009
earTHMama:

LOL
She's a typical Ekiti girl
Can't you see her bow legs grin
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by earTHMama: 4:22pm On Jan 27, 2009

LOL
She's a typical Ekiti girl
Can't you see her bow legs
But Karmamod has no bow legs.
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by earTHMama: 4:42pm On Jan 27, 2009
You all fucking wish!
Whats your own, mrs mandela?
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by bindex(m): 4:58pm On Jan 27, 2009
Nigerians and jumping guns. Why do we love claiming that which isnt ours?
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by NegroNtns(m): 5:03pm On Jan 27, 2009
But Karmamod has no bow legs

Im about to bow them! grin
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by osisi2(f): 5:04pm On Jan 27, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Im about to bow them! grin

ROFL!
let her catch you grin
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by NegroNtns(m): 5:09pm On Jan 27, 2009
lmao! Osisi, you know her well. She has no sense, just cutting everyone with that razor tongue! grin
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by MrCrackles(m): 5:13pm On Jan 27, 2009
TOPIC
Yeah she is Biafran!!
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by earTHMama: 5:45pm On Jan 27, 2009
Im about to bow them!
How, are you a pedophile? Her bones are still young and brittle. Oh, I forgot you are from the tribe of Ishmael. kiss kiss kiss
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by ikeyman00(m): 5:56pm On Jan 27, 2009
hahah
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by NegroNtns(m): 6:47pm On Jan 27, 2009
How, are you a pedophile? Her bones are still young and brittle. Oh, I forgot you are from the tribe of Ishmael.

Oh Lord! . . .here comes Mrs Huckleberry Finn! What tribe are you from?
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by earTHMama: 6:48pm On Jan 27, 2009
Oh Lord! . . .here comes Mrs Huckleberry Finn! What tribe are you from?
Tribe of Judah. tongue
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by oziomatv(m): 6:55pm On Jan 27, 2009
earTHMama:

Tribe of Judah. tongue
Ma quale Tribe of Judah, she's one of the decendants of Jezeebel. that's why she hates men,
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by earTHMama: 6:57pm On Jan 27, 2009
Ma quale Tribe of Judah, she's one of the decendants of Jezeebel. that's why she hates men,
I don't hate men, I only set the evil ones straight. Jeez.
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by spikedcylinder: 7:04pm On Jan 27, 2009
Really?
She looks Efik to me o, like she would like eating fish a lot. I bet she smells like fish. tongue grin
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by earTHMama: 7:12pm On Jan 27, 2009
Really?
She looks Efik to me o, like she would like eating fish a lot. I bet she smells like fish
Abeg, Efik women are not that ugly and masculine. grin grin
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by spikedcylinder: 7:19pm On Jan 27, 2009
LOL!

How can Michelle be masculine with all that hips?
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by earTHMama: 7:22pm On Jan 27, 2009
LOL!

How can Michelle be masculine with all that hips?
She may be padding up besides, some men like NegroNations have big hips. Check out her biceps na. kiss kiss
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by earTHMama: 9:22pm On Jan 27, 2009

Hmmmmm, una don start.

I thought L.L. Cool J was the igbo boy?
Roflmao grin grin
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by KB1(m): 10:18pm On Jan 27, 2009
Being that nearly 60% of the AA slave descendant population is of whole and or of significantly large proportion Igbo descent-- it is very possible that she may be of some significant amount of Igbo descent. I'll tell you one thing though, her mother looks very Igbo and she herself has some very distinguishable comparisons about her.
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by 4Play(m): 10:22pm On Jan 27, 2009
@Earthmama

The way you start threads on NL, is it a cry for help?

My prayer this year is that you find a husband to keep you busy . . . . . . . Olabowale has signaled offline that he's willing to consider you as his wife.
Re: Is Michelle Obama Related To Igbos? by tope2000(f): 10:27pm On Jan 27, 2009
Hmmmmm, una don start.

I thought L.L. Cool J was the igbo boy?

grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Eshu.....Esu......Yeshu......Yesu....Jesu...Jesus.......who Is This Person? / Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Rulers / Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.