Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,379 members, 7,881,355 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 05:37 PM

Hausa As Petroleum Minister! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausa As Petroleum Minister! (5656 Views)

Buhari Inaugurated By Obasanjo As Petroleum Minister In 1976 (Pic) / Buhari To Appoint Self As Petroleum Minister - PM News/Reuters / Buhari Busted! Waec/cambridge Did Not Offer Hausa As Subject In 1961 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jan 28, 2009
Gayigaskia:

@ earthmama

while u were running your mouth, the north has produced the richest black man on earth ur mama. the north has always ruled nigeria because they are wiser and they will continue doing so forever. Remember The Sultan Usman Dan Fodio was going to control the rest of the country to civilized you people when the oyinbo came.

Statistics show you people are a step or two below civilization.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by earTHMama: 6:13pm On Jan 28, 2009
Jarus:

The fierce tribal war that appeared to have been laid to rest on NL for some time now has been exhumed again.

Funmi, who are you referring to here? Sounds like me or Sisijinx? Can you be more precise? Just curious pls
I wouldn't call my baby boy a broad, will I?. The foolish woman knows herself.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Jarus(m): 6:18pm On Jan 28, 2009
earTHMama:

I wouldn't call my[b] baby boy[/b] a broad, will I?.
Funmi, emi l'omo e? Egbon e ni mo je o grin
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by earTHMama: 6:20pm On Jan 28, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Una no dey taya for this Biafra tory?. The future is what is at stake in Nigeria now and not the past. To those that think the power in Nigeria will remain in the north forever, let me borrow a leaf from Barrack Obama's speech which says:
[size=14pt]
"What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer apply. The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works — whether it helps families find jobs at a decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified.[/size] Where the answer is yes, we intend to move forward. Where the answer is no, programs will end. And those of us who manage the public's dollars will be held to account — to spend wisely, reform bad habits, and do our business in the light of day — because only then can we restore the vital trust between a people and their government."

I clap over and over again.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 28, 2009
Jarus

U re a great man. To have Hot Funmi call you her baby boy no be moin moin achievement.

Funmi

Obj dey get pass hard on. If u doubt it, ask chics close to Ota farm. BTW, am sure he is much better than Mugabe, at least on bed.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by CrudeOil2(m): 6:40pm On Jan 28, 2009
Thats the way it is. A northerner as the GMD of NNPc is not a new scenario. When a yourba was the president, he appointed only yorubas to head the corporation. Now its the turn of the northerners, the northern president we have has now followed the prejudiced footsteps of his predecessor, by appointing only his kinsmen and to lead a corporation they are incapable of handling. Tribalism in this country is skin deep.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by SisiJinx: 7:11pm On Jan 28, 2009
earTHMama:

I wouldn't call my baby boy a broad, will I?. The foolish woman knows herself.

Awwwwww!! I love you too! kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

Don't worry, when we take over the world, I will make sure you don't lack anything good!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by debosky(m): 7:23pm On Jan 28, 2009
@ david

Jeb Bush is from Texas but became governor in Florida. . . .so your example about a Texan running Alaskan oil reserves is not really a good example.

Barkindo has been in the NNPC for a long time and has represented Nigeria externally as well. Surely he has some qualifications or competencies to
I can't say much regarding his competency, but I know from experience that the degrees listed cannot be a subsitute for work experience. His diploma from the College of Petroleum Studies is valid

The College of Petroleum and Energy Studies was founded in 1982 and soon established itself as a leading international centre providing training courses for professional and managerial staff working in the international oil, gas, petrochemical and energy industries. At the time of the merger in July 2000, CPS had trained 26,000 managers, engineers, economists and commercial staff from 3,300 organizations.

http://www.oxfordprinceton.com/who.asp

Regarding the minister, apart from being 'old', there is nothing else that can be held against him really. He is an accomplished process engineer, and has had real world experience running oil companies. He has clear ideas of how the NNPC needs to be reformed to position it as a viable oil company. I hope he gets the opportunity to actualise the plans he has.

If someone who has handled major projects in the NNPC for 23 years is 'incapable of running it' (including working on one of the few successful entities NLNG) I wonder who is capable?

Barkindo's resume

Until his new appointment, Barkindo, whose career in NNPC spanned more than 23 years, was the co-ordinator, Special Duties where he presided over major projects of the corporation.

Key positions, which have prepared Barkindo for his new post include:

* Immediate past Acting Secretary-General of OPEC - 2006, where he served with distinction and international acclaim. OPEC had already congratulated him on his appointment.

* Deputy Managing Director/Chief Executive, Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas.

* Managing Director/Chief Executive, Hyson/Calson, an international trading arm of NNPC.

* General Manager, NNPC London office.

* Head, International Trade, NNPC London office.

* Special Assistant to the Minister of Petroleum and Energy.

* Board member of several NNPC investment companies such as banks, oil service companies, international trading companies among others.

Barkindo served for a record 15 years on the OPEC Economic Commission Board as Nigeria's National Representative and in 2006 as Acting Secretary-General. Barkindo was chair, OPEC Economic Commission Board.

He also chaired the Strategic Production Quota Committee of OPEC.

Barkindo is an advocate of Climate Change Initiative and has led Nigeria's technical delegation to the climate change negotiations that produced:

* The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).

* The Kyoto Protocol to the UNFCCC during which he served on the bureau of the UNFCCC at various times.

Barkindo also served as the chairman of the OPEC Task Force on UNCSD 15 United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development, 15th session. He was elected Vice-President of the Conference of the Parties (COP 13) at the just concluded climate change talks in Bali-Indonesia, December 2007 and re-elected at COP14 in Poznan, Poland, December 2008.

Prior to his elevation to the office of co-ordinator, Barkindo was the most senior Group General Manager in the NNPC, a position he held for 10 years.

If that is unqualified, please show me someone who is. The only thing that could have 'influenced' his appointment is that he has worked with the current Petroleum Minister Lukman in OPEC. That aside, he is qualified by his experiences and achievements to run the company.

Crude Oil:

Thats the way it is. A northerner as the GMD of NNPc is not a new scenario. When a yourba was the president, he appointed only yorubas to head the corporation. Now its the turn of the northerners, the northern president we have has now followed the prejudiced footsteps of his predecessor, by appointing only his kinsmen and to lead a corporation they are incapable of handling. Tribalism in this country is skin deep.
Another falsehood - Gaius Obaseki (from the ND) was the GMD during OBJ's term. Kupolokun was from Ondo state, an oil producing state, so was also eligible on those grounds to be GMD of NNPC.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jan 28, 2009
debosky:

@ david

Jeb Bush is from Texas but became governor in Florida. . . .so your example about a Texan running Alaskan oil reserves is not really a good example.

I dont think you understood my point when i made the comparison. We do not run a political system quite like the US. you are perfectly eligible in the US to claim residency of another state if you have lived there continously for 1 yr. So as a Texan i can compete for Florida governor if i can prove residency for several yrs. In Nigeria it is absolutely NOT so. As an igbo man i wont get elected as governor of Kogi state.

Now while Jeb Bush's position is an elective one, the position of NNPC GMD is by appointment. Why would the governor of Texas appoint a non-resident of Texas as the commissioner for oil services in Texas?

debosky:

Barkindo has been in the NNPC for a long time and has represented Nigeria externally as well. Surely he has some qualifications or competencies to
I can't say much regarding his competency, but I know from experience that the degrees listed cannot be a subsitute for work experience. His diploma from the College of Petroleum Studies is valid

The College of Petroleum and Energy Studies was founded in 1982 and soon established itself as a leading international centre providing training courses for professional and managerial staff working in the international oil, gas, petrochemical and energy industries. At the time of the merger in July 2000, CPS had trained 26,000 managers, engineers, economists and commercial staff from 3,300 organizations.

http://www.oxfordprinceton.com/who.asp

I cant believe you will also regurgitate the same mischief without factchecking . . . just below the website you linked is this disclaimer - [size=13pt]The Oxford Princeton Programme, Inc. is not affiliated with Princeton University, Oxford University or Oxford University Press[/size]

Barkindo however claims he obtained his degree from Oxford University . . . where is this college?

debosky:

Regarding the minister, apart from being 'old', there is nothing else that can be held against him really. He is an accomplished process engineer, and has had real world experience running oil companies. He has clear ideas of how the NNPC needs to be reformed to position it as a viable oil company. I hope he gets the opportunity to actualise the plans he has.

No he is not. At best he is a political scientist.

debosky:

If someone who has handled major projects in the NNPC for 23 years is 'incapable of running it' (including working on one of the few successful entities NLNG) I wonder who is capable?

Barkindo's resume

Until his new appointment, Barkindo, whose career in NNPC spanned more than 23 years, was the co-ordinator, Special Duties where he presided over major projects of the corporation.

Key positions, which have prepared Barkindo for his new post include:

* Immediate past Acting Secretary-General of OPEC - 2006, where he served with distinction and international acclaim. OPEC had already congratulated him on his appointment.

* Deputy Managing Director/Chief Executive, Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas.

* Managing Director/Chief Executive, Hyson/Calson, an international trading arm of NNPC.

* General Manager, NNPC London office.

* Head, International Trade, NNPC London office.

* Special Assistant to the Minister of Petroleum and Energy.

* Board member of several NNPC investment companies such as banks, oil service companies, international trading companies among others.

Barkindo served for a record 15 years on the OPEC Economic Commission Board as Nigeria's National Representative and in 2006 as Acting Secretary-General. Barkindo was chair, OPEC Economic Commission Board.

He also chaired the Strategic Production Quota Committee of OPEC.

Barkindo is an advocate of Climate Change Initiative and has led Nigeria's technical delegation to the climate change negotiations that produced:

* The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).

* The Kyoto Protocol to the UNFCCC during which he served on the bureau of the UNFCCC at various times.

Barkindo also served as the chairman of the OPEC Task Force on UNCSD 15 United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development, 15th session. He was elected Vice-President of the Conference of the Parties (COP 13) at the just concluded climate change talks in Bali-Indonesia, December 2007 and re-elected at COP14 in Poznan, Poland, December 2008.

Prior to his elevation to the office of co-ordinator, Barkindo was the most senior Group General Manager in the NNPC, a position he held for 10 years.

All the above are not news . . . Barkindo is in NNPC based most likely on appointment by quota system. I worked in NPA before and i know how the Hausas there got in.

debosky:

If that is unqualified, please show me someone who is. The only thing that could have 'influenced' his appointment is that he has worked with the current Petroleum Minister Lukman in OPEC. That aside, he is qualified by his experiences and achievements to run the company.

Nigeria has tons of QUALIFIED chemical engineers working with Shell, Chevron or Mobil.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by debosky(m): 7:50pm On Jan 28, 2009
davidylan:

Now while Jeb Bush's position is an elective one, the position of NNPC GMD is by appointment. Why would the governor of Texas appoint a non-resident of Texas as the commissioner for oil services in Texas?

I cant believe you will also regurgitate the same mischief without factchecking . . . just below the website you linked is this disclaimer - [size=13pt]The Oxford Princeton Programme, Inc. is not affiliated with Princeton University, Oxford University or Oxford University Press[/size]

Barkindo however claims he obtained his degree from Oxford University . . . where is this college?

Your analogy is still incorrect - NNPC is a FEDERAL institution not a Niger Delta one, so a northerner has every right to be appointed, just like a southerner has.

I did check the 'mischief' as you call it, the source of the error might have been from the publishers of the story in The Guardian, not necessarily Barkindo making any false claims. Unless of course, you have access to Barkindo's personal CV on which he made the claim. In my opinion, it is less material whether it was Oxford University or a University IN Oxford. He studied for his diploma at an institution with 23 years history training oil and gas professionals.

davidylan:

No he is not. At best he is a political scientist.

I am talking about the MINISTER of Petroleum Rilwan Lukman, who IS a qualified process engineer (with a PhD from Imperial College), not the GMD. John Brown, the ex-CEO of BP was not an engineer, so the GMD doesn't necessarily need to be one either - it's ability to manage that counts.

davidylan:

All the above are not news . . . Barkindo is in NNPC based most likely on appointment by quota system. I worked in NPA before and i know how the Hausas there got in.

What proof do you have about this 'most likely' thing you mentioned? Does OPEC also work with Nigerian quota? Does the UNFCC also accept people based on quota? undecided

You may think it is 'most likely' but you have no evidence to show that it is so. If he had only worked within Nigeria, I might tend to agree with you, but he has international credibility as well, so I would likely consider him qualified.

davidylan:

Nigeria has tons of QUALIFIED chemical engineers working with Shell, Chevron or Mobil.
Must someone work in Shell, Chevron or Mobil before running the NNPC? Are you saying there are no qualified hands in the NNPC?
What high level managerial experience have these Nigerians in the companies mentioned had beyond what Barkindo as done? He has experience in all aspects of the business - Trading, Gas, Climate Change and in OPEC amongst others. He is very qualified to hold the position in my view.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:59pm On Jan 28, 2009
I believe that the Niger-Delta people should have a large/direct representation at the bargaining table.
The federal government has proven to be an inept custodian when dealing with the chaos in the region.

That withstanding I also believe that ANYONE living in the region should have a voice as long as they are Nigerian.
The problem with Nigeria is that we feel that indigine means something, it should be those that own the lands that should be invovled in the negotiations because they stand the most to lose.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Sagamite(m): 10:28pm On Jan 28, 2009
davidylan:
1. Ribadu and El-Rufai brilliant? On what basis?

2. Here is Barkindo's resume - B.Sc degree in Political Science in 1981 from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Post Graduate Diploma in Petroleum Economics in 1988 from College of Petroleum Studies, Oxford University, UK
- Masters degree in Business Administration from the South Eastern University, Washington DC.

a. There is no such "college of petroleum studies" at Oxford University.
b. SoutEastern University is strictly a christian college that goes as far as requiring your present church when you apply. How did Barkindo (possibly a muslim) attend there?
c. why will Barkindo leave Oxford University to do an MBA at SEU?

These are the rogues you claim as leaders? Is this the resume Jarus boldly told us to go and read? What a disgrace. No problem, they are dying one by one.

Chineke!

See Davidylan trying to claim my investigative journalism as his credit. He even used some of my words in a different way.

Ole!

Here is the thread I opened earlier on this:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-219132.0.html

Debosky, if the man no dey lie, how come he has not corrected it despite several local and international media houses have been stating that he is an Oxford Alumni?

The guy is an incompetent, underqualified liar when there are hundreds of Nigerians with better qualifications and brain to do the job!!!
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Sagamite(m): 10:47pm On Jan 28, 2009
debosky:

Must someone work in Shell, Chevron or Mobil before running the NNPC? Are you saying there are no qualified hands in the NNPC?
What high level managerial experience have these Nigerians in the companies mentioned had beyond what Barkindo as done? He has experience in all aspects of the business - Trading, Gas, Climate Change and in OPEC amongst others. He is very qualified to hold the position in my view.

Debosky,

Let me put it this way for you:

If you go to Shell, Chevron or Mobil, where people are tested rigorously for their competence before hiring, and take a census of their skilled Nigerian hires, less than 1% will be notherners. And the company excels in what they do using the local staff.

If you go to NNPC, where people are hired based on qouta system or 'who you know', and take a census of their skilled Nigerian hires, more than 60% will be notherners. And the company underperforms in what they do with the staff they have.

These ratios can even be applied across the rest of the Nigerian economy. Only 1% of the top managers in the top 40 Nigerian firms and International firms operating in Nigeria will be notherners. But 60% of juicy Federal positions will comprise of northerners. And it shows in the quality of work that is delivered respectively.

I am not a campaigner against Hausa/Fulani, but I am a blunt objectivity freak. The fact that we have over the years been giving hirely technical and complex jobs at the top echelon of public institutions to people who are one of the least qualified and educated for the role and even their qualification is based on a lower pass mark than the rest of the country is holding the country down.

We cannot keep on having people that have a HND from a poor, lower standard Polytechnic in the north, where the standard is even lowered further to ensure some pass, to be running important institutions when we have highly competent nationals doing miracles elsewhere.

You look at what Okonjo-Iweala did when she got to the finance ministry, can Ciroma even dream of that.

Lukman is hirely qualified and a very intelligent man. We need more like him, not the charlatans that lie about their qualifications when they qualified from a local community college in Oxford, which somehow metamophosed into Oxford University.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by concrete: 11:19pm On Jan 28, 2009
debosky: so now that university in Oxford has turned in Oxford university, his qualifications don't matter? or is it that he "may have been" misquoted? ok, so now it's print media's fault he lied through his teeth
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Gayigaskia(m): 12:19am On Jan 29, 2009
@davidylan

Statistics, show how immoral your people are and you just prove it by stealing someone else's comments here on this same topic grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Nobody: 12:22am On Jan 29, 2009
Sagamite:

Chineke!

See Davidylan trying to claim my investigative journalism as his credit. He even used some of my words in a different way.

Ole!

Here is the thread I opened earlier on this:

Debosky, if the man no dey lie, how come he has not corrected it despite several local and international media houses have been stating that he is an Oxford Alumni?

The guy is an incompetent, underqualified liar when there are hundreds of Nigerians with better qualifications and brain to do the job!!!

shocked shocked shocked O boy sorry o . . . no sir . . . i did my own independent investigation. I dont need Sagamite's words to form an opinion thank you. You shld have simply said no one noticed your thread instead of claiming that i stole your words . . . for example you said absolutely nothing about SEU . . . whose website (including that of OU) i personally went through to verify if indeed Barkindo could have schooled there.
One of the reasons i claimed Barkindo could not have studied at SEU is that it is strictly a christian school and Barkindo, a muslim, could not have enrolled without having to fill in the name of his local church (which is part of the requirements on the enrollment form).

So where exactly did i "use some of ur words in a different way"?
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by debosky(m): 12:27am On Jan 29, 2009
concrete:

debosky: so now that university in Oxford has turned in Oxford university, his qualifications don't matter? or is it that he "may have been" misquoted? ok, so now[b] it's print media's fault he lied through his teeth[/b]

How did he lie?    undecided

I am certain it was the NNPC that even sent him on the course, so please explain to me why he would lie about it   I haven't said he lied or didn't lie - the only source we have at the moment is a newspaper article and an entry on a website. With all due respect to the Guardian and the NNPC web person, the error could be theirs. That is simply what I am saying. IF you do see his CV and he insists it was Oxford University, then accuse away.

Sagamite:

Debosky,

Let me put it this way for you:

If you go to Shell, Chevron or Mobil, where people are tested rigorously for their competence before hiring, and take a census of their skilled Nigerian hires, less than 1% will be notherners. And the company excels in what they do using the local staff.

If you go to NNPC, where people are hired based on qouta system or 'who you know', and take a census of their skilled Nigerian hires, more than 60% will be notherners. And the company underperforms in what they do with the staff they have.

These ratios can even be applied across the rest of the Nigerian economy. Only 1% of the top managers in the top 40 Nigerian firms and International firms operating in Nigeria will be notherners. But 60% of juicy Federal positions will comprise of northerners. And it shows in the quality of work that is delivered respectively.

I am not a campaigner against Hausa/Fulani, but I am a blunt objectivity freak. The fact that we have over the years been giving hirely technical and complex jobs at the top echelon of public institutions to people who are one of the least qualified and educated for the role and even their qualification is based on a lower pass mark than the rest of the country is holding the country down.

We cannot keep on having people that have a HND from a poor, lower standard Polytechnic in the north, where the standard is even lowered further to ensure some pass, to be running important institutions when we have highly competent nationals doing miracles elsewhere.

You look at what Okonjo-Iweala did when she got to the finance ministry, can Ciroma even dream of that.

Lukman is hirely qualified and a very intelligent man. We need more like him, not the charlatans that lie about their qualifications when they qualified from a local community college in Oxford, which somehow metamophosed into Oxford University.
First of all y'all need to chill out on this 'lying about qualifications thing' - it started with no such college exists, now we all know it exists, and it has a clear disclaimer saying it isn't linked to Oxford U. Now like I asked David, if you have evidence of his CV, please expose where the 'lie' is.

Bola Ahmed Tinubu also had some 'inconsistency' with his University of Chicago/Chicago State University, but he worked with Mobil - one of your much vaunted multinationals. Does that now prove he didn't qualify? This could simply be an error, but you seem bent on making it out to be lying.

One more thing - Barkindo attended ABU - one of the best Universities in Nigeria at the time - even if it was political science. There is nothing substandard about that qualification, neither is there anything related to [i]'a northern HND holder' [/i]you alluded to.  Please be an 'objectivity freak' and stick to the discourse at hand - HND/poly comments have no role here.

Now on to your percentages and numbers - first of all, your 1% stats cannot hold much water, simply because most of these firms are southern based and will definitely have a preponderance of southern people in high positions.

Let's even say that the stats are true - does this take away from the ability/credibility of this ONE MAN Barkindo? What evidence do you have to paint him with a brush as the other Hausas you call incompetent? Did he have any major assignment or role that he failed at or did not deliver?

You have no evidence whatsoever that he cannot have reached his position by merit - all you have are other people's examples. He went to ABU and graduated - went to CPS, finished his course. I'm sure if I dig into the MBA school, he earned that as well, so what is the beef?

This sounds more about him being Northern than anything else. Not everyone in NNPC is incompetent or hired on 'who you know' basis. I know people who work there and are excellent, and are recognised as experts in their field. There might be a corporate culture problem there, but that in no way means Barkindo is not suited for the job. If he isn't then you can as well say no one in the NNPC is suited for the job.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Sagamite(m): 2:23am On Jan 29, 2009
debosky:

How did he lie?    undecided

I am certain it was the NNPC that even sent him on the course, so please explain to me why he would lie about it    I haven't said he lied or didn't lie - the only source we have at the moment is a newspaper article and an entry on a website. With all due respect to the Guardian and the NNPC web person, the error could be theirs. That is simply what I am saying. IF you do see his CV and he insists it was Oxford University, then accuse away.

The attendance of Oxford University is on the website of his institution and it has been in a lot of newspapers and petroleum sector publications. Just google his name + oxford.

Surely he must have seen it so he should be have corrected it. If he has not seen it, then that just adds weight to the argument he is not fit for the role as he obviously does not read papers.

Unfortunately I doubt we will ever see or have access to his CV as he is unlikely to have one since he has worked for the same institution for over 23 years, hence might never have needed one. So we can only go by what is on the company website.

debosky:

First of all y'all need to chill out on this 'lying about qualifications thing' - it started with no such college exists, now we all know it exists, and it has a clear disclaimer saying it isn't linked to Oxford U. Now like I asked David, if you have evidence of his CV, please expose where the 'lie' is.

You need to see my thread. I researched it and have never claimed that the college does not exist.

All I said was it was not part of Oxford university.

debosky:

Bola Ahmed Tinubu also had some 'inconsistency' with his University of Chicago/Chicago State University, but he worked with Mobil - one of your much vaunted multinationals. Does that now prove he didn't qualify? This could simply be an error, but you seem bent on making it out to be lying.

Bird of the same feather. Probably gave a fake certificate to Mobil. Omota!

debosky:

One more thing - Barkindo attended ABU - one of the best Universities in Nigeria at the time - even if it was political science. There is nothing substandard about that qualification, neither is there anything related to [i]'a northern HND holder' [/i]you alluded to.  Please be an 'objectivity freak' and stick to the discourse at hand - HND/poly comments have no role here.

My reference to HND holder was not specifically for him. It was a generic remark to the background of some of the top civil servants I have seen from the north. After the HND, the general trend is they take a teachers job or state inspector of something for 8 years then become Perm Sec of state ministry/MD of state initiative and then next national minister.

E.g. look at the CV of our Minister of State for Education.
http://nigeria.gov.ng/NR/rdonlyres/1767F719-E8E2-4D71-918B-40B8833A75C4/1020/MinofstateEduduku.pdf
What the hell is this individual going to contribute to the success of our ailing education system?

Another one:
http://nigeria.gov.ng/NR/rdonlyres/8B9D3F88-B2B6-4477-A3D2-F04D831DC552/1045/CURRICULUM_VITAE_MINISTER.pdf
This is a FEDERAL minister.  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Look at some others:
http://nigeria.gov.ng/NR/rdonlyres/609EF455-4E44-42C2-B934-7F356AFAB42D/1145/HMS__PROFILE.pdf
http://nigeria.gov.ng/NR/rdonlyres/3762A42F-0357-42E6-826B-339718252FBD/907/minofstatecommerce.pdf
http://nigeria.gov.ng/NR/rdonlyres/89D948CF-0161-467D-84C5-AA1754471F63/1105/HonOyegbenuProfile.pdf

This is more of what I want to see:
http://nigeria.gov.ng/NR/rdonlyres/E7EFA22C-64F6-40D8-BDBD-612EA8C2977F/1033/for_fct_minister.pdf
http://nigeria.gov.ng/NR/rdonlyres/3A409DD3-D5C8-4D4A-BE72-898FBC6FA747/1034/MinProfilefinanceUsman.pdf
http://nigeria.gov.ng/NR/rdonlyres/4714F1F8-7E9A-4E84-B716-B4DFE247B1D7/1081/NPCMinisterProfileDagash.pdf

If it was that we were seeing some excellent or even decent outcomes of the local schemes these people were head of in their states, then we can still say it is not that bad that their is some merit to the capability. All we see is Almajiris proliferation, destitution and women/girls repression, no development in the north.

debosky:

Now on to your percentages and numbers - first of all, your 1% stats cannot hold much water, simply because most of these firms are southern based and will definitely have a preponderance of southern people in high positions.

Does not carry weight. There are northerners in the south. Most are corporations are Lagos based but you see tons of Ibos, Deltans, Edos and even Middle-belt hired.

Even if you go to the ones based in the north, they have a larger proportion of southerners in senior and strategic roles.

It is all about qualifications and the north just do not have the best of that. The most qualified batch there are far inferior to the most qualified batch in any other part of Nigeria.

Even the world bank recently said northern Nigeria rated one of the lowest 3 in self development in the world, not in Nigeria but the World. I don't believe any other part of the south is in the lowest 30. So what right do those that run the north, in government and local initiative, have to lay claim of competence to run at a larger scale?

When I did Common Entrance, the cut off mark for my state was 536 out of 600, for Sokoto it was 130 out of 600. If anyone from Sokoto get 210 he will get the same benefit I got after scoring far above 536.

debosky:

Let's even say that the stats are true - does this take away from the ability/credibility of this ONE MAN Barkindo? What evidence do you have to paint him with a brush as the other Hausas you call incompetent? Did he have any major assignment or role that he failed at or did not deliver?

I am saying his background does not suggest he is a top talent of any form.

The only good school he went to was ABU, after that it was all down hill academically. Now he is the head of NNPC.

Are you telling me we don't have tons of Cambridge, Harvard, Oxford, Imperial, UCLA, MIT etc graduates of Engineering (or other tough and aligned subjects) from the 70s, who are currently gurus or academics, that can be a better fit. This lack of hiring based on competence and reputation was why Okonjo-Iweala of Harvard was excelling in World Bank, whilst her country was financially ruined. This is Nigeria for god sake, we have hundreds of people with qualifications and competence doing loads around the world. You google people like Bayo Ogunlesi. Now compare his CV to Madam Minister Bungudu of my hobby is reading the Quran and my contact address is the Emir of Bungudu's palace.

Of course we cannot have access to his performance. I doubt an institution like NNPC would even bother to keep records like that. But we know for sure that NNPC like other government institutions is a low performer.

debosky:

You have no evidence whatsoever that he cannot have reached his position by merit - all you have are other people's examples. He went to ABU and graduated - went to CPS, finished his course. I'm sure if I dig into the MBA school, he earned that as well, so what is the beef?

This sounds more about him being Northern than anything else. Not everyone in NNPC is incompetent or hired on 'who you know' basis. I know people who work there and are excellent, and are recognised as experts in their field. There might be a corporate culture problem there, but that in no way means Barkindo is not suited for the job. If he isn't then you can as well say no one in the NNPC is suited for the job.

I have no evidence, or access to evidence, does not mean my suspicion does not carry weight especially considering the Nigerian context and the little evidence on the ground.

I am 95% sure the man is not there on merit and is wilfully trying to gloss his qualifications with an Oxford University tag.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Ibime(m): 2:47am On Jan 29, 2009
Debo, no need to defend Barkindo. His CV is a blatant falsehood.

Whether or not that college exists isn't the issue.

In 2006, I had to help a friend from Naija find a Masters in Petroleum over here. I found that Imperial College and Robert Gordon are the only universities that offer postgrads in Petroleum studies and we eventually enrolled him with Imperial.

If Barkindo studied a postgrad in Petroleum Studies, it definitely wasn't with Oxford cos they do not offer postgrads in Petroleum. I checked.

The guy is a blatant liar and even if he has become 'competent' in his field, it doesn't excuse the lie he told to get there.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Nobody: 3:40am On Jan 29, 2009
nwa mama that Bungudu's CV wont get her a teaching job in this small town!  shocked grin

A 1 and half page CV for a federal minister? Nigeria is a serious joke! Imagine going for a job interview here and ur CV is only 3 pages, they'll kindly show you the door.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by bawomolo(m): 4:18am On Jan 29, 2009
davidylan:

nwa mama that Bungudu's CV wont get her a teaching job in this small town!  shocked grin

A 1 and half page CV for a federal minister? Nigeria is a serious joke! Imagine going for a job interview here and ur CV is only 3 pages, they'll kindly show you the door.

hobby - likes to read the quoran.

ROFLMAO borrowed from kobo
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Jarus(m): 9:34am On Jan 29, 2009

Man, there are now a considerable number of Hausa folk in Shell, Chevron etc.
We Southerners(oh sorry, I've forgotten I'm a northerner-Kwaran) are quick to generalize about Hausa people as bunch of stark illiterates, or at best schooled illiterates. That was my conception too until I met brilliant Hausa folk that can stand the best brains from the south, intellect for intellect.

My closest and best friend works in Shell and we both belong to an investment club largely made up of Shell staff. Majority of the club members are Hausa and I never believed there were Hausa folk that bright. Majority of them graduated from top universities in UK and US like Imperial, University of Manchester etc, some with First Class honours.

The moral of the foregoing is that Hausa folks are also making in-roads into areas many people still refer to as the exclusive preserve of Southerners
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Sagamite(m): 10:06am On Jan 29, 2009
Jarus:

Man, there are now a considerable number of Hausa folk in Shell, Chevron etc.
We Southerners(oh sorry, I've forgotten I'm a northerner-Kwaran) are quick to generalize about Hausa people as bunch of stark illiterates, or at best schooled illiterates. That was my conception too until I met brilliant Hausa folk that can stand the best brains from the south, intellect for intellect.

My closest and best friend works in Shell and we both belong to an investment club largely made up of Shell staff. Majority of the club members are Hausa and I never believed there were Hausa folk that bright. Majority of them graduated from top universities in UK and US like Imperial, University of Manchester etc, with First Class honours.

The moral of the foregoing is that Hausa folks are also making in-roads into areas many people still refer to as the exclusive preserve of Southerners

I never said the Hausas can not stand the best of brains from the south. I am sure Lukman, El Rufai and even Rubadu (and several others) can stand their ground intellectually to the best in the world, not only from the south. Only a slowpoke would think because he is a southerner, his blood or brain is better than a northerner.

What I am saying is that on aggregate they are less educated, and less well educated, but yet they are hirely employable in government institutions as leaders.

In regards to graduating from top universities, I am sorry those you met are exceptions. I went to a redbrick university in the UK where their is a small collection of black students e.g. in my course of 150 students only 4 of us were black. You can cascade this across other departments so in a school of roughly 12000 - 20000, you will probably have 300 to 500 black students overall.

Out of this 300 - 500 about 70% were Nigerians or of Nigerian origin. I was active in the Afro-Carribean society and I only new ONE Hausa student amongst us. The only other notherner was a southern Kaduna Xtian who will not regard himself as an Hausa.

All the other Elite universities I knew of and went to party in, or visit a girl for some weekends, hardly had any Hausas as well. I made it a point to ask the students as I am always curious, but they always told me they can not find any in their school

Most of the Hausa boys I have come across in my social circle in the UK live in rich and COMPLETELY exclusive apartments and areas. They all attend some lame private uni like Buckingham, Schiller or American University in London etc. They are from rich families and A LARGE PROPORTION are cocaine users, no hating just facts. They don't come here to struggle and as they are only human, some don't appreciate what they have.

If some are making inroads, fantastic, they have my support and I look forward to their contrbution in future. We want more of them.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Jarus(m): 10:24am On Jan 29, 2009
Good talk.
Most of the ones I'm talking about are truly from rich homes.
But don't forget that Shell is a merit-driven organization. This friend of mine that works there came from a poor background, but very brilliant. He worked hsi way into Shell.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by meexteriox(m): 10:25am On Jan 29, 2009
I don't have anything against an Hausa man being the petroleum minister.
My worry, is the rate at which the present Government is recycling old, spent force.
My question is, are there no other capable Nigerians, that can handle this jobs?
This man has been around for too long period, simple. Has the word generational
change escaped from Nigeria?
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Jarus(m): 10:26am On Jan 29, 2009
meexteriox:

I don't have anything against an Hausa man being the petroleum minister.
My worry, is the rate at which the present Government is recycling old, spent force.
My question is, are there no other capable Nigerians, that can handle this jobs?
This man has been around for too long period, simple. Has the word generational
change escaped from Nigeria?
Good talk. The recycling is where I have problem too.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by SisiJinx: 10:27am On Jan 29, 2009
So Poor Hausas are more educated than Rich Hausas, huh?
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by Jarus(m): 10:33am On Jan 29, 2009
Sisijinx, I'm learning hausa,let me attempt translating your signature into English:
THE RICH DOESN'T TALK MUCH or THE RICH IS TALKING

Am I correct?
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by SisiJinx: 11:04am On Jan 29, 2009
Close but no sale grin
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by sashbaby(f): 11:08am On Jan 29, 2009
may be poor hausas are more enlightened than rich ones you may say because they know the hard facts of life.not the rich ones who have been spoon fed all their lifes.
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by SisiJinx: 11:11am On Jan 29, 2009
Is this phenomenon only for Hausas or can it cut across time, space and even tribe? 
Re: Hausa As Petroleum Minister! by sashbaby(f): 11:20am On Jan 29, 2009
no grudge for the hausa folks but things dont really work under their dispensation. check out our sports ministry in shabbles not to talk of THE NIGERIAN FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari's Response To Dele Momodu: My Thoughts... / Close BBC Hausa Before Closing Radio Biafra- Naija Delta Youths Tell Buhari / Answer Me Or I Kill Director PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.