Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,422 members, 7,897,858 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 09:08 PM

Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? (2109 Views)

Why Women Of This Generation Are Not Submissive By Tosin Martins / What Does It Mean To Be A Submissive Wife. / I'm A Submissive Woman: What's Wrong With That? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by 4Play(m): 9:15pm On Jan 27, 2009
From a survey of pregnant Nigerian women:

On their view about domestic violence , (48.9%) felt it was excusable under certain
circumstance while  (14.6%) felt it is always excusable.
A total of (28%) of the respondents had experienced domestic violence against them in the index pregnancy or in previous pregnancies ;(36%) were beaten up, (22%) were forced to have sex, (20%) had objects thrown at them, (18%) were slapped, and (4%) were flogged. The culprits in the 50 women who experienced DV are shown in Table 3. The spouse was the commonest
culprit.

On their reaction if they experienced domestic violence against them ; (35.9%) would
keep it secret, (27.5%) would report to their family
,(15.7%) would report to the doctor, while others would report to the in-laws, police, clergy or tell a
close friend.

Read it and weep:https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bitstream/1807/4065/1/am04002.pdf
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by Sissy3(f): 12:25am On Jan 28, 2009
how can someone in their right mind lay their filty hands on a preg. woman lawd have mercy

DV is just one of those thing i cant tolorate in marriage
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by Nobody: 12:26am On Jan 28, 2009
Topic makes no iota of sense.

Poster should have explained how his topic heading correlates with the given statistics. . . .
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by osisi2(f): 12:28am On Jan 28, 2009
The study is from Zaria
sharialand
how won't those child brides,one wife out of 4 muzzled women locked up 24 hours behind a mud house take any nonsense
what choices do they have.
Are there any normal, well adjusted, mentally mature females that'll excuse domestic violence at any time talk less of excusing their scourgers in pregnancy.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by 4Play(m): 12:30am On Jan 28, 2009
HeatFusion:

Topic makes no iota of sense.Poster should have explained how his topic heading correlates to the given statistics. . . .

Correlation is easy to establish. . .  . where else will you find a study where 63.5% of the respondents, pregnant women, say the physical abuse meted on them is justified sometimes or always.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by 4Play(m): 12:33am On Jan 28, 2009
**osisi:

The study is from Zaria
sharialand
how won't those child brides,one wife out of 4 muzzled women locked up 24 hours behind a mud house take any nonsense
what choices do they have

The respondents were not mainly Hausa-Fulani(they might still be mainly Northerners though)and they were not all unlettered women.
Forty four percentwere of Hausa-Fulani extraction while the remaining
46% were other tribes. One Hundred and forty (79%)were educated up to secondary school level.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by SisiJinx: 12:34am On Jan 28, 2009
4 Play:

Correlation is easy to establish. . .  . where else will you find a study where 63.5% of the respondents, pregnant women, say the physical abuse meted on them is justified sometimes or always.

shocked shocked undecided undecided cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by osisi2(f): 12:34am On Jan 28, 2009
4 Play:

Biko it's not Nigerian women.
Change the topic to Islamic women in  northern Nigeria.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by Nobody: 12:36am On Jan 28, 2009
4 Play:

Correlation is easy to establish. . . . where else will you find a study where 63.5% of the respondents, pregnant women, say the physical abuse meted on them is justified sometimes or always.
Two things madly wrong with your thread:

1. Seems you're jovial with the fact that pregnant Nigerian women admit that getting bashed while a baby is growing inside their abdomen can sometimes be excused. Sickening!

2. You may not realize it, but pregnant women deal with chaotic hormones.
Like hello, they're out of their right mind!!!
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by osisi2(f): 12:38am On Jan 28, 2009
4 Play:

The respondents were not mainly Hausa-Fulani(they might still be mainly Northerners though)and they were not all unlettered women.

I said northerners.
if half are Hausa,the rest are the other minor tribes over there.
I'm not saying southern women are not abused by their husbands but believe me 63% will not tell you they deserved it.
Islam allows men to beat their wives so I guess good Muslim women have to agree that they deserved it ,afterall Allah knows best.
This is outrageous
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by 4Play(m): 12:39am On Jan 28, 2009
HeatFusion:

Two things madly wrong with your thread:

1. [b]Seems you're jovial [/b]with the fact that pregnant Nigerian women admit that getting bashed while a baby is growing inside their abdomen can sometimes be excused. Sickening!

Who is this blithering idiot?
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by SisiJinx: 12:41am On Jan 28, 2009
I guess the fact that women are being beaten takes second place to where they're from. undecided
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by 4Play(m): 12:42am On Jan 28, 2009
**osisi:

I said northerners.
if half are Hausa,the rest are the other minor tribes over there.
I'm not saying southern women are not abused by their husbands but believe me 63% will not tell you they deserved it.

63% may not say so but I won't be surprised the ''masochists'' amongst Southern Nigerian women will be somewhat high too.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by chika98: 12:43am On Jan 28, 2009
We all know that Naija women in Nigeria are more submissive compared to their female counterparts in the Western world. In Nigeria, if your husband cheats on you then
everyone will tell you to hang in there and that he's just doing what a man has always done and will continue to do; even they may say oh so long as he didn't bring her back to the house, he respects you. I doubt a lot of people in the western world will think that way.

Generally, Married women are submissive to an extent to their husbands, just that they wont come to the internet to tell you that they actually are.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by MrCrackles(m): 12:44am On Jan 28, 2009
4 Play:

grin
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by Nobody: 12:45am On Jan 28, 2009
4 Play:

Shh. . . .

Your topic says enough!
Like c'mon! The one and only 4Play, known for bashing naija women.
How could he not be happy with the naija women being satisfied with getting bashed?
What a evil thing.

LOLOLOL!! As to the topic, how many of these Nigerian women were surveyed and please specify the region.
Religion/ culture might be playing a role too.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by SisiJinx: 12:47am On Jan 28, 2009
Boys! Boys! Relax. . . no need for name calling or egging on with smileys.

Come now!! wink
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by MrCrackles(m): 12:47am On Jan 28, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

I guess the fact that women are being beaten takes second place to where they're from. undecided

Thank you!

Some other idiots dont have common sense on this forum, they lack it, it is so bad
! grin

So quick to attribute problems to culture and religion because of hatred, shiorr!
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by chika98: 12:49am On Jan 28, 2009
MrCrackles:

Thank you!

Some other idiots dont have common sense on this forum, they lack it, it is so bad
! grin
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]
S[b]o quick to attribute problems to culture and religion because of hatred, shiorr![[/b]/font]
Lmao!
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by SisiJinx: 12:51am On Jan 28, 2009
Ruby oda bi pe OP was been sarcastic pelu topic e. Mon hope wi pe no one in their right mind will think that kinda beating someone to a pulp submission is okay.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by MrCrackles(m): 12:52am On Jan 28, 2009
Chika how naw! cheesy
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by 4Play(m): 12:54am On Jan 28, 2009
@Sisi Jinx

Na Morenike be Heat Fusion?

My darling junior wife, na her I call idiot like this. Ruby, please forgive me o.  grin
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by MrCrackles(m): 12:55am On Jan 28, 2009
4 Play:

@Sisi Jinx

My darling junior wife, na her I call idiot like this. Ruby, please forgive me o.  grin

Chei see your life, 4play!! grin
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by chika98: 12:56am On Jan 28, 2009
MrCrackles:

Chika how naw! cheesy
I dey small. U nko?
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by Nobody: 12:56am On Jan 28, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Ruby oda bi pe OP was been sarcastic pelu topic e. Mon hope wi pe no one in their right mind will think that kinda beating someone to a pulp submission is okay.
I'm sorry, but when it comes to domestic violence, esp when it concerns women and unborn babies, jokes and sarcasm have no vacancy.

What else could make a married woman think it excusable for her husband to bash her and her unborn child? If not for chaotic hormones, then what?
Some women have been programmed to think that whenever their husband beat them, it's their (women)'s fault.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by debosky(m): 12:57am On Jan 28, 2009
4Play it's your scumtwat lover Jgirl. . . .definitely not Ruby.  tongue

This is more of a factual report than a lot of the noise we hear on nairaland - women need to do more to change their own mentalities before worrying about changing the menfolk.  sad
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by 4Play(m): 12:58am On Jan 28, 2009
MrCrackles:

Morenike na my sweetheart right from time, after I don strangle David finish, na marriage be the next thing on our agenda.  grin
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by Nobody: 12:58am On Jan 28, 2009
debosky:

4Play it's your scumtwat lover Jgirl. . . .definitely not Ruby. tongue
ejo ejo ejo, j-girl is still Moonstone. And please cease calling my amebo partner scumtwat
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by MrCrackles(m): 12:59am On Jan 28, 2009
chika98:

I dey small. U nko?
M easy like a Sunday Morn.
Doing my thing jare
!! cheesy
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by SisiJinx: 12:59am On Jan 28, 2009
4 Play:

@Sisi Jinx

Rotflmao!! Another downside to having many wives.

This your apology dey one kin oh. . . What happened to flowers, chocolate and grovelling??!!

MrCrackles:

Oh Brash! You obviously know nothing about TRUE LOVE!!!
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by spoilt(f): 1:00am On Jan 28, 2009
why would anyone flog a pregnant woman or throw an object at her? shocked shocked
LAWD have mercy!
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by MrCrackles(m): 1:01am On Jan 28, 2009
4 Play:

Morenike na my sweetheart right from time, after I don strangle David finish, na marriage be the next thing on our agenda.  grin

Huh! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
David must hear this!

Sisijinx
True love? cheesy
Tell me something!
!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Diety Called "Husband" By Toyin Fabs / Man Sues Wife For Giving Birth To Ugly Baby / Husband Catches Wife In Adultery Using Fake Facebook Name [pic]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.