Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,841 members, 7,930,918 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 11:48 AM

Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? (2120 Views)

Why Women Of This Generation Are Not Submissive By Tosin Martins / What Does It Mean To Be A Submissive Wife. / I'm A Submissive Woman: What's Wrong With That? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by MrCrackles(m): 1:02am On Jan 28, 2009
spoilt:

why would anyone flog a pregnant woman or throw an object at her? shocked shocked
LAWD have mercy!

It is barbaric isnt it
! angry
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by osisi2(f): 1:03am On Jan 28, 2009
spoilt:

why would anyone flog a pregnant woman or throw an object at her? shocked shocked
LAWD have mercy!

and then in a survey,the woman tells you she deserved it.
that's worse in my opinion.
I think the women are even more stupid than their abusers
I guess they've already been whipped into shape
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by chika98: 1:03am On Jan 28, 2009
MrCrackles:

M easy like a Sunday Morn.
Doing my thing jare
!! cheesy
Good for you! cheesy

spoilt:

why would anyone flog a pregnant woman or throw an object at her?  shocked shocked
LAWD have mercy!
Is this news?? I swear Nigerian mentality is so backwards
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by 4Play(m): 1:05am On Jan 28, 2009
spoilt:

why would anyone flog a pregnant woman or throw an object at her?  shocked shocked
LAWD have mercy!

Yes, 4% say they were flogged. I remember when we were in secondary school, one guy said his dad had a cane he uses for whipping his mother. He wasn't speaking metaphorically.

Sisi Jinx:

Oh Brash! You obviously know nothing about TRUE LOVE!!!

Leave am, make im dey jealous our mutual love. See as Morenike and I kiss and make up already?  grin
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by spoilt(f): 1:06am On Jan 28, 2009
Havent these women heard of arsenic? grin grin grin
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by osisi2(f): 1:07am On Jan 28, 2009
The main issue of the thread IMHO is why these individuals would say that they deserved these ill treatments
That is the main issue that ought to be addressed.
we already know some men act like wild animals
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by chika98: 1:08am On Jan 28, 2009
spoilt:

lmao!
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by 4Play(m): 1:08am On Jan 28, 2009
Apparently, in-laws are responsible for a quarter of the beatings.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by SisiJinx: 1:09am On Jan 28, 2009
HeatFusion:

I'm sorry, but when it comes to domestic violence, esp when it concerns women and unborn babies, jokes and sarcasm have no vacancy.

What else could make a married woman think it excusable for her husband to bash her and her unborn child? If not for chaotic hormones, then what?
Some women have been programmed to think that whenever their husband beat them, it's their (women)'s fault.

Sadly physical abuse not only leaves visible scars on the body, it also wrecks the psyche. You'd be surprised to know how many abused women (no matter how educated) sincerely believe they deserve to be beaten. It's their way of dealing with the fact that someone who claims to LOVE them takes pleasure in hurting them. This is why removing a woman from the abusive environment is just the beginning, intense Psychological treatment has to follow. . . unfortunately it is not available in Nigeria.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by chika98: 1:09am On Jan 28, 2009
4 Play:

Apparently, in-laws are responsible for a quarter of the beatings.
how so?
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by Nobody: 1:10am On Jan 28, 2009
**osisi:

The main issue of the thread in IMHO is why these would say that they deserved these ill treatments
That is the main issue that ought to be addressed.
we already know some men act like wild animals
exactly!! Maybe they were thought that their husband is always right, no matter what.

And 4Play, my question remains unanswered. How many of these pregnant women were surveyed and does the survey specified their region?
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by osisi2(f): 1:10am On Jan 28, 2009
spoilt:

afterall they are the ones cooking and serving the meals
there must be some barks of trees in Zaria that have strong otapiapia
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by Nobody: 1:15am On Jan 28, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Sadly physical abuse not only leaves visible scars on the body, it also wrecks the psyche. You'd be surprised to know how many abused women (no matter how educated) sincerely believe they deserve to be beaten. It's their way of dealing with the fact that someone who claims to LOVE them takes pleasure in hurting them. This is why removing a woman from the abusive environment is just the beginning, intense Psychological treatment has to follow. . . unfortunately it is not available in Nigeria.
1. LOLOL!!! Love, such nonsense. Do you think some of these women are in a polygamous family? Trying to console themselves that they did something wrong and that their husband still loves them?

2. It indeed is a sad thing when in Nigeria, even the parent of the woman finds it okay for their son-in-law to "teach" his wife for misbehaving. Just so he wouldn't send her packing, disgracing their family name.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by SisiJinx: 1:17am On Jan 28, 2009
There are abused White and Black women here in the US and UK who will tell you their abuse is their own doing. I made him angry, I spoke too loud, I put too much salt, I didn't get out of his way quickly enough. . . excuses after excuses for why their husbands gave them a black eye or broke their ribs and the last I checked, these women where not affiliated to a certain religion or group.

PHYSICAL ABUSE OF WOMEN IS NOT PECULIAR TO A CERTAIN TRIBE OR RELIGION and any attempt to make it so is just taking away from the real issue hand.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by SisiJinx: 1:20am On Jan 28, 2009
HeatFusion:

1. LOLOL!!! Love, such nonsense. Do you think some of these women are in a polygamous family? Trying to console themselves that they did something wrong and that their husband still loves them?

2. It indeed is a sad thing when in Nigeria, even the parent of the woman finds it okay for their son-in-law to "teach" his wife for misbehaving. Just so he wouldn't send her packing, disgracing their family name.

Very sad indeed and often times these women aren't from Polygamous homes.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by Nobody: 1:24am On Jan 28, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

There are abused White and Black women here in the US and UK who will tell you their abuse is their own doing. I made him angry, I spoke too loud, I put too much salt, I didn't get out of his way quickly enough. . . excuses after excuses for why their husbands gave them a black eye or broke their ribs and the last I checked, these women where not affiliated to a certain religion or group.

PHYSICAL ABUSE OF WOMEN IS NOT PECULIAR TO A CERTAIN TRIBE OR RELIGION and any attempt to make it so is just taking away from the real issue hand.
And as you see it, you think these women's common sense might be hindered by the four letter word *whispers* L.O.V.E. I agree, somewhat.

cheiiii, Ile aiye ti baje. Lol, must love be so painful. Then I guess, it indeed is blind embarassed cry cry
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by SisiJinx: 1:43am On Jan 28, 2009
Spouse abuse: Physician guidelines to identification, diagnosis, and management in the uniformed services

Although all women are at risk of being abused, pregnancy places a woman at increased risk of injury and adverse health consequences. [b]Estimates suggest that between 40 and 60% of abused women were abused during pregnancy.[/b]20 Because of the risk to the mother and fetus, assessment for abuse should be routinely incorporated into prenatal and postpartum care. Common presentations are provided in Table VI.

Mental Health/Psychiatric Symptoms

The assessment of potential spouse abuse should be routinely included in psychiatric intakes and evaluations. The stress of abuse may aggravate co-morbid psychiatric disorders. Psychiatric/mental health symptoms frequently associated with spouse abuse victimization are provided in Table VII. As has been discussed previously, physicians should be aware of the role that stress disorders, both acute stress disorder and posttraumatic stress disorder, play in the development or exacerbation of physical symptoms.

Behavioral Signs

Women who are involved in abusive relationships often exhibit a variety of responses during the medical examination. They often appear frightened, evasive, passive, or jumpy. The abused woman commonly accept responsibility for the violence because the abuser has convinced her that she is to blame. She may also take responsibility for the abuse to maintain a sense of control over her situation.8 Other commonly observed behaviors are listed in Table VIII.

Read more here HERE

Please don't misunderstand me. . . I am not justifying abuse with this, I'm only attempting to show that the Psychological effects is universal, regardless of RACE, RELIGION, TRIBE, SIZE, HAIR COLOR OR LENGTH OF FINGER NAILS.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by SisiJinx: 1:46am On Jan 28, 2009
HeatFusion:

And as you see it, you think these women's common sense might be hindered by the four letter word *whispers* L.O.V.E. I agree, somewhat.

cheiiii, Ile aiye ti baje. Lol, must love be so painful. Then I guess, it indeed is blind embarassed cry cry

Bwahahahaha! My Aunt always says "Aaaaah! Ko baje fun Love". cheesy cheesy

She is a family and marriage counselor . . . so she hears Osirisiri Stories.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by Moonstone(f): 2:03am On Jan 28, 2009
Where's that arse-anal fan called debosky. i am not with 4play o! You ppl cannot break my happy home for me. Heatfusion - thank you jare. Please remind that arse to stop calling me that horrible name.

@ Topic, most women are submissive because of their kids or because of society, not out of choice. Most women see it as an option to a happy home.
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by KarmaMod(f): 2:11am On Jan 28, 2009
Seeing that they are told from birth that merely being a female is enough for them to burn in hell, why wouldnt they agree with the beatings
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by JustGood(m): 2:09pm On Jan 28, 2009
Karma, come inside the house for your daily portion of flogging now. I'll make love to you after I have flogged you.

Every woman deserves the kind of man she gets and vice versa.

If you are unable to find a man willing to truly love you, it is because you are the kind that doesn't deserve it!

karma, oya enter now now be4 I double the number of strokes you will recieve today wink
Re: Who Said Naija Women Aren't Submissive? by TOYOSI20(f): 5:57am On Jan 29, 2009
@ Topic

The Nigerian woman can be submissive, it essentially depends on the context. . . .what the situation is,

the environment and the individual herself. . . .her level of education, and how much self esteem she packing

so to speak. . . . .but personally i don't like the use of the word submissive. . . . cos in this context it seems they are

being described as being submissive to a fault, which generally isn't the case!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pls Can U Trust THIS Bride? / Distress Sale: 5months Old Male Eskimo Going For Cheap / My Wife Starved Me Of S3x For Two Years Because Of My Condition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.