Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,878 members, 7,872,897 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 03:11 AM

Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date (48509 Views)

Okorocha, Tinubu Set To Clash Over Ministerial Nomination / Jonathan's May 28 Handover Date A Plot To Invite A Military Coup. / Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by okpanachil: 10:39am On Apr 18, 2015
olas24u:

The law says 29th is the hand over date. He has another plan ,it could be another plan to scuttle democracy .29th and 28th what is the difference?

So suddenly the law has become a reference point for APC supporters.The same law they rubbished with the certificate issue which has resulted in Nigeria setting a new global standard (electing a certificateless president).Not that I support President GEJ handing over before May 29th but the double standards by this APC clowns leaves more to be desired.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by Kolade354(m): 10:43am On Apr 18, 2015
stevecantrell:

I suspect Jonathan carries a little Yoruba blood in his veins... the Owambe spirit ! grin
That gud he doesnt want to be lyk one of the Lousy and Saddistic Tribe we have in Nigeria grin
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by zoomzu(f): 10:45am On Apr 18, 2015
[quote author=roob post=32847873]*** WHY ARE THESE APC PEOPLE ALWAYS RUNNING FOUL WHEN NO ONE IS CHASING THEM*** [/quote

Why is Gej running from his constitutional right of handing over government on May 29 as stipulated in the 1999 Constitution or is there ghost chasing him to wait till 29?
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by Nobody: 10:47am On Apr 18, 2015
okpanachil:

So suddenly the law has become a reference point for APC supporters.The same law they rubbished with the certificate issue which has resulted in Nigeria setting a new global standard (electing a certificateless president).Not that I support President GEJ handing over before May 29th but the double standards by this APC clowns leaves more to be desired.
youre still on this certificate matter lmao cheesy

1 Like

Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by xcuggsm(m): 10:48am On Apr 18, 2015
driand:
evil pot of soup. angry

If there is any evil pot of soup on the fire to be served on the 28th or 29th, I don't think the chef is GEJ.

APC should look inwards to fish out the Judas in their midst. It's all about who gets the keys to Aso Villa.

CLUE: Who stands to benefit most if anything happens to GMB?? Who takes over power?

Those thinking about a military coup OR Interim government should forget about it.

APC HAS WON THE ELECTION!! WHATEVER HAPPENS FROM NOW ON IS ALL IN THEIR HANDS!!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by kodded(m): 10:49am On Apr 18, 2015
Akinrogun:

we know u saTANist...... gather, u shall b broken into pieces.......speak ur babbling, it shall not stand.......for God is with us!
what apc supporters did to jonathan, is the same thing pdp supporters will do to buhari

Deal with it :-P

1 Like

Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by anulaxad(m): 10:57am On Apr 18, 2015
kodded:
APC LIKE MAKING A FUSS OUT OF NOTHING

.......HOPE THIS WILLNT RESULT TO ANOTHER POLITICAL VIOLENCE undecided

MoDiFiEd
to those that say jonathan should obey the constitution well that same constitution said buhari is not eligible but yet he contested undecided

Hypocrite undecided

You are a certified ignoramus, explain to me why he is not qualified without indicting lies about his 'certificate' which even NTA and AIT have admitted he does have.
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by MalcoImX: 11:00am On Apr 18, 2015
otr1:
Baba won't grace that trap called dinner. We'll meet in Eagle Suare the next morning. That's the tradition.
Assured, Baba won't attend whatever does not add value to the country.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by mickeymimi: 11:12am On Apr 18, 2015
GMB.. Dont fall for their tricks.. why should it be may28 all in the name of dinner or whatever. It is a trap!

MKO Abiola treatment comes to mind or plot for the people in Jonathan's team to be able to escape Nigeria

Jonathan’s decision to formally handover to President-elect Muhammadu Buhari on May 28 will create a power vacuum for a few hours between the period he hands over and the morning of May 29 when his successor will be formally sworn-in as the president.

As far as the law is concerned, President Jonathan is in charge of the country until May 29. He cannot cut short his presidency in the name of handing over the day before at a dinner, as there is no provision for a vacuum.

He is the president till the morning of May 29 when Buhari takes the oath of office.

It was only God that saved us from PDP and Orubebe trap during Inec declaration of result, now another way of spoiling thing for masses.

A man that spent trillions on campaign was in no way tired of being in power.

No to dinner!

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by nwadiuko1(m): 11:12am On Apr 18, 2015
otr1:

If he insist on May 28, Buhari has the liberty not to attend.
that's inivitaion to military takeover
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by ekhai(m): 11:13am On Apr 18, 2015
firstEVA:

^
These are the true enemies of democracy! Keep wishing for Buhari's failure, instead of hoping for the best you are being negative, you fail to realise that when a govt fails you are affected personally.
My dear he is one of the aggrieved GEJ supporters who was already counting what will be his gains when GEJ wins. GEJ is ashamed to show up, without Mama peace, at Eagle square on May 29th.
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by mikolo80: 11:13am On Apr 18, 2015
kodded:
APC LIKE MAKING A FUSS OUT OF NOTHING

.......HOPE THIS WILLNT RESULT TO ANOTHER POLITICAL VIOLENCE undecided

MoDiFiEd
to those that say jonathan should obey the constitution well that same constitution said buhari is not eligible but yet he contested undecided

Hypocrite undecided
It was this same ''nothing''that got abiola June twelved. In law every word has meaning and can be used against you go the court.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by andre82(m): 11:14am On Apr 18, 2015
In law, it makes a big difference. In the military, it's a whole lot of time frame for any operation. If it doesn't make a difference, he should as well wait till the proper time (29th). Why the hurry?
Asito:
Coup ko soup ni. GEJ is a good man. Buhari and his followers should chill. Nigeria will never be without a ruler, 28th or 29th makes no difference. God has always ruled.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by 989900: 11:16am On Apr 18, 2015
Is the president jetting-out on the eve of 28th May, before the president-elect takes over?

Or, there is something sinister planned for the 29th of May?
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by adolfs01: 11:17am On Apr 18, 2015
otr1:

Baba is not GEJ that he will mess up. You'll grow old waiting for that.
Even when it's obvious that GEJ has messed up, you were not sincere enuf to admit it
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by MrBasketball: 11:20am On Apr 18, 2015
kodded:
na who be this thug ? [/b] undecided

You!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by otr1(m): 11:31am On Apr 18, 2015
adolfs01:

Even when it's obvious that GEJ has messed up, you were not sincere enuf to admit it
What are you talking about? I've never been in support of GEJ for a second.
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by gbengus17: 11:34am On Apr 18, 2015
they are afraid of arrest, they want to take of and run away. Buhari is a very very smart man who knows how to corner someone. that is why they feared him all this days. Maybe Jonathan and other key officials may be handcuffed that day.
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by otr1(m): 11:41am On Apr 18, 2015
nwadiuko1:
that's inivitaion to military takeover
Let him handover to his Service Chiefs if he can. For us in the APC, May 29 is sacrosanct. We'll follow the constitution to the letters. No handing over, hours before swearing in. It won't happen.
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by abanzi(m): 11:42am On Apr 18, 2015
hush15:

indeed there is and I assure there is no vacuum whatsoever. while handing over doesn't make buhari the President, it gives the President Elect the present status of the current administration to what ever degree of information needed.

it's like a new MD coming, the retiring MD handover before he resumes and takes over. what vacuum is there. the cabinet still exist till the President is sworn in and takes over.

we just over beating the issue. the swearing in date is sacrosanct.

okay, look at this way again, when you acquired a new property, is the document and keys given to you after packed in or before?

Thanks for your response. If it was as you have suggested, nobody would have an issue. But the point is that it is not like this. Even Learned SANs have pointed out that this scenario of May 28 to May 29 would lead to a prolonged vacuum of up to possible 8 hours! The hand over must definitely hold before the swearing in as you have noted, but then, the 2 processes should occur almost immediately within the same time frame to minimize the vacuum time. Once handing over is done, GEJs tenure and cabinet is over. GMDs tenure only starts when sworn in and he has no power before then as you suggest. Between these two periods, none of them is accountable for Nigeria! If you understand what this means, you would understand the concern. I personally do not think any evil is planned but this is a huge security and National risk if there would be up to eight hours vacuum of no accountable leadership.
The idea of a dinner is good and its okay for him to have an outgoing dinner, but not to hand over then, so as to make the transition seamless and devoid of vacuum.
To put this in better perspective, vacuum in the seat of government is a good reason for the military to step in and handle the affairs of a country.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by abanzi(m): 11:51am On Apr 18, 2015
hush15:

again, let's us stop misinterpreting the actions of the President has he has no intention of frustrating the incoming government. this is an unnecessary alarm being raised. why would anyone in his right senses that conceded defeat would still want to hold on to power or frustrate a transition process that will serve as the hallmark of his administration? That he handed over successful still have a lot to Jonathan's administration considering all what he has been through and happened.

While we misinterpreting the handover, the handover is just an event to formally hand over all necessary documents and briefs or additional documentation needed by the incoming government on the affairs and status of affairs of the nation. This is just a prelude to the actual event which is the swearing in. The swearing in is the main event that officially makes the President elect, the President and transfer powers to him by the constitution and not an event where they receive documents and handover notes as some people are misinterpreting..

Handing over is not a constitutional thing but a discretional choice between who us coming in and who is going out.

After swearing in, would Bugatti still be calling Jonathan to come and brief him on the state of affairs of some ministry and the presidency, let's be reasonable and speak the truth rather than condemning and hating....

By your post, are you suggesting that GEJ still remains president after the handing over ceremony of May 28th until when GMD is sworn in on May 29th? If this is so and well understood and agreed, then no cause for alarm. But if the case is that GEJ loses his power by this handing over ceremony, and there is a vacuum in government until GMD is sworn in, then this is a National security risk and should not be taken lightly.
SANs and people that understand the constitution better have warned that the later is the case and I think that's why this issue is taking spotlight.
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by ocelot2006(m): 11:59am On Apr 18, 2015
otr1:

Go and study the history of Nigeria economy or better still ask those who witnessed his reign.
Only criminals will tell you it's not far better than now. He's here to do it again.

You telling me with a straight face that the Nigerian economy faired better during GMBs tenure? Really kiddo? I strongly suggest you take up your own advice and read up.
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by abanzi(m): 12:03pm On Apr 18, 2015
okpanachil:

The famous certificate has now been found by our Military, but for the purpose of discussion, let us assume that this certificate (SSCE) was not available. Are you really aware of what the constitution says regarding qualification of the candidates? The constitution provides for other certificates that may be deemed as equivalent or surpassing. GMD having passed through several training colleges has certificates that override the so called SSCE certificate so it would never have been an issue.
To put it in perspective, if you have a Masters degree certificate, it overrides your First degree certification even if you had a 3rd class.
PDP and people like you, just fell into the trap of focussing of non-issues instead of gaining relevant momentum for the GEJ administration. Try and learn a lesson from this.
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by Bowaley17(m): 12:10pm On Apr 18, 2015
Coup d'etat
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by Nobody: 12:16pm On Apr 18, 2015
driand:
For insisting that handover should be official? You no get sense. angry
not jusj that,didnt u notice fasakin's choice of words,for a sitting president? Apc have been so bitter long and all along b4 now....for all da abuses,disrespect,disregard,denigration,embarrassment,bitterness,resent,hatred,.,etc,they showed to gej,they are gonna get double....i may not have sense but i aint got a cows brain like vintage u..undecided
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by abanzi(m): 12:21pm On Apr 18, 2015
okpanachil:

The famous certificate has now been found by our Military, but for the purpose of discussion, let us assume that this certificate (SSCE) was not available. Are you really aware of what the constitution says regarding qualification of the candidates? The constitution provides for other certificates that may be deemed as equivalent or surpassing. GMD having passed through several training colleges has certificates that override the so called SSCE certificate so it would never have been an issue.
To put it in perspective, if you have a Masters degree certificate, it overrides your First degree certification even if you had a 3rd class.
PDP and people like you, just fell into the trap of focussing of non-issues instead of gaining relevant momentum for the GEJ administration. Try and learn a lesson from this.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by timunstopable: 1:15pm On Apr 18, 2015
for once dont talk based on sentiments

please what does the law say May 28 or 29 for handing over

so why will Gej want to handover May 28

No one anyone can defend this.it is against the law

kodded:
THAT IS WHY I SAID APC SHOULD NT MAKE A FUSS OUT OF THIS LITTLE ISSUE...................NOW YOU GUYS ARE SAYING HE WANT TO PLOT A COUP..........THE NEGATIVITY OF THIS ACTION IS ALREADY GROWING SOON PARTY THUGS WILL TAKE TO THE STREET AND START KILLING INNOCENT PEOPLE..........
..........ALL BECAUSE A PARTY REFUSE TO ACCEPT THE HAND OVER DATE FROM MAY 29 TO MAY 28
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by LordTudor: 1:21pm On Apr 18, 2015
proudlyhandsome:

Bruv, I can assure you with my life that Jonathan would be the most disgraced president ever in the history of the world.

You seem not to see the level of interest of America and Britain in Buhari presidency

US/UK will finish Jonathan and his inner caucus like Ngozi Iwealla, Maduekwe and the rest.

Barrack Obama and his Democrats party will be out of power next year, and if you know anything happening in the UK now, you would have known that the conservatives and Mr. Cameron is going to be voted out on May 7th. Karma is just a biatch. Change all over!
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by otr1(m): 1:21pm On Apr 18, 2015
ocelot2006:

You telling me with a straight face that the Nigerian economy faired better during GMBs tenure? Really kiddo? I strongly suggest you take up your own advice and read up.
Go and do as I said...read!!!
How bad was the economy when even the clueless one got a job in a College of Education in 1983 as a fresh graduate?
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by yungcheda(m): 1:22pm On Apr 18, 2015
Gej, don't say anything...if them no want, they should go and die...
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by okpanachil: 1:28pm On Apr 18, 2015
sarahatuba:

youre still on this certificate matter lmao cheesy

Yes O,and I will be on it untill the Baba presents one certified by Cambridge.All this Senator Afikuyomi tweet and the other baseless rumours does not hold water with me.
Re: Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date by proudlyhandsome: 1:28pm On Apr 18, 2015
LordTudor:

Barrack Obama and his Democrats party will be out of power next year, and if you know anything happening in the UK now, you would have known that the conservatives and Mr. Cameron is going to be voted out on May 7th. Karma is just a biatch. Change all over!

Change of govt does not change anything my friend. US/UK foreign policy remain the same at all time regardless who d president is

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Turns Pastor On Twitter, Nigerians react / See Massive Crowd That Welcomed Kwankwaso In Dala Local Government In Kano. Pics / Leaked Audio: I Will Leave Peter Obi Alone - Reno Omokri Says, Reveals Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.