Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,892 members, 7,883,124 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 01:18 AM

The Law Vs. Legalism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Law Vs. Legalism (2012 Views)

Should Believers Observe The Law? / Breaking The Bondage Of LEGALISM (tithing) / Did Jesus Destroy The Law Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Law Vs. Legalism by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:04pm On May 05, 2015
Words of Comfort: The Law vs. Legalism.

Some people may wonder if using the Law (the Ten Commandments) in evangelism produces legalism. When the Law is used to show a sinner that sin is "exceedingly sinful"—that nothing can commend him to God—he clings to the cross knowing that he is saved by grace and grace alone. This knowledge gives the Christian the understanding that even after a lifetime of good works, fasting, praying, seeking the lost, etc., his "works" don’t commend him to God—he is still saved by grace and grace alone.

However, when the Law isn’t used before the cross, and a sinner simply makes a "decision for Christ," he comes with a lack of understanding about the true nature of sin. After his commitment, he thinks that his good works, his fasting, praying, evangelism, etc., commend him to God. He is the one who thinks that what he eats, what he wears, and what he does become relevant to his Salvation.

He is the one who is liable to say "touch not, taste not, handle not"—the one who becomes "legalistic." Using the Law in evangelism before the cross liberates a new convert from legalism.

http://www.onthebox.us/…/words-of-comfort-law-vs-legalism.h…
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by dsquare33: 1:35pm On May 08, 2015
A lot of people in this part of the world don't understand the meaning of grace.'For by grace you have been saved through faith and that not of yourselves;it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast' Ephesians 2vs8.like you have rigthly said there is alot of touch not taste not, in our churches especially our 'conservative' churches and because there is too much 'spying and condmnation' they cast away that grace, thereby subjecting people to rigorous legalism. That is why you see some christians looking too stern and stoic in nature. For the mere fact that I am under grace does'nt mean I should commit adultery, stealing,keeping malice, harbouring unforgivness , envy.backbitting,taking bribe. I am suppose to hate what the LORD hates and loves what HE loves and how do I do this by walking in the Spirit Galatians 5vs16 'I say then walk in the Spirit and you shall not fufill the lust of the flesh' asking for grace to always obey His will.I remember while I was in a market oneday heard a preacher he was emphasising on women who fix weavons and wearing trousers,I just said how can he be wasting the Message like this instead he should have preach salvation, saving grace and God's enternal love and condemnation he just deviated.The whites who brought the gospel understood Grace in its all fullness nowonder some of them enjoy good relationship with God.
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:28pm On May 18, 2015
dsquare33:

A lot of people in this part of the world don't understand the meaning of grace.'For by grace you have been saved through faith and that not of yourselves;it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast' Ephesians 2vs8.like you have rigthly said there is alot of touch not taste not, in our churches especially our 'conservative' churches and because there is too much 'spying and condmnation' they cast away that grace, thereby subjecting people to rigorous legalism. That is why you see some christians looking too stern and stoic in nature. For the mere fact that I am under grace does'nt mean I should commit adultery, stealing,keeping malice, harbouring unforgivness , envy.backbitting,taking bribe. I am suppose to hate what the LORD hates and loves what HE loves and how do I do this by walking in the Spirit Galatians 5vs16 'I say then walk in the Spirit and you shall not fufill the lust of the flesh' asking for grace to always obey His will.I remember while I was in a market oneday heard a preacher he was emphasising on women who fix weavons and wearing trousers,I just said how can he be wasting the Message like this instead he should have preach salvation, saving grace and God's enternal love and condemnation he just deviated.The whites who brought the gospel understood Grace in its all fullness nowonder some of them enjoy good relationship with God.

I agree with most of what you said but I must state that the grace of God teaches us to be sober, righteous and godly in this world.

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously and godly in this present world" (Titus 2:11-12).
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by dsquare33: 6:54pm On May 18, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

I agree with most of what you said but I must state that the grace of God teaches us to be sober, righteous and godly in this world.

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously and godly in this present world" (Titus 2:11-12).
To be sober does not mean one have to look forlorn or downcast .To the best of my knowlege it means to be watchful and live our lives as if Christ is coming now,It means we have to be much more conscious of his imminent return and I don't have to look stern and stoic looking to be sober.
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:51pm On May 19, 2015
dsquare33:

To be sober does not mean one have to look forlorn or downcast .To the best of my knowlege it means to be watchful and live our lives as if Christ is coming now,It means we have to be much more conscious of his imminent return and I don't have to look stern and stoic looking to be sober.

Christians are compared to soldiers at the battle front. Can you picture watchful soldiers being frivolous, laughing and being light hearted all the time? Remember the Scripture said that grace helps us to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts and that we should live soberly, righteously and godly in this present world.
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:53am On May 30, 2015
"But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine: That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children" (Titus 2:1-6).

Sound doctrine teaches us to be sober-minded amongst other things for the sake of our testimony
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:30pm On Jun 10, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

"But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine: That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children" (Titus 2:1-6).

Sound doctrine teaches us to be sober-minded amongst other things for the sake of our testimony

"Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober" (1 Thessalonians 5:6).

Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jun 10, 2015
[quote author=OLAADEGBU post=33447341][/quote]

Any law that cannot be broken is a real law. Can the ten commandments be broken? Yes!!!

1 Like

Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:50pm On Jun 10, 2015
ifeness:

Any law that cannot be broken is a real law. Can the ten commandments be broken? Yes!!!

Moses broke them all in one day! shocked

Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jun 10, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Moses broke them all in one day! shocked

So did Snow white and Prince Charming.
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:09pm On Jun 10, 2015
ifeness:

So did Snow white and Prince Charming.

Moses and Jesus brought the law and grace respectively. See how their names brought the fear of God into this godless burglar. wink

Jesus is Watching You

A burglar broke into a house one night. He shone his flashlight around, looking for valuables, and when he picked up a CD player to place in his sack, a strange, disembodied voice echoed from the dark saying:

"Jesus is watching you".

He nearly jumped out of his skin, clicked his flashlight off and froze. When he heard nothing more after a bit, he shook his head, promised himself to take a break after the next big score, then flicked the light back on and began searching for more valuables. Just as he pulled the stereo out so he could disconnect the wires, clear as a bell he heard:

"Jesus is watching you."

Totally rattled, he shone his light around frantically, looking for the source of the voice. Finally, in the corner of the room, his flashlight beam came to rest on a parrot.

"Did you just say that?"

He hissed at the parrot.

"Yes,"

the parrot confessed, then squawked,

"I'm just trying to warn you."

The burglar relaxed.

"Warn me, huh? Who do you think you are any way?"

"Moses,"

Replied the bird.

"Moses?"

the burglar laughed.

"What kind of silly people would name a parrot 'Moses'?"

The bird promptly answered:

"The same kind of people that would name a Rottweiler 'Jesus'!  shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jun 10, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Moses and Jesus brought the law and grace respectively. See how their names brought the fear of God into this godless burglar. wink

Story book should have been written at the back of the bible

1 Like

Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:22pm On Jun 12, 2015
ifeness:

Story book should have been written at the back of the bible

The Bible is His Story, God's story. Blessed Information before leaving earth.

1 Like

Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jun 12, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

The Bible is His Story, God's story. Blessed Information before leaving earth.

That is His(european man's)story, what is your story?

1 Like

Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:14am On Jun 13, 2015
ifeness:

That is His(european man's)story, what is your story?

Are you competing with your Maker?

A bunch of atheist evolutionists who thought they were scientists, got together and decided that man had come a long way and no longer needed God. They picked one "scientist" to go and tell God that they no longer needed Him.

God listened patiently and kindly to the man and after the scientist finished, God said,

"Very well! How about this? Let's have a man-making contest."

To which the man replied,

"Okay, great!"

But God added,

"Now we're going to do this just like I did back in the old days with Adam."

The scientist said,

"Sure, no problem"

and bent down and gathered a handful of dust.

God just looked at him and said,

"No, no, no. You have to make your own dust out of nothing!"

End of contest.

1 Like

Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by Nobody: 9:23am On Jun 13, 2015
Who is my maker mr fairy tales teller?

1 Like

Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by davien(m): 9:31am On Jun 13, 2015
OLAADEGBU is creationism demonstrable?
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:55am On Jun 13, 2015
davien:

OLAADEGBU is creationism demonstrable?

If you mean creation science, yes. cool
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:55am On Jun 13, 2015
ifeness:

Who is my maker mr fairy tales teller?

The Creator of the whole universe.
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by Hiswordxray(m): 1:24pm On Jun 13, 2015
ifeness:

So the Nigerian law is not a real law because it can be broken?
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by davien(m): 2:21pm On Jun 13, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

If you mean creation science, yes. cool
okay, could you list an experiment done demonstrating creationism?
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 13, 2015
Hiswordxray:

So the Nigerian law is not a real law because it can be broken?

Nigerian law isn't perfect is it? As we evolve our laws evolve.
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by Hiswordxray(m): 5:20pm On Jun 13, 2015
ifeness:

Nigerian law isn't perfect is it? As we evolve our laws evolve.
It seems you don't know the different between perfect and real.
Something may be real but not perfect.
So according to your statement Nigeria has no real law?
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jun 13, 2015
Hiswordxray:

It seems you don't know the different between perfect and real.
Something may be real but not perfect.
So according to your statement Nigeria has no real law?

Mr man! A real law cannot be broken.

Law number 1. You exist and will always do.This is a law that cannot be broken

Law number 2. What you put out is what you get back(Karma) Nothing you can do about that.

Tell me what other laws cannot be broken? Nigerian laws are like the ten commandments that can be broken.
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by Hiswordxray(m): 5:32pm On Jun 13, 2015
ifeness:

Mr man! A real law cannot be broken.

Law number 1. You exist and will always do.This is a law that cannot be broken

Law number 2. What you put out is what you get back(Karma) Nothing you can do about that.

Tell me what other laws cannot be broken? Nigerian laws are like the ten commandments that can be broken.
So now you agree that Nigerian laws are similar to the ten commandments, meaning that the ten commandments are also laws?
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jun 13, 2015
Hiswordxray:

So now you agree that Nigerian laws are similar to the ten commandments, meaning that the ten commandments are also laws?

I do not agree, I know. I know no god is meant to be worshiped just as I know 13 year old girls shouldn't be allowed to be married to pot bellied old men. I also know gay people have the right to life and protection from the govt,not prison.

A wise society will not base their laws on books written thousands of years ago. Do you agree?
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by Hiswordxray(m): 5:52pm On Jun 13, 2015
ifeness:

I do not agree, I know. I know no god is meant to be worshiped just as I know 13 year old girls shouldn't be allowed to be married to pot bellied old men. I also know gay people have the right to life and protection from the govt,not prison.
So what did God did to you that He deserve not to be worshipped?
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 13, 2015
Hiswordxray:

So what did God did to you that He deserve not to be worshipped?

1. There is no god. Your question requires no answer. Stick to the Op's topic ,don't derail.

Laws and Legalism.
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by Hiswordxray(m): 6:22pm On Jun 13, 2015
ifeness:

1. There is no god. Your question requires no answer. Stick to the Op's topic ,don't derail.

Laws and Legalism.

Then why did you say:
ifeness:

I do not agree, I know. I know no god is meant to be worshiped
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:50am On Jun 15, 2015
davien:

okay, could you list an experiment done demonstrating creationism?

If you are talking about creationism then that is an ideology but creation science confirms what we have in the Bible. The book of Genesis tells us everything was created by God and this evidence is what we see today we do not see evolution.

Every creature was given the ability to reproduce after its own kind, is that not what we see repeatedly today? Dogs do not produce cats as Darwinian evolution teaches neither do dogs evolve into cats perhaps you've been led to believe that poodles are cats. tongue

Dogs began as dogs and are still dogs. They vary in species from Chihuahuas to Saint Bernards, but you will not find a "dat" or a "cog" (part cat/dog. wink
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by davien(m): 10:46am On Jun 15, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

If you are talking about creationism then that is an ideology but creation science confirms what we have in the Bible. The book of Genesis tells us everything was created by God and this evidence is what we see today we do not see evolution.

Every creature was given the ability to reproduce after its own kind, is that not what we see repeatedly today? Dogs do not produce cats as Darwinian evolution teaches neither do dogs evolve into cats perhaps you've been led to believe that poodles are cats. tongue

Dogs began as dogs and are still dogs. They vary in species from Chihuahuas to Saint Bernards, but you will not find a "dat" or a "cog" (part cat/dog. wink
wow...again, the question is can you give me one experiment that verifies creationism....
Or I'll be specific....an experiment that concludes or concedes that ;

A classification scheme such as a "kind" exists...

Said kinds were products of divine creation..

Why said kind like tigers and lions can reproduce something viable when they aren't supposed to bee related as claimed by creationism..

How the earth is 6000 years old....

Can you do that? undecided
Re: The Law Vs. Legalism by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:05pm On Jun 15, 2015
davien:

wow...again, the question is can you give me one experiment that verifies creationism....
Or I'll be specific....an experiment that concludes or concedes that ;

A classification scheme such as a "kind" exists...

You don't need to confuse "kind" with "species" because they are different. A species is a man made term used in the modern classification system. The Bible uses the the term "kind" in Genesis chapter 1 when God created plants and animals "according to their kinds." A scientific experiment has to be repeatable and we see that plants and animals produce within the boundary of their kinds up to this day. Evidence to support this concept is what we see clearly today as there are no reports of dats (dog + cat) because they are animals of a different kind. If two animals can breed together then they are generally of the same kind.

davien:

Said kinds were products of divine creation..

Read Genesis chapter 1 where you will find the animals were created "according to their kinds."

davien:

Why said kind like tigers and lions can reproduce something viable when they aren't supposed to bee related as claimed by creationism..

As I said earlier, if 2 animals can breed together then they are most likely of the same kind. Lions and Tigers are of the same Cat family (Felidae) and can produce Ligers and Tigons respectively.

davien:

How the earth is 6000 years old....

Can you do that? undecided

If a scientist views the earth with biblical glasses he would come to the conclusion that it is about 6,000 years old but if he uses the glasses that is based on human reasoning alone he would wrongly conclude that it looks old. God who created the earth was an eyewitness to the creation event and He recorded the truth that it is a young world created about 6,000 years ago and it only looks old because it is the destroyed remains of the original earth God created and is still marred by the subsequent Curse.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Do U Think About This Prayer Point @ RCCG FLOODGATE Camp? / Is There Any Difference Between "Thanksgiving Offering And Testimony Offering" ? / It Will Get Easier With Time , I Promise You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.