Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,107 members, 7,887,225 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:20 AM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (102) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (253186 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:41am On Feb 01, 2016
Old news article, anyway these references show that Arsen Wenger is not a friend of the NFF.

But what exactly make this people to believe we should lose our best legs to other Countries?

[b][size=14pt]
Iwobi’s Father: Wenger Wanted My Son To Shun Nigeria
[/size]

By Izuchukwu Okosi:
Arsenal FC manager Arsene Wenger who managed former Super Eagles captain and two-time African Footballer of the Year, Nwankwo Kanu, wants young midfielder Alex Iwobi to choose England over Nigeria, the player’s father has disclosed.

Chuka Iwobi who is a nephew to former Eagles captain and mercurial midfield wizard, Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha and his father, Chuka, arrived the Dream Team, U23 national camp few days ago and revealed to the media of how Wenger tried persuading his son to play for England at the expense of Nigeria.

However Chuka Iwobi, who hails from Onitsha, Anambra State and his son’s uncle, Jay Jay Okocha, a relative to his wife, persuaded Alex, a youth international at the U15 and U18 levels for England to play for the U23 Nigerian national team.

“Wenger had preferred Alex play for the England national team but I and Austin Okocha who is a relation of Alex’s mother, my wife, advised him to play for Nigeria and he agreed.

“Alex has huge respect for Jay Jay (Okocha) since he has watched his video clips and read about his exploits while playing in England as well as in the Super Eagles, so he agreed to play for Nigeria,” Alex father, Chuka Iwobi said in Abuja shortly after the Dream Team VI evening training.

The father however tipped his son to make the U23 team squad despite the boy slow start in Wednesday’s training which he attributed to change of environment and newness in the Nigerian team.

“I have seen Alex squared up against bigger and more experienced players in the UK (United Kingdom) and has excelled so I am confident that he will proof his worth in the Nigerian U23 national team.

“He is not expected to click in his first attempt but I know his coaches here might have seen the talent and his skills which is most important.

“Players often faced slow start when they play newly in a team. You could see in today’s training that he wasn’t getting the needed passes and had to track back most times to get the ball. I know with more training sessions with the rest of the players as from Thursday (today) through Saturday he would improve with the national team,” Iwobi senior defended.

Chuka Iwobi confirmed that his son would leave Abuja for North London on Sunday failure which could attract a fine.

“Alex is expected to be here till Saturday and must return to England this Sunday. Failure to report to the training ground at the Emirates Stadium on Monday would attract a fine. But I hope he would have proved himself with the Nigerian U23 national team before then,” Iwobi senior added.

Meanwhile Arsenal have offered highly-
rated Nigerian-born forward Chuba Akpom a new three-year contract to stay at the club.

The 19-year-old who himself, alongside Semi Ajayi, has declared his intention to represent Nigeria, his father’s nation rather than England where he was born, has built his reputation with fine performances of the club’s Under-21 side, but his current deal is set to expire in the summer.

Akpom’s contract situation means that he is now allowed to hold talks with foreign clubs, and there is interest from Feyenoord, FC Twente and Borussia Dortmund, according to the Evening Standard.

Akpom has made just three appearances for the senior side this season.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/iwobis-father-wenger-wanted-son-shun-nigeria/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 8:01am On Feb 01, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ambrose Sees Red; Ideye, Simon Win With Olympiakos, Gent
[/size]

By James Agberebi:
Super Eagles defender, Efe Ambrose, was shown a straight red card just 13 minutes into Celtic and Ross County’s League Cup clash on Sunday.

Ross County made their man advantage count, as they came from a goal down to win 3-1.

In the English FA Cup, Mikel Obi, was left on the bench for 90 minutes in Chelsea’s 5-1 away win against MK Dons.

A hat-trick from Oscar, and a goal each from Eden Hazard and Bertrand Traore, sealed the emphatic win for Chelsea.

Super Eagles assistant skipper, Ogenyi Onazi, was an unused substitute for Lazio who forced Udinese to a 0-0 draw in the Serie A.

Nigerian forward, Joseph Akpala made a 74th minute entrant for Gohi Bi Cyriac in Oostende’s 3-3 home draw against Mouscron-Peruwelz in Belgium.

His Nigerian team-mate, Saviour Godwin, was benched throughout the encounter.

Super Eagles winger, Moses Simon, was on from the start before making way for Thomas Matton on 75 minutes, in Gent’s 2-1 home win against Waasland-Beveren.
In Greece, Brown Ideye, was in Olympiakos starting 11 as they thrashed PAS Gianina 3-0.

Ideye was later replaced by Alan Pulido with five minutes remaining in the game.

And in the Turkish Cup, Super Eagles defender, Godfrey Oboabona, featured for 90 minutes, as Rizespor beat Sivas Belediye 2-0.

And in another Turkish Cup game, John Chibuike was in action for Gaziantepspor who lost 3-1 away to Galatasaray.

Gbenga Arokoyo was not listed for Gaziantepspor.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/ambrose-sees-red-ideye-simon-win-with-olympiakos-gent/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 8:15am On Feb 01, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
West Ham Sign “Happy” Emenike On Loan
[/size]

Emmanuel Emenike expressed happiness on Sunday after his loan move to West Ham was confirmed.

“West Ham United are delighted to announce the signing of Nigeria centre-forward Emmanuel Emenike on loan until the end of the season,” the Premier League club confirmed on their website on Sunday night.

“The 28-year-old arrives at the Boleyn Ground from Turkish club Fenerbahce, with the Hammers having the option to make the transfer permanent in the summer.

C “apped 37 times, the powerfully-built striker has scored regularly throughout his career, netting more than 80 club goals, including seven this season during a loan spell at Arabian Gulf League side Al-Ain in the United Arab Emirates.”

Emenike came through a successful medical at Spire Roding Hospital on Friday and, after putting pen to paper at the Boleyn Ground, described his joy at the prospect of linking up with Slaven Bilic, a manager he has known for some time.

“I’m very, very happy and very, very excited that I’m here,” Emenike told West Ham TV.
“I have always known West Ham as a great club. I’ve always been watching them. West Ham’s a great Club and I’m happy to be here.

“I’ve known him [Bilic] for years. When he was at Lokomotiv Moscow, I was at Spartak Moscow, then he came to Besiktas and I was in Fenerbahce, so we’ve known each other for a long time.
I’m happy to be here and happy to play for him.

“We’ve followed each other’s careers and thank God we are here today and we are here together.”

Born in the town of Aguleri in south eastern Nigeria, Emenike began his career with Delta Force FC before moving to South African football with Mpumalanga Black Aces and FC Cape Town.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/west-ham-sign-happy-emenike-on-loan/
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 8:18am On Feb 01, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Mikel: Hiddink Relates With Chelsea Players Better Than Mourinho
[/size]

Chelsea midfielder Mikel Obi has taken a dig at former boss Jose Mourinho, condemning Mourinho’s lack of communication with players.

The 28-year-old Nigerian who has become a regular in the squad since in the Portuguese was replaced by Guus Hiddink prefers the Dutchman’s methods compared to his predecessor.

Mikel who remains unbeaten under Guus Hiddink also reveals that the squad responds better to their new boss’s managerial style.

“Yes, the mood is better, I think that’s what [Hiddink] has brought into the football club,” Mikel told BBC Sport.

“He’s so calm and so relaxed, just the way he communicates with the players – and maybe that’s what the players felt they didn’t get from the previous manager (Mourinho).

“Sometimes with players – not just because they’re not playing – you need to communicate with them, speak to them, and don’t just ignore them because players like to be communicated to.”

Mikel who has made five starts in the Premier League under Hiddink (13 in all competitions for Chelsea) is expected to return to the starting line up when the Blues face Watford at the Vicarage Road on Wednesday.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/38369-2/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 8:19am On Feb 01, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Anichebe Rejects Loan Move To Derby
[/size]

Anichebe snubs Derby loan move
West Brom forward Victor Anichebe has snubbed a loan move to Championship side Derby County with just one day left of the January transfer window, The Mirror has reported.

The 27-year-old Nigerian international according to the report was handed a chance to drop down a division to join promotion hopefuls Derby for regular games but he has decided against it.

And he is prepared to stay at The Hawthorns until the summer and quit on a lucrative Bosman playing in the top-flight.

The Beijing Olympic silver medallist joined the Baggies on deadline day in 2013 after a £6 million move from Everton.

Anichebe has just two league starts – seven in all competitions – for the Baggies this term. He has scored nine goals in 57 appearances for the Baggies over three seasons.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/anichebe-rejects-loan-move-derby/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:06am On Feb 01, 2016
BlackAlbino6:
[b][size=14pt]
4 Reasons Home Eagles Failed In Rwanda
[/size]

Comple tesportsnigeria.com's ADEBOYE AMOSU who is still covering the 2016 African Nations Championship in Rwanda, highlights four key factors that militated against the Home Eagles' progress in the competition, and a consequent failure to go beyond the group stage.

1. Lack Of Motivation
The home-based Super Eagles started their campaign at the African Nations Championship on an impressive note, mauling Niger 4-1. Not long after that, the players started complaining about the poor treatment meted out on them by their officials despite assurances by sports minister, Solomon Dalung that they would soon be paid all their outstanding allowances and bonuses.

For the players, who had the same experience at their respective clubs last season where they were owed for several months, it was another pill to swallow.

Majority of the players were in a sad mood on the eve of their last game against Guinea as they complained bitterly once again, and that reflected on their performance as they put up their worst performance in the three games they played at the 2016 CHAN.

2. Failure Of Key Players To Turn Up
The loss of form of some key members of the squad really affected the team in Rwanda. In defence, Jamiu Alimi was totally awful in the first game against Tunisia and it was a surprise he earned a recall into he side in the last game against Guinea.

The highly rated Paul Onobi was by far the biggest flop in the competition. His sluggish play in the midfield led to the two goals the Eagles conceded in the games against Tunisia and Guinea.

Enterprising Enyimba winger, Ezekiel Bassey struggled to replicate his old form in training and was never trusted to start a game, while forward, Tunde Adeniji also flopped.

3. Lack Of International Experience
The fact that majority of the players are playing in their first competition also affected their performance. Only the two goalkeepers; Femi Thomas and Ikechukwu Ezenwa who were part of Nigeria's U-20 squad to the World Cup in Canada in 2007, and Ifeanyi Matthew have played in an international competition in the past.

It showed in their performance in the first game against Niger where they struggled for most of the first half and the last game against Guinea where they needed just a point to qualify for the quarter-finals, and they threw everything away.

4. Coach's Inexperience
Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh's inexperience was one of the biggest factors why the Eagles failed to make it beyond the group stage in Rwanda. A more experienced tactician would have fashioned out a conservative approach that would have helped the team pick a point in their last Group C match against Guinea.

Instead, Oliseh's team went all out attacking and lost the game in the end.

Also, Oliseh's decision to start Jamiu Alimi instead of Kalu Orji in the last game against Guinea was a surprise to many. Orji helped stabilise the defence after coming on as a substitute in the Eagles' first two games, but he was left on the bench in the game against Guinea.

The coach also persevered with players like Paul Onobi and skipper Chima Akas when it was obvious there were better options on the bench.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/4-reasons-home-eagles-failed-in-rwanda/
[/b]

The analyst last point is terribly wrong. He obviously did not watch the game. What killed the Super Eagles team as a conservative approach to get a draw. It was a ridiculous approach.

We met a team we could crush and Coach Oliseh chose to "Sit Back And Let Them Have The Ball." That is the exact phrase Coach Oliseh used as a pundit during the AFCON final game Coach Keshi won.

We let the ball and made Guinea look like Germany. It was after we conceded Coach Oliseh switched the tactics. We pressed and outplayed the Guineans for the rest of the game but the goal did not come.

Coach Oliseh should kill that conservative football and go to crush his opponents. Look at what Zidane is doing with Real Madrid. As long as a coach learns to make his team attack with force, results will go his way.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 10:27am On Feb 01, 2016
BlackAlbino6:
[b][size=14pt]
Wenger: “Clever” Iwobi Should Play For England, Not Nigeria
[/size]

By Izuchukwu Okosi:
Arsenal youngster Alex Iwobi should be playing for England’s Three Lions and not the Super Eagles of Nigeria, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has said.

Iwobi was in action for Arsenal on Saturday in their FA Cup fourth round tie against Burnley and Wenger was impressed with the 19-year-old’s performance and believes he is a talent that got away from England’s grasps.

Iwobi pledged his future to Nigeria and has been capped twice by Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh after representing England at U-16, U-17 and U-18 levels.

“I think he’s one England have missed because he plays for Nigeria now,” Wenger told the Guardian. “He should play for England. I don’t think he has played in a competitive game for Nigeria.”

Wenger then revealed he deliberately stopped Iwobi from representing Nigeria last year at the U-23 level.

He added: “I remember I turned him down for an U-23 tournament. But then Nigeria called him up for the first team to force him to go.

“I think he has shown everybody that he is a good football player, again. I find him personally very interesting.”

Wenger went on to praise the youngster, who was brilliant against Burnley on Saturday.
It was Iwobi’s third start and eighth appearance for the club – all of them this season – and Wenger gave a glowing assessment of his game.

“His decision-making is spot on and his awareness is very interesting,” Wenger added. “He’s a boy who, two years ago, not many would have said: ‘This will be.’ He develops very well. He’s very clever. I like the timing and the quality of his decision-making.

He always turns where you want him to turn and he plays the ball where you want him to play the ball. He’s very interesting.”
www.completesportsnigeria.com/wenger-clever-iwobi-should-play-for-england-not-nigeria/
[/b]
i personally think nff should be giving credit for this one.. cap these young stars for future use.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:29am On Feb 01, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

The analyst last point is terribly wrong. He obviously did not watch the game. What killed the Super Eagles team as a conservative approach to get a draw. It was a ridiculous approach.

We met a team we could crush and Coach Oliseh chose to "Sit Back And Let Them Have The Ball." That is the exact phrase Coach Oliseh used as a pundit during the AFCON final game Coach Keshi won.

We let the ball and made Guinea look like Germany. It was after we conceded Coach Oliseh switched the tactics. We pressed and outplayed the Guineans for the rest of the game but the goal did not come.

Coach Oliseh should kill that conservative football and go to crush his opponents. Look at what Zidane is doing with Real Madrid. As long as a coach learns to make his team attack with force, results will go your way.

But this part of the point 4 stands right?

"Also, Oliseh's decision to start Jamiu Alimi instead of Kalu Orji in the last game against Guinea was a surprise to many. Orji helped stabilise the defence after coming on as a substitute in the Eagles' first two games, but he was left on the bench in the game against Guinea.

The coach also persevered with players like Paul Onobi and skipper Chima Akas when it was obvious there were better options on the bench".

Also I don't know why he preferred Prince Aggreh ahead of Eze dubed the Nigerian Hazard? When it obvious that Prince was highly ineffectual.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:35am On Feb 01, 2016
krattoss:
i personally think nff should be giving credit for this one.. cap these young stars for future use.
The NFF tried for this one sha. May be by then Alex had not shown the kind of promise he has shown now.

But am not happy that we have lost Chuba Akpom and Dele Ali to England, especially now, that Alex Iwobi seems to prefer Nigerian ahead of England. The English won't let their hands off Chuba Akpom.

We will also have to blame the parents for not making these youngsters feel more Nigerian than their foreign adopted Countries. In the case of Alex Iwobi, both the Dad and Jay Jay Okocha played a good part in making sure that England did not steal his mind.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:59am On Feb 01, 2016
[size=14pt]
Ighalo celebrates Emenike's arrival in EPL
[/size]
Emmanuel Emenike in action for Fenerbache
Nigeria international Odion Ighalo has celebrated Emmanuel Emenike's loan move to English Premier League side West Ham.

The former Karabukspor of Turkey striker joined West Ham United on Sunday on loan till the end of the season from Fenerbahce.

Emenike cost West Ham £750,000 and the EPL side have an option to buy him for £8.1 million in the summer.

"Congrats bro,good to have another Nigerian in the EPL" Ighalo tweeted.

Incidentally, Ighalo is the direct replacement of Emenike in the Super Eagles after the big striker opted to quit international football last year.

Emenike was on loan to Al Ain in UAE till the end of the season, but this was cut short last month.
http://africanfootball.com//news/607429/Ighalo-celebrates-Emenikes-arrival-in-EPL
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:07am On Feb 01, 2016
[b][size=14pt]

Musa chase hots up

Southampton join Man United and league leaders in race for Nigeria captain
[/size]

Southampton have now joined Leicester City and Manchester United in the race to sign CSKA Moscow star Ahmed Musa, according to reports from the Mirror.

Musa has been heavily linked with a move away from CSKA in recent weeks, with league leaders Leicester and the Red Devils both keen on the 23-year-old.

The Foxes are pushing hard for his signature, having two bids already rejected by the Russian club.

Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri is adamant in signing Musa this month, and is reportedly preparing a third and final offer to hopefully secure his capture on Monday’s transfer deadline.

However, the King Power owned club will face some more competition from the Saints, who are looking to Musa as a replacement for potentially departing ace Graziano Pelle.

But CSKA will play hard-ball in the hopes of keeping Musa at least till the summer, and will hold out for an offer close to his £22.8m buy-out clause.

The Nigeria captain has made 29 appearances in all competitions, scoring 10 goals.
http://www.footballfancast.com/football-news/southampton-join-man-united-and-league-leaders-in-race-for-nigeria-captain
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:07am On Feb 01, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Foreign coaches circle around Oliseh's job
[/size]

Oliseh

Like vultures, several foreign coaches like Claude Le Roy and Herve Renard, who have excelled in Africa, are now queuing up to lead Nigeria as speculations continue to mount over the future of coach Sunday Oliseh.

“Foreign coaches have indicated strong interest to handle Nigeria and even some of them have appointed Nigerian representatives to get them the job,” a top source disclosed.

Oliseh has blamed lack of financial support to the Super Eagles for the below-par showing of the country at CHAN 2016 in Rwanda, while making all efforts to distance himself from the failure.

Top officials of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have come out to dismiss speculations around the future of Oliseh, but the results of an AFCON 2017 double header against Egypt in March could well spark off another round of speculations.

Renard, who led Cote d’Ivoire to win the AFCON last year, has long been linked with coaching Nigeria since AFCON 2010 in Angola.

He is presently without a job after he was sacked by French Ligue 1 club Lille.

Le Roy only recently quit as Congo coach. He has also worked in DR Congo, Cameroon and Senegal.

He has also variously been linked with the Nigeria post over the years.
http://africanfootball.com/news/607423/Foreign-coaches-circle-around-Oliseh-s-job
[/b]
[size=14pt]
Debut goal thrills Izunna in Denmark
[/size]

Izunna Uzochukwu in action in Russia

Nigeria international Izunna Uzochukwu has told AfricanFootball.com that his debut goal for OB Odense will serve as morale booster for him as he looks forward to a great time back in Denmark.

The former Midtjylland of Denmark forward scored a screamer, a 30-yard shot for OB in a 3-0 spanking of HB Koge.

"I feel good to start at OB in a great way with a goal in my first game. It was a good effort from 30-yards,” said Izunna.

"The goal will boost my morale as I know there is room for improvement. I am still hungry to help the team do well and score as many goals I can."

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/607425/Debut-goal-thrills-Izunna-in-Denmark
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:22am On Feb 01, 2016
[size=14pt]
Osaze nears Olympique Marseille loan
[/size]

Stoke City striker Peter Odemwingie set for Marseille loan

Nigeria striker Osaze Odemwingie is expected to in Marseille for a medical to complete a loan deal to Olympique Marseille from Stoke City.

The 34-year-old Stoke City forward is to seal a loan deal on transfer deadline day and also to discuss his personal terms.

This season, he has played four games for Stoke City after he signed a year's extension at the EPL outfit.

Osaze has already played in France for Lille.

He has also played for Locomotiv Moscow in Russia as well as West Brom and Cardiff City in England.
http://mtnfootball.com/news/607463/Osaze-nears-Olympique-Marseille-loan
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:23am On Feb 01, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Leicester chasing Musa on deadline day
[/size]

Eagles skipper Ahmed Musa

Premier League title challengers Leicester City are reportedly still chasing the signature of Nigerian attacker Ahmed Musa on deadline day of the January transfer window.

The Foxes have already had three bids for the 23-year-old Nigerian striker turned down by his Russian club CSKA Moscow but will reportedly not give up until the deadline is reached tonight.

Musa is also rumoured to be a target for Manchester United and Southampton – the Nigerian has a buy-out clause of £22.8million.

Leicester's biggest offer of £18.7million has been snubbed by CSKA, indicating they will have to go higher if they want to lure him to King Power Stadium.

Should the Foxes be unable to convince the Russians to part with Musa, they could turn their attention to Dwight Gayle at Crystal Palace.
http://mtnfootball.com/news/607451/Leicester-chasing-Musa-on-deadline-day
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:24am On Feb 01, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ahmed Musa: I want to play in EPL but not desperate
[/size]

Eagles skipper Ahmed Musa

Nigeria skipper Ahmed Musa has revealed that he would love to play in the English Premier League amid interests from Leicester City and Manchester United, but at the same time he has insisted he is not desperate about moving to England.

Already, CSKA Moscow have severally rejected Leicester City offer for the forward this winter transfer window, which closes today in England.

The Jos-born player told his Russian army club TV that he would love to play in the EPL and thrilled he is linked to a Manchester United move, but he said his club CSKA Moscow will take the final decision.

"I would like to test myself in a strong championship like the EPL but it will happen when it should happen,” Ahmed Musa said.

"CSKA decide everything that will happen about the transfer. If they agree on a deal to move, I will move, but if they say I can't move, I will stay because I am happy here and not desperate.”

On Manchester United interest to sign him this winter, the former VVV Venlo forward said: "I am excited to hear that Manchester United want me."
http://mtnfootball.com/news/607435/Ahmed-Musa-I-want-to-play-in-EPL-but-not-desperate
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:13pm On Feb 01, 2016
BlackAlbino6:

But this part of the point 4 stands right?

"Also, Oliseh's decision to start Jamiu Alimi instead of Kalu Orji in the last game against Guinea was a surprise to many. Orji helped stabilise the defence after coming on as a substitute in the Eagles' first two games, but he was left on the bench in the game against Guinea.

The coach also persevered with players like Paul Onobi and skipper Chima Akas when it was obvious there were better options on the bench".

Also I don't know why he preferred Prince Aggreh ahead of Eze dubed the Nigerian Hazard? When it obvious that Prince was highly ineffectual.

But, we were conservative and that was what cost us. Even with the poor selection, we would have thrashed the Guineans if we chose to attack and tear them apart.

For the analyst to say that we attacked instead of being conservative is terrible when that suggestion he is making was what Coach Oliseh chose and it was the main thing that cost us. When we pressed, the Guineans looked weak and we created chances.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:22pm On Feb 01, 2016
BlackAlbino6:
[b][size=14pt]
Wenger: “Clever” Iwobi Should Play For England, Not Nigeria
[/size]

By Izuchukwu Okosi:
Arsenal youngster Alex Iwobi should be playing for England’s Three Lions and not the Super Eagles of Nigeria, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has said.

Iwobi was in action for Arsenal on Saturday in their FA Cup fourth round tie against Burnley and Wenger was impressed with the 19-year-old’s performance and believes he is a talent that got away from England’s grasps.

Iwobi pledged his future to Nigeria and has been capped twice by Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh after representing England at U-16, U-17 and U-18 levels.

“I think he’s one England have missed because he plays for Nigeria now,” Wenger told the Guardian. “He should play for England. I don’t think he has played in a competitive game for Nigeria.”

Wenger then revealed he deliberately stopped Iwobi from representing Nigeria last year at the U-23 level.

He added: “I remember I turned him down for an U-23 tournament. But then Nigeria called him up for the first team to force him to go.

“I think he has shown everybody that he is a good football player, again. I find him personally very interesting.”

Wenger went on to praise the youngster, who was brilliant against Burnley on Saturday.
It was Iwobi’s third start and eighth appearance for the club – all of them this season – and Wenger gave a glowing assessment of his game.

“His decision-making is spot on and his awareness is very interesting,” Wenger added. “He’s a boy who, two years ago, not many would have said: ‘This will be.’ He develops very well. He’s very clever. I like the timing and the quality of his decision-making.

He always turns where you want him to turn and he plays the ball where you want him to play the ball. He’s very interesting.”
www.completesportsnigeria.com/wenger-clever-iwobi-should-play-for-england-not-nigeria/
[/b]

How many of our Golden Generation players will England take? Dele Alli, Jordan Hibe, Ross Barkley? Is that not enough? For Peace to reign, England can take Dominic Solanke.

Players full Gidigba. Success, Iheanacho, Awoniyi, Ighalo, Osimhen, Ezeh, K. Nwakali, C. Nwakali, Chukwueze, Matthew, Nwobodo, S. Moses, V. Moses, A. Musa, Iwobi, Blessing Eleke, Yahaya, Chikatara the Kolanut boy, Ndidi, S. Godwin, Sadiq Umar etc.

Information reaching me is that some of our coaches are suffering from Acute Selection Headaches.

TheSuperNerd is carrying out some cool research on this recent development in our coaches in a special lab.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 5:56pm On Feb 01, 2016
I can't wait to see musa in epl...
abeg he should kukuma sign for any English club before the transfer closes

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 8:25pm On Feb 01, 2016
krattoss:
I can't wait to see musa in epl...

abeg he should kukuma sign for any English club before the transfer closes
[color=#00000]Yea love to see him takeon difenders with his speed. Just hope his Club doesn't form too much for him to loose this opportunity. [/color]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 11:44am On Feb 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Manchester City register Iheanacho for Champions League
[/size]

Manchester City Striker Kelechi Iheanacho

Nigeria youth prodigy Kelechi Iheanacho has been rewarded with a place in the UEFA Champions League squad by Manchester City following his impressive performances for the EPL club.

Iheanacho, who netted a treble weekend in a cup game against Aston Villa at the Villa Park, has replaced recuperating Samir Nasri in a 25-man squad submitted by Manuel Pellegrini.

"Yes, he (Iheanacho) will be in the squad,” said Pellegrini on Kelechi's inclusion in the Champions League squad.

“I have decided that. I told Samir Nasri I will take him out from the Champions League list because he needs two more months to be fit.

“We need Kelechi, because with Wilfried Bony injured, we cannot afford any risks if Kun [Sergio Aguero] is injured.

“So, we need Kelechi in the squad.

“It was not a difficult decision, but it's always difficult to tell a player he will not continue in the selections.

“But I think Samir understood. He has already been injured for three months and he understands."

Nasri has been out of action with a hamstring injury for three months.
http://africanfootball.com/news/607616/Manchester-City-register-Iheanacho-for-Champions-League
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 11:44am On Feb 02, 2016
[size=14pt]
Abiola Dauda joins Oshaniwa at Scottish club Hearts
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com//bp_images/2016/02/^1ACCC0917C4905147C4295D12B760F902676B344E80AF029D9^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg[/img]
Striker Abiola Dauda has joined fellow Nigerian Juwon Oshaniwa at Scottish club Hearts on transfer deadline day.

Dauda, 27, moves to Scotland from Dutch club Vitesse Arnhem on loan until the end of the season.

Hearts, who returned to the Scottish top league this season, are third on the table with 41 points from 23 matches.

They are 14 points adrift of champions and league leaders Celtic.
http://africanfootball.com/news/607699/Abiola-Dauda-joins-Oshaniwa-at-Scottish-club-Hearts

1 Like

[b][size=14pt]
Why CSKA stopped Ahmed Musa from EPL move
[/size]

Ahmed Musa in action for CSK

Top Russian club CSKA Moscow refused to sell Nigeria captain Ahmed Musa this winter transfer window despite interest from EPL clubs Manchester United and league leaders Leicester City because they still need him.

It was reported Leicester had several bids turned down by the Russian army club.

It has now been gathered that CSKA want to keep him to help them shine in major competitions at least till the end of the season.

"Ahmed Musa was not be sold by CSKA this winter because they want to do well in the competitions they are in. He is a very important player for them, may be they will allow him move when the season ends," a source disclosed.

Ahmed Musa's contract with CSKA Moscow runs till 2019.

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/607889/Why-CSKA-stopped-Ahmed-Musa-from-EPL-move
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:57am On Feb 02, 2016
[size=14pt]
Ike Uche returns to Spain
[/size]

Ike Uche has quit Tigres in Mexico to return to spain

Tigres UANL of Mexico striker Ikechukwu Uche has joined Spanish club Malaga on loan until June 30, 2016.

Uche who has an EU passport is the fifth player to join Malaga during the winter transfer window.

Uche who recently returned to training from a knee injury, has played for several years in Spain before he joined Mexican team Tigres.

He could play as the main striker, second striker and from the wings.
http://africanfootball.com/news/607784/Ike-Uche-returns-to-Spain

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:08pm On Feb 02, 2016
[size=14pt]
Prince Nnake joins Malaysian club Sabah FA
[/size]

Prince Nnake signs for Fabah FA in Malaysia

Nigerian striker Prince Nnake has joined Malaysian club Sabah FA.

The former Tersana FC striker said he is looking forward to winning trophies with his new team.

"I signed a year’s deal with Sabah FA with an option of another year,” Nnake said.

“I feel good since my arrival here, they have been nice to me and the fans in Malaysia are wonderful.

"I hope to win trophies with the team and do the best I can to leave a good legacy at the club."
http://africanfootball.com/news/607844/Prince-Nnake-joins-Malaysian-club-Sabah-FA

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:08pm On Feb 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Hearts reveal Abiola Dauda was top transfer target
[/size]

Abiola Dauda moves to Scotland

Hearts manager Robbie Neilson has disclosed he is delighted to have snapped up Nigerian forward Abiola Dauda, who was his top transfer target.

The 27-year-old striker has arrived from Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem on loan until the end of the season, subject to international clearance.

Hitman Abiola, Nigerian with Swedish citizenship, counts Red Star Belgrade and Kalmar as his past clubs, where he won a Serbian and Swedish league championship at each.

Speaking to Hearts News, head coach Neilson said: “It’s great to get Abiola signed up and he’s got a good pedigree.

“He was our number one target at the start of the month but we thought the deal wasn’t going to happen, but it was back on again and I’m delighted to get him.

“He’s got pace, power and I’m sure he’ll score goals. The fans will see a top quality player who’s played at the top level in three European countries.”
http://africanfootball.com/news/607795/Hearts-reveal-Abiola-Dauda-was-top-transfer-target
[/b]

1 Like

[size=14pt]
Hull City reject late bids for Aluko
[/size]

Hull City forward Sone Aluko

English Championship side Hull City rejected late bids from four other Championship teams for Sone Aluko.

Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Fulham and Brighton and Hove Albion made enquiries on signing the Nigeria forward on loan till the end of the season transfer deadline day but were turned down by Hull.

Aluko featured for Hull in the FA Cup at the weekend, but has been in and out of the side this season.

The 26-year-old Nigeria forward has made only five starts in the Championship, plus a further 11 substitute appearances, but has scored only one goal
http://africanfootball.com/news/607791/Hull-City-reject-late-bids-for-Aluko

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 12:11pm On Feb 02, 2016
[size=14pt]
Igiebor sees red in Israel
[/size]

Nosa Igiebor

Nigeria midfielder Nosa Igiebor was sent off on Monday while in action for his Israeli club Maccabi Tel Aviv in a league game which ended 2-2 at Beitar Jerusalem.

Maccabi Tel Aviv are second on the league table with 48 points from 21 games, while Beitar Jerusalem are third with 36 points from 21 games.

The former Real Betis player was given a straight red card in the 90th minute.

Igiebor was denied a match winner in the 89th minute, when his goal-bound shot was deflected to safety by Claudemir Ferreira on the goal line.
http://africanfootball.com/news/607786/Igiebor-sees-red-in-Israel
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 12:14pm On Feb 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Emenike: My goals will count in EPL
[/size]

Emmanuel Emenike in action for Fenerbache
Nigeria striker Emmanuel Emenike has told AfricanFootball.com he is ready to justify his move to West Ham United with goals as he is aware of the high expectations.

Emenike further said he is thrilled to fulfill his long-time dream of playing in the EPL after lots of speculations linking him to clubs in the league in the past.

"Something bigger is expected from me, both from my fans, West Ham fans and English football fans as a whole, I am aware of the big responsibility before the move and I will be glad to make great impact in the league,” the 28-year-old Emenike told AfricanFootball.com

“As for me, I think this is the best time for me to play in the EPL, there has been lots of speculations linking me to a possible move to England in the last four years but here I am now.

"It is a thrilling feeling, a fulfilled dream and I am ready to prove my commitment and confidence on the pitch.”

He added: “I believe this is God’s time for me to play in England, so I have no regret over the clubs I had signed and played for in the past.

"I always believe I still have something great in me to prove I am still a better player for a respectable and great club like West Ham.

“I have had EPL links since I was in Russia, my brothers got calls from some people over a link to a top club in London to be precise, but I wasn’t ready then because I was then learning and trying to improve my game.

“I know the challenges in scoring against some good defences in England, it’s something you have to quickly adapt and make instant impact.

“I want to justify my move and hope to light the league with goals.”

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/607798/Emenike-My-goals-will-count-in-EPL
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 12:40pm On Feb 02, 2016
[size=14pt]
Stoke City reject Osaze loan to Marseille
[/size]

Stoke City forward Peter Odewingie

Stoke City have rejected an attempt by Marseille to sign Osaze Odemwingie until the end of the season.

Osaze, no stranger to deadline-day drama, was reported to be flying out to the south of France.

But boss Mark Hughes has put the break on any move - just 48 hours after including Odemwingie in his starting line-up at Crystal Palace.

The veteran winger is out of contract at the end of the season, however, and a long shot to remain long term.

http://africanfootball.com/news/607520/Stoke-City-reject-Osaze-loan-to-Marseille

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 12:40pm On Feb 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
West Ham hope Emenike brings goals
[/size]

Emmanuel Emenike

West Ham United's Joint-Chairman David Sullivan says he hopes Nigeria international Emmanuel Emenike will score bags of goals for his new club.

“We hope he (Emenike) will bring goals and we have an option to sign him at the end of the season," Sullivan told his club's official website.

Sullivan and club secretary Andrew Pincher worked hard to get the deal done after having to negotiate with both Fenerbahce and Al-Ain where Emenike has been on loan in the United Arab Emirates this season.

“Our manager knows him from Turkey & Russia and says he is a very good player. He is very fast and you can never have enough goals or pace in any team.

“It took two weeks of tortuous negotiations and hard work by myself and our club secretary Andrew Pincher to get the player to the club. It was one of the most difficult deals we have ever done as we were dealing with two clubs not one.

“I would publicly like to thank Andrew, as he really is an unsung hero of the club, for all his hard work on this transfer, all the other transfers we have done in the last few years and the dozens we tried to do and failed with.”

Emenike arrived at the Boleyn Ground on Sunday and is now hoping to be a big success in the Premier League this season.
http://africanfootball.com/news/607455/West-Ham-hope-Emenike-brings-goals
[/b]

1 Like

[b][size=14pt]
Chikatara off to Wydad Casablanca next week
[/size]

Chisom Chikatara vs Niger at CHAN 2016

by Samm Audu

Abia Warriors have disclosed that CHAN 2016 sensation Chisom Chikatara will join his new club Wydad Casablanca next week.

“Everything has been agreed and both the clubs and the player are excited,” said Abia Warriors chairman Emeka Inyama.

“The boy had offers from across the world, but in the end we settled for WAC because they were the most serious bidders for the player.

“We now hope to be in Morocco next week where the player will be presented to the fans and media.”

WAC local rivals Raja Casablanca, Egypt’s Zamalek as well as SuperSport United from South Africa were among the clubs who lined up to sign the 21-year-old striker.

Chikatara scored 13 goals last season and he fired four goals at the CHAN in Rwanda.
http://africanfootball.com/news/607528/Chikatara-off-to-Wydad-Casablanca-next-week
[/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting? / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.