Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,977 members, 7,980,510 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 04:15 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (141) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (260359 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:05pm On Mar 21, 2016
Who do you think can our super sub in place of Ighalo in case he fails to find the back of the net? looking at the options we have
Icon4s:

See, in national team action u dnt jst base your players' assessment on club performances in the last 1 or 2 months.

You and I have seen Ighalo on several occasions and we know what he is capable of. He has not scored in the EPL for some time doesn't mean if he is gifted with opportunities against Egypt he will nt convert them. Football is like that. You enjoy a period of continues banging of goals and then another period without goals. 14 EPL goals for a whole season already makes him a prolific striker.
Ighalo is by far our best center forward option.

National team duties are quite different from club duties. Experience counts for much especially in a big game.
That is why I am nt moved by the performances of the likes of Chidozie Awaziem, Ehizibue, and the rest. The technical committee I am sure have taken note of them for future call-ups.

A young defender starting 2 or 3 games for the senior team of a club in my opinion is not enough for me to press for an inclusion of that player in the senior national team for a game of the nature. At best I can for now press for his inclusion in the U23 and maybe in the games against Chad and Tanzania (if he continues playing). It is nt an issue of "bc Awaziem starts for Fc Porto he is now automatically better than Ambrose and Obaobona". You cannot rule-out the place of experience and co-ordination in the center back position.

I, jst like most coaches believe so much in experience at center back. We can play a debutant at Right or Left back positions bt not at center back bc it would be too risky more especially in a would be tension soaked game. We are all not so comfortable with Ambrose - Obaobona CB back pair bt believe me that is the best pair we can afford for now.

My hope is for us to build a new Center back pair from Rio Olympics and graduate them together into the Super Eagles. It could be Awaziem-Omeruo pair or which ever pair that makes the starting 11. Football is a Team sport and co-ordination in the area of defense matters. U saw how the Omeruo and Obaobona CB pair worked for as at the 2013 AFCON. Throwing in defenders at random has been our major problem and it will continue to hurt us if we continue in that trend

The young players will definitely get their turn but first we need to manage the situation we find in our hands now.
Good one there Sir, but at the same time am not too comfortable that the Coach had to let go of Chisom Chikatara. At least he should have asked him join the Olympic team.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 4:05pm On Mar 21, 2016
forgiveness:

grin You know now! grin But i will not be happy if they don't play him.

Even if it is in the 88th minute abi? or even 89th minute of the leg in Alexandria. grin

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:16pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Echiejile To Arrive In Eagles’ Camp Later Today
[/size]

AS Monaco defender, Elderson Echiejile, is expected to arrive Lagos, Nigeria today (Monday), and immediately head to the Super Eagles camp in Abuja despite missing his direct flight from Paris to Abuja Sunday night, Completesportsnigeria.com can report.

Echiejile who starred in Monaco's victory over Paris Saint Germain‎ the same Sunday, is expected to meet the stipulated deadline, Completesportnigeria.com also gathered.

"He missed his flight Sunday night after the game against PSG," an impeccable source close to the player told Completesportsnigeria.com.

"But he will make it to camp before the end of Monday as he should land in Lagos this evening (Monday)."

The Nigeria defender has chalked up 18 appearances this season in the Ligue 1.

Alex Iwobi, John Mikel Obi, Odion Ighalo, Aminu Umar, Oghenekaro Etebo, Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Chibuzor Okonkwo, Kalu Orji, Ifeanyi Matthew, Matthew Etim are already in camp.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/echiejile-arrive-super-eagles-camp-later-today/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:17pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Mikel Pleased With New Chelsea Role
[/size]

Super Eagles midfielder, John Mikel Obi, has stated in clear terms that he is pleased with his role in the Chelsea squad despite

only regaining his place in the team under interim boss, Guus Hiddink.

In March's edition of the Chelsea magazine titled 'Elegant Enforcer', Mikel revealed how he has developed over the years playing in the defensive midfield role for a decade at the club.

"I love doing my defensive duties, but at the same time, I love having the ball and always trying to be available so we can play out from the back," Mikel said.

"This is something we’ve talked about, something the manager has stressed – trying to play out from the back so we can always be in control of the game. I think doing this we have much more possession of the ball.

"I like having the ball and making the team play. When I was young, my natural position wasn’t as a defensive midfielder, so maybe that gives me a bit of an edge."

Mikel who is expected to make his wealth of experience count when the Super Eagles of Nigeria tackle Egypt in this week's first leg of their 2017 African Nations Cup double header, recalled how he was dazed by the calibre of players he walked into on his first day at the Chelsea dressing room.

"I came into the dressing room that day literally shaking," Mikel recalls. "I saw the players that were in there – the likes ofJohn Terry, Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba, Claude Makelele, Geremi, Michael Essien, Michael Ballack, Andriy Shevchenko – it was crazy. And I was just 19," he said.

"I was shaking the whole day because I couldn’t talk to any of them. I didn’t know what to say to guys like that. They were really nice guys, but it was scary. It can be tough coming into a dressing room like that as a younger player. You had to earn the right to be among them‎.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/mikel-pleased-new-chelsea-role/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:17pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Roma's Salah, Arsenal's Elneny join Egypt's training for Nigeria
[/size]
Egypt's first match against Nigeria in the Africa Cup of Nations is on Monday away while the second clash will be on Tuesday 29 March at home
Eslam Omar
[img]http://english.ahram.org.eg/Media/News/2016/3/21/2016-635941678815254407-525.jpg[/img]
File photo: Egypt's Mohamed Salah, center, trying to get by Ghana's Jerry Akaminko, left, and Rashid Sumaila in Africa's qualifying playoffs. (Reuters)

The Egyptian duo staring in the European leagues, Roma winger Mohamed Salah and Arsenal midfielder Mohamed Elneny, kicked-off their national duty training ahead of Friday's African Cup of Nations qualifier against Nigeria.

The two Pharaohs stars have started their final trainings for the anticipated away clash on Monday afternoon. The second leg will be held in Egypt on Tuesday 29 March.

The rising Roma and Egyptian star Salah, who was acknowledged for his performance against Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League two weeks ago, joined the Italian giants last summer after an eye-catching performance in his loan to Fiorentina from Chelsea.

Arsenal midfielder Mohamed Elneny, who began to book a regular place in the starting lineups, became the first Egyptian ever to score against Barcelona in an official match last week during the Gunners' 3-1 away defeat in the UEFA Champions League.

The 23-year-old star Elneny joined the Premier League club in January from Swiss side FC Basel.

The seven-time African champions Egypt won the tournament in their last three participations (2006, 2008 and 2010) but failed to qualify for the next three tournament under helms of various managers including Hassan Shehata, the three-time champions, his assistant Shawky Gharib and American Bob Bradley.

The current Argentinean manager Hector Cuper, 59, promised to make Egypt return to their glory days insisting he is "confident that the team is capable of overcoming Nigeria."
http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/6/52/193506/-.aspx
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 4:19pm On Mar 21, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
Who do you think can our super sub in place of Ighalo in case he fails to find the back of the net? looking at the options we have

Good one there Sir, but at the same time am not too comfortable that the Coach had to let go of Chisom Chikatara. At least he should have asked him join the Olympic team.

Aaron Samuel to me is our second choice CF. He and Emenike played as the two strikers when we needed to play 4-4-2 during the last days of Keshi.

I believe Siasia would want to start with a 4-5-1. If we are winning comfortably and time is far spent. He might do a like for like replacement of Ighalo with Samuel, so as to rest Ighalo for the second leg.

If God forbid Nigeria needs a goal urgently, we may need to pull out one of the CM or AM in the 4-5-1 set-up and introduce Samuel to pair up with Ighalo in a 4-4-2 formation. I know my Iheanacho fans here would prefer we pair him with Ighalo if we want to change to a 4-4-2. But I will say we need Iheanacho more in the AM position where we dnt have much quality/depth right now. Depending on how the game is going Iheanacho could come in to replace any of the AMs that starts the match. Or even one of the wingers and add bite to the attack from the wings, preferably the Right wing.

Chikatara will still have his time maybe he would be called to the U23 Camp in future friendlies. Remember Isaac Success too ia nt in any of the two games. So no be only Chikatara.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 4:36pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Egypt coach hands Nigeria favourites tag
by Sammy Wejinya
[/size]

Osama Nabih © YOUM7

Assistant coach of Egypt’s national team, Osama Nabih, has identified three factors that could derail his side’s chances of posting creditable results against Nigeria in this month’s 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) qualifying matches.

Three-time champions, Nigeria, will face Egypt in the first of two 2017 Afcon qualifiers at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna on March 25 with the return fixture coming up four days later at the Borg El-Arab Stadium in Alexandria.

Nabih says Nigeria are favourites for three reasons.

“The first difficulty is Nigeria is a big name on the African continent, despite failing to reach the last edition of the Africa Cup.

“Nigeria is coached by Samson Siasia who reached the Olympic Games by (winning a silver medal) first with the Under-23 team.

“Moreover, Nigeria have 22 foreign-based players alongside well-prepared ones in the domestic Nigerian league. So Siasia possesses all the tools that lead to success.

“Despite the difficulty of the Nigeria game, we are working to improve our chance of qualifying for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations finals in the coming Nigeria game,” Nabih told Egyptian media outfit, www.nilesports.com.

Egypt lead Group G with six points, two ahead of second-placed Nigeria.

Only the group winners are guaranteed automatic qualification for the 2017 Afcon.
http://www.supersport.com/football/egypt/news/160321/Egypt_coach_hands_Nigeria_favourites_tag
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 4:38pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian police chief gives Siasia tips to beat Egypt
[/size]

Nigeria police chief Arase with Eagles coach Siasia

by Samm Audu

Nigeria’s No 1 cop Solomon Arase has urged coach Samson Siasia to line up a water-tight defence for the Super Eagles to beat Egypt in a must-win AFCON qualifier on Friday in Kaduna.

“Samson Siasia should make sure that our defence is very solid and that we don’t concede any goal. If we concede any goal here (in Kaduna) there is an advantage for the team that is visiting,” said the Inspector General of Police, who played football at academical level.

“Once we are able to ensure that our defence is good and we are able to score because we have the assets (the players) to be able to do that, I think we are home and dry.”

The country’s top policeman also vowed to ensure adequate security for Friday’s showdown inside what is expected to be a jammed the Ahmadu Bello Stadium in Kaduna.

The IGP disclosed that the match is very crucial and demands full attention so that fans and could enjoy the match without any molestation and devoid of crowd violence.

Siasia and the top Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) officials led by president Amaju Pinnick met with the IGP in his office on Wednesday where they discussed at length on the importance of providing adequate security for the match.

“We are not going to record any issues in Kaduna (as regards the AFCON qualifying match against Egypt). I have already had an interactive session with (the Super Eagles Coach) Samson Siasia and (the Nigeria Football Federation President) Amaju Pinnick,” he said.

“We have put in place a very robust security network.

“All we are looking for is to celebrate after the match. That is exactly what we are looking forward to. So, there is not going to be any security challenge.”

http://africanfootball.com//news/620736/Nigerian-police-chief-gives-Siasia-tips-to-beat-Egypt
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by tbaba1234: 4:43pm On Mar 21, 2016
Icon4s:

That is why I am nt moved by the performances of the likes of Chidozie Awaziem, Ehizibue, and the rest. The technical committee I am sure have taken note of them for future call-ups.

A young defender starting 2 or 3 games for the senior team of a club in my opinion is not enough for me to press for an inclusion of that player in the senior national team for a game of the nature. .

Way too much belief in the NFF technical committee.

Ambrose was not considered good enough for even the bench in Celtic's last game.

Oboabana is on the bench in Turkey.

The best assessment of a player's form is their club games.

Our starting CBs can't make the bench in inferior leagues.

Awaziem has started more than 2-3 games now. He is considered Porto's best defender by many of the fans.

Quality does not hide itself. Omeruo played just one friendly for Nigeria at right back before going on to play CB, most of the nation's cup. He was not selected for the first game.A kid with one friendly appearance at RB displaced your most experienced CB.

Remember Omeruo was playing in Dutch league then.

Invite Awaziem or Ehizibue and see if they will not pick a place in the Eagles. Based on the quality I see in the team, I have no doubt that they would.

Apart from Omeruo and Balogun, the rest are not better than Otigba and Awaziem.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 4:55pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Confident Cuper issues strong warning to Nigeria
[/size]

Egypt's coach Hector Cuper

by Stephane DeSaintsalvy

Egypt national coach Hector Cuper has warned Nigeria that they must not expect a walk in the Park when the two sides face each other in a double header in the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

“We can beat Nigeria and it's impossible to repeat what happened against Ghana when the team lost 6-1,” Cuper said in a press conference on Sunday, recalling the Pharaohs’ embarrassing 7-3 aggregate defeat to the Black Stars in the play-offs of the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

“I usually don't promise any certain outcomes but I'm confident that we are capable of overcoming Nigeria.

“All people know the importance of Nigeria game and this is a double-edged weapon. If we win, that will be deemed a success and if we lose, we will be subjected to harsh comments and our work during the past period will be ruined.

“I have the utmost confidence in the abilities of my players.”

The seven-time African champions will battle the Super Eagles in Kaduna on Friday, before hosting their opponents at Alexandria's Borg El-Arab Stadium four days later.

http://africanfootball.com//news/620715/Confident-Cuper-issues-strong-warning-to-Nigeria
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 4:56pm On Mar 21, 2016
[size=14pt]
Nigeria's Boniface saves Cypriot club again
[/size]

Matthew Boniface

Nigerian striker Matthew Boniface scored to ensure his Cypriot top division club Aris Limassol secured a point after going down 2-0 at AEL Limassol.

The game finished in a thrilling 2-2 draw.

Boniface scored in the 35th minute to put his side back into the game and assisted Maraguodakis for the equaliser in the 55th minute.

He has now scored six goals in 14 games.

He was replaced by Ranos in the 75th minute.

http://africanfootball.com//news/620760/Nigerias-Boniface-saves-Cypriot-club-again

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 4:56pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Mikel arrives Eagles’ camp as team depart for Kaduna
Taiwo Adelu
[/size]

Mikel Obi

Midfielder John Mikel Obi has arrived Abuja camp of Nigeria’s Super Eagles ahead of the qualifying matches against the Pharaohs of Egypt.

While Arsenal star, Alex Iwobi hit camp on Sunday night, Chelsea star, Mikel flew in Monday morning from London. He arrived alongside Efe Ambrose who plays for Celtic of Scotland.

Other players who are in camp as at Monday morning (8am) are Mikel Obi, Alex Iwobi, Efe Ambrose, Shehu Abdullahi, Aminu Umar, Ike Ezenwa, Etebo Oghenekaro.

Team Coordinator, Patrick Pascal disclosed that more players are expected to arrive camp any moment from now.

Alex Iwobi is also in camp

He said those expected from overseas and the home based players who were away to play weekend’s game in the Nigeria Professional Football League are being expected with no training likely to hold today.

He, however, revealed that the Eagles leave for Kaduna on Tuesday after the morning training session, at the Abuja National Stadium, which will be open to the media.

Nigeria’s senior team will play against Egypt on Good Friday, 25 March in the first leg of the qualifiers for the AFCON 2017 in Gabon and the return leg will hold four days later in Alexandria, Egypt.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2016/03/21/mikel-arrives-eagles-camp-as-team-depart-for-kaduna/
[/b]

1 Like

[b][size=14pt]
Iwobi conspiracy points to summer axing of Arsenal favourites
[/size]

A planned 11th-hour intervention by the FA could yet prevent Arsenal teenager Alex Iwobi making his competitive Nigeria debut in Friday’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifier with Egypt.

The winger has already represented the country of his birth twice in a non-competitive capacity, but will be off limits to England, whom he has played for at Under-16, U17 and U18 level, should he feature for the Super Eagles this week.

According to the Mirror Online, ‘FA chiefs’ regard Iwobi as an England international of the future and their last-ditch bid to convince him to switch allegiances has nothing to do with the fact that he scored at the weekend.

Yes, they may have waited until FOUR DAYS before the Arsenal tyro’s potential competitive debut in a Nigeria shirt before pleading with him to declare for the Three Lions, a simple conversation they could’ve conducted many months ago, but the St George’s Park big shots believe they’ve spotted a rising star.

It’s a sentiment echoed by Iwobi’s club boss Arsene Wenger, who is believed to have told the FA selectors the 19-year-old will play a prominent part for the Gunners in the future and they should persuade him to commit to England.

Assuming there’s some truth to the statement and Wenger’s view is genuine, if his future with Arsenal and England is bright, then the same cannot be said of either Theo Walcott or Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Forever locked in a battle to regain form or fitness, the pair have endured frustrating seasons at the Emirates.

Indeed, Iwobi has been thrust into the first-team fray thanks to Oxlade-Chamberlain being in the sick bay and Walcott playing so poorly.

The former Southampton academy graduates have commandeered a wide spot in Arsenal’s attack for several seasons and for as long as both remain on the Gunners’ books their Lagos-born understudy’s path to regular action remains blocked.

If Wenger sees Iwobi becoming a fixture at club level and, eventually, locking down a spot on the right for England, it has to come at the expense of either Walcott or Oxlade-Chamberlain.

http://news.bwin.com/en/football-betting/premier-league/iwobi-conspiracy-points-to-summer-axing-of-arsenal-favourites,101145.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 4:57pm On Mar 21, 2016
[size=14pt]
Victor Ikpeba Calls For Peace Ahead Egypt Clash
[/size]

Retired Nigeria international Victor Ikpeba has called on stakeholders to put their differences aside and support the national team beat Egypt in the African Cup of Nations qualifiers.

Days leading up to the clash against the North Africans, ex-Super Eagles manager Sunday Oliseh and the Nigeria Football Federation had taken jabs at each other after the former Juventus midfielder quit his post over unpaid entitlements.

“It’s time! Let us put all controversy behind us and focus on supporting our @NGSuperEagles to victory against Egypt,” Ikpeba posted on Twitter.

Ikpeba starred for Nigeria at the 2000 African Cup of Nations and notched a memorable brace in the 4-2 defeat of Tunisia in a Group D fixture.

Igho Kingsely

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18338

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 5:12pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Okocha Reveals Arsenal Starlet Iwobi Has Chosen Nigeria Over England
[/size]

Former Nigeria international Emmanuel Okocha has revealed that his nephew, Arsenal’s man of the moment Alex Iwobi, will not turn his back on Nigeria, amid reports in the British press that he has been approached by the FA to represent England in competitive games.

The 19-year-old Iwobi has 11 caps in total for the youth teams of England, all of them in non-competitive fixtures, and has played two friendlies for Nigeria, meaning there is still a window open for him to change his mind and represent England as things stand.

“Iwobi is here in Nigeria for the match against Egypt, so hopefully if he plays a part, he can no longer play for England, that will be it,” said Emmanuel Okocha to allnigeriasoccer.com.

“He wants to play for Nigeria and that is why he is here.”

Iwobi trained with Nigeria’s Olympic National Team a year ago but could not make his competitive debut against Gabon in an All Africa Games qualifier because there were uncertainties regarding if he needed approval from Fifa before switching his international allegiance.

The offensive all-rounder netted his first senior goal for the Gunners last weekend against the Toffees.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18340
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 5:12pm On Mar 21, 2016
[size=14pt]
Watford Marksman Ighalo On His Way To Abuja To Join Nigeria Squad
[/size]

Watford marksman Odion Ighalo has landed in Nigeria to link up with the Super Eagles ahead of their make or mar clash with Egypt in Kaduna this coming Friday.

The 26-year-old just landed in Lagos and is on his way to Abuja to link up with his international teammates.

Rumours had been rife that Ighalo would not be fit for the showdown against the North Africans but those suggestions were put to bed when he played the full game at the Vic this past weekend against Stoke City.

The former Udinese, Granada and Lyn Oslo man netted against Chad in the Super Eagles first home game of the AFCON qualifying series.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18339

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 5:13pm On Mar 21, 2016
IGP, Solomon Arase had said well. We need a waterproof tight defense against the pharaohs of Egypt.. Do we have the quality to stop them??..

Our Strikers should take all the available opportunities as they come and put the pharaohs to the sword.. No room for rued chances wasted..

We need to hit them high and hard till the cookies crumble.. Our attackers should go through them like knife goes through butter.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 5:16pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Aaron Samuel, Odion Ighalo,Godfrey Oboabona Hit Super Eagles Camp
[/size]

Nine invited players have arrived at the Bolton White Apartment camp of the Super Eagles, the Nigeria Football Federation has announced via official sources.

Portuguese-based stopper Abdullahi Shehu was still being expected in camp as at 1400 hours on Monday, contrary to the earlier reports that emanated from the Federation.

Arsenal’s Alex Iwobi, Obi Mikel(Chelsea), Aminu Umar(Osmanlispor FK), Ikechukwu Ezenwa(Sunshine Stars) and Portugal-bound Etebo Oghenekaro were already in camp on Monday morning.

The latest players to join the camp are Odion Ighalo(Watford), Aaron Samuel(CSKA Moscow), Godfrey Oboabona(Rizespor) and Ifeanyi Mathew(Kano Pillars).

The squad will resume preparations for the AFCON qualifiers against Egypt this evening, with a training session scheduled to take place.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18343
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 5:23pm On Mar 21, 2016
[size=14pt]
Official : Heanor Town Announce Signing Of Former Wolves Player Simeon Osheboke
[/size]

Heanor Town have snapped up Simeon Osheboke, formerly on the books of Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division side Mickleover Sports.

On his curriculum vitae, Osheboke previously turned out for Holbrook Sports before penning a deal with Mickleover Sports.three years ago.

Born in Nigeria, he was on the payroll of Wolverhampton Wanderers prior to his switch to Mickleover Sports.

The financial terms and duration of contract the player signed were not disclosed.

Igho Kingsley
http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18344

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 5:37pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
EXCLUSIVE: ONOBI FINALLY AGREES TO FLY TO FINLAND AND COMPLETE KuPS TRANSFER
[/size]

Paul Onobi has finally put to rest the controversy surrounding his move to Kuopion Palloseura (KuPS) of Finland after agreeing to fly to Finland to complete the remaining formalities of the deal.

He will now travel to Finland tomorrow to team up with the three other Nigerians at the team, the trio of Azubuike Egwuekwe,Paul Onobi and Aliyu Abubakar who are already there.

The 23 year old initially refused to travel to Finland insisting on receiving his sign on fee before leaving the shores of Nigeria but owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal an agreement has been found between both parties.

We gathered the brouhaha started when an agent named Segun who claims to be representing the Sunshine Stars midfielder traveled to Finland to have talks on the player’s behalf but was rebuffed by KuPS.

KuPS insisted they are already in talks with their contact in Nigeria who made the player sign the dotted lines on their behalf and won’t talk to a third party.

Frustrated by the refusal of the Finnish team to speak with him, Segun returned back to Nigeria and ironed out issues as directed by the club with their contacts.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/21/exclusive-onobi-finally-agrees-to-fly-to-finland-and-complete-kups-transfer/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 5:37pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
IWOBI NOT INTERESTED IN ENGLAND LATE ATTEMPT TO LURE HIM
[/size]

Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal that Arsenal teen sensation Alex Iwobi is fully commited to the Super Eagles of Nigeria despite a late attempt from England to lure him into their national team set up.

“It has been on for a while but the last few weeks it went a notch further but am fully committed to Nigeria and am focus on the Egypt game” He told owngoalnigeria from the Super Eagles camp.

England according to the electronic edition of the daily mirror tried to talk the 19 year old into switching allegiance back to them after representing them at youth level but met a brick wall in his family who want him to follow in the footstep of his uncle former Nigeria captain Austin Okocha.

However he still remain eligible for England unless he plays in this Friday AFCON 2017 qualifiers against Egypt as he has only played two friendly games for Nigeria.

He was the first to arrive the camp of the Super Eagles and the man who scored his first top flight goal for Arsenal on Saturday in their 2-0 win over Everton is very much at home with interim manager of the Super Eagles Samson Siasia who made him switch allegiance to Nigeria a year ago.

Siasia who still doubles as Nigeria U-23 coach invited then 18 year old Iwobi to train with his team in 2015 and sang the youngster praise after then although he never got to play for the team as the Super Eagles called him up.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/21/iwobi-not-interested-in-england-late-attempt-to-lure-him/
[/b]

1 Like

[b][size=14pt]
EXCLUSIVE PICTURE AS AKPEYI HEADS TO NIGERIA FOR AFCON 2017 QUALIFIERS
[/size]

Daniel Akpeyi has flown out of South Africa to join the Super Eagles ahead of their AFCON 2017 qualifiers against Egypt owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal after our cameras sighted him at the departure lounge of the Oliver Tambo airport in Johannesburg

The Chippa United goal tender was behind the post yesterday for Chippa United in their 2-2 draw against Maritzburg United.

29 year old Akpeyi was second choice to former Super Eagles captain and net minder Vincent Enyeama has been in the international wilderness since the exit of former coach Stephen Keshi.

He has one cap for Nigeria but he is well respected locally within the Nigeria football league where he has turned out Gabros International,Nassarawa United, Heartland FC and Warri Wolves.

In the Eagles camp he will push Carl Ikeme of English Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers for the number one spot for the back to back game against group G leaders Egypt.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/21/akpeyi-heads-to-nigeria-for-afcon-2017-qualifiers/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:04pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
MORE BRIBERY ALLEGATIONS ON SAMSON SIASIA
[/size]

Interim coach of the Super Eagles Samson Siasia is once again in the spotlight regarding another allegation of receiving bribes for most the players in his U-23 team for the friendly game against Brazil.

A text message is presently being circulated to most media agency by an aggrieved soccer player agent who alleged players who made the team for the Brazil friendly paid within $4-5,000 to be a part of the team.

The message further alleged that two agents namely Marcelo Houseman from Argentina and Arsalan Urmat from Turkey own the chunk of the players on the trip to Brazil.

This is the second time in a space of one week that Siasia has been accused of favouritism in his selection for the U-23 and Super Eagles as owngoalnigeria.com exclusively reported that Kano Pillars forward Prince Aggrey was dropped from the Super Eagles camp after he refused to work with an agent close to the Super Eagles interim coach.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/21/more-bribery-allegations-on-samson-siasia/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:10pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles first training Tuesday morning in Abuja
[/size]

Eagles Star OnaziNigeria’s Super Eagles will have their first training in Abuja Tuesday morning ahead AFCON 2017 qualifiers against Egypt, officials have disclosed.

Eagles spokesman Toyin Ibitoye said Tuesday morning training in Abuja will be from 7am at the Abuja National Stadium and the squad are then expected to travel by road to Kaduna thereafter, where they will also train at the match venue Ahmadu Bello Stadium.

He said Monday has been set aside for the players to arrive the training camp.

Tuesday’s training is open to the public.

He further said a total of nine players have so far arrived the training camp.

The players include Chelsea star Mikel Obi, Alex Iwobi from Arsenal, Portugal-based Shehu Abdullahi as well as Umar Aminu, who is based in Turkey.

A good number of players are due in Abuja later today.
http://africanfootball.com/news/620788/Eagles-first-training-Tuesday-morning-in-Abuja
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:10pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Leon Balogun fit for Egypt return clash - NFF
[/size]

Balogun (left)

Injury-hit Germany-based defender Leon Balogun could still play a role in an AFCON double-header against Egypt according to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

According to the NFF, Balogun, who is nursing hamstring complaint, is being programmed for the return leg in Alexandria on Tuesday next week.

Balogun's Bundesliga club Mainz 05 announced the defender's injury, adding he will be out for some time.

In the meantime, England –based goalkeeper Carl Ikeme, defenders Efe Ambrose and Abdullahi Shehu, midfielders Kelechi Iheanacho and Azubuike Okechukwu and forwards Ahmed Musa, Moses Simon, Victor Moses and Fanendo Adi were being expected to land in Abuja on Monday night.

South Africa –based goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi, defenders Stanley Amuzie and Elderson Echiejile and midfielder Ogenyi Onazi would arrive in Lagos on Monday night and travel to Abuja by first flight on Tuesday.

Arsenal prodigy Alex Iwobi was the first overseas –based player to arrive in the Super Eagles’ camp in Abuja, on Sunday, before Turkey–based Umar Aminu and Godfrey Oboabona, and John Mikel Obi, Odion Ighalo and Aaron Samuel.

The Super Eagles will arrive in the city of Kaduna, venue of Friday’s against the Pharaohs of Egypt, on Tuesday.
http://africanfootball.com/news/620804/Leon-Balogun-fit-for-Egypt-return-clash-NFF
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by tbaba1234: 6:12pm On Mar 21, 2016
BlackAlbino6:
[b][size=14pt]
MORE BRIBERY ALLEGATIONS ON SAMSON SIASIA
[/size]

Interim coach of the Super Eagles Samson Siasia is once again in the spotlight regarding another allegation of receiving bribes for most the players in his U-23 team for the friendly game against Brazil.

A text message is presently being circulated to most media agency by an aggrieved soccer player agent who alleged players who made the team for the Brazil friendly paid within $4-5,000 to be a part of the team.

The message further alleged that two agents namely Marcelo Houseman from Argentina and Arsalan Urmat from Turkey own the chunk of the players on the trip to Brazil.

This is the second time in a space of one week that Siasia has been accused of favouritism in his selection for the U-23 and Super Eagles as owngoalnigeria.com exclusively reported that Kano Pillars forward Prince Aggrey was dropped from the Super Eagles camp after he refused to work with an agent close to the Super Eagles interim coach.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/21/more-bribery-allegations-on-samson-siasia/
[/b]

Given some of the players invited, i won't be surprised

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by forgiveness: 6:23pm On Mar 21, 2016
Icon4s:

Who are those clowns in that pix u posted as Super Eagles?

Bc of that CHAN now every d!ck and Harry can now claim Super Eagles player.
Please players in that pix there are not the Super Eagles. Those ones are CHAN eagles. grin
See as the numbers 11, 18, 17 and 3 them put hand for knee like suwegbe grin

See pix of Super Eagles here:

grin

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 7:31pm On Mar 21, 2016
tbaba1234:

Way too much belief in the NFF technical committee.

Ambrose was not considered good enough for even the bench in Celtic's last game.

Oboabana is on the bench in Turkey.

The best assessment of a player's form is their club games.

Our starting CBs can't make the bench in inferior leagues.

Awaziem has started more than 2-3 games now. He is considered Porto's best defender by many of the fans.

Quality does not hide itself. Omeruo played just one friendly for Nigeria at right back before going on to play CB, most of the nation's cup. He was not selected for the first game.A kid with one friendly appearance at RB displaced your most experienced CB.

Remember Omeruo was playing in Dutch league then.

Invite Awaziem or Ehizibue and see if they will not pick a place in the Eagles. Based on the quality I see in the team, I have no doubt that they would.

Apart from Omeruo and Balogun, the rest are not better than Otigba and Awaziem.

Omeruo was introduced in a friendly and at Right back u said. Recall i said young players can b more easily experimented at Right and Left Backs which was also Omeruo's case. Recall also i said Awawiem may b called up for d Chad or Tanzania game. Fact is u do nt experiment at CB in a crutial game.

I am banking on the experience of Ambrose and Obaobona to do the job. Fact that they may nt b regular in their clubs doesnt mean dey have lost steam and fitness as defenders.They are what we've got now and we have to make do with them.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 7:32pm On Mar 21, 2016
BlackAlbino6:
[b][size=14pt]
Leon Balogun fit for Egypt return clash - NFF
[/size]

Balogun (left)

Injury-hit Germany-based defender Leon Balogun could still play a role in an AFCON double-header against Egypt according to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

According to the NFF, Balogun, who is nursing hamstring complaint, is being programmed for the return leg in Alexandria on Tuesday next week.

Balogun's Bundesliga club Mainz 05 announced the defender's injury, adding he will be out for some time.

In the meantime, England –based goalkeeper Carl Ikeme, defenders Efe Ambrose and Abdullahi Shehu, midfielders Kelechi Iheanacho and Azubuike Okechukwu and forwards Ahmed Musa, Moses Simon, Victor Moses and Fanendo Adi were being expected to land in Abuja on Monday night.

South Africa –based goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi, defenders Stanley Amuzie and Elderson Echiejile and midfielder Ogenyi Onazi would arrive in Lagos on Monday night and travel to Abuja by first flight on Tuesday.

Arsenal prodigy Alex Iwobi was the first overseas –based player to arrive in the Super Eagles’ camp in Abuja, on Sunday, before Turkey–based Umar Aminu and Godfrey Oboabona, and John Mikel Obi, Odion Ighalo and Aaron Samuel.

The Super Eagles will arrive in the city of Kaduna, venue of Friday’s against the Pharaohs of Egypt, on Tuesday.
http://africanfootball.com/news/620804/Leon-Balogun-fit-for-Egypt-return-clash-NFF
[/b]

Halleluyah!

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by tbaba1234: 7:42pm On Mar 21, 2016
Icon4s:

Omeruo was introduced in a friendly and at Right back u said. Recall i said young players can b more easily experimented at Right and Left Backs which was also Omeruo's case. Recall also i said Awawiem may b called up for d Chad or Tanzania game. Fact is u do nt experiment at CB in a crutial game.

I am banking on the experience of Ambrose and Obaobona to do the job. Fact that they may nt b regular in their clubs doesnt mean dey have lost steam and fitness as defenders.They are what we've got now and we have to make do with them.

Omeruo was thrust into a vital nations cup game, before then his only other appearance was a substitute at right back.

Awaziem's first game for Porto was against their biggest rivals Benfica. It was not some mid-table team.

It is a risk but it sometimes comes with high rewards. I do not think Oboabana is the same player that played in the nations cup. Ambrose too. We need to start looking at possible replacements.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by forgiveness: 10:57pm On Mar 21, 2016
Icon4s:

One of the reasons why I feel we dnt need Ighalo in Rio....

We have so many U23 attackers that are setting Europe ablaze. We need to see them in Rio so as to fully assess their national team capabilities which has in so many cases proven to be different from club capabilities.

As for me, Experience they say is best teacher. When we went to the 1996 Olympics, we took Emmanuel Amuneke along as one the over aged players. Remember, he was in the form of his life at Sporting Lisbon. I think we need to bring Ighalo along because of his experience and the fear factor he brings to the team which i think will go a long way to intimidate the opponent defence

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) ... (161) (Reply)

Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting? / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Boy Wins 43 Million Naira On Bet9ja In Benue With Just 100 Naira(sreenshots)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.