Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,977 members, 7,980,508 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 04:12 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (140) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (260347 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:07pm On Mar 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Egypt compile Eagles 'danger list'
[/size]
By Tarek Talaat in Egypt Egyptian senior team assistant coach Mahmoud Fayez has named ten players on the Nigerian National team that are the most dangerous and that Egypt needs to coral if they are to stand a chance to win in both Kaduna and Alexandria.

Nigeria will host Egypt on March 25th in Kaduna and then play the second game at the Bourg Al Arab in Alexandria, on March the 29th.

Fayez speaking exclusively to supersport.comsaid that while there are many good players on the Super Eagles these were the most dangerous.

1. "Odion Ighalo of Watford[above]is very good striker and we saw him score against Arsenal in the FA Cup.

2. "Alex Iwobi of Arsenal is just as slick. He is good friend of our player Mohamed ElNeny. In as much as he is young he is very good and we saw him play very well against against Barcelona and recently score against Everton".

3. "Then there is Victor Moses who has played for a variety of clubs and his experience will help the rather young Eagles team," Fayez said.

4. "Next is the quick Ahmed Musa who scorers spectacular goals. We remember the two against Argentina in Brazil[below]and the spectacular one against the RSA in their friendly last year.

5. "Despite his size one cant overlook Moses Simon of Gent who is mesmerizing on and off the ball".

6. "Aron Samuel's physicality tends to give more defenders problems and he has a nose for the goal".

7. "I really dont need to say much about John Obi Mikel[below]who just refuses to go away and keeps reinventing himself every season. He is as sold as a rock. "

9. "Then there is Amuno Omar of Othmanspor in Turkey who our scouts say is very dangerous."

10. Finally there is Fanendo Adi whom skill wise we would put shoulder to shoulder with Obafemi Martins when he was in the US. "So as you can see Nigeria is no paper tiger but is a team blessed with talent. We will certainly have our hands full, but we are quite capable of doing our job. We know exactly what to do and at the end we shall be victorious and in Gabon in 2017." the gaffer ended.
ng.supersport.mobi/football/super-eagles/news/160320/Egypt_compile_Eagles_danger_list
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:14pm On Mar 20, 2016
[size=14pt]
2017 Afcon qualifier: Etebo wants piece of pie against Egypt
Posted By: Adeniyi
[/size]
Oghenekaro Etebo was the break out star at the 2015 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations, finishing as the top scorer and subsequently picked the CAF award as the Most Promising talent last year but earning a first team place in the Super Eagles is a luxury he doesn’t think he’d be handed on a platter.

The former Warri Wolves midfielder, powered Nigeria to a first Afcon U-23 title but may not be on hand to help them against Brazil in the March 24 International friendly because of an Afcon qualifier against Egypt.

Etebo, 20, told footballlive.ng that he intends to work hard and make a case for himself in the Super Eagles team for the double header against Egypt.
footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/itll-difficult-but-i-want-super-eagles-place-oghenekaro-etebo/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:19pm On Mar 20, 2016
[size=14pt]
Etebo, Ezenwa and 4 others retained by Siasia for Egypt
[/size]
Footballlive.ng has gathered that Super Eagles interim Coach, Samson Siasia will only keep 6 NPFL based players for the Afcon qualifier against Egypt.Three defenders, two Midfielders and a goalie were retained by the selectors, sources in the camp confirmed.

The list of 6 players was headlined by CAF 2015 Most Promising Talent, Oghenekaro Etebo (MF unattached), and Super Eagles B first choice goalie, Ikechukwu Ezenwa (GK Sunshine Stars).

Ifeanyi Matthew (MF, Kano Pillars), Chibuzor Okonkwo (DF, FC IfeanyiUbah), Orji Kalu (DF, Enugu Rangers), Matthew Etim (DF, Enugu Rangers) make up the list.
footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/etebo-ezenwa-and-4-others-retained-by-siasia-for-egypt/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:28pm On Mar 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers USA
Portland Timbers gave me Nigeria chance says Adi
[/size]
Fenando Adi has said will credit MLS champions Portland Timbers for his first-ever Nigeria call-up.
Adi also said he is looking forward to debut for Nigeria in this month’s AFCON 2017 qualifiers against Egypt.

“It’s my first time going [to the Nigeria national team]. I’ve never been with the national team, so it’s different for me. I’m very humble to be invited, but as I’ve said, Portland is my family. I owe everything to Portland, so I have to say a big ‘thank you’ to the coach, to the fans and my mates.

Without them I wouldn’t have this opportunity,” the big striker told the Portland website.
“It’s going to be great for my development. It’s going to help me, but I’m looking forward to playing for Nigeria.”

He netted 19 times last season to help his team win the MLS Cup and has scored three goals this season already.
africanfootball.com/news/620457/Portland-Timbers-gave-me-Nigeria-chance-says-Adi
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:46pm On Mar 20, 2016
I was expecting this list of homebased. I'm not surprised at all.

Ifeanyi Matthew and Oghenekaro Etebo are in contention for starting spots.

I think Chibuzor Okonkwo will start as Right-back.

Etim Matthew, Kalu Orji and Ikechukwu Ezenwa will be on the bench (maybe only one of them will make the bench for matchday squad sef).

We'll see how it goes....#smiles

Orkpekyandega:
[size=14pt]
Etebo, Ezenwa and 4 others retained by Siasia for Egypt
[/size]
Footballlive.ng has gathered that Super Eagles interim Coach, Samson Siasia will only keep 6 NPFL based players for the Afcon qualifier against Egypt.Three defenders, two Midfielders and a goalie were retained by the selectors, sources in the camp confirmed.

The list of 6 players was headlined by CAF 2015 Most Promising Talent, Oghenekaro Etebo (MF unattached), and Super Eagles B first choice goalie, Ikechukwu Ezenwa (GK Sunshine Stars).

Ifeanyi Matthew (MF, Kano Pillars), Chibuzor Okonkwo (DF, FC IfeanyiUbah), Orji Kalu (DF, Enugu Rangers), Matthew Etim (DF, Enugu Rangers) make up the list.
footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/etebo-ezenwa-and-4-others-retained-by-siasia-for-egypt/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by tbaba1234: 8:37pm On Mar 20, 2016
Iwobi is the first foreign based player to hit camp.. Great attitude.

Played yesterday and already in camp.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by laperson: 10:34pm On Mar 20, 2016
tbaba1234:

This is great news... Wish my boys all the best

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:32am On Mar 21, 2016
Elderson Echiejile played all 90 mins for AS Monaco as they shocked PSG away from home 2-0.

Decent showing from Echiejile in the game.

So happy Iwobi is in camp already, read England are hoping Nigeria don't cap him in the games against Egypt so as to have an outside chance of trying to persuade Iwobi to feature for them.

Note: Iwobi is yet to make his "competitive debut" for The Super Eagles. But we all know Iwobi is ours. England's just being a pest. #smiles

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:32am On Mar 21, 2016
tbaba1234:

That true. Great guy. Great talent & skills. Great attitude.
The FA have lost out on this one. FA bye..........gringrin according to Sir Terzurum5 gringrin

owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/20/iwobi-first-eagle-in-camp/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:37am On Mar 21, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Elderson Echiejile played all 90 mins for AS Monaco as they shocked PSG away from home 2-0.

Decent showing from Echiejile in the game.

So happy Iwobi is in camp already, read England are hoping Nigeria don't cap him in the games against Egypt so as to have an outside chance of trying to persuade Iwobi to feature for them.

Note: Iwobi is yet to make his "competitive debut" for The Super Eagles. But we all know Iwobi is ours. England's just being a pest. #smiles

I suspect something Sir, if the post by Sir tbaba1234
England launch last-gasp Alex Iwobi bid as Arsenal starlet's full Nigeria debut looms
in the Dream Team thread is any thing to go by. I suspect Iwobi is running away from the FA's influence. Who knows if that is one of the reasons why he never wanted to waste time in England, but reported early. I love his patriotism. He wants to play for us with the whole of his hart. I think Sir Forgiveness is happy with this development gringrin

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:51am On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Iwobi fired up for Egypt fall, Arsenal title push
[/size]

Alex Iwobi

by Samm Audu

Alex Iwobi has told AfricanFootball.com his immediate targets are the crucial AFCON qualifiers against Egypt as well as Arsenal push to be Premier League champions.

The 19-year-old Iwobi was man of the match on Saturday when he crowned his first Premier League start with a goal for Arsenal to stay in hot chase for a 14th championship.

The youngster’s self-belief has been further boosted going into this week’s must-win AFCON 2017 qualifier against Egypt in Kaduna.

Iwobi will fly in to Nigeria on Monday and he told AfricaFootball.com he hopes the quality in the Super Eagles and massive home support will combine to beat seven-time African champions Egypt on Friday.

“I am looking forward to playing in the AFCON qualifying match against Egypt. It's going to be a very tough match as the Egyptians have a lot of quality players including my team mate Mohamed Elneny,” Iwobi told AfricanFootball.com

“But I am confident that we have the experience in our team to get the result we need.

“I do not regret my decision to play for Nigeria. I feel honoured by the call-up to play in the qualifier against Egypt and hope that I will make a contribution in the AFCON qualifiers and other future tournaments.

“I urge the fans to come out in great numbers to support the team.”

Iwobi is not a stranger to coach Samson Siasia having trained with his Olympic team last year.

“I have in the past worked with coach Samson Siasia, he is a very good coach and encourages his players to express themselves on the pitch,” he remarked.

Iwobi told AfricanFootball.com he is equally focused on Arsenal toppling surprise team Leicester at the top of the Premier League table.

The Gunners are 11 points adrift of Leicester with eight rounds of matches left to be played.

“I have to remain focused and committed and will do my best to be involved in Arsenal's push for the Premier League title,” he said.

“I feel proud playing for Arsenal and will continue to work hard to justify the trust the manager Arsene Wenger has put on me.”

He described as “unbelievable” scoring his first Premier League goal.

“It was an unbelievable feeling scoring my first goal for the Arsenal first team,” he said.

“It was a very difficult game with a lot of top players on the pitch. Everton is a great team and the matches between Arsenal and Everton are all always very competitive.

“I dedicate my goal to all the fans, who come in week in week out to support the team.

“I am also delighted to have been nominated Man of the Match.”
http://africanfootball.com/news/620434/Iwobi-fired-up-for-Egypt-fall-Arsenal-title-push
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:52am On Mar 21, 2016
[size=14pt]
Egwuekwe dedicates first goal in Europe to wife
[/size]

Azubuike Egwuekwe

Nigeria defender Azubuike Egwuekwe has told AfricanFootball.com his first goal in Europe is dedicated to his wife Isioma for her encouragement.

The Jos-born towering defender scored for Finnish club KuPS in a 3-0 win over MP in a cup game on his debut.

"I am happy for my goal in my first official game in Europe,” he said.

"The goal is dedicated to my lovely wife who encouraged me to join the club and told me I won't regret it."
http://africanfootball.com/news/620532/Egwuekwe-dedicates-first-goal-in-Europe-to-wife

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:53am On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Arsenal great Kanu joins Iwobi praise singers
[/size]

Arsenal attacker Alex Iwobi scores against Everton

Former Arsenal star Nwankwo Kanu has joined a growing list of admirers of Nigeria youngster Alex Iwobi after he posted a man-of-the-match display for Arsenal on Saturday.

The 19-year-old Iwobi scored his first-ever Premier League goal for the London Gunners in an important 2-0 win at Everton.

Arsene Wenger also started Iwobi for last week’s UEFA Champions League clash at Barcelona.

"Well done Arsenal and well done Iwobi. Keep going and I wish you all the best," Kanu saluted.

Iwobi’e uncle, the legendary Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha, was one of the first to congratulate the young midfielder.

"So pleased with Alexi's performance this afternoon. Delighted he got his first premiership goal…So proud of him. Wel-done Ojiogwu," Okocha tweeted.
http://africanfootball.com/news/620423/Arsenal-great-Kanu-joins-Iwobi-praise-singers
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:00am On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Maigari Drums Support For Siasia, Super Eagles
[/size]

By Richard Jideaka, Abuja:

Former president of the Nigeria Football Federation, Aminu Maigari has called on Nigerians to rally round Samson Siasia to ensure that the Super Eagles beat their Egyptian counterparts in Friday's Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Kaduna.

Maigari believes Siasia has the experience and technical ability to lead the Super Eagles and beat the Pharaohs of Egypt, but adds that the coach needs all-round support from Kaduna fans and the entire Nigerian football fans

"It is going to be a very tough encounter as the Egyptians are desperate to make a return to the AFCON after missing the last three, but Nigeria are also desirous of being in Gabon after missing out at the last edition in Equatorial Guinea and will not compromise victory in this first leg tie in Kaduna," Maigari tells Completesportsnigeria.com.

"My advise to Siasia is to select players who are ready to fight all through the game whether they are foreign based or home boys. He should remove sentiment in team selection and must get his tactics right to beat the Egypt. They will come with all kinds of antics to frustrate the Super Eagles and get a result in the first leg."

The Bauchi born football administrator also calls on Nigerians to pray for the Super Eagles to excel in the two-legged qualifier, and charges the players to double their efforts and beat Egypt in the first leg and go all out in the second leg in Alexandria next week.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/maigari-drums-support-siasia-super-eagles/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:00am On Mar 21, 2016
[size=14pt]
Eagles new boy Aminu nets sixth goal in Turkey
[/size]

Aminu

Super Eagles new boy Umar Aminu scored his sixth goal in the Turkish Super League for Osmanlispor in a 3-1 win over Genclerbirligi.

Osmanlispor are sixth on the league table with 39 points in 26 games.

The former Samsunspor striker, who will be in Kaduna this week for AFCON 2017 qualifier against Egypt, scored in the 49th minute to give Osmanlispor a 2-1 lead.

His compatriot Raheem Lawal started the game and lasted for 85th minute, when he was replaced by Vaclav Prochazka.
http://africanfootball.com/news/620421/Eagles-new-boy-Aminu-nets-sixth-goal-in-Turkey
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:01am On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Who are local boys to start for Nigeria vs Egypt?
[/size]

We rate the chances of the six local players who will join the foreign-based squad ahead of Friday’s must-win AFCON qualifier against Egypt in Kaduna

Ikechukwu Ezenwa 10%

The Sunshine Stars goalkeeper will not make the 18-man squad except first-choice Carl Ikeme or his cover Daniel Akpeyi are not available.

Chibuzor Okonkwo 40%

The FC IfeanyiUbah defender has always featured in coach Samson Siasia’s teams whether with the Olympic team or the Super Eagles. It was therefore not surprising when he was recalled by the coach. In training camp he played at right back and central defence. He may have slowed over the years, but may well be the best option at the Eagles problematic right back.

Etim Matthew 30%

The Enugu Rangers defender is yet another option at the problematic right back position. He has previously worked with Siasia with the U23s, which should give him additional points.

Kalu Orji 35%

The Rangers defender can play at right back or in central defence. He showed his class as a stopper at the CHAN in Rwanda and with Kenneth Omeruo ruled out and Leon Balogun a major doubt, he could well battle Efe Ambrose and Godfrey Oboabona for a starting spot at the heart of the back four.

Ifeanyi Matthew 35%

The Kano Pillars midfielder could play either as a defensive or offensive player. His creativity and versatility will give him a decent chance to be considered more likely for the reverse fixture in Alexandria on March 29. With former coach Sunday Oliseh, he would have been a sure-bet to start on Friday.

Oghenekaro Etebo 60%

The former Warri Wolves star who is bound for Europe after the AFCON qualifiers and he is Siasia’s favourite player in whom he is most pleased going by his exploits at the U23 AFCON in Senegal. He has the biggest chance of all the players who have been training for the past two weeks to start on Friday in Kaduna.
http://africanfootball.com/news/620691/Who-are-local-boys-to-start-for-Nigeria-vs-Egypt
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 11:10am On Mar 21, 2016
Egypt condemns Kaduna Pitch, dismisses BokoHaram.

The supervisor to the Egyptian national team Ihab Lahita is pleased that the city of Kaduna is safe for next Friday’s all important cracker between Nigeria and Egypt but has expressed his unhappiness over the state of the Ahmadu Bello Stadium pitch.

Lahita says the grass at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium is very bad and will need to be well watered before the encounter.

“In Kaduna the hotels are sub-standard and the grass also very bad but the good thing is that it is safe for football,” he told Completesportsnigeria.com after his spy mission of the state.

“No Boko Haram there.”

Lahita also revealed that AS Roma winger Mohammed Salah admits the encounter will be tough but he has promised he and his teammates will make the people of Egypt happy.

​Completesportsnigeria.com can also report that interim Super Eagles coach Samson Siasia has visited the stadium himself to see the state of the pitch ahead of the game but offered no comments when quizzed.

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/eagles-vs-pharaohs-egypt-condemn-kaduna-pitch-dismiss-boko-haram/#ChV1y2H8qJ1iZYAw.99

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 11:25am On Mar 21, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[b][size=14pt]
Who are local boys to start for Nigeria vs Egypt?
[/size]

We rate the chances of the six local players who will join the foreign-based squad ahead of Friday’s must-win AFCON qualifier against Egypt in Kaduna

Ikechukwu Ezenwa 10%

The Sunshine Stars goalkeeper will not make the 18-man squad except first-choice Carl Ikeme or his cover Daniel Akpeyi are not available.

Chibuzor Okonkwo 40%

The FC IfeanyiUbah defender has always featured in coach Samson Siasia’s teams whether with the Olympic team or the Super Eagles. It was therefore not surprising when he was recalled by the coach. In training camp he played at right back and central defence. He may have slowed over the years, but may well be the best option at the Eagles problematic right back.

Etim Matthew 30%

The Enugu Rangers defender is yet another option at the problematic right back position. He has previously worked with Siasia with the U23s, which should give him additional points.

Kalu Orji 35%

The Rangers defender can play at right back or in central defence. He showed his class as a stopper at the CHAN in Rwanda and with Kenneth Omeruo ruled out and Leon Balogun a major doubt, he could well battle Efe Ambrose and Godfrey Oboabona for a starting spot at the heart of the back four.

Ifeanyi Matthew 35%

The Kano Pillars midfielder could play either as a defensive or offensive player. His creativity and versatility will give him a decent chance to be considered more likely for the reverse fixture in Alexandria on March 29. With former coach Sunday Oliseh, he would have been a sure-bet to start on Friday.

Oghenekaro Etebo 60%

The former Warri Wolves star who is bound for Europe after the AFCON qualifiers and he is Siasia’s favourite player in whom he is most pleased going by his exploits at the U23 AFCON in Senegal. He has the biggest chance of all the players who have been training for the past two weeks to start on Friday in Kaduna.
http://africanfootball.com/news/620691/Who-are-local-boys-to-start-for-Nigeria-vs-Egypt
[/b]

Spot-on on the analysis.

I think some of the major reasons Etebo would likely start ahead of Iheanacho and Iwobi in the attacking midfield position are:
1. He has been with Siasia for a while and would have by my now keyed into Siasia's playing philosophy. Iheanacho and Iwobi have never played under Siasia.
2. Etebo is more adapted to the match venue conditions as we are nt expecting the Emirates or Etihad standard of pitch that Iwobi and Iheanacho have so mastered how to throw killer passes.
3. I think Etebo is a more physical player than Iwobi and Iheanacho. The Egyptians have been known to parade some of the biggest players in world football. They are usually well built. It takes a very strong, skilled and Pacey AM to break through such oppositions. All of skill, pace and physique must be present. Though Etebo may nt be as skillful as Iheanacho and Iwobi but his pace and physique have made up for that.

By and large the AM position is up for grabs for the three players: Etebo, Iheanacho and Iwobi; for they are looking like our bests in that AM position for now. each of the 3 players can also play from the wings with Iheanacho also playing as an attacker and Etebo also as a defensive midfielder. Any good coach should know how to accommodate these 3 guys all in one starting 11. That would be a killer combo.

We hope to see all 3 in Rio.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:36am On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
El-Nenny: I told Iwobi that it will be hard to beat Egypt
By Abdelrahman Amr
[/size]

Egypt’s national team midfielder Mohamed El-Nenny talked to MBC TV channel about the crucial double-header against Nigeria in the African Cup of Nations qualifications.

The first leg will be held in Kaduna on the 25th of March, while the second leg is going to be played four days later in Alexandria.

“I have a good feeling that we will be able to win the match. Nigeria is a good tough team but we’re good too. I also feel that I am surrounded by support from everyone encouraging us to get back to winning,” El-Nenny explained.

When asked about whether he talked with his fellow team mate in Arsenal Alex Iwobi about the match, El-Nenny confirmed that they did speak about it briefly. “I told him that it will be hard for Nigeria to beat Egypt.”

The young midfielder answered the question about who he would choose as the best player in the world, Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi by choosing the Argentinean legend.

“Messi is a unique football talent. Ronaldo is not a lot less than him but Messi is better without a doubt,” he added.

Egypt is currently on top of its group with six points after beating Chad and Tanzania, while Nigeria is in the second place with four points.
http://www.kingfut.com/2016/03/21/el-nenny-i-told-iwobi-will-hard-beat-egypt/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 11:38am On Mar 21, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[b][size=14pt]
El-Nenny: I told Iwobi that it will be hard to beat Egypt
By Abdelrahman Amr
[/size]

Egypt’s national team midfielder Mohamed El-Nenny talked to MBC TV channel about the crucial double-header against Nigeria in the African Cup of Nations qualifications.

The first leg will be held in Kaduna on the 25th of March, while the second leg is going to be played four days later in Alexandria.

“I have a good feeling that we will be able to win the match. Nigeria is a good tough team but we’re good too. I also feel that I am surrounded by support from everyone encouraging us to get back to winning,” El-Nenny explained.

When asked about whether he talked with his fellow team mate in Arsenal Alex Iwobi about the match, El-Nenny confirmed that they did speak about it briefly. “I told him that it will be hard for Nigeria to beat Egypt.”

The young midfielder answered the question about who he would choose as the best player in the world, Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi by choosing the Argentinean legend.

“Messi is a unique football talent. Ronaldo is not a lot less than him but Messi is better without a doubt,” he added.

Egypt is currently on top of its group with six points after beating Chad and Tanzania, while Nigeria is in the second place with four points.
http://www.kingfut.com/2016/03/21/el-nenny-i-told-iwobi-will-hard-beat-egypt/
[/b]

Just like Iwobi would have told you too that we are going to beat Egypt.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:38am On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Pinnick Banks On Iwobi, Ighalo, Mikel To Beat Egypt
[/size]

By Richard Jideaka, Abuja:

President of Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick has tipped the trio of Alex Iwobi, Odion Ighalo and Mikel Obi to lead the expected annihilation of their Egyptian counterparts in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Kaduna on Friday, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Pinnick is particularly thrilled with the performance of Iwobi whose first EPL goal lifted Arsenal above home side Everton, winning 2-0 in the EPL game last Saturday. Pinnick boasts that the 19 year old will be in the groove when the Eagles clash with the Pharaohs in Kaduna.

"Our boys are in the best form for the Egypt game, and if they reproduces such form in Kaduna on Friday, goals will rain against the visitors. Already, some of the players have called to reassure us that they would show no mercy against Egypt and I believe them. We are not taking any chances against the Pharaohs," Pinnick states in chat with Completesportsnigeria.com.

"With the form of Iwobi , Mikel, Odion and other players in England and other leagues of Europe, Egypt know they are in real trouble and will not escape defeat in Kaduna. What we are praying for is that our foreign based players give the game their best and win the first leg before going for the final kill in the second leg duel," the NFF boss remarks.

Pinnick continues: "they (Egypt), might also boast of the form of Salah and Elneny, but we have better quality players whose experience will get us this much needed victory. The boys are self motivated to beating the Pharaohs and the NFF on our part will give them all the necessary support and logistics to win."
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/pinnick-banks-iwobi-ighalo-mikel-beat-egypt/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:41am On Mar 21, 2016
[size=14pt]
Eagles Arrive In Kaduna Tuesday; Mikel, Shehu, Umar Hit Camp
[/size]

The Super Eagles will depart Abuja for Kaduna on Tuesday ahead of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Egypt on Friday.

This was revealed on the Super Eagles official Twitter handle.

It was disclosed that the Eagles will head for Kaduna after their morning training on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the overseas-based quartet of Mikel Obi, Aminu Umar, Abdullahi Shehu and Alex Iwobi have already hit camp.

They join the six home-based players which are Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Orji Kalu, Ifeanyi Matthew, Matthew Etim, Oghenekaro Etebo and Chibuzor Okonkwo.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/eagles-arrive-kaduna-tuesday-mikel-shehu-umar-hit-camp/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 11:42am On Mar 21, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[size=14pt]
Eagles new boy Aminu nets sixth goal in Turkey
[/size]

Aminu

Super Eagles new boy Umar Aminu scored his sixth goal in the Turkish Super League for Osmanlispor in a 3-1 win over Genclerbirligi.

Osmanlispor are sixth on the league table with 39 points in 26 games.

The former Samsunspor striker, who will be in Kaduna this week for AFCON 2017 qualifier against Egypt, scored in the 49th minute to give Osmanlispor a 2-1 lead.

His compatriot Raheem Lawal started the game and lasted for 85th minute, when he was replaced by Vaclav Prochazka.
http://africanfootball.com/news/620421/Eagles-new-boy-Aminu-nets-sixth-goal-in-Turkey

One of the reasons why I feel we dnt need Ighalo in Rio....

We have so many U23 attackers that are setting Europe ablaze. We need to see them in Rio so as to fully assess their national team capabilities which has in so many cases proven to be different from club capabilities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:44am On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
No more heavy defeats, Egypt coach Cuper says ahead of Nigeria clash
[/size]
Cuper holds a press conference ahead of the Pharaohs' crucial game against Nigeria
Mahmoud Elassal
[img]http://english.ahram.org.eg/Media/News/2016/3/20/2016-635940935138245301-824.jpg[/img]
Hector Cuper of Argentina, the head coach of Egypt's national football team, speaks during a press conference at the football federation headquarters in Cairo, Egypt, Tuesday, March 10, 2015 (AP)

Egypt coach Hector Cuper insisted there would not be a repeat of any humiliating defeats such as the one the team suffered in 2013 against Ghana as the Pharaohs prepare for a crunch double-header against Nigeria in the African Cup of Nations qualifiers.

The seven-time African champions missed out on a place at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil following a stunning 7-3 aggregate defeat by Ghana that included an embarrassing 6-1 first-leg loss in Kumasi under American coach Bob Bradley.

Cuper is confident such outcomes will never occur again as Egypt face Nigeria in Kaduna on Friday before hosting them four days later at Alexandria's Borg El-Arab Stadium.

"We can beat Nigeria and it's impossible to repeat what happened against Ghana when the team lost 6-1," Cuper told a news conference on Sunday.

"I usually don't promise any certain outcomes but I'm confident that we are capable of overcoming Nigeria."

Egypt are leading Group G with six points from two victories over Chad and Tanzania, two ahead of second-placed Nigeria.

With only the group winners guaranteed automatic qualification for next year's Nations Cup finals in Gabon, Egypt can move to within touching distance of ending a six-year absence from the biennial tournament by avoiding defeat against Nigeria.

"All people know the importance of Nigeria game and this is a double-edged weapon. If we win, that will be deemed a success and if we lose, we will be subjected to harsh comments and our work during the past period will be ruined," Argentinean coach Cuper added.

"I have the utmost confidence in the abilities of my players."

Cuper also commented on statements from Nigeria coach Samson Siasia that he was confident the Super Eagles would emerge winners.

"They are surely free to say that and we respect them, but such statements can never affect the morale of my players. Otherwise, we will not deserve to represent Egypt," he said.

The former Valencia and Inter Milan boss also said he was pleased Ahly and Zamalek managed to qualify for the CAF Champions League round of 16 with easy wins, given that Egypt's squad is mainly made up of players from the Cairo duo.

He also said he does not mind being sacked if Egypt fail to overcome Nigeria.

"I have no problems with Egypt Football Association if they decided to terminate my contract."
http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/6/52/193442/Sports/National-Teams/No-more-heavy-defeats,-Egypt-coach-Cuper-says-ahea.aspx
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:46am On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Babatunde Dedicates Goal To Late Raja Fans
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:

Raja Casablanca's Nigerian winger, Michael Babatunde, has dedicated his Saturday's goal to the two Raja Casablanca fans that died in the fight which broke out between two Ultras groups in Morocco during the team’s match against Chabab Rif Al Hoceima.

Babatunde who scored his third of the season in the encounter told Completesportsnigeria.com that he was saddened by the reports of the deaths after the game,a but prayed such incident never occurs again.

"I dedicate my goal to the lives that were lost in the Ultras groups fracas," Babatunde told Completesportsnigeria.com.

"I felt bad to hear that two people died and lots of people were injured."

The Nigeria international who is reportedly linked with a summer move also disclosed that he remains focused on helping Raja Casablanca compete for the title.

"We are fifth now on the log and I just want to do all I can to help the team always, and if the title comes my way, it will be fantastic."
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/babatunde-dedicates-goal-late-raja-fans/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:48am On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Echiejile Stars In Monaco’s Win At PSG; Onazi, Iheanacho, Obi Benched
[/size]

By James Agberebi:

Super Eagles defender Elderson Echiejile was in action for Monaco in their 2-0 away win against Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germaine.

Echiejile featured for 90 minutes for Monaco in the encounter.

Wagner Love opened the scoring for Monaco before Fabinho sealed the win from the penalty spot.

Kelechi Iheanacho was an unused substitute for Manchester City who lost 1-0 to city rival Manchester United at the Etihad Stadium.

The only goal of the game was scored by 18-year-old Marcus Rashford in the first half.

In the Italian Serie A, Ogenyi Onazi was left on the bench for the entire duration of the game as Lazio and AC Milan played 1-1 at the San Siro.

Former Inter Milan midfielder Joel Obi did not feature for Torino in the Turin derby as they lost 4-1 to Juventus. Obi was an unused substitute.

Still in Italy, Uche Mbakogu, was in action for Carpi who beat Hellas Verona 2-1.
Mbakogu was later replaced by Kevin Lasagna in the 64th minute.

In the Danish league, Nigerian duo; Rilwan Hassan and Paul Onuachu made an appearance in Midtjylland's 3-2 loss to Soenderjyske.

Hassan went off for Mikkel Duelund in the 75th minute while Onuachu was introduced for Pione Sisto in the 62nd minute.

And in the Portuguese league, Anderson Esiti was in action for Estoril who beat Academica 3-0 away.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/echiejile-stars-monacos-win-psg-onazi-iheanacho-obi-benched/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 12:00pm On Mar 21, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[size=14pt]
Eagles Arrive In Kaduna Tuesday; Mikel, Shehu, Umar Hit Camp
[/size]

The Super Eagles will depart Abuja for Kaduna on Tuesday ahead of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Egypt on Friday.

This was revealed on the Super Eagles official Twitter handle.

It was disclosed that the Eagles will head for Kaduna after their morning training on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the overseas-based quartet of Mikel Obi, Aminu Umar, Abdullahi Shehu and Alex Iwobi have already hit camp.

They join the six home-based players which are Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Orji Kalu, Ifeanyi Matthew, Matthew Etim, Oghenekaro Etebo and Chibuzor Okonkwo.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/eagles-arrive-kaduna-tuesday-mikel-shehu-umar-hit-camp/

Who are those clowns in that pix u posted as Super Eagles?

Bc of that CHAN now every d!ck and Harry can now claim Super Eagles player.
Please players in that pix there are not the Super Eagles. Those ones are CHAN eagles. grin
See as the numbers 11, 18, 17 and 3 them put hand for knee like suwegbe grin

See pix of Super Eagles here:

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 12:36pm On Mar 21, 2016
Orkpekyandega:

gringrin.
So sir looking at how prolific our forwards have been with their Clubs before this match, will you still love Ighalo to lead the front line, considering his shyness in front of goal?
cc: forgiveness.

See, in national team action u dnt jst base your players' assessment on club performances in the last 1 or 2 months.

You and I have seen Ighalo on several occasions and we know what he is capable of. He has not scored in the EPL for some time doesn't mean if he is gifted with opportunities against Egypt he will nt convert them. Football is like that. You enjoy a period of continues banging of goals and then another period without goals. 14 EPL goals for a whole season already makes him a prolific striker.
Ighalo is by far our best center forward option.

National team duties are quite different from club duties. Experience counts for much especially in a big game.
That is why I am nt moved by the performances of the likes of Chidozie Awaziem, Ehizibue, and the rest. The technical committee I am sure have taken note of them for future call-ups.

A young defender starting 2 or 3 games for the senior team of a club in my opinion is not enough for me to press for an inclusion of that player in the senior national team for a game of the nature. At best I can for now press for his inclusion in the U23 and maybe in the games against Chad and Tanzania (if he continues playing). It is nt an issue of "bc Awaziem starts for Fc Porto he is now automatically better than Ambrose and Obaobona". You cannot rule-out the place of experience and co-ordination in the center back position.

I, jst like most coaches believe so much in experience at center back. We can play a debutant at Right or Left back positions bt not at center back bc it would be too risky more especially in a would be tension soaked game. We are all not so comfortable with Ambrose - Obaobona CB back pair bt believe me that is the best pair we can afford for now.

My hope is for us to build a new Center back pair from Rio Olympics and graduate them together into the Super Eagles. It could be Awaziem-Omeruo pair or which ever pair that makes the starting 11. Football is a Team sport and co-ordination in the area of defense matters. U saw how the Omeruo and Obaobona CB pair worked for as at the 2013 AFCON. Throwing in defenders at random has been our major problem and it will continue to hurt us if we continue in that trend

The young players will definitely get their turn but first we need to manage the situation we find in our hands now.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by chrisooblog: 2:54pm On Mar 21, 2016
true boss for now we just have to make do with ambrose-oboabona combination
Icon4s:

See, in national team action u dnt jst base your players' assessment on club performances in the last 1 or 2 months.

You and I have seen Ighalo on several occasions and we know what he is capable of. He has not scored in the EPL for some time doesn't mean if he is gifted with opportunities against Egypt he will nt convert them. Football is like that. You enjoy a period of continues banging of goals and then another period without goals. 14 EPL goals for a whole season already makes him a prolific striker.
Ighalo is by far our best center forward option.

National team duties are quite different from club duties. Experience counts for much especially in a big game.
That is why I am nt moved by the performances of the likes of Chidozie Awaziem, Ehizibue, and the rest. The technical committee I am sure have taken note of them for future call-ups.

A young defender starting 2 or 3 games for the senior team of a club in my opinion is not enough for me to press for an inclusion of that player in the senior national team for a game of the nature. At best I can for now press for his inclusion in the U23 and maybe in the games against Chad and Tanzania (if he continues playing). It is nt an issue of "bc Awaziem starts for Fc Porto he is now automatically better than Ambrose and Obaobona". You cannot rule-out the place of experience and co-ordination in the center back position.

I, jst like most coaches believe so much in experience at center back. We can play a debutant at Right or Left back positions bt not at center back bc it would be too risky more especially in a would be tension soaked game. We are all not so comfortable with Ambrose - Obaobona CB back pair bt believe me that is the best pair we can afford for now.

My hope is for us to build a new Center back pair from Rio Olympics and graduate them together into the Super Eagles. It could be Awaziem-Omeruo pair or which ever pair that makes the starting 11. Football is a Team sport and co-ordination in the area of defense matters. U saw how the Omeruo and Obaobona CB pair worked for as at the 2013 AFCON. Throwing in defenders at random has been our major problem and it will continue to hurt us if we continue in that trend

The young players will definitely get their turn but first we need to manage the situation we find in our hands now.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:59pm On Mar 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Arsenal star Alex Iwobi to face decision between England or Nigeria
[/size]
[img]http://cdn-03.independent.ie/incoming/article34555548.ece/43cfa/ALTERNATES/h342/p7arsenal3.jpg[/img]
Arsenal's Alex Iwobi is congratulated by team-mates after the final whistle. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire

Alex Iwobi is at the centre of a Football Association tug-of-war after a succession of impressive displays for Arsenal.

The 19-year-old winger was destined to commit his international future to Nigeria, the country of his birth, but has represented England at under-16, 17 and 18 levels - opening the door for a last-ditch attempt to persuade him otherwise.

Despite representing his homeland on two occasions, both friendlies, the nephew of former Bolton midfielder Jay-Jay Okocha is still eligible for Roy Hodgson’s side.

Back in September, England succeeded in persuading Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish to choose them over the Republic of Ireland but the 20-year-old Solihull-born winger has endured a torrid campaign in the Midlands.

With little chance of making Hodgson’s squad for the European Championship in France this summer, Grealish is yet to feature for the national side since announcing his intention to turn down the advances of Republic manager Martin O'Neill.

Iwobi, meanwhile, is in line to make his competitive debut for Nigeria this week after being named in their Africa Cup of Nations qualifying squad. The winger scored for the Gunners on his first Premier League start against Everton this weekend after also featuring at Barcelona in the Champions League in midweek.

“He played for the England youth teams for a while,” explained manager Arsene Wenger, at Goodison Park on Saturday. “And after that, the U19s didn’t play him. No, they didn’t pick him. He has not played in the under-19s, basically, and he has a choice, you know.

“I think he has chosen Nigeria and we have to respect that. He travels Sunday to Nigeria, and will join up with them. We’ll see what stands in the way. Already the Africa Cup of Nations was in January, so when the players have a choice.”
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/arsenal-star-alex-iwobi-to-face-decision-between-england-or-nigeria-34558024.html
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by forgiveness: 4:03pm On Mar 21, 2016
Orkpekyandega:

I suspect something Sir, if the post by Sir tbaba1234 in the Dream Team thread is any thing to go by. I suspect Iwobi is running away from the FA's influence. Who knows if that is one of the reasons why he never wanted to waste time in England, but reported early. I love his patriotism. He wants to play for us with the whole of his hart. I think Sir Forgiveness is happy with this development gringrin

grin You know now! grin But i will not be happy if they don't play him.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 4:03pm On Mar 21, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[b][size=14pt]
Arsenal star Alex Iwobi to face decision between England or Nigeria
[/size]
[img]http://cdn-03.independent.ie/incoming/article34555548.ece/43cfa/ALTERNATES/h342/p7arsenal3.jpg[/img]
Arsenal's Alex Iwobi is congratulated by team-mates after the final whistle. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire

Alex Iwobi is at the centre of a Football Association tug-of-war after a succession of impressive displays for Arsenal.

The 19-year-old winger was destined to commit his international future to Nigeria, the country of his birth, but has represented England at under-16, 17 and 18 levels - opening the door for a last-ditch attempt to persuade him otherwise.

Despite representing his homeland on two occasions, both friendlies, the nephew of former Bolton midfielder Jay-Jay Okocha is still eligible for Roy Hodgson’s side.

Back in September, England succeeded in persuading Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish to choose them over the Republic of Ireland but the 20-year-old Solihull-born winger has endured a torrid campaign in the Midlands.

With little chance of making Hodgson’s squad for the European Championship in France this summer, Grealish is yet to feature for the national side since announcing his intention to turn down the advances of Republic manager Martin O'Neill.

Iwobi, meanwhile, is in line to make his competitive debut for Nigeria this week after being named in their Africa Cup of Nations qualifying squad. The winger scored for the Gunners on his first Premier League start against Everton this weekend after also featuring at Barcelona in the Champions League in midweek.

“He played for the England youth teams for a while,” explained manager Arsene Wenger, at Goodison Park on Saturday. “And after that, the U19s didn’t play him. No, they didn’t pick him. He has not played in the under-19s, basically, and he has a choice, you know.

“I think he has chosen Nigeria and we have to respect that. He travels Sunday to Nigeria, and will join up with them. We’ll see what stands in the way. Already the Africa Cup of Nations was in January, so when the players have a choice.”
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/arsenal-star-alex-iwobi-to-face-decision-between-england-or-nigeria-34558024.html
[/b]

The person that has already arrived Eagles camp.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) ... (161) (Reply)

Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting? / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Boy Wins 43 Million Naira On Bet9ja In Benue With Just 100 Naira(sreenshots)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.