Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,296 members, 7,881,092 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:16 PM

Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? (1324 Views)

The Dangers Of Inter-tribal Marriage. Be Liberated. / Should Marriage Be A Prison Or An Excuse For Man And Woman To Be Unsexy / OMG!!! Will This Marriage Be A Blessing To These Couple Or A Trouble??(must See) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by Hidentity(m): 9:03am On May 16, 2015
I met this old friend of mine a couple of days back. She was graduated by the University last year. A very sound lady in my age range 21 to 25. Then this discussion came up.

Me: I need not ask you how you've been. It is apparent from your look

Miss X: (smiles) I believe you meant to flatter with that. All the same thank you Mr.

Me: So, it is all over. The chase for certificate and all. What is the way forward now?

Miss X: Way forward? You mean like Masters or what?

Me: Maybe. But I'm talking about your dream.

Miss X: hmmmmm. Getting married to my dream man.

Me: (a bit disturbed but hid it) and? I mean your own dream.

Miss X: And what? I said marriage

Me: Hmmmm. That is a nice one (deep inside me 'this lady has no goal)

I think that marrying someone should not be anyone's ultimate goal... You should be able to define a clear goal for yourself and on your own.

NOTE: I am not saying marriage should not be a goal, but I think that it is not proper if one's entire life seems to lean on marriage. I mean who goes about leaving his/her self worth and the heights he/she can reach? Everybody should be able to stand alone and be an achiever in or outside marriage.

Marriage becomes a problem when parties are not in the right mindset and responsible enough for it. Making it a core priority without working on one's goals could be irresponsible. Opinions?
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by agarawu23(m): 9:04am On May 16, 2015
you are not making sense at all undecided

what's next for a lady after her university graduation? she should be looking for job and a husband to settle down with.

when these set of ladies pursue their career and become old without getting married at the ryt time, we will still abuse them.
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by importexpert(m): 9:10am On May 16, 2015
Op are u married? How old are u?
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by vizkiz: 9:12am On May 16, 2015
marriage is not a mandate, its just a necessity
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by phabuloz(m): 9:13am On May 16, 2015
Keep on talking like this all the girl in N/L will hate you for real
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by Aitee1: 9:16am On May 16, 2015
She decides to marry early wahala she decides to wait till God knows when still wahala wetin una want us to do sef

Smh...humans a very highly insatiable creatures angry angry

1 Like

Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by Hidentity(m): 9:18am On May 16, 2015
importexpert:
Op are u married? How old are u?
No, I am not. Above 22, below 25.
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by Oahray: 9:22am On May 16, 2015
Op I agree with you jare. I don't like it when I see girls who have no real goals or dreams, or who want to get married because that's what everyone is doing.

Marriage should be a means to an end, not the end itself. A union that provides the secure partnership needed to achieve certain goals. If a person has nothing to offer to such a union, (s)he is better off single. We'd have less divorce cases everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by Hidentity(m): 9:23am On May 16, 2015
Aitee1:
She decides to marry early wahala she decides to wait till God knows when still wahala wetin una want us to do sef

Smh...humans a very highly insatiable creatures angry angry

Friend, you still don't get my point. If she has clearly defined goals even @ 18, she can marry, but my concern is that she did not even talk about learning something or working. May I ask you, is there no difference between marrying early and marrying without goals or self worth? I am against the second. You get me now?

Even if at 30, she talks like this, I'll still think that she is not in the right mindset for marriage, but if at 18, she has dreams and her own personal goals, why not? Age should not push anyone to marriage.
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by justmag(m): 9:27am On May 16, 2015
agarawu23:

what's next for a lady after her university graduation? she should be looking for job and a husband to settle down with.

when these set of ladies pursue their career and become old without getting married at the ryt time, we will still abuse them.

really? A woman's goal should be a pursuit of her own happiness. This is not always marriage. This includes; exploring what they are good at. I will only want a woman in the process of exploring what she is good at.

1 Like

Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by Aitee1: 9:27am On May 16, 2015
Hidentity:

Friend, you still don't get my point. If she has clearly defined goals even @ 18, she can marry, but my concern is that she did not even talk about learning something or working. May I ask you, is there no difference between marrying early and marrying without goals or self worth? I am against the second. You get me now?

Even if at 30, she talks like this, I'll still think that she is not in the right mindset for marriage, but if at 18, she has dreams and her own personal goals, why not? Age should not push anyone to marriage.

Go find a job and get busy, stop carrying women matter for head like gala sellers abi you wan take over buygala talent

1 Like

Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by agarawu23(m): 10:13am On May 16, 2015
justmag:

really? A woman's goal should be a pursuit of her own happiness. This is not always marriage. This includes; exploring what they are good at. I will only want a woman in the process of exploring what she is good at.
you gat your point

but you should focus on where Op get his point that makes him being the topic. read the conversation again.
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by sinizia: 11:18am On May 16, 2015
Getting married is mostly the greatest or core achievement for many if not most women, especially for African women.. That's why you seem them getting emotional and close to tears when a man they love proposes. For most men, it's just another phase, a legal way of birthing children that will continue their legacy when they're gone. It's not much of a big deal to us as it is to women.

But for us men, getting money and being successful is our utmost goal... Marriage is never our utmost achievement. Never.

I think it's high time women stopped making marriage the height of their achievements. This is a mental slavery yoked on them by the society. It's high time they ended this idea of not achieving their life goals after they get married. It's high time they stopped revolving their happiness around men/marriage. They should stop allowing the society determine their happiness for them via marriage. A woman's happiness and feeling of being "complete" should exceed the ambit of marriage.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by Nobody: 11:44am On May 16, 2015
sinizia:
Getting married is mostly the greatest or core achievement for many if not most women, especially for African women..

But for us men, getting money and being successful is our utmost goal...

But it's high time women stopped making marriage the height of their achievements. This is a mental slavery yoked on them by the society.
True!

But, don't generalise.

Imagine a fool saying that a single woman is lonely as fvck - that's the highest fvcked up statement i've ever heard. angry
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by Hidentity(m): 12:05pm On May 16, 2015
Aitee1:

Go find a job and get busy, stop carrying women matter for head like gala sellers abi you wan take over buygala talent

Thanks for this intellectually disturbing remark. I got a job- a promising one. Don't believe that the internet is a facade for idle people and jobless ones to rant. I did ignore your initial insult to reply you well, but now, is your type fit for marriage? Considering that you listen ONLY to reply and that you can't be diplomatic for once. Ignoring your age and whatever.

I want to believe that you are not dyslexic, especially knowing that a lady just came into the scenario and the topic itself talks about marriage and individuals.

2 Likes

Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by sinizia: 12:05pm On May 16, 2015
VictoriaBee:

True!

But, don't generalise.

Imagine a fool saying that a single woman is lonely as fvck - that's the highest fvcked up statement i've ever heard. angry

I didn't generalize. I said "MANY if not MOST" meaning it's not all women.

As for that fool, you shouldn't be surprised as his ilk are awash in Africa. You see them on threads about Genevive and Rita Dominic ranting "when are you getting married?"..... "Go marry old woman".. Etc.

I don't blame them, i blame the traditions, society and some religious dogmas that imbibed in their dumb brains that a woman that's unmarried is a lonely woman, frustrated or incomplete. Some of them can't afford to subscribe
for their monthly BIS.

Like Genevive needed to be married before achieving her fame, winning countless awards, owning different plush houses in different countries, getting several endorsements, driving the latest whips, traveling around the world, vacationing in famous resorts, being a superstar, etc.

I don't blame them, i blame our society in which they grew up in. Thank God I'm a man, i can decide to get married or not. No-one can force me against my will. If i need a child, i can do the Cristiano Ronaldo or Tuface style. gringrin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by Nobody: 12:24pm On May 16, 2015
sinizia:

I didn't generalize. I said "MANY if not MOST" meaning it's not all women.

As for that fool, you shouldn't be surprised as his ilk are awash in Africa. You see them on threads about Genevive and Rita Dominic ranting "when are you getting married?"..... "Go marry old woman".. Etc.

I don't blame them, i blame the traditions, society and some religious dogmas that imbibed in their dumb brains that a woman that's unmarried is a lonely woman, frustrated or incomplete. Some of them can't afford to subscribe
for their monthly BIS.

Like Genevive needed to be married before achieving her fame, winning countless awards, owning different plush houses in different countries, getting several endorsements, driving the latest whips, traveling around the world, vacationing in famous resorts, being a superstar, etc.

I don't blame them, i blame our society in which they grew up in. Thank God I'm a man, i can decide to get married or not. No-one can force me against my will. If i need a child, i can do the Cristiano Ronaldo or Tuface style. gringrin
It's cool that we have right thinking men like you. wink

Your last statement is gender-chauvinistic! angry
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by kinglekan: 12:54pm On May 16, 2015
agarawu23:

Permit me to disagree with you totally on this.

You see one of our major problems is that we are mostly trapped by beliefs, criticisms of others, the norms, standard created by others, etc.

Just like sinizia rightly pointed out, its merely been trapped by dogma. Life should be enjoyed and not trying to meet up with the expectation of others.

Sometimes I really wish I didn't have to grow up in Africa where we are predominantly given to this cycle of; Birth, Education, Money, Marriage, Have Kids, and Death

If this is all there is to living then life is boring and just vain.

There should be more to life than all these. Something that drives us, something we are passionate about.

Even if a lady pursues the above like you said, it still doesn't mean she would get applauded by all, so why care about what people would say?

Marriage is lovely, but then again its between two adults and not a lady and "what the rest of the world thinks".

A successful life shouldn't be defined by these basic things.

1 Like

Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by agarawu23(m): 12:59pm On May 16, 2015
kinglekan:

Permit me to disagree with you totally on this.

You see one of our major problems is that we are mostly trapped by beliefs, criticisms of others, the norms, standard created by others, etc.

Just like sinizia rightly pointed out, its merely been trapped by dogma. Life should be enjoyed and not trying to meet up with the expectation of others.

Sometimes I really wish I didn't have to grow up in Africa where we are predominantly given to this cycle of; Birth, Education, Money, Marriage, Have Kids, and Death

If this is all there is to living then life is boring and just vain.

There should be more to life than all these. Something that drives us, something we are passionate about.

Even if a lady pursues the above like you said, it still doesn't mean she would get applauded by all, so why care about what people would say?

Marriage is lovely, but then again its between two adults and not a lady and "what the rest of the world thinks".

A successful life shouldn't be defined by these basic things.

you have your point bro, but let's judge with the Op 's conversation with the Lady (which brought out his confusion and question)

if it was a normal question I will know how to oppose or support the motion and I blv we cant reason same way.

cool
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by kinglekan: 1:09pm On May 16, 2015
agarawu23:
you have your point bro, but let's judge with the Op 's conversation with the Lady (which brought out his confusion and question)

if it was a normal question I will know how to oppose or support the motion and I blv we cant reason same way.

cool

I get your point bro. cool

Looking at it from another angle, the fact that she responded that way doesn't necessarily mean she has no personal goals.
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by sinizia: 1:10pm On May 16, 2015
VictoriaBee:

It's cool that we have right thinking men like you. wink

Your last statement is gender-chauvinistic! angry

Gender chauvinistic or not, it's the truth. Realism trumps idealism. Men are the gainers in this scenario. How many men have you seen getting bashed for not being married? I can choose not to marry and have a woman born a child for me, and heads will not roll; but if a woman does so, the fangs comes out on her. She get all sorts of derogatory names heaped on her. It's sad, but it's the reality.

Before Peter Okoye married Lola, i saw comments like; "Lola, you no dey shame? You go just dey dey born pikin for Peter, after you no go still marry am." You see how she's getting bashed but no blame on Peter? That's why i said thank God I'm a man. No-one can try that bashing that comes with being unmarried on me. Never!!

1 Like

Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by agarawu23(m): 1:14pm On May 16, 2015
kinglekan:

I get your point bro. cool

Looking at it from another angle, the fact that she responded that way doesn't necessarily mean she has no personal goals.
everybody gat his/her personal goal but you know say ladies get bus stop grin "make hay while the sun shine" cool
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 16, 2015
sinizia:

Gender chauvinistic or not, it's the truth. Realism trumps idealism. Men are the gainers in this scenario. How many men have you seen getting bashed for not being married? I can choose not to marry and have a woman born a child for me, and heads will not roll; but if a woman does so, the fangs comes out on her. She get all sorts of derogatory names heaped on her. It's sad, but it's the reality.

Before Peter Okoye married Lola, i saw comments like; "Lola, you no dey shame? You go just dey dey born pikin for Peter, after you no go still marry am." You see how she's getting bashed but no blame on Peter? That's why i said thank God I'm a man. No-one can try that bashing that comes with being unmarried on me. Never!!
Well, the bashing is mainly on social media by cowards.

In reality, no one dares confront her to talk rubbish.
Like someone rightly opined, internet has really given egoistic men an avenue to display their male-chauvinism. tongue

In the real life, those accomplished ladies don't have time for online kids as they can't even be given an opportunity to converse face-to-face.
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by sinizia: 1:23pm On May 16, 2015
VictoriaBee:

Well, the bashing is mainly on social medias by cowards.

Like someone rightly opined, internet has really given egoistic men an avenue to display their male-chauvinism. tongue

In the real life, those accomplished ladies don't have time for online kids as they can't even be given an opportunity to converse face-to-face.

You just had to find a way to rub it in the face of us men, Miss Chimanda Adiche's stan? angry tongue
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 16, 2015
sinizia:

You just had to find a way to rub it in the face of us men, Miss Chimanda Adiche's stan? angry tongue
Nah, not ALL men.

There are still sensible ones like you.
Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by kinglekan: 1:53pm On May 16, 2015
agarawu23:
everybody gat his/her personal goal but you know say ladies get bus stop grin "make hay while the sun shine" cool

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should Marriage Be A Core Dream/goal? by Hidentity(m): 1:58pm On May 16, 2015
VictoriaBee:

Well, the bashing is mainly on social medias by cowards.

I agree with you friend. Thanks for the well thought out comment. Dear, Social media not medias, I know it was a typo.

(1) (Reply)

He's Considering Gay Marriage / 52 Most Deadliest Ways To Poison A Woman / Do You Keep Count Of The Rounds Of Sex You Have With Your Partner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.