Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,285 members, 7,904,216 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 10:27 AM

Youths: A Future Without Hope? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Youths: A Future Without Hope? (836 Views)

Give The Youths A Chance. Say No To Recycled Leaders. / ‘there Are Many People Without Hope, Help The Poor’ – Obasanjo Speaks / Nigeria: A Nation Without Hope Cos The Youths Are Fraudsters Too (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Youths: A Future Without Hope? by asha80(m): 12:08pm On Feb 12, 2009
Youths: A future without hope? http://www.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4077&Itemid=13:testset
Written by Amiru Halilu, Daura Close off Daura Road, Kaduna.
Friday, 06 February 2009
Recently I was invited to a political gathering where one of the key men in Governor Namadi’s administration was the chief guest. I accepted the invitation only after I was informed that youths development would be the topic of discussion. I however had no idea the meeting was to be attended by people from different areas.

But I must say that I later regretted attending the meeting. This was because I found myself in the midst of people with no future ambition, and who, lamentably, are expected to the leaders of tomorrow as often said.

When the representatives in attendance were called upon to make their submissions, most of them ended up in sycophancy. To my greatest astonishment, no one deemed it relevant to talk about education. No wonder education forms the backbone of every developed nation.

Indeed the only achievement the third speaker thought was worth mentioning was the fact that he was the first person to record a song for Governor Namadi Sambo. What a shame! Imagine a 28 year old, who should have had his first degree if not second by now, but still unserious about life.

When I was asked to make my own contribution, I first ‘queried’ the chief guest why he was late and refuse to offer any explanation to that effect. I then followed it up with asking his views about the standard of education in the state and what the government was doing to improve it. My reason is simple; lack of education has been and will continue to be a clog on the wheel of our progress unless something positive is done about it.

I also advised my fellow youths to stop turning themselves into mere campaign accessories and start working towards planning for their future which is bright. But soon after I had finished making my submission, some unscrupulous people said I should be forced out of the gathering because it wasn’t organized for people like me.

But I thank God, the chief guest who had earlier spoken before me, saw the need to respond to my submission. I was however disturbed with his weird logic when he said if giving priority to education is what I call development, receiving Atampa, motorcycle, sewing machines etc from government is what others call development, adding that he would rather give the people what they want. We really need to reflect about life and get our priorities right.

Amiru Halilu, Daura Close off Daura Road, Kaduna. Haliluamiru@yahoo.com
Re: Youths: A Future Without Hope? by Kobojunkie: 5:03pm On Feb 12, 2009
Sad!!! Really sad!!!
Re: Youths: A Future Without Hope? by Gamine(f): 5:20pm On Feb 12, 2009
It is beyond sad

I heard my neighbours kid. .less than six years old

say, "i hate this Nigeria, poor country with poor poor people, i dont like this country!!!"

i wondered where hope will come from.
Re: Youths: A Future Without Hope? by asha80(m): 5:23pm On Feb 12, 2009
It is beyond sad

I heard my neighbours kid. .less than six years old

say, "i hate this Nigeria, poor country with poor poor people, i dont like this country!!!"

i wondered where hope will come from

shocked sad

(1) (Reply)

Most Smoked In A Day / Oyinbos In Nigeria Website / Union Bank, Intercontinental, 3 Others May Be Acquired

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.