Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,505 members, 7,898,075 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 07:23 AM

"dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " (3049 Views)

Dasukigate: 6 Reasons Why Jonathan Must Be Made To Break His Silence / Dr.reuben Abati Moves To Oxford's SAID Business School (photos) / Twitter Fans Angrily Reply Dr. Reuben Abati. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " by texazzpete(m): 6:24pm On Feb 17, 2009
Moves:

@ Debosky, I want to know if you consider that regardless of whatever being insinuated by Saharareporters; any person of Abati's reputation represents an institution and should have moved to douse any speculations, Dont you think that he owes it to the reading public to reply to such insinuation as they (public) ultimately are responsible for his current status

I repeat for the 100000th time; what incentive does he have to come out with a 'defence' when
1) He's done no wrong
2) He's seen from Keyamo's ordeal that Nigerians are so eager to pull someone down that they'll seize on any words in defence and twist them to make one seem even more evil than originally alleged.

Moves:

If indeed he accepted the allocated land regardless of whether he actually paid for it or not, I personally consider it a stain on his person having read his article "how much land does one Man need"as i would expect him to have rejected such offers knowing fully well the furore it can bring, Did Gani not reject a national honour that he more than deserved, for pete sake A celebrated journalist like him can afford the buy a land in Abuja of private entity and keep his integrity intact without undue questions,

spoilt:

Someone like Dr Reuben Abati should know when to reject a 'gift' , be it paid for, at a discount or whatever. That would ensure he remains blameless while doing his great work. It is true that everyone has a price. Prime plots in Abuja? Hmmmmmmmm. grin grin

How the hell does something paid for constitute a 'gift'? A plot of land paid for is an asset that goes a long way in securing the future of your family, especially in this era of financial meltdown. Why should he reject this allocation just to please self-righteous Nigerians? Do you mean to imply that even the most vehement critics of the stock market and the NSE's DG refrain from buying shares? At least Dele Sobowale of Vanguard is a fierce critic of the Stock Exchange and the CBN, yet he invests like every other Nigerian. Why then should an individual turn down an asset rightfully obtained?

Nigerians in support of this vendetta should hang their heads in shame. After being too cowardly to harangue leaders who overtly robbed Nigeria blind, they desperately try to drag down blameless people in the mud. I'd much rather the Government gave land to upright men than to the same cabal that has robbed Nigeria silly in the past.

Moves:

for pete sake A celebrated journalist like him can afford the buy a land in Abuja of private entity and keep his integrity intact without undue questions,

So in other words, to satisfy a few, self-righteous Nigerians he should spend far more money on acquiring land from real estate dealers abi?
FYI, 'celebrated journalist' does not equal 'stinkingly rich' journalist
Re: "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " by texazzpete(m): 6:27pm On Feb 17, 2009
@debosky
EXACTLY! This is all just rumour mongering at best. Why do we need our Heroes to make grand sacrifices all the time. Could Gani have eaten a National Honour?
Re: "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " by BOSS7: 6:29pm On Feb 17, 2009
No one is saying Abati should remain poor but as we all know him, he was quick to dedicate an article with regards to someone who used his name in one of the usual 419 scams so how come he's keeping quiet on this? I think that's why people are rather puzzled.

Abati never (or almost wouldn't) ignore allegations that could forever stain his name. I find this a bit puzzling myself though I'm on the fence.
Re: "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " by debosky(m): 6:47pm On Feb 17, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

No one is saying Abati should remain poor but as we all know him, he was quick to dedicate an article with regards to someone who used his name in one of the usual 419 scams so how come he's keeping quiet on this? I think that's why people are rather puzzled.

Abati never (or almost wouldn't) ignore allegations that could forever stain his name. I find this a bit puzzling myself though I'm on the fence.
Someone using your name in a 419 scam is completely different from receiving a legitimate allocation which is in contravention of no law, paying with your hard earned money to take possession of the land, and now being ACCUSED by a faceless 'EFCC source' of corruption through a dubious Saharareporters.

Keep quiet about what? That he bought land? Once again, does Abati have to explain that every Nigerian aspires to own land in our capital? He got it legally, he didn't usurp someone's right to land, WHAT IS THERE TO EXPLAIN?

Is an UNKNOWN EFCC SOURCE enough reason to respond? A claim that even market women can make?

I don't see this as a stain on his name - there is no evidence, no link, except from a faceless EFCC official, who could have been created by whomever is in charge at Sahara just to produce an 'exclusive'. Once again, there is NOTHING to respond to.
Re: "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " by Pennywise(m): 6:48pm On Feb 17, 2009
As a keen admirer of Ruben Abati I have to say I have been let down not once but twice in the light of the above. It is bad enough that his weakness allowed him to accept an obvious Greek gift if not a down right bribe payment (for which he should be arrested without delay and investigated), the above cheeky reaction (which he has not disowned yet) is adding salt to the injury of a wounded populace who had trust in him.

Indeed the beautiful ones like they say are not yet born. Abati cannot pretend to be on the side of the masses and at the same time be accepting largesse from a hopelessly corrupt Government he earns a living criticizing. His standing has been diminished irretrievably by this scandal as well as that of his employers the Guardian.Ruben Abati should be sacked if he fails to resign.

Olusegun Adeniyi with whom he draws a corollary indeed is a professional journalist but he works for the Government now and everyone knows that unlike the mole that Abati has turned out to be.

His reaction rather than earn him any sympathy has caused him more damage. He should have kept very quiet and allowed it all to blow away like those he has made a career pursuing
Re: "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " by Moves: 6:56pm On Feb 17, 2009
debosky:

What are you saying really? How is 'how much land does one man need' related to PAYING for ONE PLOT of land in Abuja

Read the Article -he wrote it.then u will see

Why can't Abati get a land allocation approved by the minister directly? Why must he buy 'of a private entity'? ALL Land allocation (whether through 'private entity' or not) is approved by the minister, so what is this talk about 'undue questions'??

National Honour is a different matter all together - it is not your constitutional right to have a national honour. ANYONE is allowed to own land in Abuja, and he got allocated and paid for it.

BUT NOT EVERY ONE IS ALLOCATED A CHOICE LAND IN ABUJA--It is also not a constitution right to be allocated a land in Abuja, It can be deemed as an entitlement due to his standing in society,

This is nothing but rumour mongering. Let people speculate to the high heavens. It is high time we stopped operating by rumours and start sticking to facts.

I dont consider it rumour mongering as they present a documentary evidence to show he was allocated a land, the Issue is not whether he paid for it or Not; but allowing his integrity to be questioned by accepting such as allocation he puts himself in light of corrupt politicians that are greedy for grain, he doesnt work in Abuja does he? He is not a civil servant ? hence he must know and expect that tongues will wag
Re: "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " by debosky(m): 7:28pm On Feb 17, 2009
Moves:

I dont consider it rumour mongering as they present a documentary evidence to show he was allocated a land, the Issue is not whether he paid for it or Not; but allowing his integrity to be questioned by accepting such as allocation he puts himself in light of corrupt politicians that are greedy for grain, he doesnt work in Abuja does he? He is not a civil servant ? [/b]hence he must know and expect that tongues will wag
See me see trouble oh! Does everyone own land ONLY where they work? Even if we accepted such a ludicrous reason, does The Guardian not have an Abuja Bureau/Office that the Editor will visit from time to time ?

Are only civil servants allowed or expected to own land in Abuja??

BUT NOT EVERY ONE IS ALLOCATED A CHOICE LAND IN ABUJA--It is also not a constitution right to be allocated a land in Abuja, It can be deemed as an entitlement due to his standing in society,

Entitlement? Maybe, but there are hundreds of thousands of people who have secured allocations in Abuja without any fuss, why is this a different case? Granted not everyone is allocated choice land in Abuja, but not everyone is allocated choice land anywhere - [b]Must my dad now pack out of his 'choice' land in Lagos because not everyone has land there?

He paid for the land he got allocated - there is NOTHING special or corrupt at that. If the Editor (or CEO) of a Newspaper cannot get ONE piece of land HE PAID FOR without defending himself, what is the world coming to?

This is idle rumour mongering. Yes there is evidence of allocation - that is not in denial. But except for the fertile imagination of the Saharareporters, there is nothing to suggest corruption. WHY SHOULD HE NOT ACCEPT ALLOCATION OF LAND IN ABUJA? Give me ONE cogent reason.

Ordinary people have land allocations from the same body, why not Abati? Is being an editor now a crime that you can't buy land anymore??
Re: "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " by Akolawole(m): 8:15pm On Feb 17, 2009
Waoh!

I dont think Dr Abati could ever descend so low to say ", if you dont beat them, you join them" . I will never believe that.

We shall see(as we say in ibadan)
Re: "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " by Pennywise(m): 9:54am On Feb 18, 2009
debosky:

See me see trouble oh! Does everyone own land ONLY where they work? Even if we accepted such a ludicrous reason, does The Guardian not have an Abuja Bureau/Office that the Editor will visit from time to time ?

Are only civil servants allowed or expected to own land in Abuja??

Entitlement? Maybe, but there are hundreds of thousands of people who have secured allocations in Abuja without any fuss, why is this a different case? Granted not everyone is allocated choice land in Abuja, but not everyone is allocated choice land anywhere - Must my dad now pack out of his 'choice' land in Lagos because not everyone has land there? 

He paid for the land he got allocated - there is NOTHING special or corrupt at that. If the Editor (or CEO) of a Newspaper cannot get ONE piece of land  HE PAID FOR without defending himself, what is the world coming to?

This is idle rumour mongering. Yes there is evidence of allocation - that is not in denial. But except for the fertile imagination of the Saharareporters, there is nothing to suggest corruption. WHY SHOULD HE NOT ACCEPT ALLOCATION OF LAND IN ABUJA? Give me ONE cogent reason.

Ordinary people have land allocations from the same body, why not Abati? Is being an editor now a crime that you can't buy land anymore??

This is begging the question.It is also unfortunately, an irrelevant digression.And people wonder why this country cant move forward? How can it when its elite passionately defend, condone, support and even celebrate blatantly corrupt acts.

Ruben Abati is not any more entitled to that piece of Land than pennywise or any other Nigerian who earns a living through honest means.It is futile to attempt to defend passing lands that have true market value in some cases exceeding N100m to individuals for a pittance on account of Government fiat and then regard that as legitimate transaction. If this is not corruption, then I dont know what is.

Government allocation of land often meant for public use to individuals is one of the yawning acts of corruption in Nigeria today costing the Nation huge amounts of revenue. There are people ready at short notice to pay 10 times whatever Abati paid to Government for that Land for whatever purpose the Government deems the property be utilized.

We dont hear of Governments dealing favours (read bribe) to known critics in advanced democracies this way.The way it is now, Abati has been compromised and so he is incompetent to speak against this act of corruption or any other. Infact whatever he says now is suspect which is why he should be sacked.Of a more subtle danger he constitutes is the fact that he could use his position in the Guardian to censor articles against this and other forms of corruption in this Government.
Re: "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " by redsun(m): 10:31am On Feb 18, 2009
The time of the mainstream media is over,in england,they are hanging on by attaching free gifts like cds,dvds,novels etc to their papers to attract ever dwindling readers.The melt pot of informations is your hand,you don't need no sell-out murderfuckers to tell u what is going on,they are the system puppets,from rupert murdoch to ibru.

All those noise makers are no more important than market women or butchers,how come they are not allocating lands to market women and butchers for free?What right does the government have to dispose the people's resources to who ever is in their good book?

Most of us are mouthing loud about corrupt system but still think it is right for government to bend the rules sometimes.ANIMAL FARM
Re: "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " by Pennywise(m): 10:49am On Feb 18, 2009
redsun:

The time of the mainstream media is over,in england,they are hanging on by attaching free gifts like cds,dvds,novels etc to their papers to attract ever dwindling readers.The melt pot of informations is your hand,you don't need no sell-out murderfuckers to tell u what is going on,they are the system puppets,from rupert murdoch to ibru.

All those noise makers are no more important than market women or butchers,how come they are not allocating lands to market women and butchers for free?What right does the government have to dispose the people's resources to who ever is in their good book?

Most of us are mouthing loud about corrupt system but still think it is right for government to bend the rules sometimes.ANIMAL FARM

Not this opportunistic monkey. He breaks taboo, eats the abominable and seeks to justify it because he has magic in his pen.
Re: "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " by Nobody: 1:19pm On Feb 18, 2009
For how long will he keep mum? I would imagine Dr. Abati wants the issue to die a natural death like "an abiku" (born to die) however unfortunately it's turned "kokumo" (will never die).

He needs to take a stand on this issue like he has done on other issues in the past. He needs to be reminded that so many people are looking up to him (even though followership is gradually being eroded by his mute mode).

Accept claim or threaten litigation NOW!
Re: "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " by tatooboy: 3:41pm On Feb 18, 2009
honestly, i do not want to believe all of that excepts are from Dr. Abati Reuben. Please after reading the thread i wasnt too patient to see if the link on the thread has been supplied. Please whoever posted this should link us to the source to be double sure.

However, if this is Dr. Abati that truly said this, then i will truly now believe that its only God that can never change. if he accepts that he said all these, he must be a shameless, uncouth and an unprincipled man still battling with what to eat and all the little materialisms of life. So collecting land from a government that is seen as being corrupt is a sign of appreciation for a social critic? Land? Let him go and ask El-Rufai himself, the father of all Abuja lands, where is he today?

Reuben, if this is true, ur a shame and disgrace to Nigeria. Always know that the truth must be told no matter how it sounds.
Re: "dr Reuben Abati Breaks His Silence " by comfort3: 5:51am On Feb 19, 2009
:-x

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian / Femi Fani-kayode Referred APC And Buhari As Forces Of Darkness / BREAKING!!!: Lee Kuan Yew Is Dead!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.