Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,179 members, 7,916,448 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 11:59 PM

No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend (1272 Views)

"Crippled Man Rises & Walks At A Catholic Church In Anambra" - Lady Claims (Pics / Free Wedding At A Catholic Church In Enugu - Twitter User / No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by Jeze: 5:23am On Jun 05, 2015
My story goes this way. My name is Justice, a well to do guy living in Ohio, United State. I moved to US about 4 years ago where i studied and presently work as an Auto mobile technologist. I am in my early thirties and my girlfriend for about 2 years is in her late twenties. I met my girlfriend Joan on December 2013 on one of my yearly trip to Nigeria through a friend. We started dating, even though i live abroad and she lives and works in one of the big hospitals in Victoria Island in Lagos as a Lab Tech, we both where committed and communicated at least 2 hours via phone, not to talk about social network everyday. Initially, when we met my girlfriend expressed some concern of me been a Catholic and she one of this new generation churches (Christ embassy) , but we both thought we could work things out till now when my girlfriend told me that if i want to go on with the relationship i would have to leave the Catholic church and attend her church after our marriage. She said the Catholic church in her opinion is not a church a serious christian should be attending, that their ways of worship is not inspiring. She wants to teach me how to pray, speak the word on everything like pastor Chris. Now, i am seriously thinking about her stand on this issue, because i had already bought an engagement ring worth $1800 unknowingly to her. I want to take our relationship to the next level, but her attitude is driving me nut. Please, i need your advise as this not a fake story.
Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by Nobody: 6:33am On Jun 05, 2015
i will be back to comment
Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by christlike31(m): 7:38am On Jun 05, 2015
My advice is this

"Join Christ Embassy"
It's a good place to be. Infact start this Sunday

1 Like

Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by Pchinak: 8:22am On Jun 05, 2015
With all the nice Catholic girls around, you are here whining about $1800 engagement ring as a huge factor to determine your future happiness. I dey bow for people sha o. Pastor Chris now a standard for "serious Christians" Smh. Abeg try dey serious for church, learn about the place you dey first, then you can have a healthy argument with anyone. that will also help you see the reasoning ability of the person you want to marry. If person no know, na so breeze go de turn am round and round like barber chair.

4 Likes

Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by Nobody: 8:24am On Jun 05, 2015
Jeze:
My story goes this way. My name is Justice, a well to do guy living in Ohio, United State. I moved to US about 4 years ago where i studied and presently work as an Auto mobile technologist. I am in my early thirties and my girlfriend for about 2 years is in her late twenties. I met my girlfriend Joan on December 2013 on one of my yearly trip to Nigeria through a friend. We started dating, even though i live abroad and she lives and works in one of the big hospitals in Victoria Island in Lagos as a Lab Tech, we both where committed and communicated at least 2 hours via phone, not to talk about social network everyday. Initially, when we met my girlfriend expressed some concern of me been a Catholic and she one of this new generation churches (Christ embassy) , but we both thought we could work things out till now when my girlfriend told me that if i want to go on with the relationship i would have to leave the Catholic church and attend her church after our marriage. She said the Catholic church in her opinion is not a church a serious christian should be attending, that their ways of worship is not inspiring. She wants to teach me how to pray, speak the word on everything like pastor Chris. Now, i am seriously thinking about her stand on this issue, because i had already bought an engagement ring worth $1800 unknowingly to her. I want to take our relationship to the next level, but her attitude is driving me nut. Please, i need your advise as this not a fake story.
Thats sad. My question is do you believe in the teachings of the Catholic Church? Do you think it is just another denomination? Because as for me the Catholic Church comes first.

3 Likes

Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by kelvine(m): 8:29am On Jun 05, 2015
If we advice you here and you go by what we tell you, will you keep coming back here for counseling when the real pressure of marriage sets in ?
Check yourself deeply the right answer to your question is within you. The value of the engagement ring you bought makes no meaning in this decision. When a man is fully ready for marriage he is prepared to face the future with his own wisdom,he will usually have less questions.
In my own opinion (which is only mine, not suggesting same to you) a lady should subject her beliefs to her husband, for this reason she should only fall in love with suitors whose beliefs she is in agreement with.
If there is conflict in belief system happiness in marriage won't manifest fully.

Ultimately you will live with the consequence of your decision.
Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by Jeze: 8:43am On Jun 05, 2015
@ papist, I am not just a Sunday Catholic. I believe in the Catholic Church and leaving the church is not an opt I option.
Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by nativedoctors(m): 7:34pm On Jun 05, 2015
Jeze:

The greatest freedom in life is the ability to make decision without interference.
Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jun 05, 2015
Jeze:
@ papist, I am not just a Sunday Catholic. I believe in the Catholic Church and leaving the church is not an opt I option.
God bless you brother. I'm glad you are a strong Catholic. Never forget that the Christ Embassy church is a manmade organisation created by Pastor Chris. You cannot leave God's Catholic Church. I hope and pray that God will open your girlfriend's heart to Catholic truth. A lot of Protestants are brought up with false perceptions of Catholic beliefs. Be patient with her, it is not her fault. I advise you keep a Catechism of the Catholic Church close or any Catholic apologetics material so you can explain to her what Catholics actually believe and not the many slanders that Protestants have been taught about the Church. Once again God bless you and your girlfriend.
Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by lastmessenger: 10:44pm On Jun 05, 2015
Op please i beg u with every life and blood in me.dump her sorry ass.
Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by freecocoa(f): 11:11pm On Jun 05, 2015
OP if it were up to me, i'd say, feck religion, it's BS anyways.

I don't think your girlfriend should give such ultimatums, that's totally selfish and unfair, wait so the relationship is based on 'denomination'? I hate all these church talks abeg.

1 Like

Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by Sylvekzee(m): 11:54pm On Jun 05, 2015
Hehehe! See christians ! Confused lots. Dissing each other's beliefs, yet they all purportedly believe the same thing.

FR
Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by italo: 6:38am On Jun 06, 2015
@ Jeez, considering that you're a strong Catholic, I will encourage you to exercise your faith very strongly now.

Pray about it and keep an open mind. You don't know if God wants you to marry her or not. Feelings aside, marriage is not play play.

If I were you, I would stop talking to her and talking more to God. When she notices and complains, I'd tell her the reason I did so is that she has made it clear that there is no chance of her marrying one like me who chooses to remain Catholic, so I'm talking more to God to give me a woman that will accept my remaining in his Catholic Church and probably even be or become Catholic. And I would mean every word of all I said above.

Then I would start looking for a Catholic girl. If she changes her mind early enough, I could return to her. But if she doesn't, or changes it after I have gone far with a Catholic girl, I wouldn't even look back.

Bro, I speak to you, not as a novice, but as one who has first hand experience of issues like this.

I've had to move on from a girl whose dad wanted full Igbo (Edo/Igbo) and though she loved me but she kept echoing her dad's sentiments.

I also had to break a relationship that was heading for marriage because we were both AS.

Lemme whisper this: I dunno of Ohio, but the Catholic Church in Nigeria is full of amazingly pretty girls who have been brought up to value marriage and family. You have no business letting one girl hold you to ransom like this.

We must choose God's Church over any man...or woman.

And may God enlighten your mind and give you the best solution as you work and pray on this issue. Amen.

2 Likes

Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by Jeze: 6:54am On Jun 06, 2015
@Italo, thanks for your advice.
Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by alienvirus: 7:07am On Jun 06, 2015
You love her but she doesn't love you. Love can make one do what others can term silly. Look inward. If she loves you, she goes by your religion.

My advise: There are more than 5 million Catholic girls out there.

Btw I am a Muslim.
Re: No Marriage Because I Am A Catholic By Girlfriend by Nobody: 8:10am On Jun 06, 2015
Bro.. Ask her what about Catholic is not right and listen to her explanations with open mind

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pope Francis Shuns Nigeria, To Visit Kenya, Uganda / God Is Beyond Human Reason / I Want To Change Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.