Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,126 members, 7,943,062 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 01:48 AM

Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every - Sports (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every (101910 Views)

Dead Referee 'Appointed' To Officiate Nigerian League Match / Enyimba Wins The Nigerian League For A Record 7th Time / Nigerian League Best 11 Of All Time. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (78) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 3:20am On Oct 26, 2010
Jalla challenges league board

President of the National Association of Nigerian Footballers (NANF) has challenged the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) to assert its independence and stop the trend of being dictated for by the Nigeria Football Association (NFA).

Miffed by the indefinite postponement of the 2010/2011 league on account of NFA insistence and apparently emboldened by the reprieve NANF got which led to Monday’s withdrawal of the case it instituted against the football house, Jalla told SuperSport.com in Lagos that the problem of the league is self inflicted and will persist until the NPL asserts their autonomy.

“The NFA should not wake up and say do not run the league, NPL is a constituted body, they should fight for their right, then they should be able to go ahead and run their affairs they ways it pleases them not whenever the NFA sneezes the league caught cold.

“It should not be so, they should be able to fight for their right and get their power back so that when they make decision the decision stands, the FA should not be rubber stamping their activities.

“The English FA cannot stop the league, the league is an entity of itself, we have struggled to get our power and right back they should do the same.

Jalla who insisted that the push for autonomy should be total; however, said that is the only way the league board will be held responsible for its deeds and misdeeds.

“Now that the league is not on whom do you hold responsible. Of course, not the league board because they are not in charge but have mortgaged their right and allowed themselves to be tied to the apron string of the FA.

“The situation is so bad that anybody can wake up on the wrong side of the bed and easily announces that the league has been postponed and it will be so while the players suffer. That is not the type of league we want as a nation, we want a league that will be fully responsive and responsible for all its acts.

“These are some of the reforms we are pushing for because the league board must be on their own to do their business, you do not have to stop their activities because the FA is supposed to be an external body to the league board and should be allowed to do their job unhindered.

“But when the FA wants to appoint match commissioners, referees and other committees how will the league function, the league board should say no to outside control and insist on it,” he said.

http://www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/101026/Jalla_challenges_league_board

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 3:22am On Oct 26, 2010
'Only NFF board can end postponement'

Even as anger still rise high in the land over yet another round of postponement of the 2010/2011 Nigeria Premier League (NPL) early slated to start on Saturday, former Super Eagles’ team manager, Mike Umeh has said there is no end in sight for league shift until the board of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) is properly in place.

Insisting that NFF holds the ace, Umeh told SuperSport.com in Lagos on Thursday that until the ills of the NFF are solved, NPL which is an arm of NFF will continue to crawl.

“Well it is unfortunate that things are like this, and once again the league suffers another postponement. It is no fault of anybody and that is why we said that the early this court issue is dispensed with the better for us because you cannot do anything officially accepted without the board of the Nigeria Football Federation. It cannot, so the early these matters are settled the better because for the league to start NFF board has to ratify the committee that will appoint referees, match commissioners, among other things.

“The NPL is an agency of NFF and so NFF cannot sit and watch them take decision without recourse to its parent body. Without the NFF board in place the league will not start because of the logistics involved, so the early the board is back in place the better for everybody. I do not think there is anybody who is enjoying what is happening now.”

The first vice president in the disputed August 26 NFF elections, who expressed optimism that this latest postponement would be the last given positive feelers from the camps of the warring factions to embrace peace, he said that the league will be back and better.

“I can tell you that in a matter of days, Nigerian football will rise again from its self imposed slumber, and not only the league every other thing concerned with football will pick up again,” he said.

It would be recalled NPL board rose from its meeting in Abuja on Wednesday to announce an indefinite postponement of October 23 date early put aside for the 2010/2011 league season to start linking the latest position to the letter from NFF directing the NPL to keep the league on hold for one or two weeks.

http://www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/101023/Only_NFF_board_can_end_postponement

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 6:36pm On Oct 26, 2010
Heartland captain crosses to Wolves

Posted: 2010-10-26 14:08

Heartland captain ThankGod Ike has crossed over to Premier League rivals Warri Wolves along with team mate Emmanuel Omodiagbe.

Ike, a stalwart of Heartland's march to the CAF Champions League final in 2009 and Nigeria's WAFU Cup victory last year, told KickOffNigeria.com that he was offered a better deal by the Warri club.

"Heartland are still owing me 50% of sign on fees from last season, and I am not sure what is going on there right now.

"But Wolves have offered us a very good deal and they have shown seriousness, so it was not difficult to come here."

Also joining Ike and Omodiagbe at Wolves is former Enyimba man Sunday Mbah, who makes the switch from Port Harcourt side Dolphins.

"We have a very good team here and I believe that Warri Wolves can contest for the league title this season," Ike said.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/18476/heartland-captain-thankgod-ike-crosses-to-warri-wolves.php
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by FBS: 7:02am On Oct 27, 2010
Good job honeric01.
How you dey?
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 7:12am On Oct 27, 2010
Thank you bros, i dey oo, how you dey sir?
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by oivind: 7:32am On Oct 27, 2010
Hi! As we all know, it is hard to find trustworthy statistics about the Nigerian Football League. I have now published posts on my page http://westafricanfootball.com/ where I try to summarize the 2009-2010 season with goalscorers and player information. It is almost impossible to make this 100 percent correct so please forgive me if there should be any mistakes.

Best regards, Oivind, Norway
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by medjai(m): 7:04am On Oct 28, 2010
oivind:

Hi! As we all know, it is hard to find trustworthy statistics about the Nigerian Football League. I have now published posts on my page http://westafricanfootball.com/ where I try to summarize the 2009-2010 season with goalscorers and player information. It is almost impossible to make this 100 percent correct so please forgive me if there should be any mistakes.

Best regards, Oivind, Norway
nice job
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by medjai(m): 7:18am On Oct 28, 2010
New NPL kickoff date- 6 November, 2010. Hope it dont get shifted yet again
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 9:43am On Oct 28, 2010
League gets Nov 6 date

Posted: 2010-10-28 06:56

A new kick-off date of November 6 has been approved for the Nigeria Premier League by the board of the Nigeria Football Federation.

The 2010/2011 season has already suffered three postponements, and was due to kick-off last weekend.

But that date had to be put off when match officials could not be appointed as there was no NFF Referees Committee constituted to make the appointments.

That issue has now been resolved, with the committee set up, and the NFF has announced that the league will commence in November.

NPL chairman Davidson Owumi has been asked to appear before the NFF along with the aggrieved Rumson Baribote, former chairman of Bayelsa United, in order to seek a peaceful resolution to the dispute between both men arising out of the elections.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/18502/nigeria-premier-league-gets-november-6-date.php
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by medjai(m): 9:48pm On Oct 29, 2010
I heard the Super cup is this weekend, on Sunday, league winners vs cup winners-
Enyimba Vs Kaduna Utd at the Old Parade Ground in Abuja
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 10:13pm On Oct 29, 2010
^^^^

Yes, also heard from channels, i hope any of the stations will show it.
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by dominique(f): 9:47am On Oct 31, 2010
Which channel will possibly be airing the match? Maybe nta undecided. Hope the new kick-off date don't get shifted again, just heard on channels that they'll be playing mid-week matches alongside weekend matches to makeup for lost time. Useless nff, they wan kil pesin ni? Why should the players have to suffer because of their stupidity and lack of organisation. Nonesense people angry
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 1:15pm On Oct 31, 2010
dominique:

Which channel will possibly be airing the match? Maybe nta undecided. Hope the new kick-off date don't get shifted again, just heard on channels that they'll be playing mid-week matches alongside weekend matches to makeup for lost time. Useless nff, they wan kil pesin ni? Why should the players have to suffer because of their stupidity and lack of organisation. Nonesense people angry

Maybe they will show it, i heard it's for 3pm. I don't see anything wrong with them playing mid-week too, it's currently being done in Spain, Italy and even Uk, they play mid-week too.
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 1:17pm On Oct 31, 2010
Sharks finally return to Nigeria

Players and officials of Sharks FC of Port Harcourt have finally arrived in Nigeria from the Ivory Coast, following their six-nil aggregate success against Stella Club d A’jame of Abidjan in a second leg Wafu Club Championship tie.

The Sharks contingent were billed to arrive earlier than Friday afternoon but the team’s flight to Nigeria was delayed.

General manager of the club, Okey Kpaluku, expressed happiness after the initial display of exasperation. He told SuperSport.com shortly after the team touched down at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport

. ‘We are pleased to have finally arrived in Nigeria. The delay was annoying but these things happen. We will now proceed to Port Harcout to meet our family and friends,” he said.

Sharks were outstanding in the two legs against the Ivorian side as they totally outclassed the opposition without getting out of first gear -- a fact that pleased the team’s talisman, Victor Ezeji.

“This is one of the best we have ever played. However, there are still three matches to play in the competition and the least we can do is to apply ourselves and put in decent performances in the remaining matches,” he told SuperSport.com.

Sharks will now travel to Lome, Togo, later this month, for the semifinals of the competition. Sharks have never won a major trophy since its formation.

http://supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/101029/Sharks_finally_return_toNigeria

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 1:18pm On Oct 31, 2010
Siasia snaps up Inter goalkeeping talent

Heartland Football Club appear to have pulled the rug under the feet of their oriental rivals, Enugu Rangers, in the battle to sign Internazionale Enugu goalkeeping talent, Chinedu Udeh, for the new Premier League season.

For several weeks, the 6 ft 4 Udeh had trained with the Flying Antelopes in Enugu for the new season and coach of Rangers, Alphonsus Dike, was excited by the prospect of the goalkeeper.

Dike had told SuperSport.com earlier this month that he was impressed with the goalkeeper’s performances during training with his side.

But it is Siasia, who won the rights to lure the goalie to Owerri.

However, Udeh told the official website of Inter Enugu that he opted to join the Naze Millionaires in order to change environment since he has spent all his life and career in Enugu with Internazionale.

“I wanted a change of environment and a new scene for my career. I have lived in Enugu and played my football in the city for almost all of my life and now I need to make a move outside the Coal City,” Udeh said.

“I’m happy Heartland came for me at the right time, and I hope to be back to Enugu keeping for Rangers some day. But for now I really need that change of environment.”

The 19-year-old is believed to have signed a pro-contract at Heartland due to the insistence by Siasia that he will only take the goalie on a permanent deal rather than a loan spell as most Inter Enugu have earned in the past weeks with Nigeria Premier League (NPL) side.

Udeh signed a year deal with Heartland with an option of another year sequel to his performance for the Naze Millionaires.

He will face battle for a starting place with Bassey Akpan, Ikechukwu Ezenwa and Austin Brown.

http://supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/101030/Siasia_snaps_up_Inter_goalkeeping_talent

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 1:20pm On Oct 31, 2010
Dolphin Coach lauds “crack NFF squad”

Manager of Dolphin FC of Port Harcourt, Stanley Eguma is certain members of the four newly constituted committees of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) will take Nigerian football to greater heights. Four committees were inaugurated during the second official meeting of the Aminu Maigari-led NFF board on Wednesday and Eguma believes the composition of the technical, appeals, referees and the disciplinary committees is near perfect.

“I was so happy when I realized names like Segun Odegbami, Garba Lawal, Felix Anyansi Agwu, Christian Chukwu Austin Okocha and Adegoye Onigbinde had been made members of the new committees,” Eguma told SuperSport.com.

“These are men who understand how the game is run at the highest level. They are sound and very experienced. I want to congratulated on the appointments and wish them all the best in their latest endeavour,” he said.

The Dolphin supremo also highlighted the importance of the technical committee led by Barrister Chris Green.

“I think that is one of the most important committee. They have the responsibility of selecting a Coach for the Super Eagles and that will not be an easy job. I am confident they will do a good job because the chairman of that committee (Barr Green) is a man I respect so much. He is intelligent, experienced, and objective and knows Nigerian football inside out. I am sure he will do a good job,” he said.

http://supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/101029/Dolphin_Coach_lauds_crack_NFF_squad

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by medjai(m): 7:10am On Nov 01, 2010
Enyimba beat Kaduna Utd 4-2 on penalties to win the Nigerian Super Cup after it ended goaless in regulation time.
This makes it 3 trophies for Enyimba. Hope they do us proud on the continent next season
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by FBS: 8:46am On Nov 01, 2010
The people's elephant!!! cool

And someone will come here now and start talking. . . lipsrsealed grin
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 1:31pm On Nov 01, 2010
^^^^

shame no dey catch enyimba fans abi? Kaduna united beat you people 3 times in a roll lol, una come win just one through penalty, u come dey make mouth grin grin
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 2:48pm On Nov 01, 2010
Osagie misses chance of joining Dolphin

An attempt by Enyimba striker, Junior Osagie, to join rival Nigeria Premier League (NPL) side, Dolphin Football Club, failed to materialise after the player approached the club officials late.

SuperSport.com learnt that Osagie, 25, who had been a major target for Warri Wolves in the past days until talks broke down, had called up officials of Dolphin that he is willing to team up with the side for this season.

But the approach of the former Enugu Rangers’ man came two days late, as Dolphin had already sent their list of provisional squad to the Premier League secretariat in Abuja for registration ahead of the new season.

“Do you know Osagie called us that he wanted to join Dolphin?” An official of the Port Harcourt-based side began in rhetoric with SuperSport.com.

“Osagie actually came to us and wanted to play but he was two days late because our secretary had already gone to Abuja for registration (of our team with the NPL). He could have been a Dolphin player by now if he had showed interest earlier.”

However, this is not the first time that Osagie will be making an attempt to join Dolphin.

In 2005, he was close to completing a switch from Enugu Rangers alongside Edward Ofere but the move was blocked by current NPL chairman, Davidson Owumi, who was then in charge of the Flying Antelopes.

© SuperSport.com

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 2:51pm On Nov 01, 2010
10 to watch in NPL this season

Last term, it was the likes of Godfrey Oboabona, Dele Olorundare, Oke Akpoveta, Austin Kadiri, Ejike Orji, Charles Taylor, Morufu Yusuf, Nasiru Ali, Philemon Daniel, Moses Bunde, James Okwosah, and record scorer, Ahmed Musa, among others who grabbed the headlines for their performances in the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) after making unannounced entries to the top-flight.

This season with these players now known quantities and with the departure of Musa to Europe, SuperSport.com scouts out the Premier League for 10 players that could have the league at their feet by the time the 2010/2011 season ends next year. Five of them have featured in the championship last season as understudies in cameo roles while others are new in the top-flight.

Emeka ‘Yobo’ Eze, Enugu Rangers

He is a fantastic midfielder with great work ethic. Yobo as he is fondly called by fellow teammates at Internazionale Enugu joined Enugu Rangers on a two-year loan deal, which will run out in 2012. In the pre-season friendly games he featured for Inter Enugu, the teenager, who turns 18 on December 22, has been outstanding. His father, a referee and staff with the Enugu state sports ministry, has been a big inspiration to the player, who can break up opposition’s play and set up an offensive style in a flash. Eze can also play in a holding role and little wonder the Flying Antelopes’ head coach, Alphonsus Dike, insisted on having the youngster in his group for the new season.

Chris Madaki, JUTH FC

This left wing back was one of the reasons that Jos University Teaching Hospital (JUTH) Football Club found their way back to the top-flight in Nigeria after a season in the lower league. Last season, 18-year-old Madaki showed that he has a sweet left foot that can hit the ball with so much power behind it and that earned him the sobriquet of Roberto Carlos. The former Keffi United and Plateau United showed how consistent he can be last season in the Nigeria National League (NNL) also known as the National Division I with his tackles and offensive abilities though those performances were blighted by suspensions and injuries along the way. Madaki is no doubt an important player in the setup of JUTH FC playing personnel. Even the club’s head coach, Tunde Rahman, testified to that saying: “His qualities are very important to us on the pitch because he brings so much for us especially when we are on the offensive.” Last season he scored twice, but fans and opponents should look out for his dead-ball skills and pace on the left flank of The Healers in the new season.

Kelvin Kpakor, Kwara United

He is 17 years old and one of the football-playing sons of former Nigeria international, Moses Kpakor. Coincidentally, the same man, who gave his father the chance to play for the Super Eagles in the early 1990s, Clemens Westerhof, took Kelvin under his guidance at the Kwara Football Academy as a football apprentice. Unlike his father, who played in a more defensive role, Kelvin is an offensive and aggressive footballer with an eye for goal. On August 8, the teenager showed what followers of the Premier League should expect from him in the 2010/2011 season when he chipped Sunshine Stars’ goalkeeper, Afeso Attah, from 35 yards during the Super Four in Ijebu-Ode. Little wonder, former African Coach of the Year award winner, Kadiri Ikhana, did not blink before handing the youngster a full contract for the new season. Kelvin Kpakor is known for his strength, pace and ability to shoot with both feet though he is left-footed player.

Ousmane Pape Sane, Sharks

This Senegalese centre-back last season showed that he is a massive player in the art of defending. His ability to keep attackers at bay was one of the reasons that the Blue Angels miraculously escaped relegation after starting their first 10 games without winning a single match. The 26-year-old former Police FC of Senegal defender has been a subject of transfer to Enugu Rangers but the management of Sharks blocked the move since he is regarded as an important part of the Blue Angels. Sane is a strong centre-back, full of pace and a hard-tackler.

Magnus Iwuoha, Enyimba

Little is known about Magnus Iwuoha. Only recently, a blog writer from Norway, Øivind Henrik von Mehren, who specialises on covering football talents in West Africa, contacted this writer to seek information on the former Jigawa Golden Stars’ striker. Definitely that speaks volume about the talent of the Enyimba man. Iwuoha, 21, had little chance to prove himself last season in the colours of six-time Nigerian champions, Enyimba. Last season, Iwuoha got just a handful of appearances for Enyimba and scored just two goals. But when he got his chance to play in the Super Four against Kano Pillars on August 8 inside the Gateway International Stadium, Ijebu-Ode, he responded with a superb goal after he was played through by Rasheed Olabiyi. The petite striker is fast and is known for cameo role at the Peoples Elephant. Enyimba fans will remember how Iwuoha’s 85th minute strike sealed three points at Lobi Stars last season.

George Akpabio, Plateau United

He is strong and has the ability to shoot with precision. Akpabio also has the qualities of good positioning and the ability to dribble. Just few days ago, he completed 17 years and has been named in the seniors of Plateau United for their Premier League campaign in the new season following his impressive performance in the lower league last term in which he finished as the club’s top scorer with eight goals. The striker was groomed through the youth ranks of Plateau United before he was elevated to seniors of the club. Akpabio is one of the reasons Plateau United have found themselves back in the top-flight after six years in the lower league.

Chinedu Udeh, Heartland

Heartland appear to have pulled off a coup in the transfer market by beating their oriental rivals, Enugu Rangers, in signing one of the biggest goalkeeping talents in the professional league in Nigeria. At age 19, Udeh stands at an intimidating 6 ft 4 with sharp reflexes to cut off crosses. Udeh was initially thought to have joined Enugu Rangers for this season on a year loan deal from Inter Enugu before the Naze Millionaires’ coach, Samson Siasia, snapped him up. Enugu Rangers’ coach, Alphonsus Dike, was impressed with what he had seen of the goalkeeper and said: “He has prospects because he has shown that since he came to us. But in spite of his massive talent between the sticks, Udeh will have to compete with other Heartland goalkeepers.

[flash=200,200]http://Joseph Thompson, Kano Pillars[/flash]

His full name is Joseph Atang Thompson and has often been mistaken to have joined Kano Pillars from Enyimba. But the 21-year-old midfielder moved from Cotonsport Garoua of Cameroon to Kano Pillars in 2009 and has played a big role in the middle of the pack for the former Nigerian champions. Thompson plays in the mould of a Mikel John Obi with attributes of shielding, passing and dribbling his way through opponents. He has had little play time in the past, but that might change in the new season with the departure of Solomon Okpako to Panionios, Thompson will be relishing his chance to hit the headlines this season.

Andrew Michael, Ocean Boys

In the title-winning season of his former club, Bayelsa United – now relegated, Michael got a few cameo roles under coach Monday Odigie. But the player, who came through the ranks of the Yenagoa club’s reserves in 2008/2009 season, fell out of the pecking order last season due to the presence of more established players. In the wake of Bayelsa United’s relegation, he moved to city rivals and former champions, Ocean Boys, for the new season. Michael, 19, is strong and pacy on and off the ball and can shoot with both feet. He could finally break the duck at Ocean Boys this season as he is one of those to watch out for this season.

Bright Ejike, Sharks

He was first scouted at the football talent show anchored by John Fashanu before he was reportedly snapped by Enyimba in the 2008/2009 season. He featured prominently in the Super Four of 2009 along with Uche Kalu in attack, as they competed against Bayelsa United, Heartland Football Club and Warri Wolves. But when Okey Emordi joined the Peoples Elephant just before the start of the season, he was surprisingly sent out of loan to Sharks, where he scored seven times and formed a telepathic partnership with Victor Ezeji. The 25-year-old is known for his pace, balance on the ball and dribbles. He can also play from both wings, and is now a setup of the Nigerian Under20s under coach John Obuh, who is also head coach at the Blue Angels. Last season, he is one of the few players that netted a hat-trick. Ejike got a treble against a struggling Zamfara United in the Blue Angels’ five-nil win on April 25, 2010 at the Liberation Stadium in Port Harcourt.

© SuperSport.com

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 2:55pm On Nov 01, 2010
Niger Tornadoes sign 20

The 2010/2011 Nigeria Premier League (NPL) season kicks off in a matter of days and the wheeling and dealing by the twenty clubs in the top flight is approaching fever pitch.

The big and not so big clubs are all getting involved and throwing their weight around in the hope of landing the best buys.

Niger Tornadoes on Minna have been one of the most active in the transfer market. The club has just completed the signing of no fewer than twenty players to help them prosecute their campaign in the league and cup in the coming season.

“Twenty players have joined us for the 2010/2011 season,” Manager of the club, Ladan Bosso told SuperSport.com.

“The coming season will be tough and rigorous and we need a big squad to successfully navigate the treacherous waters. These players all share the philosophy of this club and we are positive of achieving great things this season,” he said.

The former flying eagles coach is however keeping the identities the newly signed players tightly under wraps as he feels making that bit of information classified could be a massive boost to his side’s chances in the new season.

“We don’t want to make the names of the new players public yet because we believe the league should be all about surprises. We can’t afford our opponents the luxury of knowing what they will come up against when they play us. I am satisfied with the quality of players we have signed,” he said.

Bosso was however more forthcoming when queried about the players who had departed for the proverbial greener pastures.

“We have lost important players like David Amanyi, Bolaji Mohammed, David Ochieje, Mansur Salami, and Kelvin Njoku, but we will cope without them,” he said.

Tornadoes open their 2010/2011 campaign at the Bako Kontagora Stadium, Minna on November 7 against newly promoted Crown of Oshogbo.

© SuperSport.com

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 2:58pm On Nov 01, 2010
Wolves fail to lure Enyimba forward

One of the two big-names on the radar of the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) side, Warri Wolves, in the off-season transfer window has rejected a move to join the side from titleholders, Enyimba.

The player’s identity like the other being targeted by Warri Wolves has been revealed as Junior Osagie of Enyimba.

General manager of Wolves, Timi Ebikagboro, confirmed that talks with the former Enugu Rangers man had broken down and that the club will no longer be making a move to bring the striker over from Aba to Warri ahead of the new season, which kicks off on November 6.

“Our talks with him (Osagie) did not go through,” Ebikagboro said. “So we have discontinued discussions with him over signing for us before the start of the season.”

But the spokesman of Warri Wolves did not disclose why talks broke down, but it is believed that the player was holding out for a massive pay, which the club baulked at.

However, Ebikagboro said the discussion for the other player, which he refused to name, is still ongoing since the player is keen to Wolves ahead of the coming since he is unsettled at his present side.

The player is one of those invited for the international friendly match against Iran by the Super Eagles' selectors on November 17 and is a playing staff of a southeastern club.

“For the other player, we are still talking to him and we hope that we can seal a deal if everything goes according to plans. But like I said earlier I will not want to give you out his name because we will not want to put a dent on the amount of work we have done in negotiating with him.

“Also, his privacy is of importance to us and we have agreed to keep things under wrap until we broker a deal since he is not yet our player. If we had gone ahead to announce that we were in talks with Osagie I am sure that people would have thought we are just throwing up names to keep ourselves in the news. But talks broke down with him and we must continue as a big club,” he said.

© SuperSport.com

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 3:00pm On Nov 01, 2010
Onwuachi considers featuring for Greece

Striker Benjamin Onwuachi has declared that he might consider the chance of playing for the national team of Greece after he feels that the selectors of Nigeria’s Super Eagles have snubbed him.

The 26-year-old, who joined Greek club, Kavala, on August 29 this year on a four-year deal, has frowned at the way that players have been called up to the Nigerian team in the past weeks without him being considered.

Onwuachi, who has scored 10 goals in the Greek Super League this season, said he has turned down overtures from Greece in the past since he wants to play for Nigeria but could accept that offer now.

“For some time, Greece wanted me to play for their national team and I have been foot-dragging because I want to represent my country. But seeing how things are going that I am not getting younger, I might just consider that option as I'm getting tired of waiting for a call that is not coming to play for my fatherland.

“When I watch our national team and the way the players that are given opportunities go about playing without commitment, it pains me because I know what competition I am capable of bringing to the team. The way and manner players are called to camp is not the best, I have been consistent in the last three, four years and no one has looked in my way,” he said.

The former Ionikos striker also revealed that he was reduced to tears when the Super Eagles lost to Greece at the 2010 Fifa World Cup in South Africa and explained that he could have made a difference in that game.

“I cried the day we lost to Greece at the World Cup because I know that I would have made the difference even if that was the only game I am allowed to play for my country. I know their players and the goalkeeper is not the best because I have scored against him in the league here (in Greece),” he said.

Prodded further by SuperSport.com that failing to play in more illustrious leagues in Europe such as the Spanish La Liga, the English Premier League and the German Bundesliga or even a big club might be his Achilles’ heel for being snubbed by the Nigerian selectors, Onwuachi responded: “You say it's the league in which I play. Well, the Greek league is the 10th best league in the world and if a player that is consistent and plays in the 10th best league in the world is not good enough for the Nigerian national team, then there is more to it.”

However, the player, who once featured for Juventus in 2003 before he was loaned out to Salernitana a year later, went into rhetoric in trying to find out the yardstick for calling up players to the Nigerian men’s team.

“If being a consistent scorer is not a criteria to get national call up, then what should a player do to get such call up?” he quizzed.

But he pleaded that the Super Eagles’ coaches should look in his way and hand him just a chance to play for Nigeria.

“Let them give me a chance to prove myself. Let all the players be given equal chances. I have paid my dues and I need that one call to prove myself and if I'm not good enough then so be it. But give every good playing Tom, Dick and Harry an equal chance,” said Onwuachi referring to Super Eagles selectors.

© SuperSport.com

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 3:52am On Nov 02, 2010
Bazuaye warns of Enyimba struggles

Daddy Bazuaye has warned Enyimba that unless they resolve player financial issues, the team will struggle this season, especially in the CAF Champions League.

Enyimba are the reigning champions and will represent Nigeria in CAF's premier club competition next season, but Bazuaye says there is unhappiness within the squad.

"Enyimba are a very good side and everybody knows them. They are two-time champions. But players are not happy about the current situation," Bazuaye told KickOffNigeria.com. "In terms of financial, team spirit and morale boosters.

"Those things are not there anymore. They are really lacking right now, and if they do not put those things in order, I don't think they are going to do well in the Champions League," he said.

Enyimba Media Officer Tonnex Chukwunwas miffed by the comments. "Bazuaye is a good junior international who did not move on to the senior team due to gross indiscipline. I think he should restrict his comments to matters on the pitch," Chukwu said.

He did admit though, that Enyimba are going through a difficult patch. "We may be going through bad times, but Enyimba is like a cat with nine lives, and whatever we are going through now, we will overcome.

"In any case, we are still in a much better position than most other teams."

http://www.kickoff.com/news/18580/daddy-bazuaye-warns-of-enyimba-struggles.php

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 8:39pm On Nov 02, 2010
NPL players who left in 2009/10
by Ojeikere Aikhoje 02 November 2010, 13:25

Over the years, the Nigeria Premier League has remained a fertile ground for foreign clubs to scout for players.

Despite the criticism of the league, Nigerian players still remain in hot demand abroad.

The typical Nigerian player has the will to overcome odds and this explains why Nigerians strive even in cold regions like Ukraine, Russia and the Scandinavia.

As the 2010/11 season draws closer, SuperSport.com profiles players who left the Nigerian Premier League for clubs abroad in the 2009/10 season and others who were closely linked with foreign clubs.

Michael Uchebo: Enugu Rangers to VVV Venlo (Holland)

After a brilliant outing for one of Nigeria’s most popular clubs, Enugu Rangers, Uchebo caught the attention of scouts from modest Dutch side, VVV Venlo.

The former Rangers star was a member of Nigeria’s Under-20 squad at the 2009 Africa Youth Championship in Rwanda, but couldn’t make it to the World Youth Championship in Egypt.

Uchebo satisfied the club’s technical crew after trials and is now one of the club’s reliable players.

The former youth international officially joined Venlo in December 2009.

Nduka Ozokwo: Enugu Rangers to Boluspor (Turkey)

Nduka Ozokwo, who is in the mould of Manchester City’s Shaun Wright-Phillips came to limelight at Enugu Rangers. He is a product of Lawrence Akpokona’s coaching tactics.

The youngster got his break at his first and only premier league side, Enugu Rangers.

From Rangers he got an invitation to the Nigerian Under-20 squad and played in the Africa Youth Championship in Republic of Congo as well as the World Youth Championship in Canada 2007.

In July 2007, French side OGC Nice gave him a chance to play football in Europe. At the Côte d'Azur club he played alongside compatriot Onyekachi Apam, also a former Enugu Rangers player.

Unlike Apam, Ozokwo struggled to earn a regular shirt in the French side and eventually left the club on June 30, 2009.

His former club, Enugu Rangers grabbed him as he staged a comeback to the Nigerian Premier League.

However, his return to Rangers was short-lived as he joined Boluspor on January 29, 2010.

Ozokwo has returned to Rangers for the new season.

Uche Agba: Heartland to Club Sportif Sfaxien (Tunisia)

Tunisian side, Club Sportif Sfaxien, which is well known for their interest in players from the Nigerian league monitored Uche Agba during the 2009 Caf champions league when Heartland went all the way to the finals, but lost to eventual champions, TP Mazembe.

Agba was no doubt one of the best players in the Heartland squad.

Despite losing to Mazembe, he was linked to several clubs in the continent and Sfaxien eventually got their man.

King Osanga: Heartland to Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia)

Osanga’s road to stardom began at the cadet level when he earned a place in Nigeria’s Under-17 National team. He won the African championship in Togo and also won the world cup in South-Korea, all in 2007.

His club career began at Akwa United and moved to Heartland in 2009 to boost their Caf champions league squad after representing Nigeria at 2009 Fifa world youth championship. <> The youngster justified his presence in the Heartland squad.

He was one of the most creative players as Heartland zoomed to the finals, but lost to TP Mazembe.

Interestingly, he played against Tunisia’s Etoile du Sahel and this offered the Tunisians a good opportunity to watch him from close range. Heartland battered the Tunisians 3-0 at home and secured a draw on the road.

Like his former teammate, Agba, Osanga was also linked to several clubs in and outside Africa.

In November 2009, he was linked with a move to Tunisian top club, Etoile Sportive du Sahel, which has a strong association with players from the Nigerian league.

The likes of Ogechukwu Obiakor, Emeka Opara, Muri Ogunbiyi and Eric Frimpong are some of the players who have moved to Etoile from Nigeria.

On March 4, 2010, he got a dream move the Sousse based side.

Alex Nkume: Enugu Rangers to VVV Venlo (Holland)

Alex Nkume is another product of the Enugu Rangers football school.

Interestingly, Nkume joined Venlo in December 2009 with his Rangers teammate, Michael Uchebo.

Like Uchebo, he was with the Nigerian Under-20 team at the Rwanda 2009 africa youth championship, but missed the wyc in Egypt.

Nkume has since wormed his way into the first team of Venlo.

Stanley Okoro: Heartland to Almeria (Spain)

‘Little Messi’ as Okoro was called in Nigeria moved to Spanish side, Almeria, this year.

His five-star performance during the Fifa Under-17 World Cup hosted by Nigeria last year earned him global recognition. He was also a member of Heartland’s 2009 Caf champions league squad.

He is now a senior international.

Anthony Ujah: Warri Wolves to Lillestrom (Norway)

Ujah is a forward who began his career at FC Abuja.

From FC Abuja, he moved to Warri Wolves, in 2009 and left in January 2010 to sign for Lillestrøm, a club in Norway’s elite class.

Ujah made his debut on March 14, 2010 against Aalesunds FK.

Aziz Ansah: Heartland to FC Dallas (USA)

Aziz Ansah is an experienced Ghanaian international who has played in several leagues.

He gambled with a move to Heartland and it paid off as the Nigerian side reached the finals.

This earned him a return to the Black Stars. Ansah narrowly missed Ghana’s squad for the Angola 2010 Africa Cup of Nations.

The Ghanaian moved to FC Dallas in America’s Major League Soccer in 2010, but after one month the contract was cancelled.

Eric Frimpong: Enyimba to Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia)

Eric Asamoah Frimpong is a former Niger Tornadoes attacking midfielder-cum-forward who now plays for Tunisian side, Club Sportive Hammam-Lif on loan from Etoile du Sahel.

Eric, who is a younger brother of former Enyimba star and Ghanaian international, Joetex Frimpong, lives with his parents in Nigeria’s Northern city of Minna.

Like his elder brother, he started football in Minna and secured attention from premier league side, Niger Tornadoes.

He had a stint at amateur side, Bida Lions, in neighbouring Bida and finally signed a professional career with Tornadoes, a team that remains very close to his family.

In November 2009, he left Enyimba Aba for Etoile du Sahel and scored on his debut in the Tunis derby against rivals, Club Africain.

Etoile later loaned him to CSHL.

John Owoeri: Heartland to Ismaily (Egypt): Owoeri, who had stints at Holland’s Feyenoord and Belgium’s Westerlo, was at American side, Columbus Crew that has former NPL star, Emmanuel Ekpo.

However, the deal wasn’t fruitful and he returned to Heartland.

The good news is that Owoeri has headed for Egypt’s Ismaily after an impressive performance in the continent with Heartland.

Fengor Ogude: Warri Wolves to Valerenga (Norway)

Ogude made his mark at Warri Wolves and also became one of the popular players in the domestic scene.

Interestingly, he sealed the move to Norway’s Valerenga at a time he was invited to the Super Eagles camp on the eve of the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifier against Madagascar.

Omonigho Temile: Warri Wolves to Valleta (Malta)

Former Nigerian international, Omonigho Temile, started his first campaign abroad in Bulgaria.

However, he returned to home town club, Warri Wolves, in the Nigerian league after an uneventful spell in Russia.

Less than a year after his return, Temile secured a deal at Malta’s Valleta.

Ahmed Musa: Kano Pillars to VVV Venlo (Holland)

Former Kano Pillars star, Ahmed Musa, earned legendary status in the Nigerian League after setting a new All-time goal record of 18 goals to erase the previous efforts of legends like Ishaya Jatau, Eugene Salami and Akarandut Orok.

The feat earned Ahmed a contract at modest Dutch side, VVV Venlo, where has joined two other Nigerians, Michael Uchebo and Alex Nkume.

Indeed, it was a great year for the young Ahmed as he became a junior international and also got a full international cap.

Efe Ambrose: Kaduna United to FC Ashdod (Israel)

Kaduna United fans were really sad to see their famous star, Efe Ambrose, leave for Europe.

Ambrose has been a loyal staff of the Kaduna side and was a member of Nigeria’s squad at the last Olympics, in China, where the team won silver in the football event.

Eugene Salami: Niger Tornadoes to Al-Ahly (Egypt)

Salami was unknown at Lobi Stars, but his story changed when he joined Niger Tornadoes.

He scored 17 goals and became a target of foreign teams like Belgium’s Westerlo and Israel’s Maccabi Haifa.

The forward is on trials at Africa’s most successful side, Al-Ahly in Egypt.

Solomon Okpako: Kano Pillars to Palonios (Greece)

Okpako had a great time at Kano Pillars when the club campaigned in the Caf Champions League.

He continued last term and was scouted by modest Greek side, Palonios.

Signswonder Chibambo: Heartland to El-Masry (Egypt)

Zambian International, Signswonder Chibambo made history as the first East African to play in Nigeria.

The settled at Heartland and became a favourite of the fans. He made an impact as Heartland reached the 2009 Caf Champions League finals.

Chibambo moved to Egypt’s El-Masry, but later returned to his Nigerian team.

http://www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/101102/NPL_players_who_left_in_200910
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 8:45pm On Nov 02, 2010
Wafu Cup delays Ezeji’s Rangers deal
by Ojeikere Aikhoje 02 November 2010, 13:21

The impressive performance of Sharks in the sub-regional Wafu cup has delayed the transfer of experienced forward, Victor Ezeji to rivals, Enugu Rangers.

Sharks qualified for the final stage of the competition which holds in December and the forward is expected to play a key role as the clubs seeks its first title.

The forward has put his name in the score sheet in the club’s Wafu campaign.

“I can’t play for Sharks and Rangers at the same time. So I have to wait till Week 9 when the transfer window reopens to decide my future with the team. It would be my decision to remain or not. I believe my transfer to Rangers will be a reality,” Ezeji told SuperSport.com.

Sharks secretary, Cyril Wite, confirmed that club and player have since agreed to a new deal.

“Ezeji is one of the players registered for the new season. He has played a key role in our Wafu Cup campaign and we believe his experience will be an advantage when the season begins,” he said to SuperSport.com.

The transfer of Victor Ezeji to Rangers has since become the most discussed in recent times.

Rangers celebrated his arrival last season, but the forward had to return to Sharks when negotiations failed.

© SuperSport.com

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 8:47pm On Nov 02, 2010
Plateau’s Olaniyi to miss league opener
by Sammy Wejinya 02 November 2010, 13:13

Plateau United star midfielder, Olayinka Olaniyi will miss his side’s opening day clash against former champions of the Nigeria Premier League (NPL), Dolphin.

Olaniyi is suffering from a groin injury which will keep him out for the next two weeks.

“There is no point denying it. Olaniyi’s absence is a huge blow. The boy is too good and he really knows how to dictate the pace of the game thanks to his pace, skill vision and all round ability. However, I have a suitable replacement and hopefully, we will cope,” coach of the team, Ndubuisi Nduka Nduka told SuperSport.com.

The former Dolphin assistant coach also praised the new players for fitting seamlessly into the side noting that several peerless performances would be on the cards.

Big guns like Obinna Nwokolo (Sunshine Stars), Dimka Nwononye, Edward Bewerang and Abdul Isa (all from Gombe United) are some of the new arrivals at thenewly promoted club.

Other new arrivals include Peter Gyang (Wikki Tourists), Sele George (Bayelsa United), Tochukwu Edom (Anambra Pillars), Solomon Bitrus (Dolphin), Waziri Kabiru (Enyimba) and the duo of Eze Wobike, Abayomi Olorunda (both from Sharks).

“The boys have all fitted in well without any problems and hopefully, we would achieve great things this season,” he said. Plateau United begin their 2010/2011 NPL season with a home game against Dolphin on November 7.

© SuperSport.com
Print
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by rasputinn(m): 8:55am On Nov 03, 2010
Now the teams are gonna play two games per week.With the penchant for the teams to travel by road and the terrible state of Nigerian roads,I foresee a chaotic situation where teams will find it impossible to make it back from their previous match venue and even the home teams will not be awarded walk over points as they themselves will be trapped on one of the numerous bad roads on their way from their own previous match
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 10:05am On Nov 03, 2010
rasputinn:

Now the teams are gonna play two games per week.With the penchant for the teams to travel by road and the terrible state of Nigerian roads,I foresee a chaotic situation where teams will find it impossible to make it back from their previous match venue and even the home teams will not be awarded walk over points as they themselves will be trapped on one of the numerous bad roads on their way from their own previous match

NPL: No midweek games

Posted: 2010-11-02 21:20

The Nigeria Premier League have foreclosed the idea of midweek games for the immediate future.

Three postponements of the league's kick-off date means the competition is now way behind schedule and there were suggestions that midweek games would be used to make up for lost time.

But an NPL statement on Tuesday poured cold water on those suggestions, at least until sponsorship is secured.

"Only weekend matches will be played for now until title sponsorship is secured," the NPL release read.

The league body also warned clubs whose stadia are on its readiness watch list, to arrange for final inspection by November 3, or be forced to use alternative venues.

Kwara United's Offa Township Stadium, and Niger Tornadoes' Mamman Kontagora Stadium, two venues previously under that watch list, have passed muster, and been given provisional certification.

Others clubs still facing the possibility of playing outside their home grounds are Gombe United, Zamfara United and 3SC.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/18598/nigeria-premier-league-no-midweek-games.php

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 10:08am On Nov 03, 2010
NPL announce Media Committee

The Nigeria Premier has announced a 10-person Media/Awards Committee headed by executive committee member Akin Akinbobolal as chairman.

Members of the committee, which is populated by practicing journalists, include KickOff's Colin Udoh, Toyin Ibitoye, Ejiro Femi Babafemi, Victor Iroele, Saidu Abubakar and Bode Oguntuyi.

One representative from the NPL's prospective Title Sponsor and the body's Head of Competitions complete the list.

The decision was approved at a board meeting on Tuesday in Abuja.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/18600/nigeria-premier-league-announce-media-committee.php

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 7:43pm On Nov 04, 2010
I need 20 clean sheets - Odah

Sharks keeper, Okiemute Odah has highlighted the importance of a solid backline if his side is to effectively challenge for honours in the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) in the coming season.

Sharks had an underwhelming campaign last term, narrowly avoiding relegation as they shipped in goals at will.

Odah says that aspect of the team’s game must change as they seek to win the league for the first time.

“I sincerely believe we can win the league this season. We have some very good players and the core of the team is till together,” Odah told SuperSport.com.

“I also believe we will begin the season very well because unlike the other 19 teams in the league, we have been playing competitively in the Wafu Cup. That will really give us a good head start,” he said.

Sharks have been quite impressive in the Wafu Cup where they have been installed as the firm favourites to win the title following their impressive six-nil annihilation of the Ivoirian side, Stella Club d’Ajdame.

Sharks are now in the last four of the competition, and they owe much to their outstanding goalkeeping genius who has been full of spectacular dare devil saves in the course of the competition.

“I know I have done well but it is a team game and my teammates especially strikers like (Ebitimi) Agogo (Bright) Ejike and Victor Ezeji. They are the ones who have been scoring all the goals to help us get to where we are in the Wafu cap,” Odah said.

The agile shot stopper is now desperate to transfer his good form to the Nigeria Premier League.

“We disappointed our fans last season and we must make sure things go better this time this season.

As the last man in defence, all eyes is always on the keeper…I am used to pressure and I will continue to do my best, I am aiming to get at least twenty clean sheets this season,” he said.

http://www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/101104/I_need_20_clean_sheets_Odah

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (78) (Reply)

Is Chidozie Awaziem The Most Handsome Super Eagles Player? / Dannie Daniella Okocha And Her Boyfriend In London (Photos) / Ivory Coast. Vs Nigeria: AFCON 2023: 0 - 1 On 18th January 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.