Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,337 members, 7,907,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 03:25 PM

This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. (11510 Views)

Graphic Photo: 22-Year-Old Man Set Ablaze By Father Dies In Omu-Aran / 2 Okada Snatchers Nabbed, Beaten To Death And Set Ablaze In Abuja (Graphic Pic) / Robbers Who Stole Huge Sum Of Money Set Ablaze By Mob In Anambra(Graphics Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by Seun(m): 6:51pm On Oct 22, 2005
We got a report that recently, an 11 year old boy was publicly set ablaze in Lagos, and the event shown on TV. Let's call on the Government to arrest the perpatrators, prosecute them, and charge them to court for first degree murder. All of them should be sentenced to death for this barbaric act. Let's honor the memory of young Samuel by punishing his killers. Afterall, it was captured on tape.
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by adesodgi(m): 7:02pm On Oct 22, 2005
seun am in support with your point,but how do we call the gov.and again i don't believe in solving evil with evil,i think they need to be punished not sentenced to death.because the deed has already been done,lets just pray for the boys soul to find a resting place in Gods bossom..
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by nferyn(m): 7:06pm On Oct 22, 2005
Maybe you people in Nigeria can start some petition. I don't know how much good that would do, but at least it's a start.

If anyone would start that, I'm willing to do my share and collect signatures here in Belgium
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by nddy(m): 7:20pm On Oct 22, 2005
i wouldnt be part of this, i have no faith in Nigerian system of GOvernment., The media could have intervened before he killed. They captured it ., why didnt they do something.
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by SirKay3(m): 7:25pm On Oct 22, 2005
Since it's on tape, I believe that's an evidence enough to prosecute the perpetrators of this dastardly act.

But................... we all know our country sha
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by nferyn(m): 7:36pm On Oct 22, 2005
If everybody is sitting on the side and waiting for someone else nothing is going to happen for sure. Even if it amounts to nothing, it shows civil sense and that is worth it in itself.

If however there would be any danger involved in starting such a petition, that would make it understandable when you don't want to get tangled up in this. But then again, somone with the courage to start up something like that is very praiseworthy
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by Seun(m): 7:58pm On Oct 22, 2005
The people involved are not to be feared because they are common people, not highly placed.

There are a lot of people in Lagos that have gotten a similar treatment. The only thing that's different about this one is that:
- It was a young child.
- The event was captured on tape and shown on TV.

Under normal circumstances, I don't believe in the death penalty. However, if you can raise up your hands to beat and kill an 11 year old child, then you deserve to be punished to the full extent of the law.

The people that brought the fuel and the person that set him ablaze should suffer the maximum penalty for murder (in Nigeria, this is capital punishment). Those that raised their hands to beat up the child should be charged for battery and assault and maybe manslaughter. Those who were around and were watching instead of reporting to the police should be charged for negligence (yes, this includes the journalist that shot the video).

This sort of thing happens very often in Lagos, but most of the time it's a 20-30 year old male and it gets no press coverage.
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by onore(f): 8:01pm On Oct 22, 2005
this country is not safe anymore shocked.pls help me plead with the american embassy to giv a visa grin
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by boatbaby(f): 8:16pm On Oct 22, 2005
i will say that those people that did that bat thing has no conscience and they should be put to death as well to keep the boy company, because if they should be kept alive they might so something more than that
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by mycutiepie(f): 8:34pm On Oct 22, 2005
onore:

this country is not safe anymore shocked.please help me plead with the american embassy to giv a visa grin
Lol!!! tongue Am not even gonna plead with them, you know what we gonna do? i will take you to the embassy and show them my blue pali and one time, you will be granted multiple visa without the normal interview.. take that rolleyes
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by bagoma(f): 8:36pm On Oct 22, 2005
I saw the horor clip only this morning on "sunrise" channels tv. i couldn't believe my eyes. i imagined that boy being my son. it left me cold all morning. the burning question left in my mind is this; "why couldnt the pressman do anything?" i could just imagine him/her filming the whole sordid thing while that boy begged for his life. if he could still point his camera and film that scene then he should also be made to face questioning. he was there, what was more important? getting a scoop and advancing himself or saving a life. An eleven year-old life!
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by jenny247(f): 8:44pm On Oct 22, 2005
nddy:

i wouldnt be part of this, i have no faith in Nigerian system of GOvernment., The media could have intervened before he killed. They captured it ., why didnt they do something.
i can understand how you feel nddy, but we can't just continue to allow these things happen. lets make an attempt at least. the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. if we keep waiting for someone else to do something, maybe no one will. we are one voice, lets speak out loud. it's really sad embarassed
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by mycutiepie(f): 8:53pm On Oct 22, 2005
Seun:

The people involved are not to be feared because they are common people, not highly placed.

There are a lot of people in Lagos that have gotten a similar treatment. The only thing that's different about this one is that:
- It was a young child.
- The event was captured on tape and shown on TV.

Under normal circumstances, I don't believe in the death penalty. However, if you can raise up your hands to beat and kill an 11 year old child, then you deserve to be punished to the full extent of the law.

The people that brought the fuel and the person that set him ablaze should suffer the maximum penalty for murder (in Nigeria, this is capital punishment). Those that raised their hands to beat up the child should be charged for battery and assault and maybe manslaughter. Those who were around and were watching instead of reporting to the police should be charged for negligence (yes, this includes the journalist that shot the video).

This sort of thing happens very often in Lagos, but most of the time it's a 20-30 year old male and it gets no press coverage.

This is just too sad, cry cry cry when i first read it earlier on a site , i was so shocked and was like" what is Nigeria turning into?, what a poor boy? what about his parents fate?no other child or person can replace their precious child and if the boy had died the day he was born, then we knew God took him BUT thru this incident  shocked he was murdered @ the age of 11, he is just growing and enjoying life. Are we gonna open our eyes and see these murderers go scot free just like that? shocked".

It's so sad that am not around but am going back soon as I hope to get all chidren that i could gather around and take them all to the national assembly or wherever i find out we can go , with a gigantic pictures of the poor boy, this is not gonna be a riot, I will ensure it doesn't affect other poor masses negatively.... let me pause here as am open to new ideas and am ready to join hands with anyone that wants to fight injustice. cry
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by WesleyanA(f): 9:00pm On Oct 22, 2005
nddy:

@ goodguy. some people take ESL (english as second language) because swearing and cursing is their first language see.
 <-- one for you and the other for me.

immigrant you took ESOL so why are you trying to act like you didnt take it

not every immigrant takes ESL because i didn't  cool
I actually had to do a google search to find out what ESOL meant . i bet you had to take it twice.
i'm  taking AP english comp. FYI  

back to the topic. . .i remember when i was 6 or so. i was walking to a family friends' house and saw this dead (burnt) man on the mainroad with tires over him(they said he was a thief or something like that). that's the first dead person i ever saw in my life and had nightmares for days.
i don't think little kids should be allowed to witness stuff like this..... not to talk of a little kid actually becoming a victim.
those men (i'm pretty sure they were men) should be sentenced to life. i wonder how they go to bed everynight.
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by mycutiepie(f): 9:02pm On Oct 22, 2005
bagoma:

I saw the horor clip only this morning on "sunrise" channels tv. i couldn't believe my eyes. i imagined that boy being my son. it left me cold all morning. the burning question left in my mind is this; "why couldnt the pressman do anything?" i could just imagine him/her filming the whole sordid thing while that boy begged for his life. if he could still point his camera and film that scene then he should also be made to face questioning. he was there, what was more important? getting a scoop and advancing himself or saving a life. An eleven year-old life!

I agree with you. I had been so sad ever since i first read the news on the sun. I wonder what would have become of me if i had watched the video. I will ensure that the press man must be fished out and been punished. This is not about job advancement as you said, this is one's man child, who knows if that boy is his parents only child? And he/she stood there capturing it? That's Nigeria, I wonder if people will give that nation a chance to advance because there were lots of people watching that horror like they were watching a movie. And the worst part is that i believe and know that there were lots of mothers at the scene watching the poor boy's life got wasted embarassed what sort of mothers are those? Every one at the scene must be punished.

Please, I haven't had the priviledge to read or listen to what our government has said or done about this, please anyone with infos or links shoulsd let me know. Gbogbo won ti daran ni agbara Olorun. Please this is crucial ,please provide me links especially with Obasanjo, Bola Tinubu and The Head of Police or whateva he is called of lagos state cryThanks.. let me stop here, am getting so emotional with tears now
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by WesleyanA(f): 9:11pm On Oct 22, 2005
mycutiepie:

I will ensure that the press man must be fished out and been punished.

the guy was doing his job. do you think we'll be discussing this now if he hadn't been there to get the news.
why kill the messanger for bad news?.
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by vexxy(f): 9:12pm On Oct 22, 2005
If this barbaric act was caught on film and broadcasted on tv surly the government or a government offical has seen it.  Has there been any word from them stating how it will be dealt with?

If one were to call on the government what steps could be taken?  How can we organize this?  Surly this is something we can do to bring it to their attention and if they already know (most likely) there must be something we can do to call them to action.
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by vexxy(f): 9:14pm On Oct 22, 2005
WesleyanA:

the guy was doing his job. do you think we'll be discussing this now if he hadn't been there to get the news.
why kill the messanger for bad news?.

I don't think he's the messenger of bad news as much as he is a passive individual that had power to do something but did nothing.

He could have very easily put down his camera and done something, anything to save this boy or at least fight for him.
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by sliq(m): 9:17pm On Oct 22, 2005
[center]I heard of it from my girlfriend she was close to tears when
she told me about it though i didnt think of it deeply then
but now, This is wickedness of the highest order.
An eleven year old!!! even if he really kidnapped the baby
which they claimed was the reason for killing him he didnt deserve death.
Seun i really dont know if the Government can help us out on this
but i'll do mine.i'll write about the story in the next edition of my newspaper
MAY HIS GENTLE SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE (AMEN)  sad
[/center]
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by WesleyanA(f): 9:18pm On Oct 22, 2005
vexxy:

I don't think he's the messenger of bad news as much as he is a passive individual that had power to do something but did nothing.
He could have very easily put down his camera and done something, anything to save this boy or at least fight for him.

the other 50 men that begged for the boy had power do do something but did nothing right?

fight for him and get himself burned with the kid right?

in the OP's words: "The boy begged and men numbering about 50 ...no one could plead for this boy ...even the woman there denied the boy."
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by vexxy(f): 9:22pm On Oct 22, 2005
Those 50 other guys could have very well been waiting for someone else to stop him. Everyone waiting for someone adds up to nothing being done.

Things like this need to stop and one would need support from the government but it is also up to the people the "grass roots" as they say. Those who are in the midst of it need to also make a change and start by intervening when something like this is happening.

I'd bet with my life that that poor little boy was not waiting for 50 people to help, he was waiting for one person, one person to do something, anything to save him. Just one. But no one came.
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by nferyn(m): 9:35pm On Oct 22, 2005
vexxy:

[SNIP]
I'd bet with my life that that poor little boy was not waiting for 50 people to help, he was waiting for one person, one person to do something, anything to save him. Just one. But no one came.

Now, if one, just one person in Nigeria could organise some civil action against this like a petition.
It won't bring back the poor boy, but it may prevent these things from happening again if enough people make noise.

Some nine years ago, a sick pervert in Belgium, Marc Dutroux, kidnapped, raped and killed several young girls over the course of several years. The police and judiciary could not solve this. Once they freed the last two kidnapped girls, the disfunction of the police and judiciary was brought in full daylight.
More that 120000 people (out of a 10 million population) took the streets in protest and remembrance.

The result of this was a reform of both the police forces and the judiciary so that something like that wouldn't happen again

Why wouldn't that be possible in Nigeria?
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by WesleyanA(f): 9:38pm On Oct 22, 2005
i don't get you.
vexxy:

Those 50 other guys could have very well been waiting for someone else to stop him. Everyone waiting for someone adds up to nothing being done.

Things like this need to stop and one would need support from the government but it is also up to the people the "grass roots" as they say. Those who are in the midst of it need to also make a change and start by intervening when something like this is happening.

weird stuff.
worse stuff is going on in the northern sharia states where people are being amputated on a regular basis in the name of "religion" and not even the president can do something about it.
why do you say the boy would have been saved only if the journalist had put down his camera and fought? the boy was waiting for the journalist to help?
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by mycutiepie(f): 9:39pm On Oct 22, 2005
WesleyanA:

the guy was doing his job. do you think we'll be discussing this now if he hadn't been there to get the news. why kill the messanger for bad news?. [/b]

Pls Wes, you said the guy was doing his job? So you would have done the same if you were in his shoes right? cos that is the meaning of the reply you just made to my post. And you meant that if he hadn't captured the scene, we wouldn't be discussing this by now... Is this really a good news or events to be discussing? this could have been stopped instead of it happening in the first place cos there are still lots of issues affecting us we can discuss about. Wes, do you realise this is son\meone's life that was taken just like that of an ileya ram. I wonder if you get my point. Moreso, i neva mentioned that am gonna kill or make them kill him cos there are other ways he can be punished. Thanks

NB: And when they were trying to gather stuffs and kill the boy or when they were beating him, he captured that too.. there he would have stopped and intervened. wat i wanna get out of this note is that, we could still talk about the video cos they battered the poor boy and this press guy intervened, then he would be given credit and that could enhance the almighty job advancement
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by mycutiepie(f): 9:46pm On Oct 22, 2005
vexxy:

I can feel you vexxy, thanks for responding. At least people around him saw he was a camera man or journalist.. whateva his title is/was, if he had intervened and let those people know there is law and put senses into their brains at the scene, scaring them one way or the other, like the police are coming, commisioner or whateva that can work, and am sure that could have stopped them as he tries to help the poor boy while he tells someone to call the police if he can't. I strongly believe this could have been prevented one way or the other.
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by Seun(m): 9:48pm On Oct 22, 2005
This sort of thing has been happening to young men between the ages 18-30 for a long time. They would be accused of stealing and then lynched on the spot. If we had stopped it when it was happening to other young men, it would not have happened to a child.

Stealing is not a crime that justifies killing and even a convicted murderer has rights.
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by WesleyanA(f): 9:52pm On Oct 22, 2005
mycutiepie:

Please Wes, you said the guy was doing his job? So you would have done the same if you were in his shoes right? because that is the meaning of the reply you just made to my post. And you meant that if he hadn't captured the scene, we wouldn't be discussing this by now... Is this really a good news or events to be discussing? this could have been stopped instead of it happening in the first place because there are still lots of issues affecting us we can discuss about. Wes, do you realise this is son\meone's life that was taken just like that of an ileya ram. I wonder if you get my point. Moreso, i never mentioned that am going to kill or make them kill him because there are other ways he can be punished. Thanks

NB: And when they were trying to gather stuffs and kill the boy or when they were beating him, he captured that too.. there he would have stopped and intervened. what i want to get out of this note is that, we could still talk about the video because they battered the poor boy and this press guy intervened, then he would be given credit and that could enhance the almighty job advancement

i agree with you, this isn't good news to be discussing but don't you think it's better for the pubic to know what's going on inthe country than let stuff like this go unnoticed just because it's "bad news".. .  discussing it is looking for ways to prevent it from occuring again.

We hear bad news everyday and we hear good ones to. why blame the journalist for the death. how about the men who actually set the kid on fire?

do you know how many journalist lost their lives each year for engaging in risky coverages like this where they could get killed but they remain just to enlighten the public and keep them in check of what's going on in the country. (example of this is the war going on in Iraq. many journalist get kidnapped and killed).

the guy can't be blamed for anything. . . blame the killers instead!!!!

"punishing an 11 year old by death for trying to kidnapp a baby". "punishing a journalist for covering the news". they sound alike don't they huh?
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by schngrg(m): 9:52pm On Oct 22, 2005
"I'd bet with my life that that poor little boy was not waiting for 50 people to help, he was waiting for one person, one person to do something, anything to save him. Just one. But no one came."

The fate of mankind is doomed not because of the [b]million [/b]evil-doers who do bad, but because of the [b]few [/b]good people who do not do good.

So promise yourself that next time YOU get an opportunity to do something good, you WILL use it. No matter how small a thing it is, maybe as small as offering a seat to an old person in a crowded bus/train (I can't believe how many people who WANT to do this, don't do it because they feel SHY of doing it.).

Instead of blaming others, let US make this world a better place to live in. If you can't do that, you have NO RIGHT to blame that reporter or anyone in that 50+ people crowd.

Sachin Garg [India]
http://www.sachingarg.com

by the way, if you think that its someelse's job to step ahead and start the petitioning process, what makes YOU any different from any of those 50+ people? (Instead of pondering over that dead kid, ponder over yourself)
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by Seun(m): 9:53pm On Oct 22, 2005
The original poster did not mean to say that 50 men and women were begging for the boy. He meant to say that out of the 50 men in the area, none of them chose to beg for him and even the women disowned him (instead of begging for him).

Unles I'm getting this all wrong, nobody begged for the boy, because no-one wanted to be associated with him.
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by WesleyanA(f): 9:54pm On Oct 22, 2005
oh my bad. so don't blame the journalist then. blame the 50 men who refused to beg for the boy.
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by Scorpio(f): 9:56pm On Oct 22, 2005
Whatever y'all want to do, i'm in cos i don't support it in any way. If it's Petitions or we'll have to call in, wtv it is, i'm in.
Re: This is Barbaric! 11 Year Old Set Ablaze in Lagos. God Have Mercy on Us. by WesleyanA(f): 9:57pm On Oct 22, 2005
me neither. this is plain injustice!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures Of Nigerian Prostitutes Languishing In Europe / Deborah Samuel's Murder: A Case Of Social Injustice - Okediji Prosper / Land Dispute: Police Release Ajudua On Bail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.