Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,824 members, 7,902,630 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 July 2024 at 01:29 PM

Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? (20645 Views)

Man Slammed Online For Saving Mother Instead Of Wife; Who Would You Have Saved? / Nigeria:a Nation Of Wife Beaters? / Wife-beaters -understanding Your Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by babygirlfl: 5:45pm On Jun 18, 2015
shaybebaby:
sooooo this is the hangout zone babygirlfl, i dey come...make i start the story from the beginning grin

My madam carry go
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by shaybebaby(f): 5:51pm On Jun 18, 2015
5minsmadness:

If this were true there'd be fewer cases of cheating in marriage.
Most men will simply look for a willing woman outside instead of forcing their way on an unwilling wife.

Do you demand to have sex even when your wife disagrees an then go ahead to do it?

Did you dad do it? Your uncles? Brothers? Forget social media jazz and be honest now.
Not necessarily true. In that instance, it's a case of convenience, even a form of punishment, heat in the moment thing where the man simply refuses to accept no. Whatever the reason, it is hardly premeditated(except in the cases of serial rapists) and opportunistic.
Asking whether a man(or woman) has committed such and expecting an honest answer is unrealistic. first, even if it not legally recognized as a crime, morally and i would assume that most have a moral compass of some sort but choose to quieten it at will, know inherently that such an act is wrong and would not openly admit it. On the part of the person who has been raped, there is still a lot of stigma attached even when you are the victim, a sense of shame that comes from being abused. That shame (as if they were in some way complicit and brought it upon themselves) is what leads them not to answer openly. So asking pointedly, is not going to get an admission either from the perpetrators or the victims.
PSYCHOLOGICAL SYMPTOMS OF RAPE TRAUMA SYNDROME

Psychological symptoms are much less visible and can in fact be completely hidden to others so survivors need to offer this information or be carefully and sensitively questioned in order to elicit them. They generally refer to inner thoughts, ideas and emotions.

Increased fear and anxiety.
Self-blame and guilt.
Helplessness, no longer feeling in control of her life.
Humiliation and shame.
Lowering of her self esteem
Feeling dirty or contaminated by the rape
Anger
Feeling alone and that no one understands.
Losing hope in the future.
Emotional numbness.
Confusion
source:http://rapecrisis.org.za/information-for-survivors/rape-trauma-syndrome/

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 18, 2015
VictoriaBee:
Royalroy, your biasness is obvious, a dude was insulted here and I reported but you didn't delete their posts.

I just mentioned ewuro now and you came to delete my post. Ishilove! undecided
Funny enough, I even mentioned him. cry

Truth..nl post directed at me was hidden by Ishilove when I woke up, I saw it unhidden and mine calling mods hidden.
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jun 18, 2015
Shollypopzz post hidden and ones insulting me unhidden. grin
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by RoyalRoy(m): 6:01pm On Jun 18, 2015
FrancisTony:

Truth..nl post directed at me was hidden by Ishilove when I woke up, I saw it unhidden and mine calling mods hidden.

Being bias is not the issue

The reason why you reported the post is..

Have u seen TruthNl around here since then?

Dont jump to conclusions.

Cheers man!!
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 18, 2015
freecocoa:

Sometimes I even think, the women themselves don't want a change, many Nigerian women are intellectually lazy, they fear responsibility like mad, they just want to manage to graduate, get married, have babies and enjoy their husband's money.

My sister, you do not know the power of mental slavery and systematic forms of oppression.

I don't think they are intellectually lazy, I think they are scared. Before she says a word about leaving her abusive husband, there are many to remind her that men will find her undesirable, and that she would never be happy. Imagine freecocoa, if we begin to show these women, other women like themselves who left their abusive marriages and are now happily married or happily single/financially comfortable.
We have to give them something to aspire to. We do not show them successful divorced women, instead the narrative is focused on women who divorced and became paupers or women who divorced and became 2nd wife to an Alhaji.

A woman that grew up seeing her father as the sole provider and every man in her life as sole providers would never aspire to provide for her family. Because from childhood, men have been nothing but providers and women, caretakers.
A friend and I were talking about how goal/dreams can be very limiting. We tend to dream/aspire to what we can see.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by babygirlfl: 6:04pm On Jun 18, 2015
Shollypopzz:

You just said everything in my mind. She clearly took shots at feminists and cried that I made snide remarks about her. It's unbelievable. I hate getting into argument with people but I think it's shocking that she can look at both comments and think mine was worse than hers.
Feminists are constantly accused of trying to shut other people up but quite frankly, the opposite is the case. People constantly want to shut us up and constantly take shots at us. The worse thing is that we are expected to just accept it because the shots are coming from someone that is friends with e-warriors and someone that in their minds can do no wrong. Feminism having class is another problem that is getting worse in this section. One feminists thinking they are better than another grin It's hilarious.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jun 18, 2015
RoyalRoy:

Cheers man!!

Why is my post hidden?? I never insulted her.
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jun 18, 2015
RoyalRoy:

Cheers man!!
Check troy20's post directed at me when I never referred to him and other dude indirectly called me an hermaphrodite.

I reported that and you never cared to delete it.
On another thread, a dude wrote that I've weird anomaly - I reported but you ignored.

Really? But when a male or female anti-feminist is insulted, you are quick to delete and ban.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 18, 2015
babygirlfl:

You just said everything in my mind. She clearly took shots at feminists and cried that I made snide remarks about her. It's unbelievable. I hate getting into argument with people but I think it's shocking that she can look at both comments and think mine was worse than hers.
Feminists are constantly accused of trying to shut other people up but quite frankly, the opposite is the case. People constantly want to shut us up and constantly take shots at us. The worse thing is that we are expected to just accept it because the shots are coming from someone that is friends with e-warriors and someone that in their minds can do no wrong. Feminism having class is another problem that is getting worse in this section. One feminists thinking they are better than another grin It's hilarious.

You have said it all.

"Feminism having class is another problem that is getting worse in this section. One feminists thinking they are better than another"

This is what I find disheartening because it strengthens the stereotype about women having crabs in a barrel mentality and lacking the ability to live peacefully amongst each other.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Shymm3x: 6:36pm On Jun 18, 2015
Lool. Let me play agent provocateur today. grin

A lot of you NL armchair feminists take this idiotic crap too seriously...even real feminsts aren't this absolved with rogue ideology.

I'm sure none of you pay bills at home, and you still depend on ya BFs, parents, and husbands to foot the bills. Yet you won't let sane folks minding their business in cyberspace have peace of mind. You can't even make that ish work in ya house, but you lot are always spamming everywhere on these sides with feminism.

Get that shiit out of here and keep it in ya homes - ain't no one checking for nonsense.

I'm out! grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jun 18, 2015
FrancisTony:

I'm purposely insulting ewuro to test his genuity.
I click report button to most insults directed at you to him but he won't delete them.
I'll purposely insult ewuro, she reports and my post get deleted and i'm banned instantly. grin
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jun 18, 2015
Ishilove and Royalroy, he has created another moniker. grin www.nairaland.com/nltruth

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 18, 2015
This dude no get work. He go create e-mail address tire. grin
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by RoyalRoy(m): 6:43pm On Jun 18, 2015
-------
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Ishilove: 7:29pm On Jun 18, 2015
FrancisTony:

Can you please give me a brief rundown of what is happening here? You can Pm me since this thread has been locked

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11)

FG Debunks Reports That Marriages Conducted At Ikoyi Registry Are False / How To Cut Down Excessive Spending These Festive Period / Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.