Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,389 members, 7,926,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2024 at 10:11 AM

Beware!!! Activate Whatsapp Without Internet Is A SCAM! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Beware!!! Activate Whatsapp Without Internet Is A SCAM! (10193 Views)

The Internet Is Confused By This Optical Illusion Of How Many Girls Are In This / Activate Whatsapp Without Internet. / Run Whatsapp Without Internet Connection? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Beware!!! Activate Whatsapp Without Internet Is A SCAM! by adegunwa4real(m): 7:55am On Jul 20, 2015
THE MESSAGE : 

Hey, I am inviting you to activate ?? WhatsApp without Internet. Click here to activate --> http://www.WhatsAppForFree.com.

AFTER CLICKING THE LINK YOU'LL SEE...

Internet Free WhatsApp Activation. FOLLOW OUR INSTRUCTIONS BELOW! Step 1: Enter your WhatsApp Mobile Number! Step 2: Click on I AGREE! Continue

DETAILS:

A story doing rounds on WhatsApp comes as an invite to activate free WhatsApp messaging service without internet by simply following a link in the message. The story is yet another internet hoax and a scam!

people who followed the link WhatsAppForFree.com were asked to enter their WhatsApp mobile phone number, click on "I Agree" button and at the next step were compelled to invite 10 friends on WhatsApp to activate the 'internet free WhatsApp service'. Strangely, the website even accepted a non-numerical text entered in the mobile number field before moving on asking to invite 10 friends. And what is said in the story is not a fact. When I visited the URL WhatsAppForFree.com, I was redirected to IP address http://128.199.244.171, with the below warning messages in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox:

Google Chrome
Phishing attack ahead
Attackers on 128.199.244.171 might try to trick you to steal your information (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

Mozilla Firefox
Reported Web Forgery!
This web page at 128.199.244.171 has been reported as a web forgery and has been blocked based on your security preferences.
Web forgeries are designed to trick you into revealing personal or financial information by imitating sources you may trust.
Entering any information on this web page may result in identity theft or other fraud.
DOMAIN NAME INFORMATION

In the domain name information of WhatsAppForFree.com, the Registrant Name and Tech Name is shown as 'Registration Private' and the Registrant Country as United States. However, virustotal.com reports the website as Autonomous System based in Country SG (Singapore). More importantly, there are few other URLs hosted in the IP address 128.199.244.171, some of which when visited warn that the sites ahead contain malware. All this concludes to saying the story in question is a Scam in the name of free WhatsApp service without internet.

Cc:Lalasticlala
Re: Beware!!! Activate Whatsapp Without Internet Is A SCAM! by darksuit(m): 8:11am On Jul 20, 2015
crooks just full everywhere.

(1) (Reply)

Travel Safe And Cheap:bus Fares Within And Out Of Nigeria / How Long Does NATIONAL ID Card Takes? / HORRIBLE: Man Grow Face In His Belly And Belly From His Face

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.