Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,826 members, 7,872,777 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:38 PM

CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country (7312 Views)

Are A Majority Of Nigerians Corrupt? / Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. / Gbajabiamila Will Not Be Majority Leader, Dogara Insists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Omololu007(m): 3:13pm On Jul 20, 2015
Ftc
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by dustmalik: 3:14pm On Jul 20, 2015
barcanista:
Yes Sir! Former Presidents Obasanjo, Yar'adua and GEJ fully participated in OIC confrence during their time
That isn't true. Besides IBB, GEJ was the only other Nigerian head of state to have attended OIC meeting.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Omololu007(m): 3:14pm On Jul 20, 2015
ARKdiscloser7:
See what APC has caused.
No wonder the Igbos are agitating for Biafra.
They really don't belong in that zoo called Nija
how old are u boy,go n watch cartoon network

3 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Omololu007(m): 3:16pm On Jul 20, 2015
barcanista:
Yes Sir! Former Presidents Obasanjo, Yar'adua and GEJ fully participated in OIC confrence during their time
obj and yardua didnt fully participate in OIC confrence,it was only GEJ dat did

3 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by dustmalik: 3:20pm On Jul 20, 2015
Given the high birth rate in the North, and the significant number of Muslims amongst the Yorubas and the Middle beltans, it's safe to say that there are more muslims in Nigeria than any other religion.

3 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jul 20, 2015
dustmalik:

That isn't true. Besides IBB, GEJ was the only other Nigerian head of state to have attended OIC meeting.
Don't talk what you know nothing of. Yar'adua fully participated. In fact, he renewed our membership. Obj was in OIC Conference in 2001. Pls go get your fact right.

3 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by dustmalik: 3:22pm On Jul 20, 2015
barcanista:
Don't talk what you know nothing of. Yar'adua fully participated. In fact, he renewed our membership. Obj was in OIC Conference in 2002. Pls go get your fact right.
That is a blatant lie. Show me proof that OBJ ever attended such meeting.
Here, read and inform yourself

http://dailypost.ng/2015/02/05/jonathan-first-nigerian-attend-oic-meeting-osinbajo/

1 Like

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Cwai: 3:23pm On Jul 20, 2015
Saifullah01:
I think so....
If you consider majority of Muslim north (with 50% of country's population) plus close to half of the south west, that will give you more Muslims.
Don't confuse it with north ( half of of the country's population)

There is Close to 40 percent (or slightly more) indigenous christians in the North so what you are saying is not factual...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by doncaster(m): 3:25pm On Jul 20, 2015
dustmalik:

If OBJ attend he is attending on behalf of Nigeria, If he send somebody to represent him/Nigeria that means he/Nigeria attended. He does not need to be present to be there.
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 20, 2015
dustmalik:

Please stop arguing with me on subject you know nothing about.

“Unfortunately, during the last meeting of G-8 Islamic countries in Egypt in 2001, Obasanjo identified himself carrying Nigeria as an Islamic country by attending that meeting. By that, he proved Nigeria is an Islamic country. An Islamic country does not tolerate another religion and such countries are ruled by Muslims.”
www.punchng.com/news/withdraw-nigerias-membership-of-oic-to-curtail-violence/

You can also read this article www.gamji.com/article5000/NEWS5267.htm

4 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by dustmalik: 3:29pm On Jul 20, 2015
doncaster:
If OBJ attend he is attending on behalf of Nigeria, If he send somebody to represent him/Nigeria that means he/Nigeria attended. He does not need to be present to be there.
I have asked for proof from a credible source. If you can't produce proof that OBJ or Yar'adua ever attended or sent a representative to such meeting, then you have no argument.
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 20, 2015
doncaster:
Nobody represented Obj, he attended himself in 2001

“Unfortunately, during the last meeting of G-8 Islamic countries in Egypt in 2001, Obasanjo identified himself carrying Nigeria as an Islamic country by attending that meeting. By that, he proved Nigeria is an Islamic country. An Islamic country does not tolerate another religion and such countries are ruled by Muslims.”
www.punchng.com/news/withdraw-nigerias-membership-of-oic-to-curtail-violence/

You can also read this article www.gamji.com/article5000/NEWS5267.html

4 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by kalufelix(m): 3:33pm On Jul 20, 2015
Omololu007:
how old are u boy,go n watch cartoon network

Omololu007:
Ftc

its obvious who the kid is...lol

@ the mention of biafra they start jittering...

2 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by UncleJudax(m): 3:36pm On Jul 20, 2015
Saifullah01:
I think so....
If you consider majority of Muslim north (with 50% of country's population) plus close to half of the south west, that will give you more Muslims.
Unfortunately, a good % of the North are not muslims.

1 Like

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jul 20, 2015
omenka:
cnn said so but we know better don't we??
Hush, even if we know better, a major news network as CNN should not propagate falsehood across the world.

The rest of the world might stop seeing hs as what we truly are abd start seeibg us as somethibg else thanks to CNN.

Yet you do not care. I expect nothing more from one who is so blind he sees nothing wrong in president Buhari and his government.

1 Like

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by phyllosilicate(m): 3:38pm On Jul 20, 2015
Barcanista my oga can you please provide us data on the religion demographic of Nigeria. Thanks

1 Like

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jul 20, 2015
dustmalik:

Here, read and inform yourself

http://dailypost.ng/2015/02/05/jonathan-first-nigerian-attend-oic-meeting-osinbajo/
That simply shows that Osinbajo knows NOTHING about Nigeria...

“Unfortunately, during the last meeting of G-8 Islamic countries in Egypt in 2001, Obasanjo identified himself carrying Nigeria as an Islamic country by attending that meeting. By that, he proved Nigeria is an Islamic country. An Islamic country does not tolerate another religion and such countries are ruled by Muslims.”www.punchng.com/news/withdraw-nigerias-membership-of-oic-to-curtail-violence/

"Since then no president or head of state has revisited the OIC imbroglio, that is, until when Chief Obasanjo came! During much of his first term in office he kept Nigerians wondering what the attitude of his government was to OIC. Unknown to Christian and the stakeholders President Obasanjo had secretly re-registered Nigeria in OIC. Mallam Kabiru Yusuf of Weekly Trust, writing on “Nigeria in OIC” has revealed, “Ironically, Nigeria has become more active in the OIC since this government, led by a born- again Christian, came to power."
www.gamji.com/article5000/NEWS5267.htm

3 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by kalufelix(m): 3:39pm On Jul 20, 2015
dustmalik:
Given the high birth rate in the North, and the significant number of Muslims amongst the Yorubas and the Middle beltans, it's safe to say that there are more muslims in Nigeria than any other religion.

This is just about the entire Nigeria you listed up there what other regions are you talking about??

Nigeria is 90% an Islamic country biko...

1 Like

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by aminho(m): 3:39pm On Jul 20, 2015
Southwest will be 40% muslim plus north 80percenr
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 20, 2015
phyllosilicate:
Barcanista my oga can you please provide us data on the religion demographic of Nigeria. Thanks
This will require emperical research and not just mere assumption. I have refrained myself from picking sides. All I am saying is that Nigeria by virtue of OIC membership is technically an Islamic Country..

2 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by UncleJudax(m): 3:43pm On Jul 20, 2015
Cwai:

There is Close to 40 percent (or slightly more) indigenous christians in the North so what you are saying is not factual...
Same thing I told him. You are spot on.

Some people mistake the widespread use of Hausa in the North as being all muslims.
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by phyllosilicate(m): 3:47pm On Jul 20, 2015
barcanista:
This will require emperical research and not just mere assumption. I have refrained myself from picking sides. All I am saying is that Nigeria by virtue of OIC membership is technically an Islamic Country..
I get your point, I was just thinking you could provide data. People here are just assuming. Thanks.
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by omenka(m): 3:49pm On Jul 20, 2015
Largas:
Hush, even if we know better, a major news network as CNN should not propagate falsehood across the world.

The rest of the world might stop seeing hs as what we truly are abd start seeibg us as somethibg else thanks to CNN.

Yet you do not care. I expect nothing more from one who is so blind he sees nothing wrong in president Buhari and his government.
Na wa oo. Oga, hatred go kill you.

Did Buhari ask cnn to write the crap they did??

Silly WailingWailer.
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by prof12(m): 3:49pm On Jul 20, 2015
SenseiX:
Washington (CNN)President Barack Obama will welcome Nigeria's new president to the White House Monday in an effort to bolster the fight against Boko Haram and begin a new chapter with Africa's most populous country.

The United States is eager to boost its ties with Nigeria now that the former president, Goodluck Jonathan, who was often a source of frustration for Washington, has left office.

The Obama administration believes that President Muhammadu Buhari can become an ally in cracking down on Boko Haram, whose collaboration with ISIS is helping the spread of radical extremism in West Africa.

Buhari, a devout Muslim in a country where a majority of residents are Muslim, said during his election that he'd fight aggressively against radical Islam and promised to ramp up the fight against Boko Haram, which has horrified the world with its kidnappings of Nigerian school girls.

The Obama administration, which had challenged Jonathan to fight terrorism more aggressively, emphasized the effort to combat Boko Haram in its announcement of Buhuri's visit.
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/20/politics/nigerian-president-buhari-obama-visit/index.html?eref=edition

Not a bigot and but I find the assertion interesting, most research on the demographics of Nigeria's religious
adherents tend to point to a 50-50

There is nothing like 50-50.The Muslim population is far ahead of that of the Christians.
In 1990/91 census the population of Nigerian Muslims was far ahead of the Christians
During the 2005 trial census it discovered that the Muslim population was 65% and above to Christians.
In the 2006 census proper the Obasanjo government directed that the questionnaire on religion be dropped for political reasons.
So,my christian brethren stop deceiving yourselves because the Christian population in Nigeria will not catch up with that of the Muslims. Even our birthrate differs.

divide....
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 20, 2015
phyllosilicate:
I get your point, I was just thinking you could provide data. People here are just assuming. Thanks.
That's one problem we have. People just like to assume. I don't form opinion by mere assumption.

1 Like

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 20, 2015
lagmostkuit:
Arrant Nonsense!

Do you work for Seun Osewa?
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 20, 2015
[quote author=lagmostkuit post=36083537][i]Arrant Nonsense!

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 20, 2015
ydass:

Ur business? undecided
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 20, 2015
Beremx:
CNN always goof when it comes to matters concerning Nigeria. I dunno if they do it on purpose.
They are not goofing. They are right with this assertion of their's. Nigeria is about 50% muslim 40% christain and 10% other religions or atheist/ undecided or even mixed faith(2006 census figures). You can still try to check with the Nigerian population commision.
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by agabaI23(m): 3:58pm On Jul 20, 2015
This is not the first time they are saying the wrong thing about Nigeria...
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 20, 2015
Saifullah01:
I think so....

More than 30 percent of the 19 northern states are Christians. While 99 percent of se n ss are christians.

1 Like

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 20, 2015
dustmalik:

Ur dreaming.

In that northern nigeria, the number of igbo christians and northern christians are overwhelming. Stop foooling urself.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? / Tony Nwulu Felicitates With Muslims Over Eid-l-kabir / Nigeria Police Attacks Eastern Security Network In Imo, Abandons Their Vehicles

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.