Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,417 members, 7,833,499 topics. Date: Sunday, 19 May 2024 at 10:28 PM

Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. (1254 Views)

Continued Detention Of Metuh, Unhealthy For Nigeria’s Democracy – Ekweremadu / Reno Omokri On Media Obsession With Cleavage / Drama Trails Scrapping Of First Lady Titles, Offices In States-Daily Trust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by ElRazur: 3:35pm On Mar 12, 2009
My point is pretty much straight forward. Why the Obsession? Every privates and harry in Nigeria wants to be known and be somebody, even though they really have nothing to show for it. Every or should I say most State Governors are addressed as "His/Her excellency". Jeez! Let us break it down for a minute. What is excellent about them? The mere fact that the electorates voted in him/her as a political appointee? Or the fact that they bribe every constituency so as to win more votes?

Some please tell me what is wrong with calling our Governor, commissioner et al Mr this or Ms that?
Here is another example. How come most musician must have one title or the other? Anyone notice how every Fuji musician seem to carry an awful lot of title - Chief, Dr, Sikiru Ayinde Barrister! Then at the end of their name there is some small lettered abbreviations of more Honours and appellations they have "bagged" so far? So it normally appears something like this "Prof. Dr. Eng. Cheif Madu Emeka Okoronko. Ace.Msc.Bsc.Ait.Nta.Bbc" Come on give me a break!

The list is endless:
Wasiu ayinde calls himself KWAM 1. Please, King of who and where?

Sunny Ade is another King too. God help us.

D'banj - An entertainer. Oh really? I would have thought you are more of a CD artist that mime it out to an audience. Seriously, if he calls himself an entertainer, what do we call Michael Jackson or people who can actually dance and sing like Usher, Justin timberlake, Chris Brown, ?

Even the so called Men of God have their own fair share "Primate Olobayo" "Pastor Dr INSERT name here" If I remember correctly, Jesus and Mohammed never specifically call themselves and fancy titles.

I'm sure you guys get the picture. I am yet to understand this crazy obsession with "making people think you are actually bigger than you are mentality"  If we are to[i] rebrand[/i] nigeria like some have been saying, this are some of the things we need to do away in my opinion.
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by DisGuy: 3:49pm On Mar 12, 2009
There's a new fad where every single member of the senate has been conferred some sort of honorary title by universities in nigeria, the chairman/woman senate committee on education appears in almost every convocation ceremony together with the new minister of education who has just been there for three months of so shocked
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by Jakumo(m): 4:22pm On Mar 12, 2009
Noone can dispute the fact that the title of Double-Chief Alhaji Barrister Dr. Primate Evangelist Admiral Chairman Architect Eze-Ndiigbo Me just has a nicer ring to it than simply "Mister" Me, therefore I will not relent until such time as I do finally amass these titles, and also begin to see real monetary returns commensurate with a Dignitary of Timber and Calipers that would be so honored.

Could someone please publish an inflation-adjusted itemized price list assignation to ALL chieftaincy titles that are available for purchase throughout each of Nigeria's 256 major tribal enclaves, so as to streamline this vital process for the discerning few who seek their rightful place in the sun.
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by Kobojunkie: 4:25pm On Mar 12, 2009
Jakumo:

Noone can dispute the fact that the title of Double-Chief Alhaji Barrister Dr. Primate Evangelist Admiral Chairman Architect Eze-Ndiigbo Me just has a nicer ring to it than simply "Mister" Me, so I will not relent until such time as I amass these titles, and also begin to see real monetary returns commensurate with a Dignitary of Timber and Calipers that would be so honored.

I beg to differ!! I mean consider the name “Bill Gates” (Not sure He has any titles that I know of). That name alone is all the man has needed to get to where he is today, the world’s richest man. No matter where you are on this planet, you mention that name and you immediately understand it commands real respect, more than all bogus “extensions” we can come up with in Nigeria can. What the frell are the many extensions for?
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by mustafar1: 4:30pm On Mar 12, 2009
it all boils down to the 'i am bigger than you' mentality we nigerians have. competition/oppression gallore i think we need deliverance thats why a cut and sew tailor would call him/her self a designer and look down on that dude who walks around with his/her singer sewing machine on the shoulder looking for business of mending ripped clothing.

just make me the latest attire make i wear abeg.
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by DisGuy: 4:37pm On Mar 12, 2009
Jakumo:

Noone can dispute the fact that the title of Double-Chief Alhaji Barrister Dr. Primate Evangelist Admiral Chairman Architect Eze-Ndiigbo Me just has a nicer ring to it than simply "Mister" Me, therefore I will not relent until such time as I do finally amass these titles, and also begin to see real monetary returns commensurate with a Dignitary of Timber and Calipers that would be so honored.

Could someone please publish an inflation-adjusted itemized price list assignation to ALL chieftaincy titles that are available for purchase throughout each of Nigeria's 256 major tribal enclaves, so as to streamline this vital process for the discerning few who seek their rightful place in the sun.

N500,000 to the exco of university of abakaliki, or N100,000 each to the board at university of nassara or a dozen of paint
donated to the board of kogi state university will get a you a Doctorate wink

pick a wife from any Emirate in the North east you'll qualify for a waziri* cool
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by Nobody: 4:37pm On Mar 12, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I beg to differ!!  I mean consider the name “Bill Gates” (Not sure He has any titles that I know of). That name alone is all the man has needed to get to where he is today, the world’s richest man. No matter where you are on this planet, you mention that name and you immediately understand it commands real respect, more than all bogus “extensions” we can come up with in Nigeria can. What the frell are the many extensions for?

thats a culture of achievement you're talking about. naija is a culture of titles
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by Jakumo(m): 5:09pm On Mar 12, 2009
Dis Guy:

N500,000 to the exco of university of abakaliki, or N100,000 each to the board at university of nassara or a dozen of paint
donated to the board of kogi state university will get a you a Doctorate wink

pick a wife from any Emirate in the North east you'll qualify for a waziri* cool

Now that is what I'm talking about, DisGuy. Prices that I can study, and not rebuttals against my quest for titles too many to read out. I hope I am correct in presuming that these title purchase prices are negotiable, and also with respect to earning my[b] Waziri-hood [/b] by marrying a Hausa girl, will I get to select the bride according to my lust and taste, or would I have to settle for the any available moderately priced wench offered by the Sultan ?

Kobojunkie you are hereby deputized as a multiple chieftaincy title holder fortified with a string of unverifiable academic credentials whose modalities will be forwarded to you after you remit the mandatory non-refundable registration fees, and submit your account details, social security number, driver's licence number, mother's maiden name and current residential address for our records.
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by Jarus(m): 5:34pm On Mar 12, 2009
Ebube 1. . . the only green cap chief on Nairaland! grin
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by doyin13(m): 5:46pm On Mar 12, 2009
Make Seun make me Moderator jo. . .

''Moderator'' Doyin will be a good start
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by DisGuy: 5:52pm On Mar 12, 2009
Jakumo:

Now that is what I'm talking about, DisGuy.  Prices that I can study, and not rebuttals against my quest for titles too many to read out.   I hope I am correct in presuming that these title purchase prices are negotiable, and also with respect to earning my[b] Waziri-hood [/b] by marrying a Hausa girl, will I get to select the bride according to my lust and taste, or would I have to settle for the any available moderately priced wench offered by the Sultan ?

Kobojunkie you are hereby deputized as a multiple chieftaincy title holder fortified with a string of unverifiable academic credentials whose modalities will be forwarded to you after you remit the mandatory non-refundable registration fees, and submit your account details, social security number, driver's licence number, mother's maiden name and current residential address for our records.

It's hierarchical Mon ami, you choose the first waziri's daughter (anyone of your choice), then promise the sultan you will be coming back to pick from his flock after two to four years depending on how well the first pick performs, During the turbanation (the part where you get to dress like an overweight ninja) you have to promise the other waziris you will be recommending their daughters to your lustful associates  grin
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by Jakumo(m): 6:04pm On Mar 12, 2009
Dis Guy:

It's hierarchical Mon ami, you choose the first waziri's daughter (anyone of your choice), then promise the sultan you will be coming back to pick from his flock after two to four years depending on how well the first pick performs, During the turbanation (the part where you get to dress like an overweight ninja) you have to promise the other waziris you will be recommending their daughters to your lustful associates grin

I am definitely on to something here with this Waziri Thang. So as to focus my efforts better, I have now postponed the pursuit of honorary titles from non-Waziri areas. I also placed an order for a Housa-to-English phrase book, so that I won't sound as ridiculous as I will look wearing that turban during the Waziri-hood ceremony, and of course during that all-important bride selection exercise immediately afterward.

Without doubt, for a good piece of Hausa poon-tang, no humanly possible measure can be too preposterous, and nothing must be left to chance.
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by bawomolo(m): 6:08pm On Mar 12, 2009
Jakumo - Don't you want MON HON SAN HNIC titles too?
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by ElRazur: 6:12pm On Mar 12, 2009
It is now possible to buy Chieftaincy title from as little 15000 naira [or pounds] I read the article on the BBC Africa website. I may post the link if I can find it.

It is really a stinking mentality and I really do not see how we can move on from here.

As far as am concerned, anyone who needs to write such appellations and titles after their name is more or less an empty barrel.
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by Nobody: 6:14pm On Mar 12, 2009
Never really understood the obsession with titles in naija until I noticed the effect it has on law enforcement officials. We got stopped by the police once and my hubby introduced himself as , (not even Mr , ). Got the usual harrassment plus a delay of almost 2 hrs. Next time round he introduced himself as Engr , Come see respect. Henceforth when I'm behind a wheel in naija I am Engr, works like a charm all the time  grin
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by Jakumo(m): 6:14pm On Mar 12, 2009
bawomolo:

Jakumo - Don't you want MON HON SAN HNIC titles too?

Oga Bawo I will be in a better position to communicate intelligibly just as soon as these vivid and disturbing hallucinations of dancing Hausa virgins clear from my confused mind.

Stand by.
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by ElRazur: 6:16pm On Mar 12, 2009
Haaa Haaa. I don find am. I love the way the article started. It is the fact and it hits the nail on the head!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6924870.stm

To be addressed as a Mr, Mrs or Ms in Nigerian social circles means you are a nobody. To be a mover or shaker you need to be a chief - or to at least hold a doctorate.

But some fear this craze for chieftaincy titles may be eroding what was once a highly revered position in traditional Nigerian society.

To be a traditional chief is like being a small god - it is seen as the peak of one's achievement in life.

A chief should be someone who is well-to-do financially and intellectually - and has contributed substantially to the development of the community.

"It's a recognition by your people," says Luke Ogedegbe, who became a chief in the southern Delta State in the 1990s.

He is known as Erhuvwu of Udu kingdom - "Goodness of the Udu kingdom" - and has found that his traditional title puts him in a "special class".

"You don't operate as an ordinary man anymore. As a matter of fact you are supposed to be in the upper bracket of society and that lifts you from the commoner," he explains.

Political clout

Many people say honorary titles these days can often be bought by giving a donation of about $10,000 to one's home area.

Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by bawomolo(m): 6:21pm On Mar 12, 2009
Jakumo:

Oga Bawo I will be in a better position to communicate intelligibly just as soon as these vivid and disturbing hallucinations of dancing Hausa virgins clear from my confused mind.

Stand by.

lmao Agro no go kill you.  Just don't take a misstep in Zamfara or you would become Jakumo the one armed beggar  grin grin
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by asha80(m): 6:43pm On Mar 12, 2009
Agbara huru okuko gbaba ohia 1 of nairaland
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by Kobojunkie: 6:48pm On Mar 12, 2009
OH NO!! roflmao!!!
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by asha80(m): 6:51pm On Mar 12, 2009
@kobojunkie

Do you understand what i wrote?
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by Kobojunkie: 6:52pm On Mar 12, 2009
well, I am a bit rusty in my ibo( took classes back in the days to learn to write and read in some Nigerians languages) but I think that says  "Statue/god see chicken run inside the bush" number 1 of nairaland !! Lol
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by asha80(m): 7:02pm On Mar 12, 2009
Well you are still good.Agbara can also mean wizard which is what it means in this context.

The truth of the matter is that nigerians generally like BIGMANISM.
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by jamace(m): 11:40pm On Mar 12, 2009
Nigerians are really title crazy. Go to any occasion, the protocol list is most of the time more lenghty than the whole activity for such occasion. And if the MC misses out any title of any dignitary, the so-called dignitary will shout the correction at the MC and with a stern warning that the MC should wake up. grin Hmm.
Re: Unhealthy obsession With Appelations and Titles in our culture. by deor03(m): 10:42am On Mar 13, 2009
inspired_m:

Thanks for your concern Kendra1,

Our Word is Our Bond.

Thanks

Inspired_m

Aare Bobagunwa of Nairaland
Ataneru 1 of Urhobo Kingdom/Nairaland
Osina Nwata Buru Ogalanya 1 of Nairaland
Osina afo nne ya lebe motor 1 of Nairaland
Sar'kin/Santurakin of Nairaland Autos
ODIONWERE of Nairaland

AKPU-NKU 1 OF NAIRALAND, YAGAZIE cool cool

A Nairalander in AUTO section

(1) (Reply)

Dora Akunyili Picks Senate Forms / I Won’t Contest 2015 Elections – Jonathan / Nigeria Is A Useless Country!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.