Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,899 members, 7,922,184 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 08:27 PM

India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? (1235 Views)

SACP Calls For The Expulsion Of The Israeli Ambassador To SA / Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners / Xenophobic Attack:nigeria Provides Emergency Number For Distressed Nigeria In SA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by RSA(m): 3:41pm On Mar 24, 2009
Why on earth is India taking the most lucrative tournament to a crime ridden country for security reason?
Maybe they do know things most of the world don't knows,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/7958664.stm

IPL will switch to South Africa

The Indian Premier League will now be hosted by South Africa after the decision was made to move it from India, BBC Sport understands.

Security concerns prompted IPL boss Lalit Modi to seek an alternative host, with South Africa chosen ahead of England, who wanted to stage the event.

Modi and Cricket South Africa chief executive Gerald Majola are expected to confirm the switch at 1500 GMT.

The tournament will start on 17 April, with the final staged on 24 May.

Six centres will be used to stage the event, with matches due to be played in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth and East London.

The weather was a factor, but I also understand from talking to various people that the South African government came in in a very strong way

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose
"The South Africans have won this race against England," reported BBC sports editor Mihir Bose. "They have clearly provided the Indians with the sort of guarantees they were after.

"The weather was a factor, but I also understand from talking to various people that the South African government came in in a very strong way. With a lot of spectators expected to move around, issues like visas are also crucial and all of that has played a part."

The decision is a major coup for South Africa, who will enjoy the financial benefits of hosting such a high-profile tournament as well as underline their readiness to host the football World Cup in 2010.

Modi had said he had no choice but to move the event because India's government could not guarantee safety and security resources, with national elections happening at the same time.

England were thought to be the early favourites to stage the tournament in India's stead, but it appears that the country's inclement weather has played a part in it not being chosen.

Modi had earlier told an Indian TV station: "Weather could be a problem. Moreover because of the London Marathon (26 April) there could be a problem finding hotel rooms for some days.

"There's also the Test series between West Indies and England we have to take into account."

There are other factors that render South Africa a more attractive option, including television timings - South Africa is closer to India in terms of time zones - while the cost of holding the tournament is reportedly cheaper in the African nation.

The TV rights issue in South Africa is also more straightforward, with Supersport holding the rights to the IPL as well as international cricket in the country.

That is not the case in England, where Sky hold the broadcast rights to all cricket played in England - but rival Setanta bought the UK rights to the IPL last year and showed the inaugural tournament.
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by Sammy107d(m): 4:51pm On Mar 24, 2009
The article states why SA is the the preferred cricket loving country to host the tournament. . . what's your purpose posting this here??
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by morpheus24: 6:38pm On Mar 24, 2009
Sammy107_d:

The article states why SA is the the preferred cricket loving country to host the tournament. . . what's your purpose posting this here??

Leave that boy called RSA. He's our resident schizophrenic patient suffering from the inability to let go of his screwed up reality, still trying to prove to himself that his beloved SA is heaven on earth despite what we all know.

Unfortunately the boy just won't learn.
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by blackspade(m): 12:32am On Mar 25, 2009
Good for South Africa. This will bring in a lot of revenue, but it will also prepare the country for the World Cup in 2010.
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by ElRazur: 2:12pm On Mar 25, 2009
I hate to point out the obvious. It appears the Original poster do not follow international politics!

International terrorism is not the same petty crimes/violent crimes.

A few weeks before the meeting, several police officer died as a result of terrorist attacking them and the Cricket players they were assigned to guard. Just look this things up. smiley
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by RSA(m): 9:39am On Mar 26, 2009
Blackspade thank you,I think this cup and the ICC championship later this year and also Confedaration cup will help South Africa to fine tune before the World cup.There will be lots of people from India,England,Australia,NewZealand,West Indies,Pakistan,Bangladesh and other nation for this two cricket tournaments.

South Africa is not as bad as the media is presenting to the outside world,yes we have serious issues but we also have more positive things.The country is not ungovernable or out of control as it seems when you live outside South Africa.
And also our media which is mostly white owned has never accepted this new goverment and they will do anything to showcase all the negatives,to prove to the world that black people cannot rule succesfully but most are starting to eat their humble pies.Before the host awarding of the world cup most of them ran a negative campaign with the help of BBC to discourage FIFA from awarding the tournament to SA and they failed.Even Sepp Blatter said the biggest problem with SA is some people within the country who where too negative.The good thing is our brothers are putting their head down and work,your work will always speak for you.

@ELRAZUR I know that crime and terrorism are not the same thing,but I was thinking that you where going to question the fact that SA claim it can protect visitors from terror attacks while it cant protect its citizen from criminals.

@Mrpheus before you start typing I know exately what you're going to write,you're too predictable,please suprise me sometime.I don't hate Nija peeps
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by AmakaOne(f): 9:48am On Mar 26, 2009
Ahn Ahn,

No be the same South Africa where the taxi drivers went on strike a few days ago threatening to stop the Conf cup and World cup and had to be dispersed with tear gas and rubber bullets?

They were stoning buses and peoples cars and all that

Security reasons?,  hmmmm,   

How are people supposed to get to and from all these games with those "danfo" taxi drivers going amok?

How exactly is South Africa going to protect foreign vistors from these thugs who have openly said that they [size=14pt]will [/size] disrupt these sporting events?

RSA:

South Africa is not as bad as the media is presenting to the outside world,yes we have serious issues but we also have more positive things.The country is not ungovernable or out of control as it seems when you live outside South Africa.

And also our media which is mostly white owned has never accepted this new goverment and they will do anything to showcase all the negatives,to prove to the world that black people cannot rule succesfully but most are starting to eat their humble pies.  Before the host awarding of the world cup  most of them ran a negative campaign with the help of BBC to discourage FIFA from awarding the tournament to SA and they failed.Even Sepp Blatter said the biggest problem with SA is some people within the country who where too negative.The good thing is our brothers are putting their head down and work,your work will always speak for you.

@ELRAZUR I know that crime and terrorism are not the same thing,but I was thinking that you where going to question the fact that SA claim it can protect visitors from terror attacks while it cant protect its citizen from criminals.

@Mrpheus before you start typing I know exately what you're going to write,you're too predictable,please suprise me sometime.I don't hate Nija peeps 
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by AmakaOne(f): 9:55am On Mar 26, 2009
Taxi operators threaten to sabotage 2010

Eyewitness News
A group of taxi operators have threatened to sabotage the 2010 FIFA World Cup if the government ignores their concerns.

The operators are up in arms over several issues, including the introduction of a new public transport system.

They claim government wants to reduce the number of taxis on the country’s roads.

Transport Minister Jeff Radebe has until Thurday to respond to the operators’ grievances.

The Surren Taxi Association’s Ismail Baradon warned that if the ministry failed to act, it would be to blame for major disruptions in 2010 proceedings.

He pointed out that during the cricket and rugby world cups held in South Africa, taxis did not benefit at all.

“What makes them think that this two ten [sic] we will benefit?”

Baradon highlights how the taxi industry is feeding the economy and advises the minister to wake up.

“We put the minister there to serve the people but right now the minister’s not doing his job. There will be no votes for him, or there won’t be any World Cup in this country, period.”

Baradon said that they would fight till the bitter end to put an end to the implementation of the Bus Rapid Transport System, calling for government to stop pumping millions into the stadiums since the transport was the heartbeat of the city.

“If they think there was a strike, 1976, we were children throwing stones. We are much bigger and much stronger. We will fight with the last drop of blood in our veins to stop this process” says Baradon.

The Transport Department has been unavailable for comment.

@RSA Hiding your head in the Sand ostrich style is whatthe SA govt is doing
Fiddling while Rome burns and telling the world to "eat cake" {excuse the mixed metaphor here}
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by RSA(m): 10:49am On Mar 26, 2009
My brother this issue and many more will come before the world cup,people are negotiating using the world cup,answering the taxi problem,one of the biggest problem for world cup and south africa as a whole was public transportation,the goverment came with a plan that will help eradicating this problem.

Let me give you an example,if Nigeria was in our position and the goverment come up with it's plan which exclude the Okadas.And they decide to match on the street protesting,do you think it's wrong?personaly I think it is their democratic rights to do that,they are protecting their industry and maybe they may get something out of it,who knows.But the goverment had to look after commuters,put in place organised transport system that works.

Goverment has invested heavily on transportation.please check the links

www.gautrain.co.za/ - 60k

http://www.southafrica.info/business/economy/infrastructure/brtjoburg-051108.htm

I think anyone making noise in South Africa now is garranteed a coverage from the media.So this is a perfect time for everyone to vioce their concern,I heard earliar that white South Africans are going to protest during the world cup that they are discriminated against in SA.
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by AmakaOne(f): 11:23am On Mar 26, 2009
@RSA,

I am not disputing people's right to protest. It surely is their democratic right

What I am questioning is the security factor.

Clearly these people are violent armed protesters who have to be subdued with rubber bullets, water canons & teargas.

Their protests are not only aimed at the government as the shot bus drivers and private motorists whose cars were  stoned and damaged will attest to.

All these happening in the major CBD's of South Africa and all the main areterial roads leading into and out of the cities.

How can the safety  & security of thousands of foreign visitors be guaranteed?
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by RSA(m): 11:39am On Mar 26, 2009
Yes I saw most of the incident on TV.It was sad especialy in Soweto where that bus driver was shot and passengers beaten,I happen to be in Joburg CBD on tuesday going to a meeting and was stuck in the traffic because taxis where blocking the roads.You know how taxi's behave in the road,it does not matter where you are in Africa,they're all rude,their cars are unroadworthy,and they drive like maniacs.Hopefully this goverment initiative will open their eyes and they will start doing what other businesses are doing,competing by giving your clients better services.Goverment is meeting with Taxi's associations as we speak,so hopefully something positive will come out.I hope.
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by morpheus24: 2:04pm On Mar 26, 2009
RSA:

Aight! Aight! I have disturbed you enough.
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by IFELEKE(m): 5:27pm On Mar 26, 2009
RSA:

And also our media which is mostly white owned has never accepted this new goverment and they will do anything to showcase all the negatives,to prove to the world that black people cannot rule succesfully but most are starting to eat their humble pies.Before the host awarding of the world cup most of them ran a negative campaign with the help of BBC to discourage FIFA from awarding the tournament to SA and they failed.Even Sepp Blatter said the biggest problem with SA is some people within the country who where too negative.The good thing is our brothers are putting their head down and work,your work will always speak for you.

RSA,
This has been your problem all along and everybody knows.
We are not judging you based on what your white neighbours write or propagate about you,we are rather condemning your wrong doings that gives ample evidences to buttress the propagandas against your black government and community.
South Africa is loved by all this is evident in the supports your country received during the struggle and on a ''GOOD DAY''( Good Day in quote) no African will choose your white neighbours or their utterances over you or yours.
I end this by Quoting from one of your numerous replies on this forum.
[i]''Before we ask ourselves how the enemy came in.Let's ask ourselves first who opened the door for the enemy, RSA''[/i]that quote is very powerful and i will never forget it.
Ponder over it and ask yourself the same question.

RSA:

LOL grin
Don't see Morpheus as your nemesis.
He is a friend pointing out areas where another friend as Erred
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by RSA(m): 9:06am On Mar 27, 2009
@Ifeleke it is good to hear those comment from you,you know my first post on this forum was after the xenophobic attacks in South Africa,my neighbour and a friend of my mine Obi told me about this site because I told him that I wish I could explain the situation and apologise to Nigerians and Africans as a whole.I guess people where too angry and they started attacking me,and i have been on the defence ever since that first post.I love Nigeria,have always loved Nigeria.Most of my friends in South Africa are Nigerians.
Infact there is one friend of mine who I help open a business in South Africa,when he was stranded and had no place to stay,we met at our church and took him to my house where he stayed for 3 month without rent or paying for food.Now he has a succesfull automobile repair shop in our area.And he is working with two other nigerians and ivorian and couple of zimbabweans.
He is very greatful for what I 've done to help him,and seeing him where he is today makes me proud,I did all that out of pure friendship.He tried  so may time to pay me(I guess is that Nigerian pride thing),but my help was not for sale.Now he is my little boys Godfather and a friend for life.I know a lot about Nigeria because I always ask him,even though he is not interested in whats happening in Nigeria.yeah today I'm the one who update him on whats happening in Naija grin

So now you know why I vist this site atleast one a day.Nigeria are bunch of inteliigent people but your downside is that your full of yourself,you make it hard to be loved.And to be a big brother you don't only have to show your intelligence but also your humility,make it easy for people to relate to you.Does that make sense?
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by RSA(m): 9:19am On Mar 27, 2009
This was my first post on Nairaland

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=137223.msg2303225#msg2303225

Allow me to first apologise to millions of african in the continet and abroad for the situation in my country,I dont know if it is neccesary to explain and correct some of the misleading reporting in this forum and some media.
The attacks happen in the poorest area inthe country,residents say the attacks are carried out by hostel dwellers,who are believed to be paid by a third force.Hostel dwellers are people who come mostly from Kwazulu natal to look for jobs and they end up staying in the hostels mostly men.this people are mostly zulu's(if you've been following our history you will remember that we almost went into civil war,zulu's(inkata freedom party) and the African Nation Party(the current gorvement).
Who ever payed this people knew that the was a feeling amongst poor people that immigrants mostly from Zimbabwe and Mozambique are taking their jobs because they take any money and that they are responsible for the crime wave in the country where 20000 people are murdered every year.They(third force) knew that they need something to trigger the feeling of this poor and desparate people.Majority of us where looking in despair,shame and disbelief.I think this took us all by suprise.Nigeria didn't suffer as much as it was pointed out,most Nigeria dont live in the squater camps as this places are known.

Hosting the world cup is a challenge because it take out every little dirty laundry and put it in public,there will be lot of issues that will come out before we host and I hope that our goverment will be able to  deal with it.
South African preparation is well on track,road,airports,stadia,hotels ,rail and transport will be an asset to south africa for many years to come,world cup will leave a lasting legacy on and off the pitch.

Thousand and thousand of us march accross our cities to show that we South African loves our brothers,we apologise and we will continue appologising until Africa feel that we decerve pardon.
Africa Unite,and One Africa!
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by sleekp1: 11:44am On Mar 27, 2009
Am actually surprised India move this tournament to SA when you have nearly 2million cricket loving Asians in the UK.

Brits were quite surprised cos it doesn't make sense.
Re: India Move A Cricket Tornament To Sa For 'security Reason'? by IFELEKE(m): 11:51am On Mar 27, 2009
RSA:

@Ifeleke it is good to hear those comment from you,you know my first post on this forum was after the xenophobic attacks in South Africa,my neighbour and a friend of my mine Obi told me about this site because I told him that I wish I could explain the situation and apologise to Nigerians and Africans as a whole.I guess people where too angry and they started attacking me,and i have been on the defence ever since that first post.I love Nigeria,have always loved Nigeria.Most of my friends in South Africa are Nigerians.
Infact there is one friend of mine who I help open a business in South Africa,when he was stranded and had no place to stay,we met at our church and took him to my house where he stayed for 3 month without rent or paying for food.Now he has a succesfull automobile repair shop in our area.And he is working with two other nigerians and ivorian and couple of zimbabweans.
He is very greatful for what I 've done to help him,and seeing him where he is today makes me proud,I did all that out of pure friendship.He tried  so may time to pay me(I guess is that Nigerian pride thing),but my help was not for sale.Now he is my little boys Godfather and a friend for life.I know a lot about Nigeria because I always ask him,even though he is not interested in whats happening in Nigeria.yeah today I'm the one who update him on whats happening in Naija grin

So now you know why I vist this site atleast one a day.Nigeria are bunch of inteliigent people but your downside is that your full of yourself,you make it hard to be loved.And to be a big brother you don't only have to show your intelligence but also your humility,make it easy for people to relate to you.Does that make sense?
@RSA
I must say am witnessing a new you as evidenced by this quoted reply from you,So much for being on the defensive all along.
You see,The criticism trailing your nation and her citizens(with emphasis on the blacks)as I said in my previous post is not targeted at impugning you and your black folks,It's just a way of openly discussing a bad trend as exhibited by a fellow african country.
It's a pity you have been constantly put on the defensive all along thereby eliciting uncouth and at times nasty/vulgar replies from you often but I believe you should expect them.
I know there are decent black south africans out there but they are been rendered helpless and branded bad by the nefarious/barbaric activities of some.
I also know that this decent blacks are gearing up efforts towards curbing these menace but criticism won't stop until this efforts start yielding desired and appreciated results.
Mind you,Nigerians are not the only ones voicing out on the bad happenings in south africa.
I don't have control over the outburts you will still get on this forum but I do wish you well and Hope your country achieves that desired peace.
I know it will be hard but try not to return abuse for abuse,
Siyabonga

(1) (Reply)

New India Spring Uprising On The Horizon / Free Halab: A Blog About The Syrian Revolution / The Descration Of Pagan Trad. Shrines Under The Pretext Of Development: ZIMBABWE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.