Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,080 members, 7,949,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 05:34 PM

20 Commonest Syntax Error In English Language - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 20 Commonest Syntax Error In English Language (2704 Views)

What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? / Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Commonest Syntax Error In English Language by effervescent(m): 1:57pm On Aug 15, 2015
Hello fellow Nairalanders. Wishing you all a fabulous weekend. I happen to be a staunch follower of proceedings, developments and threads on this social platform since Mid 2014 hitherto. I really must concede that I've learnt a great deal courtesy Seun and his savvy allies. However, this will be my maiden post and I fervently enjoin all sectional mods to painstakingly consider this with a view to hoping it makes front page. The aforestated topic borders on the commonest syntax errors virtually everyone is guilty of while employing the Queen's Language. Without further razzmatazz, they are:
1) Incorrect: We discussed about the programme
Correct: we discussed the programme
2) Incorrect: I repeat again that I won't go there
Correct: I repeat that I won't go there
3) Incorrect: The boys returned back at 6 o'clock
Correct: The boys returned at 6 o'clock
4) Incorrect: Nowadays, I use to wake up early
Correct: Nowadays, I wake up early (N.B "used to" is applied when something was done in the past and has now stopped)
5) Incorrect: We shall travel next tomorrow
Correct: We shall travel the day after tomorrow
6) Incorrect: Could you borrow me your pen, please?
Correct: Could you lend me your pen, please?
(Eschew confusing "borrow" with "lend"wink
7) Incorrect: John, off the light
Correct: John switch off the light
cool Incorrect: He eats rice everyday
Correct: He eats rice every day (every and day 're separate words)
9)Incorrect: Five plus three is equals to eight
Correct: Five plus three is equal to eight OR Five plus three equals eight
10) Incorrect: My body is scratching me
Correct: My body itches me (so I'm scratching it)
11)Incorrect: I saw Moses last three days
Correct: I saw Moses three days ago
12) Incorrect: My sister has a beauty saloon
Correct: My sister has a beauty salon {saloon (a car) should not be mistaken for salon (a beauty arena)}
13)Incorrect: More grease to your elbow
Correct: More power to your elbow
14) Incorrect: If one goes to Johannesburg, he will see skyscrapers
Correct: If one goes to Johannesburg, one would see skyscrappers
15) Incorrect: I and Cobhams attended the function
Correct: Cobhams and I attended the function
16) Incorrect: We had toast bread for dinner
Correct: We had "toast" for dinner
17)Incorrect: Aliko Dangote is my sole sponsorer
Correct: Aliko Dangote is my sole sponsor
18)Incorrect: You can't eat your cake and have it
Correct: You can't have your cake and eat it (baffles you? Well, we have no choice than to conform to the precedence of the context)
19) Incorrect: He lives in a three bedroom flat
Correct: He lives in a three bedroomed flat
20) Incorrect: What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Correct: What's "sauce" for the goose is "sauce" for the gander.
ADDITIONAL:
Incorrect: The meeting will hold on Monday
Correct: The meeting will be held on Monday OR The meeting will take place....(It is worthy of note that events don't hold by themselves; people hold events)
Feel free to add yours. We 're all supposed to be open and alive to the cycle of constant learning.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Commonest Syntax Error In English Language by Bacteriocin(m): 1:57pm On Aug 15, 2015
Hmm
Re: 20 Commonest Syntax Error In English Language by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 15, 2015
gracias
Re: 20 Commonest Syntax Error In English Language by amofah1(m): 2:01pm On Aug 15, 2015
dis b totologious inflectusgrin
Re: 20 Commonest Syntax Error In English Language by Aybee92(m): 2:04pm On Aug 15, 2015
Nice 1 thumb up
oya give d d correct syntax lol
Re: 20 Commonest Syntax Error In English Language by Aspiregreat: 4:27pm On Aug 15, 2015
No 18 though. shocked

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter To The UNILORIN SU President And His Pejorative Response. / Jamb Postings: Save My Sibling From Heart-attack. / Here Is The New Secondary School Curriculum,C.A.N Has Misled Ignorant Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.