Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,909 members, 7,872,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:03 AM

Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter (3049 Views)

Why Ndigbo Should Stop Viewing Yoruba's As Cowards- Reno Omokri / Niger Deltans Are Cowards We Know What To Do To Them - Nnamdi Kanu / Gov. El-rufai Appoints Two Yoruba Men Into His Cabinet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 15, 2015
I recently photographed a wedding in Warri, Delta State. It was a union of two different ethnic groups: Yoruba (Groom) & Delta (Bride). The church service started an hour later than planned and seemed like we were going to be in the service forever; perhaps I felt uneasy because I had not eaten breakfast.

It happened when the pastor was preaching his sermon to the new couple. I was so tired and hungry that I didn’t know when I slept off. Perhaps because I was confident that my two assistants would still cover what I miss. Suddenly, I awoke to a loud affirmative revelation uttered by the pastor of the church: YORUBA MEN ARE COWARDS!!! I was shocked. Did he just say what I think he said. He was “encouraging” the husband to learn to stand and protect his new wife in troubled times. The example of a challenging time he gave is “when armed robbers come visiting”. He mentioned that a Yoruba man will flee in the presence of armed robbers and forget his wife. I’m not too sure I got the point he was trying to make. Perhaps the new wife understood what the Pastor meant.

I’m not sure he remembered that the groom he was uniting in holy matrimony was a Yoruba man. I wondered if Yoruba men attend such a church. But then I was quick to remember that there were multitudes of churches to choose from in the oil-rich state.

I felt that was too derogatory a statement to be uttered on the altar of a church. I wondered what the mindset of the members of the church would be like. I wonder what their perspective of Yoruba men will be. More importantly, I wondered how a city filled with so many churches (almost 1 in every 6 buildings…on average) hadn’t experienced a level of development you would associate with a city where God abides. I wondered within….and felt sorry for people who think that they are better than others.

I didn’t know when I left the church auditorium (before the end of his sermon) to go get myself something to eat. Perhaps if I ate some food, my backward thinking Yoruba mindset will make good meaning of what the Pastor just declared in church. Maybe I was just upset because I was (& still am) a Yoruba man.

And we are supposed to be the Light of the World…the Salt of the earth. May God help me not to be a coward. May God help us all.

Source : Eye witness

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Immanueladebol(m): 7:38pm On Aug 15, 2015
Perplexed
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by LEGITLAYO: 7:39pm On Aug 15, 2015
I doubt if that man that joined the newly weds together is a pastor, because ion see anything to warrant that outburst from him, even ignoring the fact that he's joining a yoruba man with a woman.

So what the so called pastor is trying to tell us in essence is that supposing an armed robber attacks a yoruba man's family the event should unfold like this;

AR: everybody lie down flat

YM: eh!! Emi, ah emi, you know who I be??

AR : I sat lie down flat *brandishes a rifle and corks it*

YM: you wan shoot me, oya shoot..

AR: *blows the silly yoruba man's head off*

Nau I think that's how to know a brave yoruba man bah?

Op is very phooolish for creating this thread, and the pastor is not a genuine one.

Nb:AR stands for ARMUROBA
YM stands for YORUBA MAN. cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by funmijoyb(f): 7:43pm On Aug 15, 2015
we yorubas often say this amongst ourselves, Yoruba comedians and musicians have said it long in d past before people of the east and others start laying emphasis on it. that's why is good to call yourself a good name. now we need to redeem our lost image back as fast as we can.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by mymadam(m): 7:43pm On Aug 15, 2015
Lemon12:
...will make good meaning of what the Pastor just declared in church. Maybe I was just upset because I was (& still am) a Yoruba man.

No buddy, you were actually right in the middle of a hunger-induced slumber. Nothing to worry about though, since you eventually got your well-deserved plate of rice. Have a nice day.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Applaner: 7:44pm On Aug 15, 2015
I don't think I understand u.

op,

what is ur problem??

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Dharn(m): 7:45pm On Aug 15, 2015
F
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Ayus34(m): 7:46pm On Aug 15, 2015
That is the raining business pastorpreneur
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by stevecantrell: 7:46pm On Aug 15, 2015
Lem. on12:
I recently photographed a wedding in Warri, Delta State. It was a union of two different ethnic groups: Yoruba (Groom) & Delta (Bride). The church service started an hour later than planned and seemed like we were going to be in the service forever; perhaps I felt uneasy because I had not eaten breakfast.

It happened when the pastor was preaching his sermon to the new couple. I was so tired and hungry that I didn’t know when I slept off. Perhaps because I was confident that my two assistants would still cover what I miss. Suddenly, I awoke to a loud affirmative revelation uttered by the pastor of the church: YORUBA MEN ARE COWARDS!!! I was shocked. Did he just say what I think he said. He was “encouraging” the husband to learn to stand and protect his new wife in troubled times. The example of a challenging time he gave is “when armed robbers come visiting”. He mentioned that a Yoruba man will flee in the presence of armed robbers and forget his wife. I’m not too sure I got the point he was trying to make. Perhaps the new wife understood what the Pastor meant.

I’m not sure he remembered that the groom he was uniting in holy matrimony was a Yoruba man. I wondered if Yoruba men attend such a church. But then I was quick to remember that there were multitudes of churches to choose from in the oil-rich state.

I felt that was too derogatory a statement to be uttered on the altar of a church. I wondered what the mindset of the members of the church would be like. I wonder what their perspective of Yoruba men will be. More importantly, I wondered how a city filled with so many churches (almost 1 in every 6 buildings…on average) hadn’t experienced a level of development you would associate with a city where God abides. I wondered within….and felt sorry for people who think that they are better than others.

I didn’t know when I left the church auditorium (before the end of his sermon) to go get myself something to eat. Perhaps if I ate some food, my backward thinking Yoruba mindset will make good meaning of what the Pastor just declared in church. Maybe I was just upset because I was (& still am) a Yoruba man.

And we are supposed to be the Light of the World…the Salt of the earth. May God help me not to be a coward. May God help us all.

OP, that was not a church, neither was the man on the altar representing the Most High . Everywhere is called 'church' these days.

Story reeks of B.S tho..
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by blackfase(m): 7:47pm On Aug 15, 2015
Kinda lost. D whole narrative is lost on me....dunno! :/
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by rifasenate11(m): 7:48pm On Aug 15, 2015
Lols.. op. You wicked
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by PentiumPro(f): 7:49pm On Aug 15, 2015
Photographer, where are your photos ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 15, 2015
mymadam:

No buddy, you were actually right in the middle of a hunger-induced slumber. Nothing to worry about now, since you eventually got your well-deserved plate of rice. Have a nice day.
u made no sense bro undecided

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 15, 2015
PentiumPro:
u need sample of my shots ??
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Truckpusher(m): 7:54pm On Aug 15, 2015
Op is still hungry . grin
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Happiness87(f): 7:54pm On Aug 15, 2015
Lemon12:

the pastor was trying to drive a point but Used the wrong words.

take heart bro
funmijoyb:
we yorubas often say this to ourselves before people of the east and others start laying emphasis on it. that's why is good to call yourself good name.
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 15, 2015
Truckpusher:
Op is still hungry . grin

undecided undecided
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 15, 2015
funmijoyb:
we yorubas often say this to ourselves before people of the east and others start laying emphasis on it. that's why is good to call yourself good name.
u nailed it

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by PentiumPro(f): 8:00pm On Aug 15, 2015
Lemon12:
u need sample of my shots ??
The so called wedding in your dreams
You fools just love looking for trouble on NL

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 15, 2015
S for seriously?
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by hinwazaka: 8:02pm On Aug 15, 2015
Op, could you please SHUTUP angry
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by cybertyrant(m): 8:06pm On Aug 15, 2015
u got some nerues,i like that
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 15, 2015
PentiumPro:

The so called wedding in your dreams
You fools just love looking for trouble on NL

Smh

1 Share

Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by trapQ: 8:08pm On Aug 15, 2015
Op. The title of this post isn't suitable. Its very wrong, I mean if you're calling out the pastor for bashing yoruba men. Your title suggests that from your previous encounters, Yoruba men are actually cowards.
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Nobody: 8:09pm On Aug 15, 2015
hinwazaka:
Op, could you please SHUTUP angry
why should I??

Or are u a Coward?
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 15, 2015
Funny shiiit grin grin
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 15, 2015
trapQ:
Op. The title of this post isn't suitable. Its very wrong, I mean if you're calling out the pastor for bashing yoruba men. Your title suggests that from your previous encounters, Yoruba men are actually cowards.
are u saying that WE yoruba people are coward
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 8:14pm On Aug 15, 2015
Lemon12:
Immanueladebol:
Perplexed

Mumu
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by trapQ: 8:14pm On Aug 15, 2015
I never said so... I only said that from your title you're trying to say that Yoruba men are actually cowards. Your title is wrong and could've started a tribal war if people didn't read the entire story
Lemon12:
are u saying that WE yoruba people are coward
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 15, 2015
God hate tribalists, OP shun tribalism it does not pay
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:15pm On Aug 15, 2015
Anything u like, make dem talk
Re: Yoruba Men Are Cowards --- My Encounter by ARIZONA123(m): 8:16pm On Aug 15, 2015
PentiumPro:
. Hey she.MALE! What say ya about the pastor's sermon? Lmaooo

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

20 Things Nigerians Should Know About Dasuki Sambo (with Photos) / Ameachi's Tweet That Is Currently Arousing Mixed Reactions From Nigerians / IBB Dead?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.