Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,648 members, 7,979,193 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 11:11 PM

What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? (5899 Views)

Boko Haram Attacks Village, Kills People, Burns Entire Village On Christmas / “God Owns Lagos, Entire Universe” – PDP Blasts Oba Of Lagos / Nigeria Or South Africa , Which Is More Violent ? I Need To Know Urgently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by RevMallam: 7:37pm On Mar 28, 2009
cold:

Young man,pls stop givin us all these holier than thou sermons.I travel home too and do my bit.I have received an award from an orphanage home whilst in Nigeria for volunteering my tym and resources to teach in the home.But that is bsides the point-the point is the system does not permit "good samaritanism",there's no level playing ground and You run the risk of been annihilated if u try to change the system.So givin loans and volunteering will not get us into top 20 countries.The Nigerian problem is leadership;period.

LOL, I am NOT young, but wish I was. I last saw youth  a decade ago. I am not holy either, don't  even go to church,  (see my other posts). I do however disagree that small loans do not change people. Ask Indians where this is a big venture. You will be amazed at the number of people who have never seen 20 thousand naira in their entire life. Yes it does change life and I encourage you to try it and then let us know the results.
Secondly, I also disagree that Nigeria's problem is Leadership only. I am of the opinion, that it is 50% leadership and 50% the people.
And yes, you can, if you band with others make a difference BUT you can also do it on your own by changing ONE life at a time.
I applaud you for your efforts so far, but why not take it a step further by getting more friends involved?
revmallam
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by RevMallam: 7:49pm On Mar 28, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

I've actually tried to start a Nigerian Organization tongue Didn't work.
Not a big organization sha. Just a school thing.
I've had it planned out, organized it and talked to some people. wink

I know how long and how hard it is to get student grants. embarassed

This summer, I want to put it into action or sth.
No, it does not include sending money to naija angry angry
Just a club or organization. wink

GOOOD LUCK and hope it works, just be sure to start small with one or two people. When you get those to see the value of what you are trying to do and get them to share your vision, they will do the rest of the work for you. Just don't expect 100 % success and WHATEVER you do, NEVER SPEND MONEY that will NOT GROW money except ofcourse what is needed to organize the organization.
Have you however noticed that 95% of the respondents have avoided the question or tried to change the topic?
Keep up the good work.
revmallam

Gators!

Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Sammy107d(m): 7:56pm On Mar 28, 2009
Have you every threw a paper out your car window?
Have you ever complained about how dirty the roads are?

"Ask not what your country can do for you, "
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Sammy107d(m): 7:58pm On Mar 28, 2009
Sammy107_d:

Have you every threw a paper out your car window?

*Thrown tongue
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by cold(m): 7:59pm On Mar 28, 2009
When i used the phrase "holier than thou" it has nothin to do xtianity or goin to church,neither does the phrase "young man necessarily mean youth.You should know better.Bak to the subject,i did not say givin loans does not change lives,pls don't misconstrue me because i'm also in the philantrophy business but i'm not maqin plenty of noise abt it.We're talkin abt movin ahead as a nation.It is mind boggling how an individual wld corner everything meant for the citizenry,we're talkin abt primitive accumulation of wealth,we're talkin abt greed,avarice,land grab etc.GET IT?
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Mar 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@Ebony-silk, do tell us more about this organization. I want to know more.
Ok, it's not being active yet.
As a college freshmen, I wanted a Nigerian organization because there were quite a few Nigerians at my school.
But living off campus made it hard to get ppl together and work on something.

Don't want to look tribalist and all, but the organization was typically about anything yoruba, exposing foreigners to my culture and my people.

That was before I came on NL wink. After being exposed to different cultures on NL, I've decided to widen the horizon and make it Cultures all over Nigeria.
Yes, I love my country with it's ups and downs and I could never change that. I want to expose ppl to what I love.

Recently, there was a cultural explosion, didn't see Nigerians participating. Saddens me embarassed

Now, during this summer I'm willing to live on-campus to see what I can put together and how it works. So by fall, at least by Junior year, I should get everything in order. Support from faculties, colleagues and administrative.

I hope my passion/ persistence overwhelms me enough to make it work wink

Actually, I renewed my idea from one of Osisi's Igbo's thread about an Igbo village oversea and what they were constructing this summer. That's the kind of opportunities and ideas I love. I'd have love to be there to be on my knees and working with muds, stones, etc. smiley

One step at a time

Once again, I am NOT sending money to no Nigerian organization angry angry

GOOOD LUCK and hope it works, just be sure to start small with one or two people. When you get those to see the value of what you are trying to do and get them to share your vision, they will do the rest of the work for you. Just don't expect 100 % success and WHATEVER you do, NEVER SPEND MONEY that will NOT GROW money except ofcourse what is needed to organize the organization.
Have you however noticed that 95% of the respondents have avoided the question or tried to change the topic?
Keep up the good work.
revmallam
Thanks.
I see my idea as a success, now am waiting for the accomplishment wink tongue
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by MrCrackles(m): 8:02pm On Mar 28, 2009
Sammy107_d:

Have you every[b] threw [/b] a paper out your car window?

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked cheesy
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Sammy107d(m): 8:04pm On Mar 28, 2009
MrCrackles:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked cheesy

appropriate reaction

where d hell is that damned modify button
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Mar 28, 2009
Oh everyone misses the modify button cheesy grin cheesy
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by MrCrackles(m): 8:06pm On Mar 28, 2009
Sammy107_d:

appropriate reaction

where d hell is that damned modify button

Ask Seun and not me! cheesy grin
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by MrCrackles(m): 8:08pm On Mar 28, 2009
If we commit English murder on NL, and realise this later, there is no way we can modify and redeem ourselves

Oga Seun don do im thing, foul yansh must to open at all cost
!!! grin
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Becomrrich: 8:13pm On Mar 28, 2009
it is not that you commit murder english murder, seun is trying using you to make money.

Revmallam I know you are telling a lie about do so many thing for nigeria.

And if you claim you live abroad. then you should know what other countries do for thier citizen and you do not need to ask.

Just say , you do not know and you want to know.

And if you are with the nigeria, and you want me to like nigeria, can nigeria buy me a private jet. ? If nigeria can buy me a private jet then i know Nigeria love me. I am joking.

If I start we would never finish. I live abroad and I know. Even no matter how much you people may claim you hate white people online. If you look at what thier society offer you. Nigeria does not offer the same.

Even if you want to success, people in nigeria govt would look for ways to block you. That how nigerian think. Many nigerian abroad dont associate with other nigeria because that bring you down is till in them.

You see we would tell you when we get to benin republic.  

Now revmallam can you show me how nigeria have love me. I mean what have nigeria done for me,

If you show what nigeria have done for me. I would show you several i have done for nigeria with no reward for it. I have contributed more to nigeria than your president.
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by asha80(m): 8:34pm On Mar 28, 2009
grin cheesy grin cheesy grin ^^^
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Sammy107d(m): 8:36pm On Mar 28, 2009
Becomrrich:

it is not that you commit murder english murder, seun is trying using you to make money.

And if you claim you live abroad. then you should know what other countries do for thier citizen and you do not need to ask.

And if you are with the nigeria, and you want me to like nigeria, can nigeria buy me a private jet. ? If nigeria can buy me a private jet then i know Nigeria love me. I am joking.

If I start we would never finish. I live abroad and I know. Even no matter how much you people may claim you hate white people online. If you look at what thier society offer you. Nigeria does not offer the same.

Even if you want to success, people in nigeria govt would look for ways to block you. That how nigerian think. Many nigerian abroad dont associate with other nigeria because that bring you down is till in them.

Now revmallam can you show me how nigeria have love me. I mean what have nigeria done for me,

If you show what nigeria have done for me. I would show you several i have done for nigeria with no reward for it. I have contributed more to nigeria than your president.

oh for love of modification!
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Omonla(f): 8:48pm On Mar 28, 2009
RevMallam:

Strange that you elaborate on financial crimes but then you encourage lawlessness. I also visit Nigeria, but I have never contributed to the scheme you mentioned although I have been asked several times. The worst that has happened to me was being detained between Owerri and Aba road for a total of 3 hours for refusing to comply. When I was released, I promptly filed a complaint against the officers at Owerri and in the end, they were transfered out. Currently, my lawyers are working on a case against another police division, but I will not go into details. You see, you can stand your ground if you do it the right way.
On the second point, I do object to the branding of Nigeria as the only country with financial crimes problems by various postings. The truth is that, it is a global problem and what is happening in the western world now proves me right.
But,I was looking for Financial or some other Tangible contributions. All the same,  have you considered investing or contributed to your community by making a small loan to one poor woman or man? Be sure they present you with what they intend to do with the money THAT WILL YIELD MORE money. Never give money to consumers. You will be amazed how far 50 thousand invested in selling Garri will change the life of a poor woman or man and how happier you will be seeing your contributions change a life. Give it a try.
revmallam

@Revmallam,

Awesome question. Let me give you an illustration of why Nigerians who truly want Nigeria to succeed, are not bothering to do so at this time:

1) Anyone who attempts to make a positive contribution (financial, time or otherwise) will most certainly fall victim to the majority of Nigerians who will take advantage of that goodwill to line their pockets with someone else's hard earned money. You may contend that those who take advantage of someone's goodness were forced to do so because they have been treated unfairly by someone else in the past - You would be right.
Therefore, it is a catch-22. Vicious cycle. You con me, I con you, and the good guy who comes along and tries to end the cycle will not succeed until the majority of Nigerians decide to pay forward some good, no matter whether evil was done to them previously.

2) Then, there is the issue of disunity, and here are a few examples: You may have noticed that Nairaland is rift with one tribe or the other exchanging insults, constantly on edge when their particular ethnic group is discussed to the point of responding on such threads with only verbal attacks at the average neutral poster (I stumbled across one thread like that, and was amazed at the lack of intellect behind the ethnic arguments I saw, only emotional outbursts that had no logical conclusions); and then there is the low self worth of certain tribes/persons on Nairaland, who have self-ostracized themselves because of a mass hysteria within such tribes that the rest of Nigeria/the world is out to get them. Paranoid disunity.

3) Consider the land mass of America. Texas alone, is almost the size of Nigeria. America became great because of factors like its huge land mass with the different areas pooling their resources. Nigeria would have a greater chance at success in West Africa, and then perhaps Africa again, as it is the largest land mass in the West African area, if ALL Nigerian groups pool their resources. Success could still be possible if Nigeria became fragmented (since it appears there are various threads on Nairaland about why the Yorubas or some other goodness knows tribe, needs to join some other Earth region).

3) America and the U.K. are diverse, with blacks, and whites, and we all know the different colors. Yet, those various groups put their differences aside and join their armies, or work their jobs in such a way that the countries succeed, no matter what the different people, white, black, native indian etc think of each other. What makes them so unified, despite their obvious background quarrels? When Nigeria can answer that, it would be the first step to a diverse, but successful country.

So tell me, Revmallam, if Nigerians should be doing something for Nigeria, don't you think it is a losing battle when these issues still exist?
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by RevMallam: 9:04pm On Mar 28, 2009
Becomrrich:

You seem to have a panchant for attempting to change topics from the original issues to "hating white people", "hating America", hating this or that. I don't really see where this topic has said anything about hating anyone.
So, since you live abroad, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR WHERE YOU LIVE?. I will not discuss where I live, but be assured that I have lived in both US and Britain  and STILL live outside Nigeria and that I am fully aware of what they "offer" their citizens. So here is my challenge, name ONE THING that US or Britain offers their citizens and how those "gifts" get to the recipients.
I implied that I will list what Nigeria has done for every Nigerian in the original post. Then I will list what US and Britain has done for their citizens too. I believe then we can compare and contrast. But these will be in different posts.
Sadly, you are sticking to the same old dogma of blame the "leadership", but that is a topic for another post.
So let's assume, I don't know what I am talking about and have never left my back yard in Nigeria, so PLEASE tell us  WHAT have you done for YOUR community where ever  it is?
Just curious: have you noticed that only 4% of respondents, have made any form of contributions to the country others criticize?
revmallam
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Becomrrich: 9:06pm On Mar 28, 2009
omona,

la tedefe magbed egbi ki takihi , iput udan mau ki le te.

Do you know what that means. You dont know. the USA may be 300 million but nigeria speak more languages than america.  The bible says God confused thier languages and it cause confusion in their lifes.  that was in Babel.

We have too many languages and that is why we have problem. we are different from each other.

Ipakite, layye mae , kitare maje ba ti gedefo.

Do you know languages is that in nigeria.   Anybody online that get it. I would give you $100

This is the reason we have problem.

if we remove the yorubas and bendle , bayelsa from nigeria. we solve alot of problem.

What are the languages in western niger of nigeria. Isoko, Uhrobo, itsekiri, ijaw, yoruba, egun, igbira, igalla, kwale, borgu, nupe, igbo, kurukuru, ishan, edo, this are just the few i  can remember.  So imagine nigeria how many in nigeria, i think they say 400. USA does not have 400 languages.

I believe we can have ecowas. but as different countries like europe, with the yoruba in republic of benin.
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Becomrrich: 9:13pm On Mar 28, 2009
many thing they do, it does not have to be money my friend. Good road, hospital, school and others.

there is no street in toronto that does not have tarred road. how many street have that.
leaders dont buy private jet from other people income, my brother, but your leaders either political or otherwise . they have not learn what service is, They believe the people must serve them.

every home have water, hot and cool, do your have that in nigeria, if you do, look if i write list we no go finish. This is what i would bring if i governor a state in nigeria. i would bring what i have seen and how it is done. I can tell you, but you would not be able to do it without living it.
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by oderemo(m): 9:18pm On Mar 28, 2009
would bring if i governor a state in nigeria.

talk is cheap.
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by RevMallam: 9:24pm On Mar 28, 2009
cold:

When i used the phrase "holier than thou" it has nothin to do xtianity or goin to church,neither does the phrase "young man necessarily mean youth.You should know better.Bak to the subject,i did not say givin loans does not change lives,pls don't misconstrue me because i'm also in the philantrophy business but i'm not maqin plenty of noise abt it.We're talkin abt movin ahead as a nation.It is mind boggling how an individual wld corner everything meant for the citizenry,we're talkin abt primitive accumulation of wealth,we're talkin abt greed,avarice,land grab etc.GET IT?

I applaud you for your philanthropic ventures and believe me, most of us that are doing it do not wear it on our sleeves, but I was asked to list what I have done. Yes, the world is where it is today, because a few individuals cornered global wealth and they are NOT Nigerians. Was it not the late Mallam Umaru Dikko who preached against unbridled greed and avarice in his failed campaign back in the 1980's? I GET IT, and PLEASE keep doing what you are doing, one poor person at a time and watch it multiply. Poor people never change systems, perhaps, when the number of changed people grows, they will join in initiating change !
revmallam
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by RevMallam: 9:44pm On Mar 28, 2009
Omonla:

@Revmallam,

Awesome question. Let me give you an illustration of why Nigerians who truly want Nigeria to succeed, are not bothering to do so at this time:

1) Anyone who attempts to make a positive contribution (financial, time or otherwise) will most certainly fall victim to the majority of Nigerians who will take advantage of that goodwill to line their pockets with someone else's hard earned money. You may contend that those who take advantage of someone's goodness were forced to do so because they have been treated unfairly by someone else in the past - You would be right.
Therefore, it is a catch-22. Vicious cycle. You con me, I con you, and the good guy who comes along and tries to end the cycle will not succeed until the majority of Nigerians decide to pay forward some good, no matter whether evil was done to them previously.

So tell me, Revmallam, if Nigerians should be doing something for Nigeria, don't you think it is a losing battle when these issues still exist?

NO, IT IS NOT a LOSING BATTLE !!. Your points are well thought out and intellectually stimulating, but I do disagree that it is a losing battle.
Nigeria is NOT alone in the vicious cycle you describe. It turns out that I work with a lot of people from foreign countries mostly Indians and Chinese. We talk everyday and believe me, they same exact problems you described.
Believe it or there are many Nigerians who have found ways around it and continued to pursue whatever contributions they want to make to their communities. You have them both in Nigeria and abroad and I know quite a few where I live. I think that most of us have bought into the myth that all is lost BUT I say it is the opposite, Nigeria is changing and changing fast. The old guard is dying out and when they are all gone, maybe in a decade, you will see.
Another mistake some of us make is that when we attempt to get into making a change, we attempt to start out big or start with our immediate family. Try my formula, go back to your village or town and find one poor person and try to change them. Starting with your family seldom works from experience.
Don't give up and you will be amazed and how far you can go with the equivalent of what you spend on things you don't need currently.
revmallam
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by RevMallam: 10:04pm On Mar 28, 2009
Becomrrich:

many thing they do, it does not have to be money my friend. Good road, hospital, school and others.

there is no street in toronto that does not have tarred road. how many street have that.
leaders dont buy private jet from other people income, my brother, but your leaders either political or otherwise . they have not learn what service is, They believe the people must serve them.

every home have water, hot and cool, do your have that in nigeria, if you do, look if i write list we no go finish. This is what i would bring if i governor a state in nigeria. i would bring what i have seen and how it is done. I can tell you, but you would not be able to do it without living it.
Are you sure?? Because I am certain it CERTAINLY has to do with money and those good roads, schools, hospitals etc are paid for by the citizens.
||Every home has water , || NOT TRUE. BUT TRUE if you the OCCUPANTS PAY for it.
|| FREE HOSPITAL , || NOT TRUE, every citizen pays for it.
|| FREE GOOD ROADS , || NOT TRUE. In America, all public roads are maintained by Gasoline tax. Infact, 60% of Gas (petrol) in US is used to build and maintain roads. Same for most of Europe.
||FREE SCHOOLS, || NOT TRUE. Schools in America are funded by Taxes levied on ALL homes in the district.
||FREE STREET LIGHTS etc, , || NOT TRUE, funded by municipal taxes added on food and groceries. Where I live, everything you buy is taxed @ 7 ++ no matter how small.
||THEY DON'T BUY JETS WITH PUBLIC FUNDS, || NOT TRUE, All the contracts to rebuild IRAQ was seceretly awarded to well connected insiders at a total cost of more than $50 billion. The global FRAUD aka "global meltdown" resulted from the extension of massive looting of private funds by few individuals.
Obviously, you have chosen not to answer the question.
revmallam
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Becomrrich: 11:19pm On Mar 28, 2009
The day obama have 1/10 what 90% of nigeria governors have in dollar. American would stop paying taxes.

Nigerian should not pay taxes because thier leaders can not be trusted. This are people who steal non tax money, what do you think would happen to tax money my brother. It would all disappear.

Look I pay tax over here, what i see what my tax is use for. if we stop seen what our tax is used for people would stop. We see the roads and go to hospital and the most important thing, we do not see the leader as rich as nigeria leaders, governor.

Look my friend a 90% of the chairmen in nigeria local govt are richer than obama. And you want people to pay tax. Let nigeria leader use the money they steal to repair the road and use it for the hospital. one ex governor is 100 times richer than obama.

Let the present governor go and collect the money from them and forget tax. that money is enough for building road. No tax for nigerian, they already paying to much.

The problem is not to make nigerian pay more taxes but over here most taxes go to the state,

So the following taxes in nigeria should be collected by state and not the federal. this is where the problem . the federal is collecting everthing. that why we have the problem.

what they need to do is VAT which the federal is collecting should be collected by state.
educational tax by state and not the federal govt.
personal tax should be state agency.
company tax should be collect by state agency.
petrol tax should be collected by state agency.
corporate tax should be collected by state agency.
custom duties should be collected by state agency.
capital gains tax should be collected by state agency.
Taxes on gaming should be collected by state agency.
Transport taxes should be collected by state agency.
Tax on commercial premises should be collected by state agency.

The issue is not more tax, but the federal govt is collecting money that state should be collecting.
that what need to be solve and not ask nigerian for more money. for what?
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Becomrrich: 11:47pm On Mar 28, 2009
This is Obama house. No nigeria governor live less than this, no nigeria senator live less than this.

Even thier person assistance have better houses than obama. And i think it has may be 3 or 4 rooms. can you compare to what your local goverment chairman live in. They all live in mansion.
So forget the tax on nigerian, they have suffered to much

Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by RevMallam: 11:55pm On Mar 28, 2009
Becomrrich:

what they need to do is VAT which the federal is collecting should be collected by state.
educational tax by state and not the federal govt.
personal tax should be state agency.
company tax should be collect by state agency.
petrol tax should be collected by state agency.
corporate tax should be collected by state agency.
custom duties should be collected by state agency.
capital gains tax should be collected by state agency.
Taxes on gaming should be collected by state agency.
Transport taxes should be collected by state agency.
Tax on commercial premises should be collected by state agency.

The issue is not more tax, but the federal govt is collecting money that state should be collecting.
that what need to be solve and not ask nigerian for more money. for what?

My dear friend, your assertions are mostly incorrect.  Before leaving Nigeria, I worked as a Tax collector in the ministry of internal revenue and speaking from experience and I still have friends in that ministry, I can tell you that less than 20% of Nigerians pay taxes. Infact, only those with jobs pay any form of taxes. The other segment of Nigerian population that pays any form of taxes are businesses engaged in import export. The other form of taxes paid by businesses in Nigeria are fees levied by various local governments and that's it.
Now to the other points you raised, they are also factually inaccurate.
Here in he US, practicly al the taxes you mentioned are collected BY THE STATES for the FEDERAL government. Infact, US constitution prohibits states from enacting some of the taxes you mentioned because they fall into federal domain. Example, when you feel your gas tank in the US, two taxes are automatically added to it. One for the federal and another for the States used to maintain local roads.  If you have lived in the US, you will noticed that at the end of the year, you file two tax documents, one for the state and another for the federal.
Finally, it equally inaccurate to say that most Nigerian governors are richer than Obama. True to some degree but not generally. Fact, 98% of all US senators are millionaires and promptly amass more wealth by becoming lobbyist for the same laws they helped enact in the first place.
Back to Obama, he had a Net worth of over  3 million before taking office (he made most of his money from book writing). Contrary to most assumptions, he was NOT a poor man. Politics the world over has not been a game for the poor and Nigeria is no exception.
But the point is that, if you help change a poor person, they will see the imbalance and as you know, it's more difficult to bribe an informed mind.
revmallam
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by RevMallam: 12:02am On Mar 29, 2009
Becomrrich:

This is Obama house. No nigeria governor live less than this, no nigeria senator live less than this.

Go to http://www.zillow.com/ and enter the zipcode where that house is located. After looking at the price range, (before Obama took office) you will quickly realize that you are comparing apples and oranges.
revmallam
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Epi: 12:10am On Mar 29, 2009
@Rev

Excellent topic

*every little counts*
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by lucabrasi(m): 12:15am On Mar 29, 2009
a thread 2 pages long, and apart from just one or two ppl who have talked about what they have done fr nigeria,the rest up to the usual passing of blame, i have seen some of the usual suspects in the first page,expecting the rest of the gang soon grin grin grin
@poster
hope you r ready for the gang to pour vitriol on you,they certainly wont answer the thread as all they have done is complain,complain,blame,blame,complain and then highlights all the ills in nigeria, (settles in and waits)
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Becomrrich: 12:25am On Mar 29, 2009
Here in he US, practicly al the taxes you mentioned are collected BY THE STATES for the FEDERAL government.

Revmallam , like i said before , I do not think you live in america. You claim they collect for the federal government. what are you talking about. What the hell. The keep the money to themself.

Look VAT is what they call state tax in the USA. And each state have different % they they collect. If they were collecting for the federal why would they % be different. No way this tax are collected by state and not federal govt.

The state are independant of the federal, even state in the USA can leave the USA and become a country of thier own. Do your search.

Who rules high school , who runs elementary school state or municipal. And they use education and other to fund it. what is the business of nigeria govt in education tax. what the hell are you talking about are you living in zamfara state of america (ZSA)  or in kebbi state of america(KSA).

The day the USA govt takes those right away. I know america, all the state would decide to leave the federation. That is what federation stand for.

Here in he US, practicly al the taxes you mentioned are collected BY THE STATES for the FEDERAL government.

Nigeria is a federal system and in federal system state are  self-governing country on thier own. they do not dependent on the federal. the USA state are independant . New york can buy nigeria. texas can buy nigeria. what do you mean.

Ontario budget was $99 billion last years. give federal what money, hell no, The state are rich that why they can do what they do,

Do you think if kano state  VAT , educational tax, personal tax ,company tax
petrol tax
corporate tax
custom duties
capital gains tax
Taxes on gaming
Transport taxes
Tax on commercial premises

And you think kano state governor would come to abuja to see Soludo again. Or you think if kano state collect this tax. south south would continue to call them lazy.

your constitution says we are a federal system.

see this, you are not using the constitution,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by Becomrrich: 12:38am On Mar 29, 2009
state do not collect tax for the federal they keep the tax, what you may have read, is that there are some tax the state collect for federal govt. which is true. the federal does not collect money directly. it is the state that coillect and now send out the federal portion. in some payment, but not the above, this are state tax.

even the airport and seaport are own by state , not federal govt.

kano state should own the kano airport , while sokoto state should own the sokoto airport.
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by texazzpete(m): 12:44am On Mar 29, 2009
some of the most important things you can do for Nigeria are
1. Obey the laws
2. Pay taxes so there's money to build the country
3. Pay utility bills so there are sufficient funds to maintain and improve infrastructure
4. Take a stand against corruption

I cannot understand where this mindset that most of the 'bad mouthing' comes from Nigerians in diaspora. A large number of Nigerians on ground are equally dissatisfied with the state of the country and are extremely vocal too.
Re: What Have You Done For Nigeria Or Your Country In Your Entire Life? by RevMallam: 12:54am On Mar 29, 2009
Becomrrich:

Revmallam , like i said before , I do not think you live in america. You claim they collect for the federal government. what are you talking about. What the hell. The keep the money to themself,

As I said before, your assertions are misleading but you seem bent on perpetuating this myth of  perfection in far away lands. Contrary to your assertions, no state in the US can break away or declare themself a country. When the Southern region of the US tried it, it led to the American civil war of 1861. When was the last time you filed your taxes in the US? Please take a closer look at your 1040 documents or visit the IRS website.  Here what to do, next time you  fill up your gas tank in America, look closely at the gas pumps or ask the clerk or better yet, why not visit the websites of  any state and check out the revenue sources?
I will assume that you have intentionally refused to answer or I can reasonably  conclude that you have done absolutely nothing for the betterment of your community, because you believe your community has done nothing for you. This is sadly tragic and is exactly the problem.
So let's say You don't want to do anything for Nigeria because Nigeria has done nothing for you, then, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE OR CONTRIBUTED to where you call home? Please NOTHING personal, but it seems to me, you are intentionally spreading misleading information, (reminds me of FOX news networks)
revmallam

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Jonathan Missing From Us List Of Most Influential Nigerians / Video Of OAU Students Protest Against President Jonathan Emerges / Oyo State Creates New 35 Local Government Development Area Council.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.