Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,807 members, 7,872,684 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 07:42 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1513) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4523928 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1510) (1511) (1512) (1513) (1514) (1515) (1516) ... (3702) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:13am On Aug 10, 2020
Dominionng:

1. They have their names boldly written on them, with s/n and date of production at the edges, while the China boards are mostly nameless

2. Comes in single sheet, while the China boards are mostly double packed with a paper tape to bind them. See image 1 and 2

3. You can feel the strength by lifting both

4. Site test: Cut a small piece of both(like 1ft by 1ft), dip in water for like an hour, one comes out useless, while the other remain solid, can be dried and reused.

This is very valid!

But will I use both material for the same job? No! I use those for interior jobs only.

Here’s a product that fit perfectly the description of the China product above that’s sold in the US and Canada and the manufacturer were specific about its application (indoor)

https://www.certainteed.com/drywall/products/silentfx-quickcut-drywall/

CertainTeed Regular Gypsum Board accepts most types of paints, texture and wall covering materials. The surface shall be primed and sealed with a full-bodied latex primer before applying a final decorative material. This will equalize the suction between the joint compounds and the paper surface. For best painting results, all surfaces, including joint compound, should be clean, dust-free and not glossy. If glossy paints are used, a thin skim coat of compound over the entire surface, Level 5 finish, is recommended to reduce highlighting or joint photographing. This method is also recommended for areas of critical sidelighting of natural or artificial light sources. A sealer application under wallpaper or other wall covering is also recommended so the board surface will not be damaged if the covering is subsequently removed during redecorating. Joint treatment must be thoroughly dry before proceeding with primer-sealer application and final decoration. For a complete mold resistant system, use with M2Tech finishing products where available.

https://www.certainteed.com/products/m2tech-90-moisture-and-mold-resistant-setting-compound-11kg-bag/

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:35am On Aug 10, 2020
Dominionng:

cheesy cheesy What's my own if you choose to buy substandard plasterboards. Even with your 6k non gypsum packaged board, still not feasible at 4k/sqm for a designed/suspended POP ceiling. Whoever chooses to believe these joke figures does so at his/her own risk. Enough said

You will not die young my brother.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:43am On Aug 10, 2020
Drywall, Plasterboard or Suspended Ceilings? Pls do you due diligence.

I schooled around Jibowu and I can tell for over 2 decades plasterboards are being imported into the area (especially those tagged knock-offs)

People use them. They don’t throw them away.

Happy New Week!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by forandy(m): 10:10am On Aug 10, 2020
Badgers14:

Do you have pictures of your recent projects?

Here you go, sir

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 10:51am On Aug 10, 2020
To see how it is being used ni sir smiley
n3xt:

To achieve what exactly? See how plasterboard is being used? Or validate my assertions? grin

That’s why there’s internet for you to do your findings.
I tested the same on a personal project and found it a cheaper alternative and ever since I’ve been using it on my projects.

You can just use a small bathroom project to do cost comparison.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 11:41am On Aug 10, 2020
Nero2424:

Nigerians don't put cost into consideration, they just go with the crowd.... Western world don't worry themselves with POP, Parapet, wall edges, pillars, tiling kitchen from floor to ceiling and so many addons that makes building a house more expensive. They just make it simple and detailed and keeping the surrounding beautiful and clean.
Nigerians mostly have go with the crowd mentality instead of being creative.... installing parapet seem sensible since our wood treatment techniques and chemical are substandard else your boards will collapse within 5 years. Western houses are very very expensive but simple, beautiful and elegant, and only where the dishwashing sink and cooking areas are usually tiled, the rest is just extra decor.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wyloutproperty: 12:17pm On Aug 10, 2020
megacontrol:
How does the cost compare per sqm with PoP?

Prices varies with quality of plaster board.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SurveyorGeo: 1:19pm On Aug 10, 2020
Good Afternoon My Ogas, please what is the meaning of "Kobo Kobo Project"?. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dubemcapital1(m): 1:31pm On Aug 10, 2020
SurveyorGeo:
Good Afternoon My Ogas, please what is the meaning of "Kobo Kobo Project"?. Thanks

grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 10, 2020
You can get hardwood doors for the bedrooms since you want durability. I'd advise you use that over MDF. Toilet doors are different & I would recommend maybe glass door designs.

For average cost you can go for chinese hdf designs for the bedrooms. They are cheaper than the ones from turkey & co.

You can contact me for your doors. Also check my thread for some door samples

shogbenga:
Hello house, happy Sunday

Kindly advise on the type of door one can use for a bedroom and the toilet. The apartment is for rental in a highbrow area

My objective is durability and average cost. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 1:46pm On Aug 10, 2020
SurveyorGeo:

Lolzzzzzz grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 2:22pm On Aug 10, 2020
Only those wey start understand grin grin shocked
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wyloutproperty: 2:46pm On Aug 10, 2020
n3xt:

Good job!

n3xt:

Good job!

Thanks man.

Though we prefer to use aluminum metal ceiling or composite ceiling tiles for our corporate clients we recommend plaster board for our cost sensitive clients. We consider safety, utility, acoustics and aesthetics.

Pictures 1&2 are plaster board ceiling from way back in 2011, picture 3 is perforated metal ceiling tiles.

While picture 4 is pop cast ceiling from a property we acquired for a client. The holes were from a little leak in the roof some installations. We are stripping off the entire ceiling and replacing it with metal tiles. The property is being renovated to a commercial property.

https://www.nairaland.com/1082585/2020-building-construction-office-fitout

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 3:13pm On Aug 10, 2020
My ogas in the house please can anybody help me with the area of this roof plan (attached). its for a 4bedroom flat. the total area of building is 177.323m2. while the length (16651mm) and breath (10650mm) of the building from calculations i learnt here and online tallies with the area of build. adding 20% gives me a total of 212.796m2 but the carpenter that measured my roof is saying it is 280m2 please help a brother out before them use my kobo kobo money do palliative. thank u

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tonididdy(m): 3:16pm On Aug 10, 2020
Famz

We all know for proper drainage, a surface has to be slopped to an angle.

My other question is, can't water flow on a flat surface (if the water is continuous and concentrated, (Like heavy rainfall), wouldn't it flow regardless of the surface angle?)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Onlygrace0: 5:22pm On Aug 10, 2020
veekid:
Has anyone here worked with oluwashegun01 before?
I'm already regretting patronising him for my borehole drilling

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by veekid(m): 5:29pm On Aug 10, 2020
Onlygrace0:
I'm already regretting patronising him for my borehole drilling
lit me
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dwanay(m): 6:06pm On Aug 10, 2020
please call for your tiles installation. .

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 10, 2020
bereiweris:
My ogas in the house please can anybody help me with the area of this roof plan (attached). its for a 4bedroom flat. the total area of building is 177.323m2. while the length (16651mm) and breath (10650mm) of the building from calculations i learnt here and online tallies with the area of build. adding 20% gives me a total of 212.796m2 but the carpenter that measured my roof is saying it is 280m2 please help a brother out before them use my kobo kobo money do palliative. thank u

What's the height of your kingpost?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wyloutproperty: 6:34pm On Aug 10, 2020
Dominionng:

Don't sweat it sir, it's better but not cheaper. Do you think something will be better and cheaper and the entire country will be blind to it? At the moment, I'm running projects using plasterboard with grids, plasterboard without grids, POP precast and full dry construction(building without blocks). I get these materials almost every week and been doing these here almost a decade, biko don't be deceived.

Ceiling tiles be it metal or composite don't come cheap. See one of our interesting job below

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 6:57pm On Aug 10, 2020
Wyloutproperty:

Thanks man.

Though we prefer to use aluminum metal ceiling or composite ceiling tiles for our corporate clients we recommend plaster board for our cost sensitive clients. We consider safety, utility, acoustics and aesthetics.

Pictures 1&2 are plaster board ceiling from way back in 2011, picture 3 is perforated metal ceiling tiles.

While picture 4 is pop cast ceiling from a property we acquired for a client. The holes were from a little leak in the roof some installations. We are stripping off the entire ceiling and replacing it with metal tiles. The property is being renovated to a commercial property.

https://www.nairaland.com/1082585/2020-building-construction-office-fitout

Which type of ceiling are better heat insulating?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by blackboy(m): 7:18pm On Aug 10, 2020
Greetings. Pls does painting of the PoP necessary after completion? What kind of paint is to be used if yes
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:31pm On Aug 10, 2020
blackboy:
Greetings. Pls does painting of the PoP necessary after completion? What kind of paint is to be used if yes
Yes. White emulsion paint.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 8:43pm On Aug 10, 2020
mufutau55:
My brothers and sisters. I have been following the cost comparison between the regular POP and the Plasterboard for ceiling works.
Theory is good but practical is a different thing entirely.
Please do your due deligence and do not contract anyone until you have done your verifications. We do not need anyone coming back here with story that touches.
We have many artisan that does the regular POP here reputably but few people with plasterboard work. I personally beleive if the plasterboard ceilings is cheaper, I am sure most of us would have been using it more. Please make sure you are not following packagings. So, do your due deligence about the cost before you engage in it. Just a warning from experience.
I am not recommending between regular POP and Plasterboard ceiling neither am I recommending any artisan or contractor; just do your personal due deligence before you part with your hard earned money.
Please beware of packagings, as we call it here.
If you experiment with Plasterboard, please come back here and tell us the pros and the cons. Thanks.

Hajji M.

Thanks sir. Well said because people tend to use cheap quotes to lure people into what they know it's not attainable in some cases. Your summary is valid.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by blackboy(m): 8:44pm On Aug 10, 2020
gbadexy:

Yes. White emulsion paint.
Many thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 8:45pm On Aug 10, 2020
diordaves:

Cornice is included in the price if your preferred design incorporates cornicing. N4000/sqm is all in all to deliver your choice design. Nothing more, nothing less. POP is cheaper by about 35%. I've done the numbers.

Thumb �
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 9:32pm On Aug 10, 2020
segzy14:

What's the height of your kingpost?

Sorry for d late response 3500mm
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by qdlvy: 9:50pm On Aug 10, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Looking good.

I wasn’t a fan of the gateman house picture in the last render but will be doing it on my next build. I can see the functionality now.

Lots of things are clearer to me after being on the ground and living here. Some of my decisions made about Nigeria while in the USA weren’t the best.

But we move, no time grin

You weren't too kind on those guys and the challenges they were facing. You were going to ship all equipment in and bring innovative designs to your build in IB.
Perfect definition of all talk and no action.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 10:46pm On Aug 10, 2020
this oga is busy posting gates and door up and down here...why not create a thread on your profile and then post the links here...people can always go to your profile to look to see more work ...it is just simple...oya bye...

michlins:
When I came here, someone told me that the people here are all the ogas and right now, I'm seeing it all. Plasterboard and pop don carry discussion for more than five pages. My joy is that I'm learning a whole lot from you people and I'm glad to be here.

Having said that, remember we beautifully secure your home at Testimony Constructions. Call on us for your iron works like doors,gates, handrails, burglaries and so on.

Good morning and have a great week ahead

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:19am On Aug 11, 2020
Dennis3D:

Thanks sir. Well said because people tend to use cheap quotes to lure people into what they know it's not attainable in some cases. Your summary is valid.

Very true.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:33am On Aug 11, 2020
Wyloutproperty:

Ceiling tiles be it metal or composite don't come cheap. See one of our interesting job below

I love this open concept. Steel trusses For The Win.

I’m slowly transitioning from woodwork to metalwork. Much easier to get straight metal than straight lumber grin

Edit: My first project, creating a workbench that’ll also hold a built in table saw.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1510) (1511) (1512) (1513) (1514) (1515) (1516) ... (3702) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: joeNL, 1Teethosin(m), Rany4all(m), SurveyorLAS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.