Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,107 members, 7,887,237 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:57 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1510) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4556076 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1507) (1508) (1509) (1510) (1511) (1512) (1513) ... (3713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aremu01(m): 1:49pm On Aug 09, 2020
Pls can anyone advise

Comparing a 4 bedroom bungalow and a four bedroom duplex, which is most expensive please
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 1:54pm On Aug 09, 2020
Aremu01:
Pls can anyone advise

Comparing a 4 bedroom bungalow and a four bedroom duplex, which is most expensive please

Duplex is more expensive, the cost of decking would go a long way to do a reasonable work on bungalow.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 2:08pm On Aug 09, 2020
Aremu01:
Pls can anyone advise

The answer is in the question. Bungalow and duplex. Definitely Duplex is more expensive.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aremu01(m): 2:11pm On Aug 09, 2020
Thank you @folmus and omanzo02

I think I asked the wrong question.
I was just thinking if the saving from the roofing of the duplex will offset some the cost of the decking.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wyloutproperty: 2:16pm On Aug 09, 2020
Takoro13:

any contact to get this won't be bad

we have been using plaster boards since 2010, they are easier and neater to work with, and have no issues. Check out our thread since 2012

https://www.nairaland.com/1082585/2020-building-construction-office-fitout

We are the Engineer's engineer, We are a team of Materials, Civil and Geotechnical Engineers.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 2:26pm On Aug 09, 2020
OAK group is at your service for architectural drawings and building constructional works.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 2:47pm On Aug 09, 2020
How does the cost compare per sqm with PoP?

Wyloutproperty:

we have been using plaster boards since 2010, they are easier and neater to work with, and have no issues. Check out our thread since 2012

We are the Engineer's engineer, We are a team of Materials, Civil and Geotechnical Engineers.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:51pm On Aug 09, 2020
rotecch77:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K0299uG_GE
The precast is still In used in few part of this world, it’s cheaper a bit to the already made board,
But to make work faster, neat, longer size cut/ shape, very neat work place , already made board is the best.

Yes. These guys and Nigerians are the same blood.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 2:52pm On Aug 09, 2020
false!
Pls clarify what you refer to "property tax"

Oliran:

The tax clearance means he has been cleared off property tax, meaning he has paid property tax.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:00pm On Aug 09, 2020
megacontrol:
How does the cost compare per sqm with PoP?

A board of 1.2m (w) x 3m (h) by 12mm thickness with total coverage of 3.6m2 sells for N6,000

10mm thickness is lesser and there are more expensive ones.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 3:02pm On Aug 09, 2020
megacontrol:
false!
Pls clarify what you refer to "property tax"

Kindly tell us what you know.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:10pm On Aug 09, 2020
sako28:

Welcome back bro,
What the height drop for this plastering board? As you know POP always claim almost 2 coaches of block.

Thanks
Sako

The picture below shows how close it can get to the ceiling noggins.

The 2nd picture show it’s less than 7in drop from the slab so we were able to achieve 3.1m headroom.
You can see the boards didn’t drop beneath the structural beams.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:13pm On Aug 09, 2020
Wyloutproperty:

Good job!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 3:21pm On Aug 09, 2020
This here is correct but you kept saying before that there is no other tax compliance required other than what you called "property tax" (whatever that means)
Taking it from here and to clarify from my personal processing with the Eti-Osa guys and LIRS...

Yes, LIRS will take the opportunity of your pending building approval application to ensure your INCOME TAX is up to date for the last three years up till your year of application. If not, you will be accessed a lumpsum fee to be paid. That is communicated via one of the letters as you rightly mentioned.

And yes, one can challenge that but you really have to have a good basis e.g. proof of your income and tax remittances... this is where folks in diaspora or with tax record from outside lagos get stuck. I have been in that situation and got someone locally to do some running around...we got a reduced assessment, created LIRS account and paid directly into the govt coffers.
By the next time i had to process building permit it was much more easier due to the payment history.

So, the tax clearance from LIRS is to confirm your compliance with statutory income tax requirements either as an individual or as a corporate org.

Oliran:

I am sure the person ticked all what is required to get approval for you. However it is done in stages.
From your description I am guessing it's a bungalow, I'll list the stages below.

Stage 1:
Survey
Architectural drawings

The survey is charted to be sure your land is free of Government acquisition, your drawing is vetted and ensure comply with the required setback,airspaces etc.

Stage 2:
Someone from the district office will go for site visit to be sure of the size of land and confirm you've not started building if it is a proposed drawing.

Stage3:
Calculations are done using your architectural drawings to calculate assessment, the amount is depending on the size of the building (Length,Breadth and Height), the rate also depends on the location, Lekki fee is not same as Ikorodu fee. Each LGA is categorized into Low, Medium and High density.

Stage4:

After payment is done, the receipt for payment, deed of Assignment for the land, Affidavit with stamp duty and your passports with your drawings is used to open a file for you, a registration number will be issued.
The file is then forwarded to LIRS

Last Stage is the tax clearance stage.

I hope this helps. smiley

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 3:26pm On Aug 09, 2020
Thanks man.

Could it have been used to go around (down-across-back up) and cover that internal beam shown in your third and last picture?

n3xt:

The picture below shows how close it can get to the ceiling noggins.

The 2nd picture show it’s less than 7in drop from the slab so we were able to achieve 3.1m headroom.
You can see the boards didn’t drop beneath the structural beams.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:30pm On Aug 09, 2020
megacontrol:
Thanks man.

Could it have been used to go around (down-across-back up) and cover that internal beam shown in your third and last picture?

You can achieve anything you want with the board.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 4:02pm On Aug 09, 2020
n3xt:

A board of 1.2m (w) x 3m (h) by 12mm thickness with total coverage of 3.6m2 sells for N6,000

10mm thickness is lesser and there are more expensive ones.

I am thinking of using plaster board for my ceiling but have the impression that it is far more expensive than POP - But your analysis here is showing that it is quite competitive compared to POP - In summary, is it cheaper than POP? Overseas, they hardly use POP - They use boards mostly.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kingzsoul: 4:08pm On Aug 09, 2020
How much will it cost to lay foundation for this plan please.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kingzsoul: 4:08pm On Aug 09, 2020
Please the plan is for a half plot of land
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 4:33pm On Aug 09, 2020
kingzsoul:
What type of foundation are u constructing. ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:41pm On Aug 09, 2020
kingzsoul:
Please the plan is for a half plot of land

I guess the half plot is 60x60feet.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 09, 2020
kingzsoul:

Plot location and is the soil firm?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 4:44pm On Aug 09, 2020
Focusmind:

I am thinking of using plaster board for my ceiling but have the impression that it is far more expensive than POP - But your analysis here is showing that it is quite competitive compared to POP - In summary, is it cheaper than POP? Overseas, they hardly use POP - They use boards mostly.

It’s not cheaper at all... quite expensive sir @ dominionng can through more light into this
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dubemcapital1(m): 4:57pm On Aug 09, 2020
kingzsoul:

1. Bungalow or duplex ?

2. If duplex attach the structural and mechanical drawing.

3. What is the condition of the land?

4. Do you have stumps or trees in there?

5. Do you have well in there?

6. Must it be or do you prefer a very high foundation?

7. Are there some old blocks parked there?

8. Do you you wish to have a step-up or step-down lounge or dining?

9. Is the proposed site remote from the usual town?

Dubemcapital
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kingzsoul: 4:58pm On Aug 09, 2020
segzy14:

Plot location and is the soil firm?
It's in asero ikorodu
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kingzsoul: 4:58pm On Aug 09, 2020
kingzsoul:

It's in asero ikorodu
The soil is firm
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kingzsoul: 5:00pm On Aug 09, 2020
Aforxzy:
What type of foundation are u constructing. ?
Dont realky know about types but i want a very solid foundation
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:07pm On Aug 09, 2020
kingzsoul:

It's in asero ikorodu

Send the PDF file of the design to my WhatsApp: 2347035596641
I will provide you with an estimate.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:13pm On Aug 09, 2020
Focusmind:

Far, far cheaper.

Let’s compare Apple with Apple now.

Let’s assume we want to cover a room (3.6m x 3.6m) plain design with ceiling rose at the center.

Using POP
POP - N4,000/sqm (material and labour)
3.6 x 3.6 x N4000 = N51,840

That means we need 3.6 boards to cover the room.
Call any supplier online and ask how much is a plasterboard of 3.6m x 3.6m x 12mm

N6,000 x 3.6 boards = N21,600

Buy 1 bag of POP plaster for cornices, screeding and installation - N5,000

Let’s make it pro!
Buy angle, beed and screw etc for the installation. Each is sold at N450
Buy 20 pcs shocked = N9,000

Plasterboard installation is done 400 per sqm. Multiply by 12.96sqm = N5,200

Screeding is done shikini naira pere. N3,000

So pros in the house, what have I missed out? Please kindly add it.

Let’s stop scaring people. Plasterboard is cheaper than N4,000/sqm POP

I just completed over 1,000sqm installation so I know what I’m talking about.

The most interesting part is this can be achieved in one day once your materials are ready.

Edit
_______
I noticed I omitted the cost of casting the cornice and other small POP installation materials. Let’s add N7,000

It’s still not expensive than regular POP.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 5:19pm On Aug 09, 2020
kingzsoul:

Dont realky know about types but i want a very solid foundation

Your foundation type depends on the nature of the subsoil of the area you are building. Get a structural engineer to design the structure. He / she will recommend the appropriate foundation type. This is what will be used to cost your foundation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kingzsoul: 5:32pm On Aug 09, 2020
Dubemcapital1:

1. Bungalow or duplex ?

2. If duplex attach the structural and mechanical drawing.

3. What is the condition of the land?

4. Do you have stumps or trees in there?

5. Do you have well in there?

6. Must it be or do you prefer a very high foundation?

7. Are there some old blocks parked there?

8. Do you you wish to have a step-up or step-down lounge or dining?

9. Is the proposed site remote from the usual town?

Dubemcapital
It's bungalow that I want on it
The soil is firm
Definitely there are trees there which they've cleared.
I want a high foundation
I want a step up dinning

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:36pm On Aug 09, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

We use sheetrock in the USA. The mess that Naija POP makes will never be acceptable there.
For my current build I will not do the traditional POP due to the mess. Unless they can manufacture the panels offsite. It’s crazy messy.

Agreed. Those sheetrocks for both ceilings and wall demarcations makes the work look so simple and clean.
With the analysis of @n3xt, I think I will weigh my options in next build. But I will do plenty due deligence first o.
Oga Egun, please keep us posted on your installations using plasterboards or sheetrocks.

Hajji M.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1507) (1508) (1509) (1510) (1511) (1512) (1513) ... (3713) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Jalofun and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.