Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,231 members, 7,887,624 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 11:37 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3692) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4557058 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3689) (3690) (3691) (3692) (3693) (3694) (3695) ... (3713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FessBarron: 5:45pm On Jun 11
hamtabfawaz:

Okay Let me do this again for New home owners.

POP vs Plasterboard / Polystyrene.

•(Plaster of Paris) POP cement is usually mixed with water & fiber know as = Fillas, to create boards for any design of your choice. While Plasterboard/Polystyrene is already made boards by companies which come in different sizes & thickness with screws, bolt, frame hangers etc , making it faster and easier to install.
Pop takes long to install because of the tedious process, we have to wait for pop boards to dry before fixing or hanging it.

•Pop installation is Tedious & very Messy as agianst Polystyrene Plasterboard which is easy to install & really clean installation

•When there is little damage or error on POP, we can easily cut out a small part & refix, the same is not for Plasterboard/polystyrene because we have to remove almost everything to fix a small damage.

•POP is durable & stronger than Plasterboard/polystyrene

•POP is fire retardant while Polystyrene board is highly flammable 🔥

•Water can cause damage to both (Pop and Plasterboard) So make sure your roof is not leaking or slightly exposed

•Both can serve as Noise & sound absorption Entity, but Pop is better in this regard.

•Pop has a tendency of little cracks compared to Plasterboard/¶olystyrene

•Anyone who understands the settings can install Plasterboard/Polystyrene. While POP can only be installed by skilled professionals, it's dangerous to contract Pop to just anyone. Pop accident can be Fatal if not properly installed ⚠️ . Make Sure your Pop contractor knows his onions.

•If you decide to use Plasterboard/Polystyrene in your home, avoid using it in areas that are highly prone to heat : Kitchen !!! It's inflammable ⚠️ 🔥 ⚠️

Hope this help.

Ps: I usually recommend Pop to my clients.
Feel free to quote and ask me any question regarding this.

Polystyrene and plasterboard are not flammable. Remember you need to screed before painting. The disadvantages of plasterboard are: When thier is roof leakage, the water can easily spread because of the paperback making the whole board in that room to collapse.... Polystyrene is better than plasterboard... But POP is still the best because Pop can act as burglary proof...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FessBarron: 5:55pm On Jun 11
Humbro:

I think your post is misleading by saying plasterboard ceiling is flammable and pop isn't . Plasterboard isn't flammable, polystyrene might be flammable but not gypsum board ceiling. Gypsum board/drywall/plasterboard ceiling can be installed anywhere in the house and it's highly safe . Plasterboard ceiling is never flammable, you try and get the right information before coming up in the open forum to share it. Both pop ceiling/casting ceiling and plasterboard is made with gypsum.and plasterboard ceiling is equally covered with gypsum during screeding. Plasterboard ceiling is non combustible. Polystyrene itself is flammable but not Gypsum Board Ceiling or plasterboard ceiling. Whatever that can affect plasterboard can affect pop . Plasterboard is a better choice than pop in terms of easy and fast Installations, water resistant level, low maintenance and repairs . But pop ceiling has better designs than Plasterboard. Plasterboard ceiling is a better choice than pop ,just that plasterboard is more expensive . And equally there are 2 different types of plasterboard the green board and the white board . The green board is meant for toilets and baths , for its high water resistant but white plasterboard is meant for other places in the home for it lower water resistant but it has better water resistant than pop ceiling.
Sir plasterboard has no better resistance than PoP. POP still has the best water resistance... Last year I got a contract to screed plasterboard at Bayelsa .. It was during raining season because of roof leakage almost all the plasterboard where damaged in less than two months. So Pop is the best
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 7:08pm On Jun 11
Humbro:

I think your post is misleading by saying plasterboard ceiling is flammable and pop isn't . Plasterboard isn't flammable, polystyrene might be flammable but not gypsum board ceiling. Gypsum board/drywall/plasterboard ceiling can be installed anywhere in the house and it's highly safe . Plasterboard ceiling is never flammable, you try and get the right information before coming up in the open forum to share it. Both pop ceiling/casting ceiling and plasterboard is made with gypsum.and plasterboard ceiling is equally covered with gypsum during screeding. Plasterboard ceiling is non combustible. Polystyrene itself is flammable but not Gypsum Board Ceiling or plasterboard ceiling. Whatever that can affect plasterboard can affect pop . Plasterboard is a better choice than pop in terms of easy and fast Installations, water resistant level, low maintenance and repairs . But pop ceiling has better designs than Plasterboard. Plasterboard ceiling is a better choice than pop ,just that plasterboard is more expensive . And equally there are 2 different types of plasterboard the green board and the white board . The green board is meant for toilets and baths , for its high water resistant but white plasterboard is meant for other places in the home for it lower water resistant but it has better water resistant than pop ceiling.

Polystyrene is an inflammable material✓
Plasterboard is not flammable✓

I didn't differenciate the Plasterboard & Polystyrene in my post, hence I have made an edit in that regards.

Correction Noted✓

Thanks for your input.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Humbro: 7:10pm On Jun 11
FessBarron:
Sir plasterboard has no better resistance than PoP. POP still has the best water resistance... Last year I got a contract to screed plasterboard at Bayelsa .. It was during raining season because of roof leakage almost all the plasterboard where damaged in less than two months. So Pop is the best
am talking base on experience not hearsay. If that same water touches pop ceiling, it won't last up to a week everything from fillas will be down.plasterboard has high water resistant than pop ceiling, it can't be disputed . Even to maintain the places water damaged is easy compared to pop ceiling.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 7:12pm On Jun 11
FessBarron:
Polystyrene and plasterboard are not flammable. Remember you need to screed before painting. The disadvantages of plasterboard are: When thier is roof leakage, the water can easily spread because of the paperback making the whole board in that room to collapse.... Polystyrene is better than plasterboard... But POP is still the best because Pop can act as burglary proof...

The bolded is actually flammable Sir.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Humbro: 7:13pm On Jun 11
hamtabfawaz:

Polystyrene is an inflammable material✓
Plasterboard is not flammable✓

I didn't differenciate the Plasterboard & Polystyrene in my post, hence I have made an edit in that regards.

Correction Noted✓

Thanks for your input.

Cheers.

You are welcome brother, one love
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FessBarron: 7:41pm On Jun 11
Humbro:
am talking base on experience not hearsay. If that same water touches pop ceiling, it won't last up to a week everything from fillas will be down.plasterboard has high water resistant than pop ceiling, it can't be disputed . Even to maintain the places water damaged is easy compared to pop ceiling.
The point is a wet pop will last longer than a wet plasterboard because of fillas. Yeah plasterboard is easy to maintain compare to pop
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FessBarron: 7:47pm On Jun 11
hamtabfawaz:

The bolded is actually flammable Sir.
I know it is highly flammable but when screeded with pop cement which is a non combustible material. It's makes it inflammation...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Humbro: 8:03pm On Jun 11
FessBarron:
The point is a wet pop will last longer than a wet plasterboard because of fillas. Yeah plasterboard is easy to maintain compare to pop
this is work I do , and I handle maintenance and repairs on both pop ceiling and plasterboard. I handle both contracts , with years of experience. So I'm not talking out of ignorance or hearsay, fillas can never be compared with plasterboard frames . Have you ever seen pop ceiling fall before? , I have done countless jobs both removing casting pop to replace it with plasterboard and equally doing plasterboard ceiling on where pop ceiling fall because of water . Pop ceiling doesn't need wet at all because it will soften it then crack up but if the water is heavy. Everything will fall , but plasterboard doesn't fall like that as far as the framing is strong . The water will take time to show up on the board and when it shows up, it will be green in colour but if the water is heavy it will display thereby giving you sign where it's been affected. Sometimes it might spread remember there's paper used in wrapping it , so before it falls the water is very very heavy and even casting pop can't withstand such. This is for whiteboard,if it's green board it might take a lot of time for water to show up. so you can't compare pop ceiling and plasterboard ceiling in terms of water resistant level.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by acmebuilding: 8:14pm On Jun 11
This thread has been on the topic of polystyrene being flammable or not for so long.

Most polystyrene manufactured today has a flame retardant, SO IT DOES NOT CATCH ON FIRE . However, it melts on exposure to fire or direct electric current. Screeding, painting helps reduce the direct exposure (demonstration video below)

We need to get the facts correct on what the definition of flammable and polystyrene means. There the 2 major types of polystyrene used in construction Extruded polystyrene (EPS) and Expanded polystyrene (XPS) .

Every material has advantages based on cost, weight, ease of installation, location of use etc. Whether POP board, Gypsum panel board, Fiber cement board or polystyrene board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSbuyEpwcsI?si=LuvgCgwP6dGghX5W

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 9:27pm On Jun 11
Polystyrene is still a polymer made from hydrocarbon source.
Some chloride compounds with fire retardant properties are added to these polymers to retard burning but they would still give out toxic smoke that could harm faster than the flame.
Pop has water of hydration it releases on exposure to fire. The same amount of water added to the powder to thicken and solidify it is still there bounded to the pop, so it helps to slow down spread of flame significantly.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 11:23pm On Jun 11
Godisgreatest1:

Hello Sir,

Please how long does the battery of the Portable Solar Generators last? And can the battery be replaced in the market?

Thank you.

It's lithium battery and lasts longer than AGM specs . Product comes with standard warranty.

For further enquiry & purchase;
Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL LINE::::: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: 081-703-85620
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Thazard(m): 11:23pm On Jun 11
michlins:
double tanks and with 5 by 3 H channels

What if it carries one big one at the top and one big one at the middle?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 1:47am On Jun 12
Thazard:

What if it carries one big one at the top and one big one at the middle?
the price difference is usually insignificant. Usually around ~50k

Reason is that it's same number of materials it will take except for the negligible part that would have carried the second side of the tank at the top
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 8:00am On Jun 12
A semi detached Apartment.
At the approach is a 3bedroom duplex with a pent floor.
At the rear is a 2bedroom flat, 3units. 1 unit at each floor.
All in a plot of land measuring 50ft by 100ft.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MDDarah84(m): 12:51pm On Jun 12
Please what are the likely disadvantages of using 6 inches cement blocks instead of 9 inches for a 3 bedroom bungalow?

Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SaintUlot: 1:50pm On Jun 12
FOR SALE

1. This 12v pure sine wave inverter has the capacity to power 4 freezers @ the same time.

Capacity: 6000w Surge capacity and 2750w Actual capacity

Dc to Ac conversion efficiency : 90 - 95%
Idle consumption : 0.3 amp

It is a Non-grid tied Inverter. It powers Inductive and non-inductive loads seamlessly.

In the test video below, I used it to power all these appliances @ the same time:

👉 One normal freezer
👉 1hp pumping machine
👉charge spare battery
👉 one 32inch TV with Decoder
👉 2 medium sized fans
👉1 big ox fan

Then I switched off only the pumping machine to plug in the 1200w pressing iron.

I have just one left, If you are interested in buying it, call or WhatsApp 08035537864.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rap3bnI07g

2. 12v 30A Smart Battery charger with digital display

It can be used to charge any type of Battery and it does not overcharge batteries, it is a smart battery charger, it adjusts itself to the amount of charge battery needs and stops charging once battery is full.

Uploaded below is the Smart charger picture.
Call or WhatsApp 08035537864 if you need it.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MDDarah84(m): 2:26pm On Jun 12
I need your advice my bosses.

quote author=MDDarah84 post=130436039]Please what are the likely disadvantages of using 6 inches cement blocks instead of 9 inches for a 3 bedroom bungalow?

Thank you [/quote]
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrimeQuay: 5:21pm On Jun 12
What is the cost of the polystyrene board... I hear there are different thicknesses 3mm/5mm

Thanks

hamtabfawaz:

Okay Let me do this again for New home owners.

POP vs Plasterboard / Polystyrene.

•(Plaster of Paris) POP cement is usually mixed with water & fiber know as = Fillas, to create boards for any design of your choice. While Plasterboard/Polystyrene is already made boards by companies which come in different sizes & thickness with screws, bolt, frame hangers etc , making it faster and easier to install.
Pop takes long to install because of the tedious process, we have to wait for pop boards to dry before fixing or hanging it.

•Pop installation is Tedious & very Messy as agianst Polystyrene Plasterboard which is easy to install & really clean installation

•When there is little damage or error on POP, we can easily cut out a small part & refix, the same is not for Plasterboard/polystyrene because we have to remove almost everything to fix a small damage.

•POP is durable & stronger than Plasterboard/polystyrene

•POP is fire retardant while Polystyrene board is highly flammable 🔥

•Water can cause damage to both (Pop and Plasterboard) So make sure your roof is not leaking or slightly exposed

•Both can serve as Noise & sound absorption Entity, but Pop is better in this regard.

•Pop has a tendency of little cracks compared to Plasterboard/¶olystyrene

•Anyone who understands the settings can install Plasterboard/Polystyrene. While POP can only be installed by skilled professionals, it's dangerous to contract Pop to just anyone. Pop accident can be Fatal if not properly installed ⚠️ . Make Sure your Pop contractor knows his onions.

•If you decide to use Polystyrene in your home, avoid using it in areas that are highly prone to heat : Kitchen !!! It's inflammable ⚠️ 🔥 ⚠️

Hope this help.

Ps: I usually recommend Pop to my clients.
Feel free to quote and ask me any question regarding this.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 6:00pm On Jun 12
MDDarah84:
Please what are the likely disadvantages of using 6 inches cement blocks instead of 9 inches for a 3 bedroom bungalow?

Thank you

Cement block?.
There is no disadvantage on using 6 inches over 9 inches even for storey buildings..

It all comes down to the quality, but since you said cement block, I expect it's of good quality.

Goodluck

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 6:29pm On Jun 12
Let’s handle your electrical and solar inverter installations

Let’s talk

08051355133 WhatsApp

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Scalabu: 8:16pm On Jun 12
The recent flooding in Lagos and increase in demolitions of buildings has raised questions about the role of government approvals in the construction of buildings. In this article, we will outline the steps required to construct a building in Lagos and important documents required for your building approvals in Lagos.

Building Approvals in Lagos: Documents, Processes & Steps

Essential Steps to Construct a Building in Lagos

1. Prepare All Required Documents (survey plan, title documents, architectural, structural, mechanical & electrical, soil investigation & report)
2. Submission and Review by LASPPA
3. Approval and Permit Issuance
4. Construction starts
5. Final Inspections and Compliance by LASBCA

[b]1. Prepare All Required Documents: [/b]Before starting the construction process, developers must prepare a comprehensive set of documents, including:

a. Survey plan
b. Title documents
c. Architectural, structural, mechanical, and electrical drawings
d. Soil investigation and report

These documents serve as the foundation for obtaining approval from the Lagos State Physical Planning Permit Authority (LASPPA), where they undergo thorough review.

[b]2. Submission and Review by LASPPA: [/b]The Lagos State Physical Planning Permit Authority (LASPPA) reviews the submitted documents to ensure compliance with state regulations.

Read Full Article here; https://buildingpractice.biz/building-approvals-in-lagos-2024/

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 8:31pm On Jun 12
Big Big things nii mo fee / like

Mega Eatery / Royal Hall still in progress

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hycon(m): 10:40pm On Jun 12
Hi everyone, Please help me access this quote for windows in a 4 rooms bungalow.

About 16 windows including bathroom window sizes.

Thank in advance!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Reeefe(m): 11:26pm On Jun 12
Hello how what is the estimated number of cement bags to plaster 1 partition (10ft length by 13ft high) of internal wall measuring

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Reeefe(m): 11:29pm On Jun 12
rotecch77:
Big Big things nii mo fee / like

Mega Eatery / Royal Hall still in progress

Thus ur suspension for this hall just dey make me smile. Good work boss. We go reach ur level of sability one day
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 8:26am On Jun 13
PrimeQuay:
What is the cost of the polystyrene board... I hear there are different thicknesses 3mm/5mm

Thanks

Polystyrene sheet thickness for ceiling ranges from 20mm , 25mm to 30mm. (Polystyrene can be upto 80mm) but 20, 25 & 30mm is the ideal thickness for ceiling. Cost price ranges base on the thickness : ₦8,500 per sheet above (Size : 4ft width by 10ft / 1.3m by 3m)

While Plasterboard Thickness ranges from 6mm - 12mm.

Good Morning Chief.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Billions123: 9:30am On Jun 13
Hycon:
Hi everyone, Please help me access this quote for windows in a 4 rooms bungalow.

About 16 windows including bathroom window sizes.

Thank in advance!

This person just listed out materials he needs to make a window just to dazzle you.

Just 15th of last month, 21 casement windows with burglary and net was delivered to me for a 5 bedroom bungalow, total cost 1.690M plus delivery and workmanship (hanging it).

List out the sizes/dimensions of your window let me help you ask for quote from same person that did for me.

The dimensions should be in mm like 900mm*1200mm, 1200mm*1500mm, etc

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Deeegbee: 10:17am On Jun 13
Billions123:

This person just listed out materials he needs to make a window just to dazzle you.

Just 15th of last month, 21 casement windows with burglary and net was delivered to me for a 5 bedroom bungalow, total cost 1.690M plus delivery and workmanship (hanging it).

List out the sizes/dimensions of your window let me help you ask for quote from same person that did for me.

The dimensions should be in mm like 900mm*1200mm, 1200mm*1500mm, etc

Nice, the Quote is even without Burglary!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 10:52am On Jun 13
hamtabfawaz:

Polystyrene sheet thickness for ceiling ranges from 20mm , 25mm to 30mm. (Polystyrene can be upto 80mm) but 20, 25 & 30mm is the ideal thickness for ceiling. Cost price ranges base on the thickness : ₦8,500 per sheet above (Size : 4ft width by 10ft / 1.3m by 3m)

While Plasterboard Thickness ranges from 6mm - 12mm.

Good Morning Chief.
Good morning Chief. Please do you install polystyrene parapet or ceiling?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:53am On Jun 13
Reeefe:

Thus ur suspension for this hall just dey make me smile. Good work boss. We go reach ur level of sability one day

Thanks chairman
And amen to the prayer
Actually we be leaner lolz

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SaintUlot: 11:36am On Jun 13
SaintUlot:
FOR SALE

1. This 12v pure sine wave inverter has the capacity to power 4 freezers @ the same time.

Capacity: 6000w Surge capacity and 2750w Actual capacity

Dc to Ac conversion efficiency : 90 - 95%
Idle consumption : 0.3 amp

It is a Non-grid tied Inverter. It powers Inductive and non-inductive loads seamlessly.

In the test video below, I used it to power all these appliances @ the same time:

👉 One normal freezer
👉 1hp pumping machine
👉charge spare battery
👉 one 32inch TV with Decoder
👉 2 medium sized fans
👉1 big ox fan

Then I switched off only the pumping machine to plug in the 1200w pressing iron.

I have just one left, If you are interested in buying it, call or WhatsApp 08035537864.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rap3bnI07g

2. 12v 30A Smart Battery charger with digital display

It can be used to charge any type of Battery and it does not overcharge batteries, it is a smart battery charger, it adjusts itself to the amount of charge battery needs and stops charging once battery is full.

Uploaded below is the Smart charger picture.
Call or WhatsApp 08035537864 if you need it.

12v 30A Smart Battery charger with digital display sold

12v pure sine wave inverter, 6000w surge capacity and 2750w Actual capacity still available for grab, call or WhatsApp me on 08035537864 if you need it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3689) (3690) (3691) (3692) (3693) (3694) (3695) ... (3713) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: AngelicBeing, Thazard(m), gbadexy(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.