Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,753 members, 7,965,838 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 10:40 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (71) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4737242 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (3760) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:59pm On Oct 28, 2015
Here is my finished polystyrene fascia for now

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:03pm On Oct 28, 2015
More picture of the dressed polystyrene fascia

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 28, 2015
erico2k2:

Chei nah a won village u just describe so grin grin

And heres the best thing.

I'm 60 minutes from Murtala Airport (if no Redeem trouble) angry
I'm 45 minutes from Abeokuta and IjebuOde
I'm 20 minutes from Mapo, the heatbeat of Ibadan

But when I'm on my lot you'll not hear a peep of modernism except for maybe a truck delivering material. All you hear are birds chirping and leaves rustling in the winds.

Always reminds me of Cock Crow At Dawn grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:06pm On Oct 28, 2015
More pics

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by smiley001(m): 6:17pm On Oct 28, 2015
abdulwastecx:
More pics

I trust u prof, I know u won't disappoint.

And it comes out good.

Oya let d babas and d ogas dissect it.

Cost analysis, implication, opportunity cost etc...

So bad I'm not an Engineer.

Over to the Ogas.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:34pm On Oct 28, 2015
lastpage:

Right on the button Hajj! kiss kiss
I suspect what we are being given is an "adulterated mixture of Aluminium and cheap metal".
For the records. Aluminium cannot rust... except if adulterated.
Lastpage!

Exactly Boss... we are getting diluted Aluminiums..

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:40pm On Oct 28, 2015
adeekiti:
sir, these Aluminium roofing materials loses its quality gradually but not at once..we have bad weather conditions in naija and these materials are exposed to them directly, they will always be losing their strength gradually..oyinbo no build wetin man go use for a long long time without buying another, when considering materials we should have in mind that it can mess up anytime even before the time given.

No Sir, Oga AdeEkiti. The weather in Oyinbo land is worse than what we will ever have in Nigeria. We only have rain.. that is all.
Snow is 100% worse that rain... it's nothing but pure salt; and it causes more damage. if we ever get snow in Nigeria, the whole country will be perished because we are not equipped for it both in materials and labor. If building materials serve 10 years in Oyinbo land it should be doubled in Nigeria.
The problem is that we are getting bad and inferior materials in Nigeria, especially those imported from China... (there are some materials that is specially made for Nigeria, requested by our people so they don't have to pay much and resell it for heavy profit.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:42pm On Oct 28, 2015
spyder880:

I am currently roofing the 8 flats in Enugu with Metcoppo, I have many many bad experiences while roofing with Metcoppo , they leak too often!

We now found out that the corrugations machines could be faulty, (in that particular company) it was stamping too hard as to puncture the sheets . I have taken the job somewhere else and now have a good job. I will post the pictures later when I get to site later today.

So the durability will depend on where you get your Metcoppo.
Then getting it from 1st Aluminium or Tower Aluminium like Oga FastShipping, should put mind to rest. Thank you Spyder.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 6:45pm On Oct 28, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I have the hills with a view and I paying for it by needing up to [b]300 tons of laterite [/b]angry but man, standing on the top of the foundation you can hardly hold up a the building plan because it gets blown out of your hand by wind - schweeeet.

And heres the best thing.

I'm 60 minutes from Murtala Airport (if no Redeem trouble) angry
I'm 45 minutes from Abeokuta and IjebuOde
I'm 20 minutes from Mapo, the heatbeat of Ibadan

But when I'm on my lot you'll not hear a peep of modernism except for maybe a truck delivering material. All you hear are birds chirping and leaves rustling in the winds.

Always reminds me of Cock Crow At Dawn grin

Why not just "dig' part of the hillside to fill up wherever you needed 300 Tons to fill? undecided undecided
Being a "House on a Hill", why would you still need a very high foundation that requires 300 Tons of Laterite to fill?

I pity those of us living on flat/low land! Our 'Laterite Budget' should be enough to build a Mansion!
grin grin

Hmmm....Dearis God o!

So, you are not less than 120KM from the MM Airport!..assuming there is not there is no traffic at all! shocked shocked

if we factor bad roads, road risk/security issues, religionists along the route, e.t.c, into your commute...........
Hmm, .....very interesting location l dare say!

BTW: Ibadan is a naturally very Hilly/Upland landmass and l dare say that looking for that sort of features in Lagos will mean that one would have to wait until there is an "Earthquake-Tsunami", which may probably uproot some of those Hills, down to Lagos! grin grin grin

I dey envy you no be small, Walahi! wink wink

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 6:48pm On Oct 28, 2015
abdulwastecx:
More pics

Nice!

Well done Bro!

More power to your elbow.

Abdul, what is the name of the wood l highligted?
That circled part is used to tie down the wooden beam (I think?)
Is it Rubber, wire rope or 10mm iron? What is it please.
Another question: How do you generally tie down a roof in a multi-storey dwell? What is your prefered method?

It cant be oja'agba, right? grin grin

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:51pm On Oct 28, 2015
I have done a simple cost comparison between this polystyrene fascia and in situ concrete fascia for building of this magnitude.
Here is my cost breakdown for a very good concrete fascia (summary)
Formwork:
Workmanship = N150k
Wood (2x4, 1x12, pattern wood, 1x6, 1x3) = N150k
Plywood (1/4 plywood) = N54k
Bamboo(@N200/pole) = N30k
Nail and other miscellaneous =N20ki

Total = 404k ( very optimal estimate e)

Reinforcement : Workmanship = N150k
Reinforcing bars (y12, y10, binding wires) =N150k
Total =N300k ( tidy estimate)

Concrete work :
Cement (using mix ratio of 1:2:4) = 50bags (75k)
Sand = N30k
Gravel = N45k
Workmanship for concrete work = N50k
Total = N200k

Allowance of N150k for plastering and striking of Formwork.
Total = 1.054m.

Comparing that 6840k
That is like 35% cheaper than in situ cast concrete fascia
The installation time is much faster
The weight is much lighter and design much more flexible

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:52pm On Oct 28, 2015
lastpage:

Nice!

Well done Bro!

Lastpage!

Thanks boss
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 7:05pm On Oct 28, 2015
erico2k2:

I think that's very rude for yoy to come on his post n disrespect him in such fashion all he did was trying to advice us.

Gerrout my friend, you dont need to cry more than the bereaved!

Those two have already called it quits on the matter and here you are trying to inflame matters.. or did he ask you to come to his defense? angry angry

There is a way to "intervene" in a matter without "brazenly" taking sides ...or causing more conflagration.

Relax O. undecided

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 7:06pm On Oct 28, 2015
abdulwastecx:

Thanks boss

type of wood Boss! My other questions too, please

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:08pm On Oct 28, 2015
lastpage:

Nice!

Well done Bro!

Another question: How do you generally tie down a roof in a multi-storey dwell? What is your prefered method?

Lastpage!

Tie beam.
My method of connecting head course/head beam to the tie beam is using a connector made from flessible cable of say 6mm diameter.
This rod is embedded in the concrete and allowed to project out to tie the building to the roof.

This tie rode is spaced at 1.2m center to center but due to unsymmetrical arrangement of tie beams and rafter some may fall of line
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 8:29pm On Oct 28, 2015
Well said....

mufutau55:

No Sir, Oga AdeEkiti. The weather in Oyinbo land is worse than what we will ever have in Nigeria. We only have rain.. that is all.
Snow is 100% worse that rain... it's nothing but pure salt; and it causes more damage. if we ever get snow in Nigeria, the whole country will be perished because we are not equipped for it both in materials and labor. If building materials serve 10 years in Oyinbo land it should be doubled in Nigeria.
The problem is that we are getting bad and inferior materials in Nigeria, especially those imported from China... (there are some materials that is specially made for Nigeria, requested by our people so they don't have to paid much).

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:34pm On Oct 28, 2015
lastpage:

Nice!

Well done Bro!

Lastpage!

Roof connector vary and depend on the type of roof.
For steel roof such connector will have to be design by a structural engineer but for a timber truss the method will be different.

My definition of high rise building may be different from yours sir. High rise building are building with more than ten floors and we don't actually build that high.

For a building of 3 to 6 floors, wind load will be more and a parapet or concrete fascia is needed to reduce wind speed and uplifting of the roof. The same connector can also be used.

The connected is made from mild steel and can be of 6mm. The rod is tied to the top reinforcement of the head beam reinforcement. I think that will do the job sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 8:38pm On Oct 28, 2015
lastpage:

Gerrout my friend, you dont need to cry more than the bereaved!

Those two have already called it quits on the matter and here you are trying to inflame matters.. or did he ask you to come to his defense? angry angry

There is a way to "intervene" in a matter without "brazenly" taking sides ...or causing more conflagration.

Relax O. undecided

Lastpage!
An you have to paste your silliness for the world to see, was I addressing you?I quoted someone else and they have responded I did not in anyway use offensive wordings, I only just said I think it was rude to use insultive words and the Dude got understood I was not insulting him, but You No, you have to quote a full text on the issue..Im aware of this whole issue from day one check the original post if U do not see me there.Its so amazing how people voice their reasonings on here.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:40pm On Oct 28, 2015
[quote author=lastpage post=39457853]

type of wood Boss! My other questions too, please

Lastpage!

[/quote

Some hard wood from onto state, it is a combination of mahogany, Ebelebe, iroko, etc
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 28, 2015
I just hope Nigeria will invest more in productions. Learnt sir and thank u sir
mufutau55:

The problem is that we are getting bad and inferior materials in Nigeria, especially those imported from China... (there are some materials that is specially made for Nigeria, requested by our people so they don't have to paid much).

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 28, 2015
adeekiti:
I just hope Nigeria will invest more in productions. Learnt sir and thank u sir

I like that you're open minded Sir.

We're not an enemy trying to occupy your land grin

Unless of course you have beautiful engineers on board then all bets are off grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 28, 2015
mufutau55:

The problem is that we are getting bad and inferior materials in Nigeria, especially those imported from China... (there are some materials that is specially made for Nigeria, requested by our people so they don't have to pay much and resell it for heavy profit.

Hajji M.

And then add hurricanes, tornados, acid rain, etc
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:57pm On Oct 28, 2015
EgunMogaji:

FOrest fire nko wink

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 28, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I like that you're open minded Sir.

We're not an enemy trying to occupy your land grin

Unless of course you have beautiful engineers on board then all bets are off grin
grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:03pm On Oct 28, 2015
EgunMogaji:

thank God naija is s safer place.. And we don't have huricane Saka

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 28, 2015
I've emailed my arch but I have a pressing question.

Are these sizes decent for a septic tank?

Two short sides are 12ft and 9.6ft, depth is 10ft, and the long side is 16ft. The soakaway is 6ft by 6ft and 6 ft deep.

Thanks.

Curiously, how many tons of dirt can be dug out from this and is N20k a good price for the digging?

Muchas gracias.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:40am On Oct 29, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I didn't even get to that. Thanks.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:02am On Oct 29, 2015
mufutau55:

I didn't even get to that. Thanks.

Hajji M.

You're welcome Sir and for us on the b(w)est coast the windows also gets to rattle and shake on in a while in earthquakes grin

Ain't life just grand for windows cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:03am On Oct 29, 2015
EgunMogaji:

You're welcome Sir and for us on the b(w)est coast the windows also gets to rattle and shake on in a while in earthquakes grin
Ain't life just grand for windows cheesy

Poor windows... smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:13am On Oct 29, 2015
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:18am On Oct 29, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Especially this one in Saudi
https://video-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xap1/v/t43.1792-2/12005289_843476759101576_1345295308_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjE1MDAsInJsYSI6MTAyNCwidmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJoZCJ9&rl=1500&vabr=576&oh=e9f2d63bc9064ca0ca0f14cd8af56385&oe=5631878E
The original "Iku To Ba Fe Pani Toba Sini Ni Fila, Oye Kama Dupe" Allah Akbar.

That is one lucky dude... that would have cut him in half... Lucky indeed.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 3:04pm On Oct 29, 2015
do we have any borehole expert here please?

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (3760) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: gbadexy(m), psychologist(m), Buharidgeneral and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.