Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,779 members, 7,875,933 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 03:16 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (703) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4529696 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) (705) (706) ... (3704) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jun 09, 2017
InvertedHammer:

/
I am not in Nigeria.
I do not have the luxury to be running around to look for stuff and when I did delegate, the long stories no be here.
I like gadgets. I love equipment. I don't like the crude way Nigerians produce stuff.
My hues and cries are always about people not getting the value of what they pay for in Nigeria because we love shortcuts.
There are certain things that could be sourced locally like steel for trailers and iron works for the site. But there are certain
things I will not leave to Nigerian workers.

This project is not primarily profit-driven. It has to be shown that we can operate with standard. That's all. Enough of the criticism.

NB: You mentioned that with Superior CNC multiple Axis machines one can make better ones in less than a week. Did you leave any contact
numbers? No! You expect potential customers to pry it out of you . Everyone does not have luxury of that time. I have purchased a lot of things
through contacts on NL. Some people advertise without details. I saw a very informative video about some steel work productions in Aba. Guess what? When the 15 minutes video was over, there was no mention of address or contact information. Go figure!
\

I share your pain.

Initially, I wanted to just park a container at Home Depot and load it up with household materials, solely because no wahala stuff. What I will buy is what I'll get, quality is assured, etc

I later gave up on that idea due to some online movements about BuyNigeriaToGrowTheNaira and other stuff.

I will not question the intention of anyone that choose to import, our brothers at home do not understand good business ethics as much as they should.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 6:13pm On Jun 09, 2017
InvertedHammer:

/
I am not in Nigeria.
I do not have the luxury to be running around to look for stuff and when I did delegate, the long stories no be here.
I like gadgets. I love equipment. I don't like the crude way Nigerians produce stuff.
My hues and cries are always about people not getting the value of what they pay for in Nigeria because we love shortcuts.
There are certain things that could be sourced locally like steel for trailers and iron works for the site. But there are certain
things I will not leave to Nigerian workers.

This project is not primarily profit-driven. It has to be shown that we can operate with standard. That's all. Enough of the criticism.

NB: You mentioned that with Superior CNC multiple Axis machines one can make better ones in less than a week. Did you leave any contact
numbers? No! You expect potential customers to pry it out of you . Everyone does not have luxury of that time. I have purchased a lot of things
through contacts on NL. Some people advertise without details. I saw a very informative video about some steel work productions in Aba. Guess what? When the 15 minutes video was over, there was no mention of address or contact information. Go figure!
\
My brother I fill your pain, I didn't say am making them now. I used to, that was 25 years plus ago before I left Naija. Am here since then in the same field in different level, about to retired after many years of service. I am just imagining why those little things are probably not making them in Naija anymore. Mind you not every Naija product that are not in good quality, it's just unfortunate our SON government agency went sleeping for many decades that why. I really appreciate your patriotism for trying to make difference in your own capacity by doing the right thing not for the money, many people of nowadays in that country didn't care about anything except money. They don't even want to work for it, but get rich overnight. I wish many of us start thinking in your direction to turn things around for the betterment of our people.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 09, 2017
Further to my questions to Hajj, these are what I found locally to me.

The first bracket is N100, second is N150 and third is N200, which one to get?

Also is this a good brand of barbed wire? I'm after low to no rust. This was offered at N12,500.

What says yee?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 7:22pm On Jun 09, 2017
kopell:
My brother I fill your pain, I didn't say am making them now. I used to, that was 25 years plus ago before I left Naija. Am here since then in the same field in different level, about to retired after many years of service. I am just imagining why those little things are probably not making them in Naija anymore. Mind you not every Naija product that are not in good quality, it's just unfortunate our SON government agency went sleeping for many decades that why. I really appreciate your patriotism for trying to make difference in your own capacity by doing the right thing not for the money, many people of nowadays in that country didn't care about anything except money. They don't even want to work for it, but get rich overnight. I wish many of us start thinking in your direction to turn things around for the betterment of our people.

The machines we use in Nigeria are usually imported. If I can get something of similar quality in Nigeria, I would. The same company makes flat pallets too. But I met a guy here on NL who made samples that meet the standard we need. We gave him the contract to mass produce the pallets. For the trailers, we procured the parts and will have them assembled in Nigeria with fingers crossed. I bought a forklift here because it is easier but not necessarily cheaper for me. Support Nigeria is good, but the producers and manufacturers need to up their game. I have always argued that it takes the same amount of material and logistics to produce good and bad products. Sometimes it is lack of patience, ideas or combination of both. Do we have the answers? No. But we shall strive to be the best we can be.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:46pm On Jun 09, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Further to my questions to Hajj, these are what I found locally to me.
The first bracket is N100, second is N150 and third is N200, which one to get?
Also is this a good brand of barbed wire? I'm after low to no rust. This was offered at N12,500.
What says yee?

I am not sure which to buy... but go for the strongest out of them and non-rust. mine was like a strong aluminium.
The wires you need should be "American Barbed Wire" but don't let the name fool you they are made in Nigeria.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:18am On Jun 10, 2017
InvertedHammer:

We are starting production in Enugu and Abuja this October once the rainy season subsidizes. The machines have successfully landed in Nigeria, cleared and being installed.

Our team is still working on how to make blocks similar to what is obtainable in Home Depot but close to the current price in Nigeria (all logistics factored in).

I will keep the forum informed.
This machine is available in Nigeria chai bros...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 12:37am On Jun 10, 2017
Chekitaut:
This machine is available in Nigeria chai bros...

I don't get your point. Did I say that it is not? But I don't know where. Why buy from a middleman when I can get them from the source? See! Now you are thinking. How does the company get tax write-offs by sending the money to Nigeria? Will IRS believe it? Just say that you don't know.

Moreover, I don't have the convenience of moving around easily in Nigeria to know what is where. A city like Ibadan has a lot of stuff. I have never been there and there is no way in hell I am going there to buy anything. And no way in double hell am sending money to anyone to buy for me in this Buhari's economy. Once bitten, twice shy. Only a few will understand. Here is one stop shopping. I pick what I want, pay and expect same to be delivered. Before I even get to the place, I know the price and tax included. Affordability becomes a yes or no. I hate haggling.

I am sure that a lot of my machines are available in Nigeria. If I cannot find it online, I save myself the headache. Just like vehicles, there are many for sale in Nigeria but the convenience of buying and shipping from here is awesome and the company gets write-offs from verifiable purchase of assets. A tax attorney advised the company and it followed the advice per asset purchase. Just assume that there are some details of the business that you have no business knowing.

There you have it.
\

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DrGoodmanFather: 2:44am On Jun 10, 2017
InvertedHammer:

I don't get your point. Did I say that it is not? But I don't know where. Why buy from a middleman when I can get them from the source? See! Now you are thinking. How does the company get tax write-offs by sending the money to Nigeria? Will IRS believe it? Just say that you don't know.

Moreover, I don't have the convenience of moving around easily in Nigeria to know what is where. A city like Ibadan has a lot of stuff. I have never been there and there is no way in hell I am going there to buy anything. And no way in double hell am sending money to anyone to buy for me in this Buhari's economy. Once bitten, twice shy. Only a few will understand. Here is one stop shopping. I pick what I want, pay and expect same to be delivered. Before I even get to the place, I know the price and tax included. Affordability becomes a yes or no. I hate haggling.

I am sure that a lot of my machines are available in Nigeria. If I cannot find it online, I save myself the headache. Just like vehicles, there are many for sale in Nigeria but the convenience of buying and shipping from here is awesome and the company gets write-offs from verifiable purchase of assets. A tax attorney advised the company and it followed the advice per asset purchase. Just assume that there are some details of the business that you have no business knowing.

There you have it.
\

You can get Tax written off by IRS for oversea activities. Most of my workers are in Nigeria and they support both Nigeria and American products and services.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DrGoodmanFather: 2:47am On Jun 10, 2017
johnson232:

Didn't they lay polythene before fixing the interlocking tiles?

You see your useless recommendation. You better go back to school. ode.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 4:15am On Jun 10, 2017
DrGoodmanFather:

You can get Tax written off by IRS for oversea activities. Most of my workers are in Nigeria and they support both Nigeria and American products and services.

Read the comment one more time.
The subsidiary companies in Nigeria do get tax write-offs and rate of asset depreciations will be credited annually. This is the third one
we are starting in Nigeria. The other two are transportation and medical equipment/logistics. We never had any issues. So I don't get where your comment is coming from. We got the machines directly from the company without paying the mark-ups of middlemen. There are many ways of doing things. We chose the best way for "us" following the advice of an attorney. If at any time anyone wants to venture into any business, they can get their machines or equipment from wherever is most convenient for them. Chekitaut sounded off as if I said that we are the only ones with such machines in Nigeria. Checkitaut can buy his Mack dump trucks in Lagos or import them from Texas--it is his prerogative. I shouldn't be in the position to question his business decisions or to point out that there are Mack trucks in Nigeria for sale.

The ones I take serious are the ones reaching out to see what logistic support they can provide. Can you supply sand, cement, steel, stone dust? Sitting here talking about machines already procured is a colossal waste of time. Call up your architects. Get your designs ready. They can supply all the blocks/concrete electric poles/interlocking stones/veneer/mosaic stones you will need when production starts in October.

Take care.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DrGoodmanFather: 4:44am On Jun 10, 2017
InvertedHammer:

Read the comment one more time.
The subsidiary companies in Nigeria do get tax write-offs and rate of asset depreciations will be credited annually. This is the third one
we are starting in Nigeria. The other two are transportation and medical equipment/logistics. We never had any issues. So I don't get where your comment is coming from. We got the machines directly from the company without paying the mark-ups of middlemen. There are many ways of doing things. We chose the best way for "us" following the advice of an attorney. If at any time anyone wants to venture into any business, they can get their machines or equipment from wherever is most convenient for them. Chekitaut sounded off as if I said that we are the only ones with such machines in Nigeria. Checkitaut can buy his Mack dump trucks in Lagos or import them from Texas--it is his prerogative. I shouldn't be in the position to question his business decisions or to point out that there are Mack trucks in Nigeria for sale.

I misconstrued your statement. I am not arguing with you but stating what I think you were not aware of (Which is about tax only). I do not have anything to do with Chekitaut conversation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 4:56am On Jun 10, 2017
DrGoodmanFather:

I misconstrued your statement. I am not arguing with you but stating what I think you were not aware of (Which is about tax only). I do not have anything to do with Chekitaut conversation.

It is ok.

We have been audited many times by IRS before. So we followed the advice of the attorney that handled the cases.

That's all.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 6:38am On Jun 10, 2017
DrGoodmanFather:

Lol....i am sure u didn't read my comment properly, before rushing to comment....TROLL

U quote persons with this moniker & like the comment with your alternate account....at your age...pls get a life... undecided

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PropertyAsset: 7:21am On Jun 10, 2017
abouzaid:
can one build a four bedroom all en suite bungalow with two and half million or less? I'm doing a cost analysis and it's looking possible from my analysis. what's your views on that? i would give my analysis later after hearing some of your views. my labourers would be sourced exclusively from the north where labour is extremely cheap and the house would not include any fancy works. details later but lets hear your views first.

This depends on your location. And you may want to review that budget due to the current inflation caused by the recent economic recession experienced in our dear nation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 9:05am On Jun 10, 2017
InvertedHammer:

It is ok.

We have been audited many times by IRS before. So we followed the advice of the attorney that handled the cases.

That's all.
Men I like your style, you're well equipped with information. There are many loophole in the tax code here, very few take advantage of. What he did is no different from with what TRUMP did. One need to be knowledgeable with advice of professionals in those line to take full advantage on the system legal. I don't know much about Nigeria tax code anymore. I hope some of these are in our tax code too, all these make business strive to create opportunity for our wasteful young brans roaming around doing noting.With asset depreciations credited annually to companies here, is what create huge market of commercial industrial used machinery. Many companies take advantaged of this code to keep there business are float. All these are in line with good business practice by law. I beg make I rest small with all this long grammar self. Most of these elite knows better, the are just unpatriotic people calling them self leaders.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 9:58am On Jun 10, 2017
kopell:
Men I like your style, you're well equipped with information. There are many loophole in the tax code here, very few take advantage of. What he did is no different from with what TRUMP did. One need to be knowledgeable with advice of professionals in those line to take full advantage on the system legal. I don't know much about Nigeria tax code anymore. I hope some of these are in our tax code too, all these make business strive to create opportunity for our wasteful young brans roaming around doing noting.With asset depreciations credited annually to companies here, is what create huge market of commercial industrial used machinery. Many companies take advantaged of this code to keep there business are float. All these are in line with good business practice by law. I beg make I rest small with all this long grammar self. Most of these elite knows better, the are just unpatriotic people calling them self leaders.

Sometimes it is not everything that one has to explain. Some people will never get it. So why bother?
A businessman in Nigeria loses $21k equivalent in the stock market. He bites the dust. If I lose the same amount, I will deduct $3k every year for the next 7 years when I file for taxes. Try explaining that to some people who live on hearsay. It is a different system because it seems that only civil servants pay standardized fair amount of taxes in Nigeria.
Every donation, offering, tithe or most gifts given will yield tax credit at the end of the year. The companies funding different projects in Africa are making killings in tax credits.
\

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:18am On Jun 10, 2017
InvertedHammer:

Sometimes it is not everything that one has to explain. Some people will never get it. So why bother?
A businessman in Nigeria loses $21k equivalent in the stock market. He bites the dust. If I lose the same amount, I will deduct $3k every year for the next 7 years when I file for taxes. Try explaining that to some people who live on hearsay. It is a different system because it seems that only civil servants pay standardized fair amount of taxes in Nigeria.
Every donation, offering, tithe or most gifts given will yield tax credit at the end of the year. The companies funding different projects in Africa are making killings in tax credits.
\

For shizzles.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 10:33am On Jun 10, 2017
InvertedHammer:

The machines we use in Nigeria are usually imported. If I can get something of similar quality in Nigeria, I would. The same company makes flat pallets too. But I met a guy here on NL who made samples that meet the standard we need. We gave him the contract to mass produce the pallets. For the trailers, we procured the parts and will have them assembled in Nigeria with fingers crossed. I bought a forklift here because it is easier but not necessarily cheaper for me. Support Nigeria is good, but the producers and manufacturers need to up their game. I have always argued that it takes the same amount of material and logistics to produce good and bad products. Sometimes it is lack of patience, ideas or combination of both. Do we have the answers? No. But we shall strive to be the best we can be.

It is actually out of basic GREED!
Just GREED and nothing more.

Like you said, it takes the same amount of material, logistics (time/patience, movement), but the resource imput ratio to the selling Price makes the difference!
Our people want to reduce the resource-inputs,even to dangerous levels... while upping the selling price!
That is the basic definition of GREED.

Without even telling them, the average Nigerian will want to 'buy-Nigeria' first and foremost, as long as the quality is comparable.
Check out what happens in the Electric Cable industry (Kabel metal, Niger cable, e.t.c).

Well, until GREED took over, once again.
Now, you have to look twice, to buy Coolman or any other Nigerian Cable undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 10:42am On Jun 10, 2017
DrGoodmanFather:

When will you these useless #mow-ron# learn to conduct yourself properly on this thread?
You claim to be a medical Doctor but everyone here knows that Docs are not this uncouth or conduct themselves the way you do over here.
The many years medical training wont just allow anyone to descend to this low level of rascality.

Get the F-out of here, SMF!

johnson232:

Lol....i am sure u didn't read my comment properly, before rushing to comment....TROLL

U quote persons with this moniker & like the comment with your alternate account....at your age...pls get a life... undecided

That is exactly what he goes about doing, using his alternate monickers to insult others.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 11:32am On Jun 10, 2017
hmmm
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 2:17pm On Jun 10, 2017
EgunMogaji:

For shizzles.
Not to much sha.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DrGoodmanFather: 2:19pm On Jun 10, 2017
Daboomb:

When will you these useless #mow-ron# learn to conduct yourself properly on this thread?
You claim to be a medical Doctor but everyone here knows that Docs are not this uncouth or conduct themselves the way you do over here.
The many years medical training wont just allow anyone to descend to this low level of rascality.

Get the F-out of here, SMF!

That is exactly what he goes about doing, using his alternate monickers to insult others.

Daboom, I did not troll you. I trolled Johnson232 because there is a vendetta between us. Look at the moniker, this is not the DrGoodman you have beef with. I am his father. I gave birth to him because I did not pull out.

Don't let me add you to my lists. This is how Goodman and johnson419 started putting mouth into what did not concern them.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DrGoodmanFather: 2:25pm On Jun 10, 2017
johnson232:

You this betnaija agent. You are trying to form Know-how on property forum before you start fleecing people. Don't be like Brabus your hero.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 3:21pm On Jun 10, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Petroleum as in

embarassed
Gas for cars
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 3:38pm On Jun 10, 2017
EgunMogaji:

For shizzles.

I think the thread was derailed.

I haven't seen this before in Nigeria. I think it adds to the structural integrity of the house especially since California is prone to earthquake. They insert rods about 4ft apart in hollow blocks while building side walls.

Check this out:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by toxxnoni(m): 4:01pm On Jun 10, 2017
Dear nairalander
We are happy to inform you that we are currently having a special offer for our potential clients.
We are running a geophysical survey for as low as 20,000 naira.

The water borehole drilling,
Soil Test
Pile Foundation are also affordable
Kindly contact us
Call or whatsapp 08136569906
Email astrogeotech@yahoo.com

Note: state and location matters
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Caustics: 4:32pm On Jun 10, 2017
kopell:
Why importing this machine, is it cheaper to import them now. This machines can be easily constructed in Naija which I believe may not cost half of the price of imported one. When I was in Nigeria 25 years ago I used to make complicated Indusral machines then just ordinary block making machine, even with little less technology then. Today with superior CNC multiple Axis machines one can make better ones in less then a week. What is going on out there now?
good day sir. I would like to ask you a few questions based on a project i am working on. Is it possible to contact you through email?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Caustics: 4:34pm On Jun 10, 2017
InvertedHammer:

I haven't seen this before in Nigeria. I think it adds to the structural integrity of the house especially since California is prone to earthquake. They insert rods about 4ft apart in hollow blocks while building side walls.

Check this out:
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jun 10, 2017
InvertedHammer:

Check this out:

I've seen it with some of the guys on here but it's not common.

I'll share some works with you of another builder on here.

His userid is RichYoungRuler

https://www.nairaland.com/richyoungruler

I've seen him not shy away from technology and may be a good resource on some of your endeavor.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jun 10, 2017
toxxnoni:
Dear nairalander
We are happy to inform you that we are currently having a special offer for our potential clients.
We are running a geophysical survey for as low as 20,000 naira.

The water borehole drilling,
Soil Test
Pile Foundation are also affordable
Kindly contact us
Call or whatsapp 08136569906
Email astrogeotech@yahoo.com

Note: state and location matters

My survey was that amount and not on sale undecided

I need to go to 80m in Elebu, Ibadan. How much per feet is your sale?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 5:11pm On Jun 10, 2017
Caustics:
good day sir. I would like to ask you a few questions based on a project i am working on. Is it possible to contact you through email?
Post some of your questions here, just don't go to details if it a new project idea. I just don't like giving my email out, for security reasons. We have many Engineers that can also help in that line on these forums.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 5:18pm On Jun 10, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I've seen it with some of the guys on here but it's not common.

I'll share some works with you of another builder on here.

His userid is RichYoungRuler

https://www.nairaland.com/richyoungruler

I've seen him not shy away from technology and may be a good resource on some of your endeavor.

I just checked out some of Richyoungruler's works. The guy is serious -- my kind of dude. No holds barred.

Egun: You are like NL construction personnel wikipedia.

/

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) (705) (706) ... (3704) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.