Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,639 members, 7,924,131 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 12:17 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (964) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4646821 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (961) (962) (963) (964) (965) (966) (967) ... (3735) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dejavus: 8:39pm On May 01, 2018
AngelicBeing:
l disagree with you, l am a DIY advocate, I will construct a 25 story building with bamboo, do conduit wiring myself, I will do the tiles, plumbing, screeding, landscaping myself, I will do the roofing myself, we have YouTube video online to guide me, l will not pay any artisan on my site to do any work, I want to save money and I don't want any artisan to eat my money, after completing the house, l will invite Daboomb, spyder880, Abdulwastecx and every member of property section on Nairaland to come and celebrate with me for been the first man on earth to construct a 25 story floor via bamboo technology and without inviting any artisan to my site tongue

Ermmm I think you got what the original poster said wrong.

He's merely pointing out that if you got some "paid" help in the actual act or carrying out the work done then he's suggesting its not entirely DIY except that definition fits the description of Doing it yourself in the Nigerian Context.

But what Nigerians general mean when they are talking about DIY is buying the materials themselves and employing some local people giving them instructions of what you need them to do rather than calling them to quote and carry out a job for you.

My 2 pence.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 8:43pm On May 01, 2018
Mohr:
Can you please share your experience with me for im about to undertake same. Thanks
Educate yourself about building
Ask people who have build about the price and numbers of bricklayers and and servers if you are not contracting it.
materials be will to go to different places to check out prices
Bricklayers will steal from you --cements
Carpenters will steal nails from you
Iron bender will steal iron from you-- I have a project going on now from Germany floor before parapet
Contractor told 80 12mm iron and Iron bender told me 85
I told both contractor and iron bender i only have 60 12mm iron they end up using 62 12mm

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:46pm On May 01, 2018
earthrealm:

its the mind set in nigeria,,, very appalling, i change my engine oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid myself, and all my pals look at me in awe, as if am some astronaut, while others feel am stingy..and dont want to let a mechanic chop my money grin grin grin

but overseas, you have more people willing to do such and even more on their cars, and these are people who are ar richer than the avg nigerian..their minimum wage when converted to naira..is what an avg worker would be envious of etc.

the so called mechanic, who they call professional has no clue about what he is doing..even elizade/kojo motors isnt left out..i can thump my vchest that i hv saved several hundreds of thousands of naira from diy on my car/home..
truth be told..we have very few professionals worth their salt in this country...many are charlatans masquerading as professionals

Now we have a proper DIY advocate and individual who actually gets involved in the act regarding his automobile.

Nonetheless these are not actually considered DIY acts except you are speaking on a broad term. And I would want to include that you probably changed your oil filter as well meaning you have a tool box.
Nice one.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 8:49pm On May 01, 2018
bixton:

Now we have a proper DIY advocate and individual who actually gets involved in the act regarding his automobile.

Nonetheless these are not actually considered DIY acts except you are speaking on a broad term. And I would want to include that you probably changed your oil filter as well meaning you have a tool box.
Nice one.

I have got people to do lot of work for me
Lot of time I am tell this people how to do it or the best way to do it
DIY is if you are not giving it to contractor and playing a role in getting the job done

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 9:06pm On May 01, 2018
mank1234:
I'll key in to this bamboo revolution. Instead of using rods for my pillar, I'll use bamboo. I'll only use rods for the footing and the starter bar.

Cost savings on my mine
caveat emptor.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:11pm On May 01, 2018
GoodFaith:

I have got people to do lot of work for me
Lot of time I am tell this people how to do it or the best way to do it
DIY is if you are not giving it to contractor and playing a role in getting the job done

That is not the definition of DIY. Google is still existing.
The DIY clips tells one how to do the job himself/herself and not rather teaching the individual how to tell another to get the job done.
DIY means getting physically involved with the hands and not only with the brain.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 9:34pm On May 01, 2018
bixton:

That is not the definition of DIY. Google is still existing.
The DIY clips tells one how to do the job himself/herself and not rather teaching the individual how to tell another to get the job done.
DIY means getting physically involved with the hands and not only with the brain.

Before DIY is over 200 year old before DIY clips or google
and there was community, community use to help people build their house
I have friend at work that their family help they build their houses, my friend was part of the builders
I full understand
What DIY "do it yourself "
I have used my hand and brain
I had two roofing jobs about two weeks ago
One of the job i had the material, the guys came out did the job I was not present
second job the guys used air compression, nail gun. I provided all the tools for the job and the material
on Friday i have a guy coming out to put up a door, some dry wall
I will be helping with the dry wall
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:43pm On May 01, 2018
GoodFaith:

I have friend at work that their family help they build their houses, my friend was part of the builders
I full understand
One of the job i had the material, the guys came out did the job I was not present
second job the guys used air compression, nail gun. I provided all the tools for the job and the material

hello sir,

will love to see the picture of the dry wall.. if you dont mind
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 9:46pm On May 01, 2018
twinskenny:

hello sir,

will love to see the picture of the dry wall.. if you dont mind
Ok on Monday, I will show you the before and after photo
New project crazy
i have four months to completed the project
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:06pm On May 01, 2018
GoodFaith:

I full understand

River Niger was in existence before Mungo Park came exploring.
Community assisting one to build house is not DIY and it still exists till today.

If the dry wall you intend helping out is your build then it can be considered DIY.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by desiji: 10:47pm On May 01, 2018
dejavus:

Ermmm I think you got what the original poster said wrong.

He's merely pointing out that if you got some "paid" help in the actual act or carrying out the work done then he's suggesting its not entirely DIY except that definition fits the description of Doing it yourself in the Nigerian Context.

But what Nigerians general mean when they are talking about DIY is buying the materials themselves and employing some local people giving them instructions of what you need them to do rather than calling them to quote and carry out a job for you.

My 2 pence.
The only person that got the drift

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Marpol: 4:10am On May 02, 2018
mufutau55:

Try contacting @Allcopacetic here or one of his thread.
If he doesnt have it, he may point you in a right direction.

Hajji M.

Thanks boss.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 5:37am On May 02, 2018
diordaves:

Fantastically corrupt Nigerian termites.

/
Even if not for termites, construction projects should be done with local contents in mind. The Eskimos build igloos. The local Chinese use bamboo. Nigerians use blocks. Californians use wood. Am I going to build a house with wood in Nigeria because I want to be more Californian than the Californians? Hell no!

If we apply the wrong solution to a project because we want to copy from somewhere, it may not serve the intended purpose afterall.
I don't see anything technological about bamboo.

/

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 11:35am On May 02, 2018
mufutau55:

Try contacting @Allcopacetic here or one of his thread.
If he doesnt have it, he may point you in a right direction.

Hajji M.
Thanks alot Sir.

we don't have that unfortunately
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 12:37pm On May 02, 2018
bixton:

River Niger was in existence before Mungo Park came exploring.
Community assisting one to build house is not DIY and it still exists till today.

If the dry wall you intend helping out is your build then it can be considered DIY. [i][/i]

You got it--- "If the dry wall you intend helping out is your build then it can be considered DIY. "
co-worker is selling the house that was build by him and help from family
He moved 160 mile away
This weekend , he is having a pizza party - friends and family coming to help him paint

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:47am On May 03, 2018
Question for all Electrical Engineers, Electricians, Practising Professionals

1)Please what's the parameter(s) using a 1.5mm wire as against 1mm for lighting purposes?
2)What Amperage is tied to both wires to be used for the above given our stipulated voltage supply?

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 8:16am On May 03, 2018
bixton:
Before we go far off , I don't think the acronym DIY as used on this thread is right except probably its a Nigerian context.
DIY clearly means doing everything yourself and no external help and you ain't paying no other person for physically carrying out a job/work.
Anything other than that its either you term yourself as a project manager or any befitting title .

Let's educate ourselves accordingly and rightly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_it_yourself

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/diy

I didnt see where it said you must do everything yourself or without external help.

I only saw where it said without a professional or expert help.

I think if for example, i want to install kitchen cabinets in my new build and embark on it myself who is not a professional in capentry with extra hands who are not experts. The project is still DIY. The extra hand i hired is not an expert or professional too.

Once there is an expert or professional in the project, it ceases to be DIY.

Installing a Solar backup power system in my house using a local electrician to enter the ceiling is still DIY. The electrician may have no idea on the system i am installing.

A home owner building his house directing masons, carpenters etc is still DIY. He should have hired a professional builder to manage them but he did it himself with no professional help.

DIY is simply doing a job that would have been done by a professional without have the professional experience yourself.

An architect designing his own home is not DIY. A bricklayer building his house is not DIY. A mechanic repairing his own car is not DIY but a non mechanic like me doin my own repair is DIY.

I weigh a 100kg, do you expect me to climb the roof or enter the ceiling. Its not physically impossible but its not safe to do that part not that i dont know how.

Say you are installing a Mikano generator yourself if you hire a crane and its operator to lift it and drop, does that mean its not a DIY?

If you are installing a big panel of glass and you cant lift it alone, does that mean its not DIY?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:52am On May 03, 2018
adanny01:

I didnt see where it said you must do everything yourself or without external help.

I only saw where it said without a professional or expert help.

I think if for example, i want to install kitchen cabinets in my new build and embark on it myself who is not a professional in capentry with extra hands who are not experts. The project is still DIY. The extra hand i hired is not an expert or professional too.

Once there is an expert or professional in the project, it ceases to be DIY.

Installing a Solar backup power system in my house using a local electrician to enter the ceiling is still DIY. The electrician may have no idea on the system i am installing.

A home owner building his house directing masons, carpenters etc is still DIY. He should have hired a professional builder to manage them but he did it himself with no professional help.

DIY is simply doing a job that would have been done by a professional without have the professional experience yourself.

An architect designing his own home is not DIY. A bricklayer building his house is not DIY. A mechanic repairing his own car is not DIY but a non mechanic like me doin my own repair is DIY.

I weigh a 100kg, do you expect me to climb the roof or enter the ceiling. Its not physically impossible but its not safe to do that part not that i dont know how.

Say you are installing a Mikano generator yourself if you hire a crane and its operator to lift it and drop, does that mean its not a DIY?

If you are installing a big panel of glass and you cant lift it alone, does that mean its not DIY?

DIY is taking your time to do that which ordinarily you ought to pay to get the job done.

You can't be serious trying to put the bolded in this context.. Or perhaps the crane belongs to the DIY'er.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 10:16am On May 03, 2018
bixton:

DIY is taking your time to do that which ordinarily you ought to pay to get the job done.

You can't be serious trying to put the bolded in this context.. Or perhaps the crane belongs to the DIY'er.

In my humble opinion, your definition is not complete without the word professional or expert or someone with training and certification.

DIY is taking your time to do that which ordinarily you ought to pay (a professional) to get the job done.

Remove the professional and put yourself in his position qualifies the job DIY. You can pay yourself, it doesnt matter. If i hire a professional builder he hires masons. If i want DIY, i remove the builder, do his job by hiring a mason. This will be a DIY building. If i want a DIY plaster, i simple dont hire a mason and do it myself.

Are you saying every equipment must belong to the DIYer before it qualifies to be DIY? Where in the definitions did we get that insinuation?

There is this saying "hire a professional or Do it yourself".

If am not a professional and i am doing it, its DIY. I can borrow, hire, pay for equipment or labour to get jobs done which may be beyond my physical or financial ability.

Collins definition
DIY is the activity of making or repairing things yourself, especially in your home. DIY is an abbreviation for 'do-it-yourself'.

Wikipedia
Do it yourself (DIY) is the method of building, modifying, or repairing things without the direct aid of experts or professionals. [what about indirectly]

Wikipedia adds; Academic research describes DIY as behaviors where "individuals engage raw and semi-raw materials and component parts to produce, transform, or reconstruct material possessions, including those drawn from the natural environment (e.g. landscaping)".

I lay particular emphasis on the bolded.

Installing a Mikano generator is a professional job involving Electrical expertise. Delivering the generator set to a particular position does not take away the fact that the installation is a DIY project.

Lets not begin to redefine DIY.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 12:23pm On May 03, 2018
adanny01:

In my humble opinion, your definition is not complete without the word professional or expert or someone with training and certification.

DIY is taking your time to do that which ordinarily you ought to pay (a professional) to get the job done.

Remove the professional and put yourself in his position qualifies the job DIY. You can pay yourself, it doesnt matter. If i hire a professional builder he hires masons. If i want DIY, i remove the builder, do his job by hiring a mason. This will be a DIY building. If i want a DIY plaster, i simple dont hire a mason and do it myself.

Are you saying every equipment must belong to the DIYer before it qualifies to be DIY? Where in the definitions did we get that insinuation?

There is this saying "hire a professional or Do it yourself".

If am not a professional and i am doing it, its DIY. I can borrow, hire, pay for equipment or labour to get jobs done which may be beyond my physical or financial ability.

Collins definition
DIY is the activity of making or repairing things yourself, especially in your home. DIY is an abbreviation for 'do-it-yourself'.

Wikipedia
Do it yourself (DIY) is the method of building, modifying, or repairing things without the direct aid of experts or professionals. [what about indirectly]

Wikipedia adds; Academic research describes DIY as behaviors where "individuals engage raw and semi-raw materials and component parts to produce, transform, or reconstruct material possessions, including those drawn from the natural environment (e.g. landscaping)".

I lay particular emphasis on the bolded.

Installing a Mikano generator is a professional job involving Electrical expertise. Delivering the generator set to a particular position does not take away the fact that the installation is a DIY project.

Lets not begin to redefine DIY.

It has already been redefined by all and we have all learned.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by psychologist(m): 12:24pm On May 03, 2018
Hello house, please the building am staying in the village is leaking water from the slab what measures can I take ASAP.

The house has been built for a while and just left decking level, but over time it started dripping water from the slab, I know it's a building deffect from onset, but I need advise on What to do about it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 12:26pm On May 03, 2018
psychologist:
Hello house, please the building am staying in the village is leaking water from the slab what measures can I take ASAP.

The house has been built for a while and just left decking level, but over time it started dripping water from the slab, I know it's a building deffect from onset, but I need advise on What to do about it

You can post a pix of the affected area of the slab so it'll be easy to know the best way to give advice.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by psychologist(m): 12:34pm On May 03, 2018
bixton:

You can post a pix of the affected area of the slab so it'll be easy to know the best way to give advice.
That is the issue...
The building is in the village and am in Lagos, I plan on traveling next week to get it fixed, so I just want to have idea on Where to start, and also prepare ahead.

But Wat are the common solutions you can proffer sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 1:55pm On May 03, 2018
psychologist:

That is the issue...
The building is in the village and am in Lagos, I plan on traveling next week to get it fixed, so I just want to have idea on Where to start, and also prepare ahead.

But Wat are the common solutions you can proffer sir

no plan to roof the house? as in any building coming on top the deck? felting might be good ideal
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by psychologist(m): 2:00pm On May 03, 2018
twinskenny:

no plan to roof the house? as in any building coming on top the deck? felting might be good ideal
The structure is kinda old, so we arnt planning on adding another storey on it....thanks for your advise I do consider that.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ladiesmirror(m): 2:11pm On May 03, 2018
abdulwastecx:

you can have a sizeable three bedroom flat with good space to pack 3 vehicle in front of the building.

something like this can enter the plot comfortably:
three bedroom each : 12ft x 12ft
three toilet each : 4 x 8ft
kitchen : 8ft x 8ft
dining : 8ft x 8ft
living room : 16 x 14ft
store : 4 x 4ft

total floor area = 1024square feet
plot size = 2000square feet

Wow... I have 50/50 plot of land and I was thinking if it's possible to build 3 Bedroom Flat on it.... Can u help me out
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 2:14pm On May 03, 2018
psychologist:

Go through this thread you will find solution to it

https://www.nairaland.com/2416752/permanent-solution-structural-leakage

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 2:27pm On May 03, 2018
psychologist:

If u exposed concrete to rain for too long without water proof admixtures or felt, it will leak.
If there is no plan of erecting the upper floor, any good water proof admixtures for concrete roof should be employed.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 2:42pm On May 03, 2018
psychologist:

The structure is kinda old, so we arnt planning on adding another storey on it....thanks for your advise I do consider that.

Put a roof over it or felt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 2:46pm On May 03, 2018
ladiesmirror:

Wow... I have 50/50 plot of land and I was thinking if it's possible to build 3 Bedroom Flat on it.... Can u help me out
The rooms may likely not be up to standard size & u gonna be coming out of your compound to the road by driving backward.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 2:53pm On May 03, 2018
ladiesmirror:

Most definately
You would even have adequate space to park 2cars self with airspace
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:52pm On May 03, 2018
psychologist:

If you are not planning on an additional floor, just roof it. Flat roof will do. This is the best option. Same amount with other solutions being suggested. Other solutions will fail in a couple of months. Just roof it. It's done.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (961) (962) (963) (964) (965) (966) (967) ... (3735) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.