Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,409 members, 7,944,067 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 10:50 AM

Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? (6592 Views)

Very Low-intellectual Youths In Nigeria: Who's To Blame-schools Or Parents? / Please Help!who Do I Confess To,pastor Or My Wife? / Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by osegwu(m): 3:06pm On Oct 14, 2006
Well, as far as I know, this is a little dicey.
I am suppose to be getting marriad this year
but the problem is that the girl of my choice is not a graduate.
My family say no.As for the pastor I don't consider him as that important.
but the irony of it all is that i have made up my mind to
to marry this lady and that is my final decision. IRIVOCABLE ::;
aaThe others can advice but is my prerogative to say no and i have said no.
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by Nobody: 12:16am On Oct 15, 2006
osegwu:

Well, as far as I know, this is a little dicey.
I am suppose to be getting marriad this year
but the problem is that the girl of my choice is not a graduate.
My family say no.As for the pastor I don't consider him as that important.
but the irony of it all is that i have made up my mind to
to marry this lady and that is my final decision. IRIVOCABLE ::;
aaThe others can advice but is my prerogative to say no and i have said no.

You love her dearly and she loves you too and your parents say no just because she's not a univesity graduate, that's very shallow.
I hope they can come around and change their opinions because you'll need them along the way.
If your parents know you call the shots,they are bound to follow.
All the best in your upcoming wedding.
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by dennylove(m): 12:31am On Oct 15, 2006
see, let's get this thing straight,in the civilized world of today, my parent can't decide for me on whom to marry,not to talk of the pastor,but,if there's any decision,my parent should be inthe best position to do that not the pastor.
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by mamaput(f): 11:21am On Oct 15, 2006
Well i guess if i had a Pastor i would like to hear what he has to tell me about my wannabe hubby.
But he will not be the one to pick him for me.
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by mamaput(f): 11:26am On Oct 15, 2006
Babyosisi i too will not waht my kids to marry any one less educated that them.
The Parents can for see problems comming up that he cannot.
If he makes it in life, he will be attending cocktail parties etc etc.
Some one will have to do the homework with the children, meet the teacher etc etc.
Its different if she dose not work ,but people ill be asking her what she dose , did.
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by Seun(m): 11:43am On Oct 15, 2006
I won't bother to ask my parents because there's nothing I've ever wanted to do that they did not oppose!
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by vizion: 6:35pm On Oct 15, 2006
as with all other decisions in life, i strongly believe that since one is going to personally bear the burnt of his or her actions, s/he should get as much advise as they please but the final decision should be that of the person(s) concerned
in this case, those of the intending couple
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by naija4life(f): 7:18pm On Oct 15, 2006
vizion:

as with all other decisions in life, i strongly believe that since one is going to personally bear the burnt of his or her actions, s/he should get as much advise as they please but the final decision should be that of the person(s) concerned
in this case, those of the intending couple

Thank you very much Vizion, i dont know why we're all still deliberating about this. The people involved will still have the final say after everything unless they are attending Rev Dr KING'S church where everything he say is FINAL.

personally, when am ready to get married, i'll just ask my parents consent and then intimate my pastor of when the wedding bells will ring, PERID. If he's not ready tomarry us, then i'll find another church thats ready, haba
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by ronkebaby(f): 10:15pm On Oct 15, 2006
I still feel it is good to be guided and seek counsel. there are times you feel you know the person you are getting married to and you do not. Marriage is always a different experience to courtship. You only get to know the real person you are married to after marriage. Yeah, the ultimate decision lies with you, but you need a wise counsel and lots of prayers too to pick right! In fact, you really need to be at alert. Some of us speaking are married and know what we are saying. Cheers!
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by osteen(m): 10:26am On Oct 16, 2006
Parents can have a say in ur relationship but should nt be allowed to have a final decission cos that is soulely for the ppl in the relationship, but the pastor is out of it, they should hands off making decissions for their members.
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by oge4real(f): 2:13pm On Oct 16, 2006
i think d ultimate decision lies with u.d bible even says;he that FINDETH a wife findeth agood thing and not he whose pastor or parents giveth a wife.
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by uchetobi(f): 12:48pm On Oct 17, 2006
@Seun I thought as much
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 17, 2006
The Pastor has NO place in helping me to decide who to marry. The Pastor is supposed to be a guide, not your backbone. The pastor does not know your little quirks and idiosyncracies like how you love to walk about the house in ONLY socks, how you ALWAYS love to hold your fiance, how you love to arrange your stuff in your wardrobe, how you prefer breakfast at 10 am, whether kissing bothers you, and all those things that DETERMINE if you will get on the nerves of the person you live with.

Fine, you love this person (don't we all!), but can you LIVE for 70+ years with them? Your pastor will NEVER be able to tell you that, so what is his business telling you who and who not to marry? The only places i see a valid ticket for letting him in are:
[list]
[li]if u are about to do something stupid like marrying a man/woman whose religious beliefs obviously oppose yours but you are currently "blinded" by love.[/li]
[li]The person is spiritually a THREAT to you (dont you go rolling your eyes, these things are real), but you are too inexperienced/ignorant to notice[/li]
[li]The pastor himself is interested wink heh heh [/li]
[/list]
Even with these, he does not have the FINAL SAY, he can only advise/guide you. Pastors abuse their positions these days.

But when u are talking of the parents, hmmm, you DO need their consent, but only when the conditions are reasonable; They are older and have seen relationships crash, so they will be able to tell you the things you need to watch out for. Besides, in most cases they are the people who know your personality the most (unfortunately in nigeria of today the parents dont even know who their kids are cos they dont bother or are too busy chasing money).
But some parents are just plain SELFISH and are only thinking of themselves, of what the society will say if their daughter marries a "pauper" (this "pauper" is earning like 50K a month o!), or what their friends will say if their child brings somebody from another tribe. Boatload of crap! Parents that say their child cannot marry somebody because they think they are e.g. astrologically incompatible, are simply CRAZY. Some parents look at the intending married couple and make a shortsighted judgement of how financially beneficial the relatioship will be to them, and start mumbling and stamping their feet, producing excuses like "i had a dream, he's not for you" and shit like that.
Parents who truly want their child's hapiness should not carry out a prejudiced, vindictive gestapo-like inquisition on the intended spouse, but rather get to know them and who they really are (not what his grandfather did 50 years ago or what society thinks of their family)

The decision lies with YOU. if your parents cannot produce a valid, defensible and biblically backed-up reason why the two shouldn't marry - better get a couple of friends and head for the registry, cos they wont get off your case. Its annoying how some parents will watch a 5-year-plus relationship grow and say nothing, never offering their opinion or advice or even help, and think the intending couple will just "SPLIT" at their command when they "realise" that the couple is "serious". Load of crap.
Your pastor can only guide you, give suggestions of what to do, how to understand and help each other, NOT "we have prayed and found that it is Ok for you to marry brother XYZ, who asked us for permission 4 weeks ago". Notify them, yes, i recommend it, but NEVER ask them for permission - it is not THEIRS to give. If you are so dependent/spineless/immature that you cant pray/receive a message from God yourself, you probably shouldnt be marrying in the first place.

Take their advice, pool it, and sieve what is useful. Run it by a few minds that have no stake in the issue (no relatives, no leeches, no dependents, etc) and listen to their honest evaluation. Pray about it (hell, everybody feigns some form of spirituality here!)and then CHOOSE what YOU want to do.

I am constantly annoyed with this (Nigerian) hypocritical society.
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by EbonicSoul(f): 5:17pm On Oct 17, 2006
Neither!
Urs do tongue
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by Hugoboi(m): 5:18pm On Oct 17, 2006
word!!

how can one even think of it!!
Final decision is mine and mine alone!
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by ronkebaby(f): 8:53am On Oct 18, 2006
Gridlock:

]
Take their advice, pool it, and sieve what is useful. Run it by a few minds that have no stake in the issue (no relatives, no leeches, no dependents, etc) and listen to their honest evaluation. Pray about it (hell, everybody feigns some form of spirituality here!)and then CHOOSE what YOU want to do.

[size=8pt]Now, there goes some of my opinion on this topic. You need guidance at times [b][[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]size=8pt]even though [size=8pt][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]the final decision lies with you. Remember some come in sheep clothings and are wolves! A lot of would be partners pretend to be who they are not just to get you hooked to you. 20 years of courtship would not always reveal the real person you are dating to you. Haven't you heard of people who dated for over 10 years, got married to each other, yet the marriage did not last a year?. You can never claim to know someone so well until you are married to him/her. I have heard also for example, a sister thought she was getting married to a xtian, just for her to be be married and the brother said, he only pretended to be such becuase he wanted her at all costs and that he is a practising muslim. I still insist you need counsel from experienced people before making a choice. Marriage is like a trap as you can never bolt out once in it and your expectations are not fulfilled, except if you are of the liberal mind that do not find anything wrong in divorce. Even when I was much younger, our core traditional beliefs (am Yoruba) says when you bring a partner home, your parents are supposed to carry our investigations to see i.e. if he/she and lineage is free from hereditary ailments, madness, curses e.t.c. This is to show the need to seek advice before taking a decision on who to marry!!![/font][/size][/size][/size][size=8pt][/size][/font][/b]
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by ronkebaby(f): 9:02am On Oct 18, 2006
Gridlock:

Take their advice, pool it, and sieve what is useful. Run it by a few minds that have no stake in the issue (no relatives, no leeches, no dependents, etc) and listen to their honest evaluation. Pray about it (hell, everybody feigns some form of spirituality here!)and then CHOOSE what YOU want

quote]

You need guidance at times even though the final decision lies with you. Remember some come in sheep clothings and are wolves! A lot of would be partners pretend to be who they are not just to get you hooked to you. 20 years of courtship would not always reveal the real person you are dating to you. Haven't you heard of people who dated for over 10 years, got married to each other, yet the marriage did not last a year?. You can never claim to know someone so well until you are married to him/her. I have heard also for example, a sister thought she was getting married to a xtian, just for her to be be married and the brother said, he only pretended to be such becuase he wanted her at all costs and that he is a practising muslim. I still insist you need counsel from experienced people before making a choice. Marriage is like a trap as you can never bolt out once in it and your expectations are not fulfilled, except if you are of the liberal mind that do not find anything wrong in divorce. Even when I was much younger, our core traditional beliefs (am Yoruba) says when you bring a partner home, your parents are supposed to carry our investigations to see i.e. if he/she and lineage is free from hereditary ailments, madness, curses e.t.c. This is to show the need to seek advice before taking a decision on who to marry!!!
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by dominobaby(f): 6:08pm On Oct 18, 2006
@ gridlock, that was a loadful and it made sense.

There aint no point me writing anymore cos i would just be repeating your words!
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by akintoso1(m): 6:54pm On Oct 18, 2006
Seun:

I won't bother to ask my parents because there's nothing I've ever wanted to do that they did not oppose!

@ SEUN

Judgin from ur submission, i guess you must be a bad boy then grin grin grin
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by laudate: 7:22pm On Oct 18, 2006
mamaput:

Babyosisi i too will not waht my kids to marry any one less educated that them.
The Parents can for see problems comming up that he cannot.
If he makes it in life, he will be attending cocktail parties etc etc.
Some one will have to do the homework with the children, meet the teacher etc etc.
Its different if she dose not work ,but people ill be asking her what she dose , did.

This issue of marrying a graduate or a non-graduate, is neither here nor there. The most important questions are:
- Does the guy love the girl enough to accept her the way she is, with or without a first degree?
-Are they spiritually & physically compatible?
-Do they share similar views or outlook on life?
-Do they feel comfortable in each other's company etc.
-How do they handle or resolve money matters?

There is a long list of other issues that need to be properly addressed & thrashed out.

Seeing the four walls of a university or having a university certificate, is not a do-or-die affair. The guy can always send her to university later, if she wants to improve on her educational qualifications. Many married couples in the sixties, did this. A lot of men married wives who were less educationally endowed than they were, and proceeded to brush up those women, by either sending them to university or vocational schools, at home and abroad. A lot of those women turned out so well, that you could not believe they had NOT been to a finishing school.

I know some so-called graduates who attended university and lack articulate oral and written skills in English. I also know a few women who attended just secretarial schools and yet, they would beat some of these graduates in a spelling contest.

I had a relative whose wife was a confidential secretary for many years, before she later went to university in the tenth year of their marriage. Before she entered the university, she helped a lot of us young people with our homework. And we excelled. Thanks to her tutelage.
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 18, 2006
@laudate: WORD! and welcome to nairaland!
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by jaybaby(f): 10:20pm On Oct 19, 2006
mY PARENTS
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by ronkebaby(f): 11:13pm On Oct 19, 2006
I have been wanting to ask you guys that feel the decision is yours and yours alone whether you have not observed that in today modern days, the divorce rate is so much more on the increase compared to the olden days when parents were actively involved in the choice of married partners for their wards.

Don't you think it is this way because your choice without any advise/input from anyone is often flawed most of the time. pple could be very pretentious. You might think you are in love because of the outward appearance a would be spouse is putting up, not knowing he is hiding his/real identity.

It takes a matured mind that could discern to sometimes see that which is hidden to the ordinary eyes. You can never beat the wisdom of the elderly in cases like this!
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Oct 19, 2006
ronkebaby:

I have been wanting to ask you guys that feel the decision is yours and yours alone whether you have not observed that in today modern days, the divorce rate is so much more on the increase compared to the olden days when parents were actively involved in the choice of married partners for their wards.

Don't you think it is this way because your choice without any advise/input from anyone is often flawed most of the time. people could be very pretentious. You might think you are in love because of the outward appearance a would be spouse is putting up, not knowing he is hiding his/real identity.

It takes a matured mind that could discern to sometimes see that which is hidden to the ordinary eyes. You can never beat the wisdom of the elderly in cases like this!

My dear sis,let's leave mama and papa in this.
The divorce rate is higher not because people are now choosing their own spouses but because woman are beginning to say NO, loud and clear to abusive husbands.
They are refusing to be punching bags,sex gratifying objects,called names and humiliated in public by men that had vowed at the altar to love and cherish them.
Most women now have jobs while in some of our parents and grandparents days they depended solely on the man for livelihood,a man that also took care of her own family such that a divorce would  be a big blow financially to her family,she stayed and endured the beatings and ill treatments and threats of the man marrying a second wife in some instances.

Parents have wisdom I agree and we should honor them as the Bible says but a man shall find his own wife as the Bible says too.
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by Mystique(f): 7:32am On Oct 20, 2006
Neither of them, GOD has the final say!! smiley
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by ronkebaby(f): 8:46am On Oct 20, 2006
babyosisi:

My dear sis,let's leave mama and papa in this.
The divorce rate is higher not because people are now choosing their own spouses but because woman are beginning to say NO, loud and clear to abusive husbands.
They are refusing to be punching bags,sex gratifying objects,called names and humiliated in public by men that had vowed at the altar to love and cherish them.
Most women now have jobs while in some of our parents and grandparents days they depended solely on the man for livelihood,a man that also took care of her own family such that a divorce would be a big blow financially to her family,she stayed and endured the beatings and ill treatments and threats of the man marrying a second wife in some instances.

Parents have wisdom I agree and we should honor them as the Bible says but a man shall find his own wife as the Bible says too.

I find the above post by your a bit contradictory. If the divorce rate is higher now becos of the reasons you outlined above, it still goes to prove that wrong choices were made. Otherwise, why would an angel of a husband suddenly turn abusive, use u as a sex gratifying object etc. the same men that professed to love and cherish u till death put apart on the alter?.

This yet proves the essence of seeking advise before choosing marriage partners. Most of our so called parents are experienced, having been through one of two of such experiences themselves and want to help us not to make such mistakes they made. They also observe things better than us. I tell you the developed countries of the world have the highest divorce rates in comparison to ours. And these are pple that often act independly of their parents i.e. making their own choices. How come their marriages don't last?

This trend is getting into our system because we tend to naturally copy anything stamped 'made abroad'. I say it from the experience of a married lady that I am, most ladies that seek opinion in the choice of their married partners tend to be more successful in marriage.

When I chose my hubby for instance, I sought no consent. I have seen so many things that put me off about him/family set up hidden to me in courtship now in marriage. Not withstanding the fact that I dated him for years (almost 6). Now, I always wish I had taken time to seek counsel and make enquiries before choosing him as a married patner.
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by laudate: 3:08pm On Oct 20, 2006
ronkebaby:

This yet proves the essence of seeking advise before choosing marriage partners. Most of our so called parents are experienced, having been through one of two of such experiences themselves and want to help us not to make such mistakes they made. They also observe things better than us. I tell you the developed countries of the world have the highest divorce rates in comparison to ours. And these are people that often act independly of their parents i.e. making their own choices. How come their marriages don't last?

Um, [/i]is it in all cases where people choose their own spouses that their marriages break up? Yes, I agree, our parents are experienced in most cases. But they are also[i] human and liable to make subjective statements. I have seen parents disuade their children from marrying from a particular area, simply because[i] the person does Not speak their language, [/i] or simply because "they heard that people from that area behave in a particular way". What is the name for this kind of mentality? Prejudice. Pure & simple. In many cases, they have not had any close up interaction with the person their son/daughter is dating or wants to marry; they know little or nothing about the person's personality & even far less about that person's character. Yet, they don't want that relationship, simply because their son/daughter's suitor is from a different district.

ronkebaby:

This trend is getting into our system because we tend to naturally copy anything stamped 'made abroad'. I say it from the experience of a married lady that I am, most ladies that seek opinion in the choice of their married partners tend to be more successful in marriage.

Oh dear, what kind of 'opinions' are prospective brides supposed to be seeking? We need to be careful of where we draw counsel from. Some biased people have been known to mislead others with their counsel. What women need to do is open their eyes, ears and study their men properly, before they commit to such guys.

Usually when a relationship or a marriage breaks up, a lot of women confess that they saw the signs early on during courtship that the guy had some traits they were uncomfortable with, but they went ahead in the hope that they could change the guy after marriage.

Some parents have their own preferences for a certain type of person, that they would like their kids to get married to, while ignoring the feelings of their kids or forgetting that these are different times and this is a different generation.

Marriage lasted in the past, when parents made the choices on behalf of their kids, because many women were not finacially independent or were at an educational disadvantage.

]
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Oct 20, 2006
ronkebaby:

I find the above post by your a bit contradictory. If the divorce rate is higher now because of the reasons you outlined above, it still goes to prove that wrong choices were made. Otherwise, why would an angel of a husband suddenly turn abusive, use u as a sex gratifying object etc. the same men that professed to love and cherish u till death put apart on the alter?.

This yet proves the essence of seeking advise before choosing marriage partners. Most of our so called parents are experienced, having been through one of two of such experiences themselves and want to help us not to make such mistakes they made. They also observe things better than us. I tell you the developed countries of the world have the highest divorce rates in comparison to ours. And these are people that often act independly of their parents i.e. making their own choices. How come their marriages don't last?

When I chose my hubby for instance, I sought no consent. I have seen so many things that put me off about him/family set up hidden to me in courtship now in marriage. Not withstanding the fact that I dated him for years (almost 6). Now, I always wish I had taken time to seek counsel and make enquiries before choosing him as a married patner.

There is no contradiction whatsoever.
The women stayed despite the abuse back then but with modernisation,they are not taking it anymore hence the apparent increase in divorce rate.

It was a taboo to get divorced,still is in our soceity.
So women stayed and pretended all was well when infact they were miserable.
Many women in abusive marriages today leave that doesn't mean our grandmothers who stayed were any happier.

I don't know how simpler to make it.
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by marlet01(m): 11:26am On Oct 21, 2006
actually in the process of marriage if you are sure of the partner and either of your parent's don't agree with you den you can go ahead, consult your pastor if he agrees to join you in the holy matrimony den his decision is final as for me i think the pastor has the final say in marriage cos i know of marriages that the parent's of both the man and woman didn't approve of yet dey were still joined and are together now so you can also live the same way, one day your parents would come and look for you , just have patient.
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by fayalitte: 3:24am On Oct 25, 2006
My parents maybe! but Pastor, hell NO, where is the pastor coming from to have a say on whom, i marry.But if i go toast babes for church for those kind singles fellowship, then the Pastor has a say. But i can never go to a singles fellowship to find a wife because i am not looking at marrying frustrated and desperate babes. The singles fellowship is for frustrated and desperate babes who feel the time is ticking away. My parents can advise but the decision is totally mine and mine alone with the woman concerned. chikena!!
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by BlackMamba(m): 5:53pm On Oct 25, 2006
PASTOR
Don't get me started. They should just mind their collection plates.
Re: Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Oct 26, 2006
BlackMamba:

PASTOR
Don't get me started. They should just mind their collection plates.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Desperate Woman Slept With Her Son To Have A Child For Her Husband / House Wife Caught Making Love To Gate Man On Her Matrimonial Bed(photo) / I Made The Worst Mistake Of My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.